Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The simplest explanation is that all of those issues got handwaved away in order to set up the premise of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy80
Jul 3, 2012
So I've read the first three arcs(5ish volumes) and I'm a little annoyed that almost every other female character in the series receives more character development than Asuka, who is supposedly the female lead. In the third arc he over does the development on the fem-hero to an annoying degree.

Basically, it wasn't bad, but I've read better fanfiction. I'm glad I'm reading it for free.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Quincy80 posted:

So I've read the first three arcs(5ish volumes) and I'm a little annoyed that almost every other female character in the series receives more character development than Asuka, who is supposedly the female lead. In the third arc he over does the development on the fem-hero to an annoying degree.

Basically, it wasn't bad, but I've read better fanfiction. I'm glad I'm reading it for free.

do you mean Asuna and not Asuka?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
SAO: 06

The Gooniest of Goons

edit: Well besides the fact that he got married in the first place

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Look at that next episode title

it's going to be the sex scene isn't it

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dexo posted:

SAO: 06

Huh? Crunchyroll says it's delayed a week due to the Olympics.
:negative:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Look at that next episode title

it's going to be the sex scene isn't it

Isn't that Chapter 16.5? I thought they aren't anywhere near that far into the story yet. And even if they were, they wouldn't show anything too explicit.

Incidentally, the chapter was recently removed from Baka-Tsuki on the grounds that it ruins the reputation of the series it isn't actually canon.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I can't be the sex scene, that's like at the last 20% of the story. I very much hope they aren't gonna include that.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Ep7's title is Warmth of the Heart. It's is the Volume 2 side-story where Kirito meets the blacksmith and has Dark Repulser forged. It's also the last side story written that's long enough to fill episodes before the main story arc. (Well, unless they decide to make an entire episode out of Kirito and Asuna getting colds. I kind of doubt it.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Edward IV posted:

One of the things that bothers me is that those devices should have never been approved for sale and consumer use if they are physically capable of burning out someone's brain. I don't care how brilliant Kayaba is or how groundbreaking the Nerve Gear is that it would need such a powerful microwave system. The fact that it is groundbreaking means that extra scrutiny is necessary to insure the protection of the user. Any competent approval agency would have failed the device when they see that the Nerve Gear has a microwave emitter that can put out enough energy to cook someones brain and doesn't have a physical safety system that prevents the radio energy from every exceeding the minimum safe exposure levels.

Of course, this is scenario where no one at the company realized Kayaba's deceit despite the fact that such an elaborate hijacking of a game and its players could never have been developed and hidden by just one person.

An automobile or an aeroplane is just as capable of killing the user; a similar situation would be if you had to drive a bus at a constant speed and it would explode if you slowed down. Its possible I would imagine this wouldn't have been FDA approved yet in the US but Korea/China/Japan I don't actually think it would not get approved so long as the inventors gave some effort/thought into showing it was safe while circumnavigating their own safeties.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

An automobile or an aeroplane is just as capable of killing the user a similar situation would be if you had to drive a bus at a constant speed and it would explode if you slowed down. Its possible I would imagine this wouldn't have been FDA approved yet in the US but Korea/China/Japan I don't actually think it would not get approved so long as the inventors gave some effort/thought into showing it was safe while circumnavigating their own safeties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk4A1AY10U0&t=49s

:downsbravo:

No but seriously that's a terrible comparison. I doubt the security regulations in Japan are any more lax than they are in the US.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We don't know how corrupt or easily bribed the Japanese version is; or how complacent and willing to provide their approval so long as there's lipservice effort to show it satisfy's consumer safety regulations.

What is compelling is that we drive, cook, use, fly, or otherwise control (or pretend to control) all sorts of dangerous objects and machinery that can and will kill the user, the Toyota non working breaks incident comes to mind.

The closest example I can think of is someone designing what looks like an absolutely safe design, like a pebble bed nuclear reactor but (and bribe the inspectors to not look too closely) is in reality a breeder reactor.

So I could imagine the designer saying "Yes the helmet relies on the creating of microwaves to [insert technobabble] but is completely safe because by design if anything were to go wrong it would stop working immediately and [something about the inverse square law for radiation]." Then put in a back door so all of that is circumnavigated.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not to sound like an ashole, but can we like discuss the show, the characters or the story without having 100 derails about how some minor plot element makes no sense? I mean, it's a loving anime, it's not some great work of art that will last for generations, and the guy who wrote it was in highschool when he started writing it.

If you want to make some valid criticism, discuss the overabundance of tentacles in episode 4 (or was it 5?) or something like that.

Also I just wanted to say I rather liked how the previous 2 episodes were more about "how did the killer go around the in-game laws to kill his victims?" rather than just "who is the killer?". I think it made for a nice little twist.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
I am enjoying the series exploring the aspects of humans continuing to be terrible to each other within the context of an MMO, even with the lingering threat of character death=real death. I can easily see people trying to find exploits or other devious tricks like the sleep-PK move in the last couple episodes to gently caress over other players.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I especially liked the admission that the game was fundamentally fair with its ground rules.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Capskye posted:

I am enjoying the series exploring the aspects of humans continuing to be terrible to each other within the context of an MMO, even with the lingering threat of character death=real death.

Actually, I am surprised that we haven't seen more people losing it and going into killing sprees. From what I understand it's already been a year or so? I think that would be more than enough to drive anyone insane.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rexides posted:

Actually, I am surprised that we haven't seen more people losing it and going into killing sprees. From what I understand it's already been a year or so? I think that would be more than enough to drive anyone insane.

I'm sure people have. But those people have probably been put down.

If you PK someone who has attacked someone recently you don't have a negative penalty.

For most players a group of 2-3 people would be all that's needed to take down someone who snapped and started killing people.

