Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

lazerwolf posted:

My Chocolate Milk Stout kit just arrived from NB! I am excited to get this thing brewed up. I know you can dry hop in primary with no problem but what about stuff like Cacao nibs? The directions that come with the kit say to transfer (then again they ALWAYS say to do that), is it better to just toss the nibs in the primary or would I get a more pronounced chocolate flavor from using a secondary?

EDIT: also how should I sanitize the nibs? They are sealed however I'm not assuming they are sterile

I brewed that kit a few months ago and it turned out great. I followed the instructions exactly as far as transferring it and adding the nibs. I didn't do anything to sanitize the nibs.

The beer came out great. Nice thick creamy head and good chocolate flavor. As it has aged the chocolate flavor is turning into a smokey flavor. It's delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Splizwarf posted:

I am completely comfortable with the work itself but lack of clear well-written instructions is what might me scare off.

The instructions included with the ones from patriot supply (via ebay) are super clear, I'll vouch for those. I think they come with the unit itself but I can't say for sure. Printed on glossy paper, so I suspect they are just part of the original documentation. Big obvious pictures with simple instructions make it hard to mess up. I'd post a pic but I have no idea where mine have gone.

fake edit: Oh wait, here they are: you want page 4, figure 4: http://www.etcsupply.com/manuals/ranco_etc_instructions.pdf?osCsid=061bd27eaed4e6cd515f2b9e14cb9094

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Les Oeufs posted:

Question: Whats the difference between hop flavour, hop aroma? The instructions for this recipe say to add the finishing hops >2 minutes before the boil to add hop flavour, and less than that to add aroma. What would the difference be when I was drinking the final product?

There's a continuum of what happens to a hop when you chuck it into boiling wort. Hops contain very volatile oils that have, well, an aroma. Take a whiff of your favorite IPA. Those notes of grapefruit or pine or orange are coming from the hops. These oils boil off very easily which is why a hop addition that you only boil for a couple minutes or less is called an "aroma addition". It contributes a strong odor but no significant bitterness.

As the hop continues to boil, oils continue to be extracted which contribute a flavor. Usually the descriptors are the same as the aroma--citrus, pine, floral, grassy--depending on the exact hop variety you use. But you're perceiving them with your tongue rather than your nose. The aromatic oils have mostly boiled off, but you still haven't boiled long enough to contribute a lot of bitterness, so these 10-30 minute additions are called "flavor additions".

Finally, when you boil hops 45-90 minutes, you really start extracting a lot of pure bitterness. The aroma is long gone, you still get some flavor, but bitterness is the dominant character. That's why your very first additions are called bittering additions.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Aroma/flavour is also quite a gradual transition, as tastebuds can only detect salt, sweet, sour, bitter, umami and spicyness. What makes oranges taste like oranges lies in the nose. However, Docjowles' distinction is accurate with regards to hopping methods.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Bad Munki posted:

The instructions included with the ones from patriot supply (via ebay) are super clear, I'll vouch for those. I think they come with the unit itself but I can't say for sure. Printed on glossy paper, so I suspect they are just part of the original documentation. Big obvious pictures with simple instructions make it hard to mess up. I'd post a pic but I have no idea where mine have gone.

fake edit: Oh wait, here they are: you want page 4, figure 4: http://www.etcsupply.com/manuals/ranco_etc_instructions.pdf?osCsid=061bd27eaed4e6cd515f2b9e14cb9094

:hfive:

On it. Patriot's the one I was looking at. Thanks!

e: they're even on my side of the country, so it's going to get here at the same time as my NB order!

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Has anyone used wyeasts London 1968? My beer was smelling like fresh apples but now smells like flintstone vitamins.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I used it with the NB ESB kit. It turned out well but the flavor has changed for the worse after about 2 months in the bottle.

Zymurgy
Feb 16, 2011

icehewk posted:

Has anyone used wyeasts London 1968? My beer was smelling like fresh apples but now smells like flintstone vitamins.

What temperature are you keeping it at? 1968 is a very estery strain especially at higher temperatures.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Its been between 64 and 70, with the majority of the time being 66-68. I took a sample and it was deeelicious so the strange flintstone must have just been yeast gas byproduct.

Zymurgy
Feb 16, 2011

That sounds right. I've had starters of 1968 that smelled like they were off but tasted fine. It has been a while since I've made anything with 1968 but one of the things that stood out was the fruity aroma it gave off.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Don't want to jinx it but that hydro sample of the IPA I made seems like the best beer I've made yet. It wasn't a super vigorous fermentation but it went on for 5~ days and attenuated down to 1.008. Unfortunately, I was late for a meeting and never did captured a OG post boil, just a pre-boil with about ~7 gallons of 1.044 (which should be like 65-67% eff.).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 17, 2012

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."

icehewk posted:

Its been between 64 and 70, with the majority of the time being 66-68. I took a sample and it was deeelicious so the strange flintstone must have just been yeast gas byproduct.

