Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My carbed has never had an issue with starting in cold weather, even after sitting outside all day at 10-15 degrees a couple days last winter it started right up.

A properly adjusted carbed bike isn't going to give you trouble but you will have to use the choke...which isn't a big deal at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Can someone give me a ballpark on the cost of these parts I need to replace? 07 S

Front Fairing
Grips
Entire right clip on
Mirrors
Brake & clutch lever
Foot brake lever.
Right side foot peg (entire assembly)
New Exhaust

The deductible is $500, I haven't been able to file a claim since the Progressive site is down.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tenchrono posted:

Can someone give me a ballpark on the cost of these parts I need to replace? 07 S

Front Fairing
Grips
Entire right clip on
Mirrors
Brake & clutch lever
Foot brake lever.
Right side foot peg (entire assembly)
New Exhaust

The deductible is $500, I haven't been able to file a claim since the Progressive site is down.

Fairing and exhaust will be expensive, the rest will be probably sub $200 if you source them right.

Also, just call them, you'll be done in 10mins.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This may be a better question for the general questions thread, but I've noticed that a lot of the SV650s are highly modded (it's like trying to find a stock Civic). I don't really care, but I don't know enough about motorcycles to know what he CHP will harass you for. What do I need to look out for to ensure I can't get fix it tickets if a cop decides to harass me?

And is the only point of fender eliminators to make the bike look better? Does this cause any problems with meeting the regulations in California?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Fender eliminators is basically the only thing cops will pull you over for if they're actively setting up bike checkpoints (like on Highway 9 / Four Corners up here in the South Bay area). Even so, unless you're riding recklessly or CHP are consistently climbing up walls of dicks backwards looking for ways to express their new found love for hating the citizens they're sworn to protect, you should be fine.

As long as you are wearing gear, your lights are on, and you're not running a straight pipe with a megaphone on it, you should be fine.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

Fairing and exhaust will be expensive, the rest will be probably sub $200 if you source them right.

Also, just call them, you'll be done in 10mins.

Yeah I saw on some OEM sites both are running $300-400 for the fairing and exhaust and just called Progressive. Someone will call later today and I'll see where it goes from there.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The claims lady said it will probably be written off as totaled for the reasons sanchezz listed. :( am I able to negotiate for how much they will write a check for? I dont want to be lowballed and not able to get another one.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tenchrono posted:

The claims lady said it will probably be written off as totaled for the reasons sanchezz listed. :( am I able to negotiate for how much they will write a check for? I dont want to be lowballed and not able to get another one.

Yes, don't take their first offer. Also, gather a list of the most expensive comparable SVs you can find. Also get receipts for your gear, any aftermarket on the bike and if you just bought tires recently those too.

Then buy it back and fix it, have a handful of money and a salvaged bike, or part it out and have even more money for a new bike.

For whatever reason, it seems bike total losses always net the owner money at the end.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Thanks for the info. Im moving in a month so I'm not sure if I can properly part it out. I'll have to wait until monday when the tow company comes and picks it up to take it to a yard or something where they will evaluate it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tenchrono posted:

Thanks for the info. Im moving in a month so I'm not sure if I can properly part it out. I'll have to wait until monday when the tow company comes and picks it up to take it to a yard or something where they will evaluate it.

Don't let them take it without getting a check. They'll evaluate it at your house, if you don't have room for it, have them tow it to a shop that you know won't charge you to store it, or to a friend's house in the meantime.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Alceste posted:

I learned a little something tonight about trusting the rear axle alignment marks, which was not to trust the rear axle alignment marks.

I noticed last night that the bike pulled to the right if I took both hands off the handlebars, and since I had the rear wheel off recently to change the tire, I figured it was probably not on straight even though I was very careful about aligning to the marks on both swingarms. I also thought that might have something to do with my unsettling slish slish slish chain noise that two people have told me was probably okay, but has never stopped bothering me.

So I got the rear end up and measured the distance from the edge of the square plate on both sides to the end of the swingarm with a micrometer and it was precisely the same. Then I loosened up the axle and discovered that the left side plate, the one under the castle nut with the cotter pin, had at least 1mm of front-to-back play in it...and when I slid it all the way forward, there was a discrepancy. The right side plate didn't move.

I fixed it, double checked the chain tension, and took the bike out for a half hour. The chain noise is MUCH reduced now.

The thing is, though, the bike still pulls to the right a bit. I can easily pull it back just by shifting weight or using my right knee.

Is this something I should still be worried about? Is it going to ruin my tire? The bike handles just fine when both of my hands are on the bars.

I never got a response, but someone might want to know that I finally fixed all this.

Turns out that my chain has a tight spot in it, which apparently is either common or totally normal, and I wasn't adjusting the tension to that spot. The chain slack went from in-spec to way too tight as I rotated the wheel, so I found the tightest spot, set the tension again (looser), set the axle alignment very carefully, and went for a ride.

