Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

wafflesnsegways posted:

Does anyone here make charcuterie? I'm considering getting a fridge or chest freezer to make into a fermentation and meat drying chamber, since they both need roughly the same temperature ranges. It seems like that would work to me, but maybe I'm missing something?
I generally keep my keezer at cellar temps (~45-50F) and have used it quite successfully for hanging pancetta and duck prosciutto. I've never tried doing an initial cure in it, but I doubt it'd be a problem, especially if you're doing your cure in a sealed container. Oh and put a Tupperware full of paper towel under what you're hanging. I can say from experience that having to clean pork juice off the bottom of your kegs sucks :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Just found a chest freezer in the basement of my new house that I can use for temperature control! No need to buy/modify a 3rd Sanyo mini fridge to fit a carboy.

Has anyone here purchased a pre-made Kegerator setup? Even better, any Cleveland brewers in here that want to sell their kegerator?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Blistering Sunburn posted:

I've got an imperial IPA coming out of dry hopping and into bottles today. It's been in secondary for 2.5 weeks after a 6 day primary, coming in at around 9.5%.

Is re-pitching worth thinking about for bottle carbonating? Seems like a pain in the rear end but I don't really want flat beer, either.

Nah you will be fine. Unless your beer is 6+ months old there is still more than enough yeast in suspension to carbonate. It might take longer due to the high gravity but it should carb fine in the end.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Made NB's Sierra Nevada clone kit, I have an extra ounce of Amarillo hops just lying around; would this fit with the hop profile of the beer if I dry hopped with it?

I think it called for 2 oz of Cascades at flameout, which I imagine would result in a pretty prominent nose. I don't know enough about hops to know if the Amarillo aroma would clash or compliment, or if the Amarillo would even be noticable.

Also, any experiences with dry hopping and not using a secondary? I'm trying to get away from doing the secondary stage as I think it's largely useless but this is one of those cases where I may in fact need to rack it...

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Anyone know what diameter bore you need for keg connection's 5 inch shanks?

We are working on our keezer conversion and want to drill the collar now so we can stain it even though our parts aren't here yet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 7/8"? Or maybe that's the actual dimension of the shank. If so, 1". Do they not have dimensions on their site? You could always call them, they have pretty good customer service.

e: They sell 15/16" hole saws on their site billed as the "perfect size for all our shanks," so there you go.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 19, 2012

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Awesome, thanks. The site didn't have the diameter and they were closed today when I called. I never would have thought to check that though.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Check kegconnection.com, they sell a hole saw that's appropriate, but I think 15/16" is right.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Does anyone have any good reference material comparing British ale yeasts? I've found a bunch of information on Belgian yeasts (including the excellent charts in Brew Like A Monk which list flavors produced for each yeast in different ranges of temperatures, suitable styles, and commercial examples), but am coming up dry when I search for similar resources about British yeasts.

As fall approaches I'm thinking about all of the ESBs, brown ales, porters, and stouts I'm about to want to drink and am beginning to search for a "house" British yeast so I can make them all. Anyone here have any recommendations or experiences?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Use this comparison chart along with the websites of Wyeast and White Labs to make a choice.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
One metric (long) shitload of yeast information from our own rage-saq

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Made a Belgian blonde last weekend. Belgian pils, sugar and WLP530/Wyeast3787, couldn't be simpler. Used Tett to bitter and a little Tett and an ounce of Saaz at flameout. BLAM reminded me after the fact that I should have aerated, made a starter, and skipped the protein rest, but oh well, next time.

I just kegged a 1.40 brown ale (mild? I used mild malt) that I hit with the zest from 2 oranges and a grapefruit, also with 2 ounces of coriander at the end. Going for a chocolate and citrus combo. It smells amazing right now, we'll see how it works together in a few weeks.

Gerblyn posted:

One other thing that confused me was the guy saying 25 granules of yeast. That seemed like a really tiny amount to me, so I added a bunch more (around 1/8 teaspoon for a liter). Is "a granule" like a special measure or something, or do you really need such a tiny amount?
Granules are just the little dried yeast bits. Yeast will multiply on their own with time. Should be fine adding more, you'll just get a quicker reaction.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Looks like Hops Direct is starting their harvesting, so whole leaf hops should start popping up soon followed by pellets in November (if last year is any indication). Very exciting

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I'm looking to do a starter for the Northern Brewer Black IPA extract kit. It has an OG of 1.075 and I'll be using US-05. The problem is that I don't have a stir plate. Will I need to adjust my starter to account for the fact that I'll only be doing manual stirring periodically?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

WaterIsPoison posted:

I'm looking to do a starter for the Northern Brewer Black IPA extract kit. It has an OG of 1.075 and I'll be using US-05. The problem is that I don't have a stir plate. Will I need to adjust my starter to account for the fact that I'll only be doing manual stirring periodically?