Great strain, I just made an ESB with it. I've heard you shouldn't bottle with it though. Let the yeast settle out as much as possible (cold crash if you can but let it sit a few extra days if you can't). Pitch another yeast like half a pack of US-05 or S-04 to bottle condition. Supposedly this yeast does weird poo poo when used to bottle condition after a month or two.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Help me fix my beer.

I had started with the intention of making an oktoberfest, so I went to get 6 lbs munich DME and half a pound of flaked barley, but they were out of munich. I replaced it with light, did the partial mash a bit high so the protien rest never happened. Boiled an hour with 1oz hallertau for 60 and 1oz hallertau for 25. Pitched WL029 kolsh ale yeast, let it ferment a few days at a nice 67 or so, then took it to secondary.

When I made the secondary, I had some left over, so I filled and primed 2 bottles. It's been a week in secondary, and there's certainly something missing. Anyone have any ideas? At this point it's barely qualifying as a blonde ale. Should I maybe dry hop an ounce of centennial or similar to give it a bit of character?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

digitalhifi posted:

Great strain, I just made an ESB with it. I've heard you shouldn't bottle with it though. Let the yeast settle out as much as possible (cold crash if you can but let it sit a few extra days if you can't). Pitch another yeast like half a pack of US-05 or S-04 to bottle condition. Supposedly this yeast does weird poo poo when used to bottle condition after a month or two.

What temp does cold crashing entail? Refrigerator temperatures? I got a few yeast rafts (loogie looking chunks floating on top) but I smacked it while the pack was still frozen so that might have something to do with lack of moisture exposure.

edit: Would a half pack of Munton's work for this?

icehewk fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 17, 2012

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Talked to a local brewer last weekend and we were talking about yeast strains. He mentioned that US-05 is in fact not a single strain but a combination of several, including a bit of lager yeast(!). This would explain its serious attenuation power which I have experienced personally. But it would also explain why they recommend to not wash/reuse US-05 - the various strains would start to compete and you would end up with a different proportion.

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Help me fix my beer.

I had started with the intention of making an oktoberfest, so I went to get 6 lbs munich DME and half a pound of flaked barley, but they were out of munich. I replaced it with light, did the partial mash a bit high so the protien rest never happened. Boiled an hour with 1oz hallertau for 60 and 1oz hallertau for 25. Pitched WL029 kolsh ale yeast, let it ferment a few days at a nice 67 or so, then took it to secondary.

When I made the secondary, I had some left over, so I filled and primed 2 bottles. It's been a week in secondary, and there's certainly something missing. Anyone have any ideas? At this point it's barely qualifying as a blonde ale. Should I maybe dry hop an ounce of centennial or similar to give it a bit of character?

Your mistake was going from Munich to light extract and not changing the entire rest of your recipe. Generally when I do extract beers, I use the lightest colour dried extract that I can get my hands on and get all the rest of my colour and flavour from specialty grains.

Luckily, to fix it you've got a fairly neutral base to work with so the world is your oyster. Dry hopping is one way to go, though if you're not tied to having a pseudo oktoberfest maybe you can throw some fruit in it?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yesterday I received a call from the head brewer of a local brewpub, looks like I'll be interning there this semester.
I know a lot of what he needs done is office related, but I still cannot wait for this opportunity! Even the chance to observe will be awesome.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

crazyfish posted:

Luckily, to fix it you've got a fairly neutral base to work with so the world is your oyster. Dry hopping is one way to go, though if you're not tied to having a pseudo oktoberfest maybe you can throw some fruit in it?

"Pitch Brett, see what happens" is always a fun option, too :)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't think I've ever done a beer where I didn't do something wrong.

This time, I got the brilliant idea to rack about half of the beer into the carboy, and then dump the cup of gelatin into the carboy through a funnel. I don't think that's the recommended way to avoid oxidation. (Note: I don't actually think this ruined the beer or will even be noticable. You just shouldn't dump poo poo into the fermenter willy-nilly.)

Kaiho posted:

Talked to a local brewer last weekend and we were talking about yeast strains. He mentioned that US-05 is in fact not a single strain but a combination of several, including a bit of lager yeast(!). This would explain its serious attenuation power which I have experienced personally. But it would also explain why they recommend to not wash/reuse US-05 - the various strains would start to compete and you would end up with a different proportion.

