Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

stevobob posted:

This looks great, any more pictures or info? I'm thinking I'll reupholster my seat this winter, because it has some weird sticky poo poo on it that I can't get off - tried, Goo-Gone, Spray Nine, soap and water, brake cleaner and a bunch of other poo poo. Plus the blue is faded and uneven.

It was pretty simple, if a bit time consuming. The vinyl is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042TOBM8/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00, and 1 yard is enough for me to do a couple seats. I used that sponge as donor material to graft into the gap in the original seat foam, and glued it in with some 3m all purpose spray adhesive. I should probably have used something a little thicker for the donor foam because it didn't fill the hole perfectly, and the vinyl is very slightly lumpy in that spot. I used a hair dryer as I was stretching it and stapling it to get it tight and form fitting.

some guy explaining the whole process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi6lDifsazs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Funny I just went to Home Depot and bought a reflective safety vest from their OSHA crap isle, I realized that my bike is black and my ATGATT is black which isn't so great in all the dusk->dark riding I do.
Yeap. I added some stuff to my bike as well. The triangles on my helmet just followed the contours it had, but i noticed that when i head check to change lanes they'll signal that a bit too.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Went on a ride out for the first time with a friend and some people from the website he runs. We covered nearly three hundred miles in about 7 hours which is by far and away the most I've ridden in one go and it turns out the stock seat on an SV650 is made of hate!

Apart from my knackered arse it was excellent fun though :)

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
After a long month of no time to work on my bike I finally got out there and did some wrenching. I took off the fuel tank, replaced the fuel tube, re-clamped the air and vacuum tube, and then ratcheted the fuel valve back on real tight to the tank.

It turns out that the bolt attaching the valve to the tank was loose enough for me to turn with my fingers and the air tube had fallen off completely. I'm hoping that solving these two things will stop my slow fuel leak.

Next up: fixing my seized master cylinder! I'm going to completely disassemble it and fix anything that's gone bad, but it's good to know there are other options out there as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-F...060b46&vxp=mtr.

As a side note it's really cool how much I learn from a bike by taking it apart and putting it back together repeatedly. I know that's kind of "No poo poo Sherlock," but I've figured out so much about the fuel delivery system today just by playing with the valve, tubs, and tank. Bikez. :allears:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Installed my spool/sliders, put my rear stand together, cleaned / lubed chain, changed oil.

Nothing crazy, but any wrenching is good wrenching.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

nsaP posted:

Yeap. I added some stuff to my bike as well. The triangles on my helmet just followed the contours it had, but i noticed that when i head check to change lanes they'll signal that a bit too.

Good idea man. Now I want to find a roll of that 3M retroflective material that is flat black but shines when headlights are applied.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Picked up a Harbor Freight set of 4 3-arm pullers for $25 to assist in the extraction of the alternator rotor from the GL1100 engine. This is to access the starter clutch, which in old Goldwings is genetically prone to failure, rendering the starter a useless, free spinning battery drain.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

clutchpuck posted:

The wife got her pipes back from the industrial coating place. Ceramic coated satin black. I helped wrestle everything together. They look awesome.

That is sharp as hell. I am in love with blacked out exhaust.

I have a single-walled blued up and (surface) rusted up set of pipes on my 83 shadow. I can replace with a new pair of the same thing for $350 or so shipped, or hunt around on e-bay for some miracle condition originals to pop up, but I like the MAC aftermarket's sound and I'm interested in reconditioning what's on there for less.

Considerations:
Replacing with a new set of the same single wall doesn't solve
- over time they *will* blue at least around the headers which will make me sad.
- the exhaust coming out of the engine header runs really close to the left leg. I've tossed a couple pairs of pants with a burn holes courtesy of that.

What I have:
Access to an industrial oven that can be used to cure hi-temp paint.
A garage where I can store things out of the elements if necessary.
Pitted blue exhaust that I no longer care to look at.
A $350 max budget.

Hi-temp paint alone doesn't really help me out with the pits or insulation needs, even after a good scrub down to get every last drop of rust off. Even with the ability to properly cure it I've just about ruled it out.

I've looked at universal heat shields and considered covering at least the first bend with those. That covers up the blue and insulates, but I'll have to keep detailing off the rust beyond the first bend and have yet to find a set that doesn't look a bit hokey.

Black exhaust tape solves it all, and by far appears to be the easiest and cheapest solution. It will even insulate and keep those scorching pipes from burning my pants. It's not as shiny as the rest of the bike but I can get used to the look.

