Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Thesaurus posted:

Thanks for the excellent advice and tough love, everyone.

If things don't turn out well for me after applying and giving it my best shot, I will take your advice and "seriously, don't go."

For the record, I'm more interested in working on migrant labor issues (safe working conditions, fair wages, etc.) than in bilking ignorant Mexicans until they get deported... although I'm not going to rule that out entirely :ese:

Another question for you hard-nosed types:

-How realistic is it to make a living with your own practice?

You basically want to work for CRLA. I think that is really the only major group doing what you want. It is California only.
There's a bit less competition for that than the ACLU (ha!), but isn't exactly easy.
If this is what you want to do:
Get fluent in spanish. Oh and a third language is preferred.
Work for them for a while (maybe for free) to see if you want to work there.
Go to yale or a top CA law school (UCLA > T14 that isn't yale, harvard, or CA)
Work there 1L and 2L summer (for free)
Kick rear end
Work for free post bar
Get lucky
Get underpaid and live in Bakersfield. A 3+ year supervisior gets paid 45-75k. 45k doesn't even go far in Bakersfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

nm posted:

You basically want to work for CRLA.

Weird moment of confusion there where my brain saw "CRLA" but I interpreted it as "CLRA." Can tell I've been working on this arbitration memo for far too long.

zilong
Jun 14, 2007
;o;

Mons Hubris posted:

Welp just got a call from the General Assembly offering me my dream job. Seeya later Patent Office, I guess.

Go to law school kids, dreams do come true.

How do I bribe your SPE into giving me your job?

Only two more weeks left until the PTO or OPM or whoever the gently caress has my application now makes a decision :suicide:

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Precedent? What's that?
Pick the path that makes least sense
Scalia cackles

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

zilong posted:

How do I bribe your SPE into giving me your job?

Only two more weeks left until the PTO or OPM or whoever the gently caress has my application now makes a decision :suicide:

What discipline did you apply under? I know my SPE in Chem E is still looking for at least one more person besides me to handle distillation.

zilong
Jun 14, 2007
;o;

Mons Hubris posted:

What discipline did you apply under? I know my SPE in Chem E is still looking for at least one more person besides me to handle distillation.

I applied under the chemistry opening, but told the interviewer from TC1700 that I could be a good fit for a bunch of the units in 1600 and 1700.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

entris posted:

'pop' haiku offends
you must write symphonies or
you are weeaboo
So do better, under your (mostly spot-on) rules?

from cherry blossoms
to law's corinthian fount
is but half a ri

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
all these poems suck because they are written by "people" with dead souls

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

US News, racket
Rankings are falsehoods, like law
We play by their rules

edit: what's the kanji for "springtime for Hitler in germany?"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Green Crayons posted:

Go into politics. Lawyers generally only make change (which it looks like you want to do) in those fuzzy, gray areas on the edges of what legislation politicians pass. And only after the fact, in total reactionary mode. And limited by specific factual circumstances.

Go into politics.

Where you'll get paid even less, assuming you can get a job that could have a meaningful impact on policy. And then realize that hahaha there is basically no chance you're going to get anything meaningful passed from your lowly position without browbeating the poo poo out of other people. Oh, and by the way, legislation on immigration policy that isn't horribly reactionary is completely unpassable right now, so have fun with that.

I worked in a legislative shop doing substantive work. I now work in biglaw. Biglaw is less soul crushing (also less of a fun environment, although I actually enjoy the work equally).

(but, uh, congrats Mons Hubris - glad to hear that job panned out for you after all. Ignore my cynicism, there are good points to it that I'm glossing over.)

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Kalman posted:

(but, uh, congrats Mons Hubris - glad to hear that job panned out for you after all. Ignore my cynicism, there are good points to it that I'm glossing over.)

Haha thanks, luckily I'm not forming the policy myself in this job, it's a staff attorney position. As far as state government attorney jobs go, it's about the cushiest we have.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Kalman posted:

I worked in a legislative shop doing substantive work. I now work in biglaw. Biglaw is less soul crushing (also less of a fun environment, although I actually enjoy the work equally).

What don't you like about the environment? (Also, what metro is it, if you think that's relevant?)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Kalman posted:

Where you'll get paid even less, assuming you can get a job that could have a meaningful impact on policy. And then realize that hahaha there is basically no chance you're going to get anything meaningful passed from your lowly position without browbeating the poo poo out of other people. Oh, and by the way, legislation on immigration policy that isn't horribly reactionary is completely unpassable right now, so have fun with that.