Has anyone else heard anything like this?
I have my doubts that local brewers know a ton of inside baseball. Every source I've ever read has stated its just a dry version of the Chico Strain.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 17, 2012

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Angry Grimace posted:

I have my doubts that local brewers know a ton of inside baseball. Every source I've ever read has stated its just a dry version of the Chico Strain.

I can see the actual story being distorted into the line Kaiho posted:

"We looked at the genome of the US-05 strain, and we found some genes that we have traced back to a number of ancestral strains. There's even a small amount of genetic material that originally came from a lager yeast!"

Next iteration:

"I heard they looked at US-05 and they found a bunch of strains in there, including lager yeast!"

But I agree, as far as US-05 actually being a blend of strains, I am pretty skeptical without some source material.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

For those who buy bulk hops, Nikobrew is having a special for $10/lb on a few varieties this weekend.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So is it possible to make a sour (or something similar but not quite a sour) without aging for like a year? I'd love to brew something similar to that but the long term aging isnt in the works haha.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Does anyone have a favorite refractometer to recommend? I was looking at this one from MoreBeer that has ATC, Brix and gravity with the scale adjusted correctly for conversion. I was also wondering if it's worth going for a digital version that isn't a whole more money for a lot more precision.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Some quick googling seems to suggest flavors of passionfruit and peach - as well as stonefruit (though I'm not sure what that is referring to).

Looking at the Summit Sage IPA page it also uses Citra and Centennial which I believe are nice and citrusy in aroma and flavor. Rakau seems to have an AA of over 10%, so maybe something like Summit would be a decent replacement? (I'm kind of surprised that an IPA named Summit doesn't use Summit hops).

I've been reading that Summit can have a garlic and onions flavor OR a tangerine flavor, depending on how you use them. Should I even bother trying to use them?

Was thinking of doing:

Centennial 60 mins
Amarillo 15 min
Citra or Summit 5 min

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Alright brew day is coming up, I am doing two for labor day. I plan to do an IPA clone recipe from the LHBS recipe book for one, but I also want to do something a little seasonal - like a blackberry wheat ale.

I have a good wheat ale recipe written down and I was thinking I could pasteurize a couple pints of fresh picked blackberry puree on kegging day and strain the juice right into the kegged beer before I close it up and carbonate.

I know it will add all sorts of color to an otherwise yellow/clear beer - but I am not sure if this is the right approach to get some blackberry flavor in my wheat ale. I figure it's too late to really do anything with secondary fermentation by labor day, but it's not too late to reconsider and use blackberries in primary.

Any pointers?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I haven't tried it myself, but what about blackberry extract? I don't think it'll add nearly as much coloring.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Does anyone have a favorite refractometer to recommend? I was looking at this one from MoreBeer that has ATC, Brix and gravity with the scale adjusted correctly for conversion. I was also wondering if it's worth going for a digital version that isn't a whole more money for a lot more precision.

http://www.brewhardware.com/refractometer

Great price and a great guy to deal with too.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004

icehewk posted:

What temp does cold crashing entail? Refrigerator temperatures? I got a few yeast rafts (loogie looking chunks floating on top) but I smacked it while the pack was still frozen so that might have something to do with lack of moisture exposure.

edit: Would a half pack of Munton's work for this?

Yea, its usually fridge temps. Basically as close to freezing as you can get without actually freezing. The Munton's would work fine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ChiTownEddie posted:

So is it possible to make a sour (or something similar but not quite a sour) without aging for like a year? I'd love to brew something similar to that but the long term aging isnt in the works haha.
You can make a beer that is sour like a Berliner weiss or something by directly adding lactic acid or doing a sour mash. But you can't really make "a sour" without a bit of aging and blending.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ChiTownEddie posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but what about blackberry extract? I don't think it'll add nearly as much coloring.

I am less concerned with the color as I am with using what's growing in the alley, so I think I will try the pasteurization right in the keg. I can't imagine it will be bad like that but that's what experimentation is for.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Are you heat pasteurizing? I'm not sure how much pectin is in blackberries but you might want some pectic enzyme.

Sky River Meadery does blackberry and raspberry meads and they juice the berries and add 10% juice by volume to the primary. I'm not sure if they do heat pasteurization of the juice or sulfiting though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

For those who buy bulk hops, Nikobrew is having a special for $10/lb on a few varieties this weekend.

Oooh, neat...CTZs and Willamettes for me.

Speaking of CTZs, Home Brew Mart today was selling CTZ hops for $3.50 for 2 oz. and Columbus for SEVEN. I literally started laughing right in the store.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 18, 2012

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Phew. After over a month, and a painstaking reyeasting of every individual bottle a few weeks in, my imperial IPA finally carbonated. :) It's on the sweeter side of what I like in the style, even though I bittered and dry-hopped the living poo poo out of it and used two pounds of demerara sugar, but it's still pretty tasty.