I'm assuming ceramic coating would just gel right over the pits and smooth out if done professionally? Would it insulate much? What would it cost to coat a full exhaust? Google hasn't given me much DIY info and professional rates are per-part and all look to be out of my budget, but I'm not even sure if I'm looking at those rates correctly.

What should I go with? I'm figuring on doing this mid-late Sept... I'll post before and after pics of whatever solution.

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!
Replaced the tiny-rear end teardrop mirrors the previous owner had on there with regular sized rectangular mirrors. Holy crap, I can see behind me!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I stashed a garage door opener on my bike. I don't know why i waited so long.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Good idea man. Now I want to find a roll of that 3M retroflective material that is flat black but shines when headlights are applied.

I've got some i applied to my helmet. Its not quite a solid black in daylight but it lights up pretty well with my lovely phone flash.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Halo_4am posted:

- over time they *will* blue at least around the headers which will make me sad.

Blued stainless steel looks awesome, and I will hear no arguments to the contrary :colbert:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

KozmoNaut posted:

Blued stainless steel looks awesome, and I will hear no arguments to the contrary :colbert:

Seriously. I don't get the aversion to heat discoloured headers, it looks great. Yesterday my friend did a shout out on facebook to find some spare pipes for his Harley and one guy said he had a set, but they're quite blued so he's going to have a lot of polishing to do.

I mean, really?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

I mean, really?

Tyres should also be shiny at all times with hairs on. Tyre hair can be bought from e-bay (araldite to attach them) and I find Armor-All works great to give you that freshly polished tyre look. Simply sand the tyre with progressively fine grit to remove any of that nasty "orange peel" ( :argh: ) and apply over 100% of the tread surface.

With unblued headers and nice shiny tyres, no-one need ever know your shame, that you have been riding your motorcycle!

:shobon:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Saga posted:

Tyres should also be shiny at all times with hairs on. Tyre hair can be bought from e-bay (araldite to attach them)
In contrast to that, I remember reading a thread on the BMW club forum about whether you should remove those hairs from your tires with a razor blade.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Haha, I prefer to remove them with pavement.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

KozmoNaut posted:

Fair enough, but there's also rust to cover and insulation needs. Also blacked out exhaust looks cool as poo poo too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Halo_4am posted:

I'm assuming ceramic coating would just gel right over the pits and smooth out if done professionally? Would it insulate much? What would it cost to coat a full exhaust? Google hasn't given me much DIY info and professional rates are per-part and all look to be out of my budget, but I'm not even sure if I'm looking at those rates correctly.

The industrial coating guy said it would insulate the pipes to some extent, not sure to what extent though. Cost about $150 for her header and y-pipe, for what its worth. We polished/sanded off any high spots and it looks like the coating did end up filling in the lows.

Pipe wrap is cool, but eventually the color washes away and it looks a little ragged. May or may not work for your ride.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

clutchpuck posted:

The industrial coating guy said it would insulate the pipes to some extent, not sure to what extent though. Cost about $150 for her header and y-pipe, for what its worth. We polished/sanded off any high spots and it looks like the coating did end up filling in the lows.

Pipe wrap is cool, but eventually the color washes away and it looks a little ragged. May or may not work for your ride.

Thanks for the info, I guess the only way to know the cost is to bring it somewhere and get a proper quote. Glad to hear it gels into lows, and I was planning on removing and sanding before doing anything.

I hadn't heard that wrap fades... makes sense though. The bike is garage kept so it'll only get wet on days I'm stuck in rain. Hopefully that will give the color a long life if I decide to go that way.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Halo_4am posted:

I hadn't heard that wrap fades... makes sense though. The bike is garage kept so it'll only get wet on days I'm stuck in rain. Hopefully that will give the color a long life if I decide to go that way.

A friend of mine wrapped his Ulysses's pipes and every year or so he masks up the whole bike and resprays the visible parts with pipe wrap coating. Seems to work ok, but it looks like a lot of work.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The RD350 guys say to use mop and glow to protect their pipes from rusting..

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

n8r posted:

The RD350 guys say to use mop and glow to protect their pipes from rusting..

I just replace my pipes after every ride.

Edit: also pipe wrap looks cool, but that's it. Don't expect it to shield a whole lotta heat.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Braincloud posted:

I just replace my pipes after every ride.