No noise! None at all! It doesn't pull to the side anymore either.

So I made a dumb noob mistake, assuming that the chain tension was consistent all the way around. To be safe, I'll probably change the chain and sprockets later in the year when it's not so damned hot and I can spend a few hours in the garage without having to drink a gallon of water, but for now it finally seems okay.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

Don't let them take it without getting a check. They'll evaluate it at your house, if you don't have room for it, have them tow it to a shop that you know won't charge you to store it, or to a friend's house in the meantime.

I keep it in my garage so I have plenty of room. Does the adjuster usually come on the first day? The lady on the phone said they will pick it up and take it to a junkyard, then to a repair place where it will be evaluated, so im a little confused. What do I do if the adjuster doesnt come tomorrow? The only two people I know around me that do bikes are Gnarly Charlie and Splizwarf but each are 30+ minutes away.

Edit: regarding aftermaket parts, what is the color of the stock rear spring on these? I know the PO put new springs in the front but no idea in the back.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 29, 2012

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

Then buy it back and fix it, have a handful of money and a salvaged bike.

For whatever reason, it seems bike total losses always net the owner money at the end.

Thats what I did with mine. Now it looks pimptacular again:

Bike was a write-off for cosmetic reasons. Bought the bike back from the insurance agency; did it up. Now I'm riding something that cost me about 30% what it should do.

If I sell it I'll make about 2k profit.

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
Anyone have any suggestions for soft saddle bags. I'm looking for something I can throw a change of clothes + odds and ends into for overnight trips. Also I don't plan to leave them on the bike all the time, so something that is easy to get on/off quickly is pretty important to me.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I love the Cortech sport bags (have the saddles and the tail bag) but they've recently been discontinued. There are still new ones on eBay but they won't be there for long.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I take a backpack, put the rear seat/solo cowl on the part where your back touches, cross the straps under it, cinch them down, and then stick it on the bike. It works really really well.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Well, I got 4k for the bike which is a little above what its going for near me. Sadly I wont be able to get a new bike until I get to Indiana in September.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Welp, just helped my friend buy a thing:

Woodcraft clipons and rearsets, GSXR front end, TrailTech gauge, new chain and sprockets, full Yoshimura RS-3 exhaust, new Pilot Pures, new wiring harness installed by a tech, frame sliders, and some other little tricks.

Not bad for $1800. Just gotta get a fiberglass repair kit and some new hardware for the fairings but I gave the thing a proper asswhooping and it's definitely a solid bike! Too bad I can't fit on SV's. :(

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 4, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Anyone here put on a fender eliminator and have the stock bulky huge rear fender? I'm looking for one.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Spiffness posted:

Anyone here put on a fender eliminator and have the stock bulky huge rear fender? I'm looking for one.

http://www.ride-engineering.com/products.php?d=1&p=e&pn=SV-LPH00-BA

I have that one and like it a lot, since it retains the factory signals, and not some tiny signals that are impossible to see.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I have an integrated tail light on the SV, but the PO removed the plate holder. It's been track only for ages and I'm trying to get it all stock before I sell it. Thus hoping to find someone who has the atrocious stock unit laying around taking up space that would like it removed for the cost of shipping...

:)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lol sorry, reading comprehension -1. on the plus side, if i can dig up my stock fender in the basement, it's all yours. gimme a couple days.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Just got my bike back from having the fork seals replaced, Racetech springs and EBC HH pads installed. After getting the suspension set up it's like riding a whole new bike. It's amazing and I'm kicking myself for not getting this done sooner. I just wish it weren't so nasty hot out so I could be out there enjoying it.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Quite A Tool posted:

Just got my bike back from having the fork seals replaced, Racetech springs and EBC HH pads installed. After getting the suspension set up it's like riding a whole new bike. It's amazing and I'm kicking myself for not getting this done sooner. I just wish it weren't so nasty hot out so I could be out there enjoying it.

I've been debating this... whats the difference comparable to and how much did it cost?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I wish I had a good metric to compare it by, but I never got any suspension work/setup on my F2 so it's the first chance I've had to see the difference. It just feels significantly more planted when leaned over, mid-corner bumps don't unsettle the bike anywhere near as much as it used to. In comparison to previously, the best way I can describe it(in car terms) is the difference between getting out of my old Bonneville and into my 300ZX. This is also probably in large part due to me being a large guy and the stock springs were simply not up to the task. All in all it makes me feel much more confident in the way the bike handles. I've only put about 30 miles on it since I got it back, but overall I couldn't be happier.

All told the work ran me $400, and I supplied the rear pads as I had a set that I just didn't get around to installing before I brought it in for the forks. I didn't do the rear spring as I have plans to replace the stock unit with a ZX-10 or 6R one soon, and money is a bit tight.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 6, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

xaarman posted:

I've been debating this... whats the difference comparable to and how much did it cost?

a lot and not a lot are the answers.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

invision posted:

a lot and not a lot are the answers.