You don't need a starter for dry yeast. If Mr. Malty suggests that its not enough yeast, you can just pitch a second pack or part of a second pack. Rehydrate it in boiled and cooled (or otherwise sterile) water prior to pitching.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I think even hydrating it in cooled boiled water is overkill, I always just do it with straight tap water.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RiggenBlaque posted:

I think even hydrating it in cooled boiled water is overkill, I always just do it with straight tap water.

:spergin: UNSANITARY!!!! :spergin::spergin:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

RiggenBlaque posted:

I use bottled water myself (of which I always have a bunch). It's just a CYA statement so he doesn't come back at me and say I infected his IPA :v:

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Angry Grimace posted:

You don't need a starter for dry yeast. If Mr. Malty suggests that its not enough yeast, you can just pitch a second pack or part of a second pack. Rehydrate it in boiled and cooled (or otherwise sterile) water prior to pitching.

pish-posh pitching it dry is for the true heroes!

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

WaterIsPoison posted:

To actually answer your question you will be fine without a stirplate, make sure to aerate your starter plenty before pitching since it's usually harder to aerate well when the yeast is set.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Thanks all, I'll probably just pick up another pack at my local homebrew store.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Blistering Sunburn posted:

I've got an imperial IPA coming out of dry hopping and into bottles today. It's been in secondary for 2.5 weeks after a 6 day primary, coming in at around 9.5%.

Is re-pitching worth thinking about for bottle carbonating? Seems like a pain in the rear end but I don't really want flat beer, either.

This is pretty much 100% the same situation I was in (down to the exact same ABV!), and it took quite a long time to carbonate. I got so paranoid when three weeks went by with zero carbonation whatsoever that I opened up each bottle to reyeast it with rehydrated US-05 and recap. It only recently carbonated after five weeks in the bottle. Concerning your beer, there should still be a good amount of yeast remaining in solution right now, but it's probably pretty tired. I'd recommend reyeasting the bottling bucket with a small amount of new/rehydrated yeast just to cover your rear end, and to be able to drink your beer faster. :)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

WaterIsPoison posted:

Thanks all, I'll probably just pick up another pack at my local homebrew store.
This is what I would do (since its not going to hurt and will ensure you definitely have enough), but I will note that Mr. Malty suggests 1.3 packs of US-05 for that much, but I bet you could get away with just 1. Mr. Malty is pretty pessimistic about yeast viability.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yergh. Fusel hangovers are really bad.

On the brighter side, all the bottles are now ready to be washed and used for my porter. Bottled it this evening and it ended up quite nicely balanced. Also a bit boozy with a hefty 8% ABV, but this time I accounted for it. 7% caramalt, 7% chocolate, 14% munich and 70% maris otter pale. Hopped with EKG to an IBU of 45. Ended at my desired FG of 1.023 and the sweetness works well with the alcohol taste and hopping. Nice motivation after having a bit off first brew.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

WaterIsPoison posted:

You're in for a treat, that kit is :krad:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So I've had a smack pack sitting in my fridge for a while with a manufacture date of 03/12. I'm thinking of doing a 2L starter tonight and then a 4L starter on Thursday.

According to Mr. Malty I'd have to have 2 packs in order to get enough yeast, but I should be able to use the slurry portion of the calculator to judge if I've grown enough, right?

If after the 4L starter I don't have enough slurry do I just make another 4L or 5L and pitch again?

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 21, 2012

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Prefect Six posted:

So I've had a smack pack sitting in my fridge for a while with a manufacture date of 03/10. I'm thinking of doing a 2L starter tonight and then a 4L starter on Thursday.

According to Mr. Malty I'd have to have 2 packs in order to get enough yeast, but I should be able to use the slurry portion of the calculator to judge if I've grown enough, right?

If after the 4L starter I don't have enough slurry do I just make another 4L or 5L and pitch again?

If it's for a 5gal batch I think a 2L starter is sufficient, you may have to let it go for longer than 24 hours if the smack pack is really that old.

Keep an eye/nose on it, who knows what could have happened to the yeast over 2+ years.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If it's that old, you might want to go more like 250ml -> 1L -> 4L. My understanding is that dumping barely-alive yeast into a huge starter right off the bat just overwhelms it and you don't get healthy growth.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Sorry, I totally typo'd the date, it should have read March 2012!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

You should be more than fine then!

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Finally gonna have my kegerator/fermentation fridge done this weekend. Expect some pics, it's gonna be pretty nice looking.