I had an interview with the Washington Legislative Office of the ACLU where the interviewer came right out and said: "If we tread water and don't lose ground to right-wing fucks, we have done all we can do right now."

Basically politics is more soul-crushing than biglaw unless you really hate browns and poors.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sulecrist posted:

What don't you like about the environment? (Also, what metro is it, if you think that's relevant?)

Still the DC market, I didn't move metro areas. I actually like the environment at my firm and the people as well, but the particular legislative office I was in was really tightly knit and generally a fantastic group of people who I still hang out with. My group in my firm is friendly and I like them, but not to the same degree of enjoying spending time with them outside of work.

Plus, I no longer get to write things that might wind up on the evening news.

edit: Yes, I should have been clearer. Warszawa is right: if you hate poor people and brown people and generally enjoy loving over anyone who isn't rich/making sure that nothing that needs to happen can possibly happen (i.e. you are a Republican), now is a GREAT time to get into politics.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Kalman posted:

Plus, I no longer get to write things that might wind up on the evening news.

Yeah you can, you just have to really apply yourself.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Kalman posted:

Still the DC market, I didn't move metro areas. I actually like the environment at my firm and the people as well, but the particular legislative office I was in was really tightly knit and generally a fantastic group of people who I still hang out with. My group in my firm is friendly and I like them, but not to the same degree of enjoying spending time with them outside of work.

Gotcha, okay. That's something that's really important to me. The people at the DA's office were nice, but I wouldn't really want to accidentally run into any of them at a supermarket or go to a ballgame on the weekend. The associates at the firm (and this office "only" has about fifty lawyers) tended to be people I could get pretty sauced with. The partners were cordial but overwhelmingly Republican, but there are a couple of closet liberal associates that immediately recognized and accepted me and did stuff like quietly inviting me into their offices for cheeky beers when the ACA ruling came down. And, when necessary, talked a lot of poo poo about the job and urinated in public, but not at the same time. Those things aren't by themselves important, but I think they were signifiers. I bet none of the ADAs ever pee on walls.

I disliked about half of the other summers, but that's neither here nor there.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
"You can do these two
Things." "There's nothing I can do?"
Legal help hotline

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

echopapa posted:

"You can do these two
Things." "There's nothing I can do?"
Legal help hotline

I did not pay rent
Have no money. Can I stay?
No, you can't. Legal aid.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Incredulous Red posted:

No, you can't. Legal aid.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Guantanamo Bay
effectively- the court rules
torture legalized

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I was going to
save pandas. Nope. gently caress white men.
I hate everything.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
code:
all these 

haikus 
                 s
                  u
                   c
                    k:

stop it
you   
   faggots
--a poem in the style of e.e. cummings by forums poster J Miracle

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Seriously guys, enough with the lame haikus. Let's move on shall we.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I don't want to have the last one.

I don't even like them :mad:

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 18, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
God those are awful, I sincerely loathe all of you.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
A haiku contest?
Garbage poetry inbound.
That poo poo sucks you fag.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Kalman posted:

I didn't say going into politics was fun or paid well. But by the sound of Thesaurus' post, what he wants to do in life futilely struggle to accomplish is more suited for the political arena -- not the legal arena.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Hey! Look! Emory Intentionally Cheated on Rankings for More Than Ten Years.

TaxProf Blog posted:

Emory launched an investigation in May after John Latting, the new dean of admissions, discovered data discrepancies. The investigation found that Emory:

- Used admitted students' SAT/ACT data instead of enrolled students since at least 2000. This overstated Emory's test scores.
- May have excluded the scores of the bottom 10% of students when reporting SAT/ACT scores, GPAs, and other information. This practice was not followed after 2004.
- Overstated class rankings.
Sorry Omerta. :smith:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I am a doctor
Thankful I am not in law
Why do I read this?

