Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Using graphics that the NES obviously isn't capable of putting out really takes me out of these haunted NES game stories. That, and the fact that the shots are obviously taken from emulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windalgo
Sep 13, 2010
"I was paralyzed and could only move my thumbs.. also the spooky ghost was taking the screenshots for me now", on the other hand, is perfect for your immersion.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's not like it would take a lot of effort for people to just keep themselves to 4 colors per sprite and the right resolution. I doubt anyone's going to be complaining about unreasonable sprite overlap or too many being on screen at once or something- that stuff doesn't matter. But if it looks like a SNES game then why not just make it be a SNES game in the first place?

It definitely takes anything that does it from "this could be real! maybe! you will never know!" to "this is fake but hey it's still kinda good!" at best. It's the difference between some really tense horror and like, a Jason movie. Nobody's going to be scared that Jason is gonna kill them when they go to the lake. But if a horror movie is done right, that lingering paranoia will stick with you for a while. Because on some level, even though you know it's fake, you can believe it.

Edit: also after reading it that new godzilla thing is pretty terrible so far. oh no its a secret government project with a mysterious name! the text is red. blood red the game displayed a message it must have heard my voice but how

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 17, 2012

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't feel scared or tense when reading it, but I'm interested in the spritework and the general mystery. My standards are pretty low, I admit (Though the finale to the last Godzilla story was unforgivably cheesy).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 12, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Jesus Christ.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There was actually a game about a haunted NES cartridge - Nanashi No Game for the DS. It never made it out of Japan, but it was a 3D adventure game that featured this weird Dragon Quest-clone that was apparently cursed or something and you had to beat it within 7 days.

I always wanted to play it, but, you know, Japanese. Reading all this made me search for a translation patch and apparently one came out last year, so I'm definitely going to try it out now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Excellent story Rocketlex.

I maintain that "The Loneliness Engine" is far and away the best fake game story thing, though.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
That story is really good. More of the same!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I heard plenty of great video game rumors in my childhood, but the one I remember most clearly is also the last one I can remember actually getting pretty "big" and being one I actively believed. It was the last video game rumor I can recall that had been fostered by the internet, rather than immediately snuffed out by it as any rumors would be today.

The rumor was, when you got all the shines in Mario Sunshine, a new island would pop up in the distance in the plaza area that looked "purple and creepy". The NPCs at the docks were said to mention that there was no way to get to the new island by sea, because the waves were too rough. You would have had to go to Ricco Harbor and talk to the helicopter-owning NPC who normally does absolutely nothing, and he'd take you over there.

Once there, the screen would show the little level select menu like with other stages, where you can select which shine you want to get. This is where it was revealed that the new area was called Waluigi Island. It was said to be just a small area with a helipad and a cave you'd go inside. Luigi would be strung up in a cage, and you'd fight Waluigi. Exactly what Waluigi did in battle was never made clear in any of the rumors. After beating him he'd run off and you would be able to play as Luigi with the Poltergust.

The thing that I think kept this as such a prevalent rumor on GameFAQs even though it was a bit past the era of Secret Mew Trucks is simply that Mario Sunshine was hard as hell and no one could get to the end of the game and really disprove it. It's a little boring compared to some of the other urban legends in this thread, but I always remember it because it was the last of its kind, really.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 18, 2012

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I always wanted to play it, but, you know, Japanese. Reading all this made me search for a translation patch and apparently one came out last year, so I'm definitely going to try it out now.
Or you could just watch this excellent LP!

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Pale Luna was by far the best of this thread's stories, mainly because I didn't realise it wasn't just a recount of an actual weird game occurrence up until the end.

I enjoy the Godzilla thing for its weird little story and interesting "twisted" sprite work but I'm one of those terrible people who is endlessly grated upon by there being too many colours and too many sprites for a NES game. Seriously, he coulda avoided all this (and added some extra-special mystery) by claiming it was an apparently incomplete SNES port. :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The ghost can bend the limitations of the NES. There, story saved.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Yoshimo posted:

I would say that Godzilla game story is still the best one in this thread.

Still the best. 1973.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Endorph posted:

The ghost can bend the limitations of the NES. There, story saved.

I'm pretty sure the story actually mentions the spritework being too detailed for an NES and that's basically the implied explanation.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

nerdbot posted:

The thing that I think kept this as such a prevalent rumor on GameFAQs even though it was a bit past the era of Secret Mew Trucks is simply that Mario Sunshine was hard as hell and no one could get to the end of the game and really disprove it. It's a little boring compared to some of the other urban legends in this thread, but I always remember it because it was the last of its kind, really.

drat, I'm going to have to load that up and give it another go-round some time. I think that's the only 3D Mario that I never actually completely finished.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Hakkesshu posted:

There was actually a game about a haunted NES cartridge - Nanashi No Game for the DS. It never made it out of Japan, but it was a 3D adventure game that featured this weird Dragon Quest-clone that was apparently cursed or something and you had to beat it within 7 days.

You're in luck! Someone in our forum did an LP of it! if you're too lazy to patch the game yourself.

The only real fault is 2/3rds of the game is spent slowly walking away from ghosts.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Wandering Knitter posted:

You're in luck! Someone in our forum did an LP of it! if you're too lazy to patch the game yourself.

The only real fault is 2/3rds of the game is spent slowly walking away from ghosts.

I played it myself, and it's not a great game, but by the time it gets painful and boring, it's over. It's about five to seven hours, but the last half of the game is wandering around the real world with terrible controls trying to avoid zombies and living out an in-joke among some Square execs. Had there been more Cursed RPG portions and fewer running around in the real world portions, it'd be a better thing.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm pretty sure the story actually mentions the spritework being too detailed for an NES and that's basically the implied explanation.