But, more importantly, I'm doing that double decoction hefe that everyone raves about from this thread. Anyone have a suggested fermentation temperature? I know I probably want to skew warm and I'm using the weihenstephan yeast from wyeast. I want to be pretty balanced but probably skewed toward more clove/phenol then esters. I'm thinking 68 degrees?

:edit: Oh, and since it's also our kegerator, after the primary ferment is done in a day or two, would it be ok to drop the temperature a little closer to serving levels, or is this a yeast that will go dormant if we go down to, say 62, after the major work is done?

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."
My understanding for less esters is a lower temperature. I believe 62-64 is the hive mind recommended range for Hefe yeasts to not produce much banana runt bubble gum esters. I know its not what either White Labs or Wyeast recommend. I generally shoot for that range when making hefes myself and get great results.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
A while back I made a 10 gallon batch of Berliner Weisse with WLP630. It's been at least 3 months and I finally kegged and tapped the second 5 gallon portion, which is incredibly more tart and sour than the first 5 gallon batch. The difference is night and day. This yeast really needs time to sour things up.

That said: this yeast produces sulfur like that's its primary job. Yuck. Plus it has a Hefeweizen yeast so it can get inappropriately fruity if you're not careful. I'd recommend just using a straight lacto culture and something like a European ale yeast.

Tried making some Woodruff syrup for the Berliner with the dried stuff from the LHBS. Just steeped an ounce in half a gallon of 2:1 syrup. WAY too thick and next to no Woodruff character. Going to use 1:1 syrup next time and boil the herb with the syrup to see if that helps.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Finally gonna have my kegerator/fermentation fridge done this weekend. Expect some pics, it's gonna be pretty nice looking.

But, more importantly, I'm doing that double decoction hefe that everyone raves about from this thread. Anyone have a suggested fermentation temperature? I know I probably want to skew warm and I'm using the weihenstephan yeast from wyeast. I want to be pretty balanced but probably skewed toward more clove/phenol then esters. I'm thinking 68 degrees?

:edit: Oh, and since it's also our kegerator, after the primary ferment is done in a day or two, would it be ok to drop the temperature a little closer to serving levels, or is this a yeast that will go dormant if we go down to, say 62, after the major work is done?
I seem to remember on one of his podcasts (or maybe in BCS) Jamil Zainasheff insisting that hefeweizen should be fermented at 62, which seemed totally contrary to everything I'd heard but he insisted that it was better that way.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am brewing a dunkelweizen this week (or maybe weekend if I get lazy). Just a 3gallon batch with some wheat dme, wheat malt, munich, and chocolate wheat.

Now my question is more for the DME, I hear you can add it in later in the boil. Why would or should I do that?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am brewing a dunkelweizen this week (or maybe weekend if I get lazy). Just a 3gallon batch with some wheat dme, wheat malt, munich, and chocolate wheat.

Now my question is more for the DME, I hear you can add it in later in the boil. Why would or should I do that?

It's to keep the color lighter. The longer you boil extract (liquid or dry) the darker it will get. For a dunkelweizen it probably doesn't matter since it's supposed to be dark anyway. Another possible benefit is less scorching and caramelization of the sugars.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Kaiho posted:

You should be more than fine then!

Wow my post was so wrong and lacking in information. It's an estimated 1.062 OG dubbel recipie. You guys think the yeast is plenty viable 6-7 months from it's package date? It has been in the fridge since I received it. I guess the only way to know for sure is to make a starter and see what it smells like/what kind of slurry it produces after 24 hours + 24 hours in the fridge.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Daedalus Esquire posted:

It's going to vary by yeast strain but if you want cloves I would go no higher than 64 for the entire ferment. The suggestions of 62 are probably even better.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
My wheat ale has been sitting on 5 lbs of apricot puree I made for about 8 days now. I was expecting a quicker secondary fermentation than this but I've also never used fresh fruit in a brew before so I guess anything goes - it took about 2 days to really get going and then got pretty violent (even sending some puree up the airlock). It's calmed down now, the foam has disappeared, and the airlock is bubbling once ever 30-40 seconds. About when can I expect this to be ready for bottling?

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've just been given quite a few jars of what was supposed to be strawberry jam but ended up being more of a light syrup. I got a little bit of it over summer when the person who made it was still trying to save it, but she gave up and just gave me the rest.

When I had the small amount before, I decided to try putting a few spoonfuls in the bottom of a glass before pouring my German Wheat and it turned out excellent. I know adding it pre-fermentation won't carry through any flavors, but is there anything useful I can do with it anywhere before bottling?

If not, any suggestions on other styles which might mix well with it in the same way as the wheat did? The wheat's a favorite of my roommate and I, so that's of course being brewed again, but for me a lot of the fun of brewing is screwing around and doing new things so I'm up for trying pretty much anything my equipment allows.