Edit: also pipe wrap looks cool, but that's it. Don't expect it to shield a whole lotta heat.

It's nice if you accidentally touch the pipes though. Heat transfer from fiberglass takes a lot longer where touching the pipe directly would melt skin off.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I managed to slough off the corner of a tattoo that way, it was nasty.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Hi, Cycle Asylum? Yeah, long time listener, first time caller.

Much earlier in the year, I had a '72 CB350 that served me very well for a long time before something in the transmission completely exploded and left me on the side of the road at the edge of the city, 14 miles from home and 2 from my job. I loved that bike, and it was my first motorcycle. The engine still ran fine, but there was a lot of loose clanking going around in the final drive section, and it seemed that multiple things sort of failed at once. Truth be told, I would have loved to have hung onto that bike and spend my free time lovingly bringing it back to life (again... and again, but these were simpler fixes before). Problem is that I'm a year-round driver that only recently bought a car as a backup vehicle. I also lacked the time and money at that point to solve all the problems and get myself rolling again (as well as the mechanical experience, I should think).

I was lucky enough to have some great friends that would lend me vehicles for extended periods of time until I could find and afford a new bike. With fast acting, I was able to buy a 'new' bike. A friend found a 1980 KZ750 ltd on craigslist one morning, and immediately drew my attention to it. This friend drives a '81 KZ1000, and told me that running or not so much, $400 was a steal for the bike listed. Turns out, it did run.

It was missing a side cover, the seat was torn up from years of brutal desert sun, one of the carb needles stuck occasionally, the petcock was a little grimy, and it had a phantom 'power issue' that would cause it to stop running for a few minutes at a time. All of this the seller disclosed, and my friend was basically screaming to buy it anyway. So I did. All the first few problems were so minor they were quick fixes or didn't matter (the seat, the side cover). After a few weeks of carefully running it and guessing, we drew conclusions that the IC igniter had gone mostly bad, heating up and failing until it could cool down for a few. For a piece of electronics from the early 80's, we were both kind of shocked to see an OEM igniter was about $600. Luckily for humanity, ebay is there to help. For $60 shipped, we got a working igniter, and it has never had a shut off since.

With the bike running, I got to work making changes. Number one, the monstrous sissy bar and passenger seat had to go. Not my style, and the KZs were this sort of mean sport bike that sorta got trapped in cruiser style. The pullback bars that made you elbow yourself if you took too tight a turn, the relaxed sitting position that favored a leaning back posture, the ridiculous sissy bar. After that, I got the seat reupholstered because it was cracking and falling apart every time it was sat upon.

Just the other day, I finally got new handlebars in. A set of drag bars that make the riding position more aggressive and in my opinion, more comfortable.

Going from a 10" rise, 5,000,000" pullback to a 0" rise, 4" pullback.

Whole new look, just from the bars. I got some bar end mirrors, nothing fancy, just to check them out. The stock ones give me a great view of my arms in this configuration.

And then I took off my front fender , drilled it, and put 6 4" spikes through it because gently caress you, that's why.

The black are anodized aluminum, the green were sanded and sprayed.

Okay, yeah, if I had an older bike that was really nice, and needed very little work to make pristine, or it was a bike I really felt passionately about, I would take the time and make that thing look like it rolled off the factory floor today. My feelings on most vehicles, however, is that they should be fun, and they should be a reflection of the driver, especially if that means gluing a bunch of poo poo to it (the spikes are bolted). I like my vehicle to have a look that says "When Mad Max met Tank Girl." Today I'm going to look for a decent ammo crate to use as a trunk- right where the passenger seat used to be.

The next steps are rearsets, a new coat of paint for the tank (but I don't know what yet), and some :can: pod filters. :can:

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Droogie posted:

And then I took off my front fender , drilled it, and put 6 4" spikes through it because gently caress you, that's why.

The black are anodized aluminum, the green were sanded and sprayed.

Oh my god you are channeling the ghost of mootmoot with those spikes. Please please please do not ever try to make the slightest of turns or race a Civic on the highway, as we fear for your safety and health. Or are you just mootmoot playing a despicably clever troll on us?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

This lovely looking website has a great selection, including the really hard-to-find Coast Guard grade encapsulated reflector $40/square foot sort of stuff. You'll look like a TRON dude at night but personally I think that look is rad.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I'm a little sad to be thought of that way. No one should worry too much, as there's very little chance of me having a race against anyone, bike or otherwise. I drive a jeep when I'm not on this, and we have the benefit of a few things:
1. I live in the desert southwest.
2. I can corner.
3. the spikes aren't pre-fab windshield spikes (oi, those are fer them drat chads, i'n'it?)
4. Mootmoot would never find himself on a bike this old.
5. Seriously, I can corner. And the handlebars, though stylistically nice, are also better at cornering now.
6. gently caress mootmoot. Wanker.