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of doctors, we had one of the medical sort call us up in response to a subpoena and demand money. He literally said "anyone who's anyone around here says I should ask for money to show up in court" and went on about how he wasn't impressed by court and that he was an important professional who needed to be paid if we wanted to meet with him. After the laughter subsided, we had someone with a gruff voice call him back five minutes and he completely changed his tune, but a little part of me hopes he doesn't show up so that he can have an all expenses paid vacation in one of our fine county establishments.

you really interned in the wrong DA's office, or you're just an odd person, I don't know. But at any rate, don't large firms basically treat your summer like a honeymoon, and then when they take you on as an actual lawyer they poo poo all over you? That sort of radical shift shouldn't occur in the DA's office, although maybe your DA's office is different in that sense, too.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 18, 2012

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

J Miracle posted:

all these poems suck because they are written by "people" with dead souls

The Truest Post

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

entris posted:

God those are awful, I sincerely loathe all of you.

-not concrete
-not comparative
-no season or nature
-overstated emotion
-no good reason for 13 vs. 17 syllables

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sulecrist posted:

Gotcha, okay. That's something that's really important to me. The people at the DA's office were nice, but I wouldn't really want to accidentally run into any of them at a supermarket or go to a ballgame on the weekend. The associates at the firm (and this office "only" has about fifty lawyers) tended to be people I could get pretty sauced with. The partners were cordial but overwhelmingly Republican, but there are a couple of closet liberal associates that immediately recognized and accepted me and did stuff like quietly inviting me into their offices for cheeky beers when the ACA ruling came down. And, when necessary, talked a lot of poo poo about the job and urinated in public, but not at the same time. Those things aren't by themselves important, but I think they were signifiers. I bet none of the ADAs ever pee on walls.

I disliked about half of the other summers, but that's neither here nor there.

This is why you should have gone PD.
At my latest MCLE, we almost got kicked out of our facility for weed and booze.

Agesilaus posted:

Speaking of doctors, we had one of the medical sort call us up in response to a subpoena and demand money. He literally said "anyone who's anyone around here says I should ask for money to show up in court" and went on about how he wasn't impressed by court and that he was an important professional who needed to be paid if we wanted to meet with him. After the laughter subsided, we had someone with a gruff voice call him back five minutes and he completely changed his tune, but a little part of me hopes he doesn't show up so that he can have an all expenses paid vacation in one of our fine county establishments.
Is he an expert witness?
If so does IL not have a huge amount of laws regarding that? In CA, if I subbed a doctor as an expert we'd be paying him a small fortune if we didn't have a fee agreement and/or have the judge kill me.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 18, 2012

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

joat mon posted:

-not concrete
-not comparative
-no season or nature
-overstated emotion
-no good reason for 13 vs. 17 syllables

hey now. turds are both concrete, comparative, and of nature. Mine was at least well crafted :colbert:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

nm posted:

Is he an expert witness?
If so does IL not have a huge amount of laws regarding that? In CA, if I subbed a doctor as an expert we'd be paying him a small fortune if we didn't have a fee agreement and/or have the judge kill me.
If he is being subpoenaed, he is a fact witness.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

gvibes posted:

If he is being subpoenaed, he is a fact witness.

We subpoena experts here. Don't know what you guys do.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

nm posted:

We subpoena experts here. Don't know what you guys do.
Come to think of that, I have seen that before (I am in Chicago but have never actually practiced in Illinois).

e: But he is obviously not any party's retained expert here, or whatever party retained him would be paying the doctor to do whatever.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gvibes posted:

Come to think of that, I have seen that before (I am in Chicago but have never actually practiced in Illinois).

e: But he is obviously not any party's retained expert here, or whatever party retained him would be paying the doctor to do whatever.

yeh gvibes is right, he's being subpoenaed in because we want him to testify as an occurrence witness. Might send out some people to have him personally served; it's actually not my case but we all found it amusing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mons Hubris posted:

Welp just got a call from the General Assembly offering me my dream job. Seeya later Patent Office, I guess.

Go to law school kids, dreams do come true.

Quit loving up this threads pessimism with happy endings. :argh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

gvibes posted:

That situation can go on for experts here. For example, there was an issue where a DAs office outsourced blood tests. They then ended the contract and the Da took the lab in house.
After that, the blood test company demanded thousands per appearance. Lots of dismissed DUIs and drug cases ( they also did the drug tests). It was pretty cool. They did try to sub the experts in in some cases, but it didn't work out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nern
Oct 29, 2005

RIDE RIDIN LIKE THE DEMON INSIDE YOUR DREAMS
MOVED POST TO APPROPRIATE THREAD

nern fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 20, 2012