And my stout using Briess Midnight Wheat with Amarillo hops and orange peel loving rules. I just with the body were a bit bigger, but I think part of what happened there was a yeast overpitch (since I had a really good, strong slurry from the brewery I work for).

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Angry Grimace posted:

Oooh, neat...CTZs and Willamettes for me.

Speaking of CTZs, Home Brew Mart today was selling CTZ hops for $3.50 for 2 oz. and Columbus for SEVEN. I literally started laughing right in the store.

My local homebrew store sells ALL hops for $4 / 2 oz. Wrap your head around that

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Does anyone here make charcuterie? I'm considering getting a fridge or chest freezer to make into a fermentation and meat drying chamber, since they both need roughly the same temperature ranges. It seems like that would work to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I know it's not proper beer, but I've been trying to make ginger beer with this recipe:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-ginger-beer/

Problem is I'm worried that the liquid was a bit too warm when I added the yeast to it. It's been sat under the fridge for about 40 minutes now, and there's a small amount of foam forming on the surface of the liquid. Is there a way I can see if the yeast has been so damaged that I need to add some more? I've never done this before so I've no real idea about how much bubbling I should see or anything like that...

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Jo3sh posted:

I can see the actual story being distorted into the line Kaiho posted:

"We looked at the genome of the US-05 strain, and we found some genes that we have traced back to a number of ancestral strains. There's even a small amount of genetic material that originally came from a lager yeast!"

Next iteration:

"I heard they looked at US-05 and they found a bunch of strains in there, including lager yeast!"

But I agree, as far as US-05 actually being a blend of strains, I am pretty skeptical without some source material.

It sounded pretty outlandish to me. I think the genetic analysis line is plausible as an origin story. The whole thing about competing strains just sounded :tinfoil: paranoiac to me.

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005
I've got an imperial IPA coming out of dry hopping and into bottles today. It's been in secondary for 2.5 weeks after a 6 day primary, coming in at around 9.5%.

Is re-pitching worth thinking about for bottle carbonating? Seems like a pain in the rear end but I don't really want flat beer, either.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Gerblyn posted:

I know it's not proper beer, but I've been trying to make ginger beer with this recipe:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-ginger-beer/

Problem is I'm worried that the liquid was a bit too warm when I added the yeast to it. It's been sat under the fridge for about 40 minutes now, and there's a small amount of foam forming on the surface of the liquid. Is there a way I can see if the yeast has been so damaged that I need to add some more? I've never done this before so I've no real idea about how much bubbling I should see or anything like that...

Unless the water was over about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, I doubt you did the yeast any harm. The way to find out for sure is to follow the directions, including the part about chilling as cold as you can (slushy-cold is ideal) after 48 hours. When you open the first one, it will either be carbonated or not.

Be warned that Champagne yeast may continue to work even at refrigerator temperatures. This means your ginger beer may continue to get more carbonated and may eventually get so pressurized that the bottles explode. The reason Jeffrey Morgenthaler can get away with that is he runs a busy bar and no doubt goes through the stuff quickly. Force-carbonation, either with a soda siphon or a kegging rig, is less likely to result in shrapnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Jo3sh posted:

Unless the water was over about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, I doubt you did the yeast any harm. The way to find out for sure is to follow the directions, including the part about chilling as cold as you can (slushy-cold is ideal) after 48 hours. When you open the first one, it will either be carbonated or not.

Be warned that Champagne yeast may continue to work even at refrigerator temperatures. This means your ginger beer may continue to get more carbonated and may eventually get so pressurized that the bottles explode. The reason Jeffrey Morgenthaler can get away with that is he runs a busy bar and no doubt goes through the stuff quickly. Force-carbonation, either with a soda siphon or a kegging rig, is less likely to result in shrapnel.

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking and just mixed some of the just boiled water I'd used to make the syrup with cold water and added it to the bottle. I did some math and figured it could have been 110 degrees or more, though I had no way of being sure by the time it occurred to me. I dropped in a bit more an hour or so ago, after I noticed it had gone totally still and it seems to be fizzing quite happily now.

Thanks for the info by the way, I'm gonna start drinking it pretty much as soon as it's cold enough so hopefully I'll avoid any detonations.

One other thing that confused me was the guy saying 25 granules of yeast. That seemed like a really tiny amount to me, so I added a bunch more (around 1/8 teaspoon for a liter). Is "a granule" like a special measure or something, or do you really need such a tiny amount?