Just a desert punk with an eye for the post apocalyptic. I promise.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like fun to me, I don't think you need to justify any of it.

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Oh my god you are channeling the ghost of mootmoot with those spikes. Please please please do not ever try to make the slightest of turns or race a Civic on the highway, as we fear for your safety and health. Or are you just mootmoot playing a despicably clever troll on us?

Bummer you don't like it dude!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I adjusted the clutch cable! Did a bad job, need to adjust is some more tomorrow and see if I can fix the janky rear end automatic cam chain tensioner.

Droogie posted:

I'm a little sad to be thought of that way. No one should worry too much, as there's very little chance of me having a race against anyone, bike or otherwise. I drive a jeep when I'm not on this, and we have the benefit of a few things:
2. I can corner.
3. the spikes aren't pre-fab windshield spikes (oi, those are fer them drat chads, i'n'it?)
5. Seriously, I can corner. And the handlebars, though stylistically nice, are also better at cornering now.

ahahaha "chad". :D

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I dig that Kawi too. Get a pic with you sitting on it so we can see the ergos with the new bar.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
New chain and sprockets, added center stand (OPTION on 1991 Nighthawk. WTF.)

Now ready for my 5000km road trip next week. I'll take pics.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Droogie posted:

2. I can corner.

Don't worry. No matter which what you think or do, half of CA thinks you're a wanker. Do what you feel and if you want to spice up the forum a bit, post it here. Without that, this would just be a board with 2 year experience "twist of the wrist" riders circle jerking themselves over their ninja 250s and sv650s. Keep em coming and just tell the others to shove it.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Oh jesus christ you people are dense, I was joking! I love them. They're rad!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

My XT has been running poorly recently: stuttering heavily under load, only clearing up if I kept the choke fully on. I pulled the carb off and had a look.

This is the coaster diaphragm enricher cover. It looks like it cracked and the PO slathered some epoxy of some kind on it, and now it's broken again. A short search around turns up a few threads asking where they can get one, and that it's super hard to find, because parts for this carb are unobtanium. :sigh: Guess I'll be calling the local shops tomorrow.

Somewhere there are women who find this attractive instead of disgusting and filthy.

edit: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this part isn't sold separately. Guess I'm slathering it with epoxy too

stevobob fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 18, 2012

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
My riding buddy and I removed his wheels (DL1000) to mount his tires and re-mounted the new tire / wheel combo. He took his tires to a local shop to get them mounted and computer-balanced. I had never removed wheels from any motorcycle and it was extremely straight forward. We stored the bike in my garage on its center stand with an automotive jackstand holding the front fork. It was quite precarious for such a tall bike. Luckily, I'm the only one who lives here.

There really is no easy way to get the chain adjusted other than trial and error, right?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The track bike project I bought almost a year ago finally went for a spin this morning. Still doesn't idle great and there is plenty of stuff that needs to be done but I finally got it started and running good enough with no leaks to ride it. Went on a ~5 mile ride on fun roads near the house.

It isn't pretty but it feels great in the twisties and the brakes are amazing compared to my commuter SV. 2002 SV650, 2002 GSXR 750 front end, ZX10R? rear shock that I picked up two years ago.

Then I burned the hell out of my knee putting it up on the rear stand. That exhaust gets really hot.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
One radiator bolt backed out so it broke the tab off of the other mount.

Next week comes a new rear sprocket and air filters

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

XYLOPAGUS posted:

There really is no easy way to get the chain adjusted other than trial and error, right?
What do you mean, trial and error? There's a measurement that should either be on a sticker on the swingarm or in the owner's manual. Or the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vimthedog
May 12, 2005
Omni-whatever.
Today I took the inagural ride on the bike I have been rebuilding (in my spare time and on the cheap) for the past 4 years. I have replaced every fluid, hose, filter and a majority of the lame-O factory screws and bolts for ones that won't break or strip out if you look at them wrong.
It got parked with a full tank of gas one day in a garage in Denver in 2001 and as of today, it roams the streets of Eugene Oregon.