I had stiffer springs/oil put into my SV650 and a GSXR600 rear. The front end was lovely, it definitely felt more secure going over bumpy road, as the bike didn't travel so far. But couldn't tell the difference in the rear at all, I also didn't really race/push the bike.

I'd say a steering-dampener before and after is the coolest feeling ever in terms of cheap upgrades.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just checked a few pages back, but who was it with the black SV with the dual headlights.. That bike is awesome.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
I'd posted this in the Tell me What Bike to Buy thread but hadn't heard a response:

I went to help my parents check out some furniture a guy in my town was selling as he's moving to Chicago. Noticed he had a Blue 2005 Suzuki SV650 in his garage and when I asked if he was going to sell it he told me he hadn't decided yet. He let me drive it, felt great and sounded good but I have no idea what to really look for. He bought it I believe used from a dealership and has been kept in his garage when he wasn't riding.

He's laid it down once but I didn't notice any scuffs when I was checking it out and he doesn't wear any gear (??) so I assume it wasn't too bad. Has ~10k miles on it and off the top of his head if he was selling would ask $2800 for it. Does that sound about right for this bike? Looking around it seems good for this area (central Indiana) and it appears to be completely stock. And since it is a 2005 model, should I be concerned about the lack of ABS? YouTube makes a compelling case for but not sure if that was worst case or what. My only previous experience riding was a 2002 VTX 1800c which I'm pretty sure didn't have ABS and drove that for a while with no issues but don't know if that's comparable.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Recluse posted:

I'd posted this in the Tell me What Bike to Buy thread but hadn't heard a response:

I went to help my parents check out some furniture a guy in my town was selling as he's moving to Chicago. Noticed he had a Blue 2005 Suzuki SV650 in his garage and when I asked if he was going to sell it he told me he hadn't decided yet. He let me drive it, felt great and sounded good but I have no idea what to really look for. He bought it I believe used from a dealership and has been kept in his garage when he wasn't riding.

He's laid it down once but I didn't notice any scuffs when I was checking it out and he doesn't wear any gear (??) so I assume it wasn't too bad. Has ~10k miles on it and off the top of his head if he was selling would ask $2800 for it. Does that sound about right for this bike? Looking around it seems good for this area (central Indiana) and it appears to be completely stock. And since it is a 2005 model, should I be concerned about the lack of ABS? YouTube makes a compelling case for but not sure if that was worst case or what. My only previous experience riding was a 2002 VTX 1800c which I'm pretty sure didn't have ABS and drove that for a while with no issues but don't know if that's comparable.
As far as price goes I just paid 2700$ for a 2004 naked with 10k miles on it. I think it was a little high but I've been looking for about 3 months in north east Ohio and haven't seen hardly any that weren't heavily modded or a salvage title. Mine is spotless besides a nickel size dent in the tank and I'm happy with it for the money. As for abs in my opinion it's a great feature which would sway me towards a bike if it had it but I wouldn't pass on a bike I otherwise wanted if it didn't have it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I personally wouldn't buy a bike without ABS, and got an 07 SV with it, but I had to drive 6 hours each way to pick it up a few states over and paid $3200 for a bike with 13k on it.

Having ABS is better than not having it - but whether that's worth explicitly holding out for one is up to you.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Coming from a VTX I'm pretty sure that the SV brakes will be just fine. You don't need ABS. If you really want an upgrade just buy a GSXR front end and swap that on and don't delude yourself into a long quest to find a bike with ABS on it.

Boss
Feb 23, 2011
Sick SV content inbound. I have a quick question and I figured this would be a good example.

Does anyone know where I can get a black bolt kit like this guy has, specifically the main frame engine mount bolts? The big ones. They have most bolts but surprisingly none of the frame bolts.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Dear SV thread, get your track plastics!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=33#post406669334

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/3225653041.html

I was digging this. Sold in less than 12 hours. :doh:

Do I need to sleep with $3k under my pillow so I can driver to the seller's place at crack of dawn to get a good deal on an SV?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
That's pretty much how I got mine.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/3195592482.html

Not a bad deal for $3000 right? He is keeping the jacket and helmets.

Or this for $3200. How many miles is too many miles?
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/3209373649.html

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 27, 2012

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Want dis bike.

Are those plastics right under the front of the tank, near the radiator?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

Or this for $3200. How many miles is too many miles?
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/3209373649.html

Bought this one today. Plates and insurance tomorrow. Then its riding time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boss
Feb 23, 2011

internet inc posted:

Want dis bike.

Are those plastics right under the front of the tank, near the radiator?

They are from a French company called ERMAX.

Here's a link to their product catalog for the SV650. Looks like this guy custom painted his, but its the same radiator cover.

http://www.ermax.fr/modeleFiche-SUZUKI-04.html

• Locked thread