It is mentioned. He notices it a few chapters in, then near the end he says something like "By this point is was impossible not to notice. The graphical detail here was way too high for an NES."

I don't think "graphics better than the system could manage" is necessarily a bad thing if you at least give it a cursory mention or explanation so the audience can suspend their disbelief. Nanashi no Game's explanation was that the haunted video game in question was running on a DS and not an original NES, so it was something like a hacked ROM.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The new Godzilla story looks interesting. It seems like it'll probably take itself a lot less seriously than the first one though, if it'll continue like this. It does have some quality spritework again, though.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Neito posted:

I played it myself, and it's not a great game, but by the time it gets painful and boring, it's over. It's about five to seven hours, but the last half of the game is wandering around the real world with terrible controls trying to avoid zombies and living out an in-joke among some Square execs. Had there been more Cursed RPG portions and fewer running around in the real world portions, it'd be a better thing.

The sequel seems to be better about that, but unfortunately there's no LP of it. (The cursed game is also slightly different, in that sometimes the NPCs don't speak... properly. It's hard to explain.)

There was also a few other sequels released for other systems. The iPhone got Nanashi no App (which is basically what you think it is), while English people got "774 Deaths", which is basically a side-game pack of platformer/tilt-control stages with no real story.

quote:

And actually too detailed for non-HD TVs. :eng101: They can only display about 224 vertical lines (PAL gets 240).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I really need to get around to working on a cursed 8-bit RPG with actual core RPG gameplay that's totally self-contained before the Nanashi no Game people run the concept into the ground. The trick is convincing people to put an hour into an 8-bit RPG before the wackiness starts.

Baku fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 18, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zamujasa posted:

And actually too detailed for non-HD TVs. :eng101: They can only display about 224 vertical lines (PAL gets 240).

Uh, no, you're confusing the resolution of the NES (224 vertical for NTSC models, 240 vertical for PAL models) with the resolution of broadcasts and screens, which is 480 lines for NTSC and 576 lines for PAL.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Yoshimo posted:

That story is really good. More of the same!

The Godzilla one?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

The Godzilla one?

I think e means the loneliness engine: http://invisiblegames.net/archives/the-loneliness-engine/ dunno, I thought it was lame

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Roboto posted:

Old school shootings were the best type of shootings.

This was a nicely done line

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Mister Roboto posted:

The Godzilla one?

Your killing spree one!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I really liked the premise of Mister Roboto's story but the details not being entirely correct really bugs me. The game is clearly meant to be Doom (Demons, BFGs, monsters generally meant to exhibit "run toward the player" behavior), but there's details in it that really ruin it for me, like the radar and achievements. Also the only semi-automatic weapon in Doom is the pistol. Speaking of, there's no upgrades in Doom. :spergin:

But yeah apart from described game mechanics not being 100% accurate, it's a good story.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Wasn't really doom so much as "generic early shooter you'd find on steam."

Thanks for the feedback, though, maybe I should write another when I have a moment.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It really was very good. The way the whole thing seems kind of mundane until you get to the kick at the end (which completely changes the way the story reads, as opposed to just being a lovely twist) adds a lot to the chill I think.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I really need to get around to working on a cursed 8-bit RPG with actual core RPG gameplay that's totally self-contained before the Nanashi no Game people run the concept into the ground. The trick is convincing people to put an hour into an 8-bit RPG before the wackiness starts.

Tell people it's haunted. :ms:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 18, 2012

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I will hear no more godless talk of anything being the best thing in this thread other than A Haunting Most Mario!

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Sorry, I'm going to have to admit to being patently thick but someone's going to have to explain the Loneliness Engine out for me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I am your audience for something like this. Done creatively, that could be really cool.

EDIT: has anyone done an LP of Nanashi no Game 2? I really enjoyed the first one.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The best 'haunted game' RPG or whatever would be one that's not advertised as one, with probably about 2-3 hours of nothing really out of the ordinary happening. Keeping the secret as long as possible would probably go a long way, I think.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The best 'haunted game' RPG or whatever would be one that's not advertised as one, with probably about 2-3 hours of nothing really out of the ordinary happening. Keeping the secret as long as possible would probably go a long way, I think.

If I were able to do such a thing, I'd write it in a way that the "haunting" stuff would be random. Maybe on a screen transition or on hitting a trigger the game "rolls" a chance to do whatever you want the haunting to do. So basically you make a regular game and insert at random intervals (you'd have to guarantee that by X point, you'd have seen Y hauntings) whatever you want to do to gently caress with the player.

Shoot, you could make a whole story out of the haunting, a game within a game just like Nanashi no Game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, we'll always have Eversion and its pre-level messages. Not quite the same but it has a similar effect.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, we'll always have Eversion and its pre-level messages. Not quite the same but it has a similar effect.

The one that's totally blank always creeped me out the most.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The problem with including "gltichy stuff" in a game and not warning people that it's part of the game is that people will think it's a glitchy game. As much as it breaks immersion, you have to give at least a touch of warning.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Neito posted:

The problem with including "gltichy stuff" in a game and not warning people that it's part of the game is that people will think it's a glitchy game. As much as it breaks immersion, you have to give at least a touch of warning.

Batman: Arkham Asylum had a big sticker on the box art warning players about this scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Segmentation Fault posted:

Batman: Arkham Asylum had a big sticker on the box art warning players about this scene.

What was the warning?