Kirito is probably one of the 3 strongest players in the game right now. He is the only person could reliably win against 3 or more players.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dexo posted:

Kirito is probably one of the 3 strongest players in the game right now. He is the only person could reliably win against 3 or more players.

He could definitely fight more than 3 players and survive. Remember that whole "the sum of your full-on attacks don't even reach half of what I can regenerate passively" speech?

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Yeah sure but those were different players and everyone's levels/stats are different.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The threat was having to face more top level players. While I'm sure they'd enjoy ganging up on Kirito, they're definitely not suicidal. It's clear they prey on weaker people.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

In the novel Kirito said he can't win against the 3 Laughing Coffin players alone, but he could fight them for 10 minutes, enough time for the others to come, by using healing items.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Kirito's abilities against other players is all about relative levels. He wouldn't be able to stand toe-to-toe with two or more players that were within a level or two of his.

Something they only mention once or twice in the anime is how equipment can make a huge difference. We really don't know much about Kirito from the anime and what kind of equipment he has, etc. We know he's solo player, so he gets to keep any really good stuff he gets, but on the other hand, getting really awesome stuff at his level should be nearly impossible without grouping.

I think if this kind of thing really did happen, you'd see really big guilds with hundreds of players in them rather than smaller guilds. This way, if there was a group of PK'ers out there, and they killed someone in a guild, the entire guild would go after that group of PK'ers and wipe them out. Even if the PK'ers were much higher level, you can still send enough lower level players at them to wear them down and kill them.

Kirito wouldn't have survived the attack from the tentacle episode if the PK'ers attacking him had two or three times their number.

Realistically, almost any solo player would be a target for any PK guild and likely have been recruited into a much larger guild by now with enticements of great loot and awesome benefits. I don't see solo'ing at any level for long sustainable in a true PK environment like this SAO seems to have.

Still, it's a very interesting story. I'm enjoying it. I do wonder why Kirito remains aloof from guilds, and I think it's because of the experiences he had at the lower levels with people being pissed off at him that he was a "Beater". As a result, he is like "....gently caress it, they can play without me."

It's sad in a way, it seems he has a lot of acquaintences but no true friends. I hope that changes.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Dan7el posted:

Still, it's a very interesting story. I'm enjoying it. I do wonder why Kirito remains aloof from guilds, and I think it's because of the experiences he had at the lower levels with people being pissed off at him that he was a "Beater". As a result, he is like "....gently caress it, they can play without me."

The anime hasn't really made it totally clear, but Kirito is self-admittedly very socially awkward. He feels uncomfortable in groups just by his own personality, being a pretty typical nerd. And the one time he did try to branch out, to make some friends and join a guild, they all died and he blames himself for it. Not exactly a confidence booster for someone uncomfortable in groups already.

Paranda
Jun 9, 2003

Dan7el posted:

Realistically, almost any solo player would be a target for any PK guild and likely have been recruited into a much larger guild by now with enticements of great loot and awesome benefits. I don't see solo'ing at any level for long sustainable in a true PK environment like this SAO seems to have.
IRL death is a pretty good deterrent that stops low level players from swarming higher level ones via attrition in the vast majority of cases. Nobody playing the game seriously wants to be the first guy that gets two-shotted by a solo player.

Taking down a really strong player in combat probably has higher risk of death than even a boss fight, since you can't just sit back and exploit the switching system knowing that the AI always heals on certain turns and attacks the frontmost party member on others. They never explained how the escape crystals worked either, but I assume you can use them in the middle of a battle, so you'd also have to be sure you killed off the target in the first few hits else they'd teleport to a safe zone.

For those reasons, I'd assume most PKs against players of higher levels could only be feasibly attempted out of combat (via paralysis or sleep PK). But really careful players should be able to avoid those kind of situations most of the time.

Paranda fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 15, 2012

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Whoops, I didn't realize Episode 6 was out already (looks like ep 7 is out too). It was noticeably more enjoyable for me than the first five! Congratulations, SAO. :toot:

I appreciate how they at least tried to make is seem like the uguu otaku elements were necessary for the plot. I was actually excited right until near the end when we find out Grimrock's motive for killing Griselda. "I had to kill my waifu because she was having too much fun being stuck in a video game. A bloo bloo bloo". :psyduck: Also, "She was the perfect wife. Pretty, submissive..."
:cawg:

e Episode 7: What the gently caress

Storgar fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 19, 2012

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Episode 7: Pretty-much a waste of 20-minutes. As soon as he said that the metal was dragon poo poo, I knew the girl was going to drop it, and she didn't disappoint me. Gah. A true "professional" all the way. I kept wondering what her "Mining" skill was. Too much WoW.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Dan7el posted:

Episode 7: Pretty-much a waste of 20-minutes. As soon as he said that the metal was dragon poo poo, I knew the girl was going to drop it, and she didn't disappoint me. Gah. A true "professional" all the way. I kept wondering what her "Mining" skill was. Too much WoW.

The only thing I liked about episode 7 was the interactions between Kirito and Asuna. I'm actually really liking that. Maybe I just don't watch enough anime for it to be cliche, but it actually reminds me of my friends and I and how we tend to be when playing games.

Otherwise, yeah. That was a surprising waste of time, and I was so excited at a second episode this week too. Goddamn. Why do we need all this filler when the story's already out?

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
After episode 7, I'm really starting to get worried for this anime knowing it was written by the same guy who did Accel World... and well yeah no need to go into that here.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zalgo posted:

After episode 7, I'm really starting to get worried for this anime knowing it was written by the same guy who did Accel World... and well yeah no need to go into that here.

Actually, I keep seeing this and I've never seen Accel World. What was wrong with it and should I be worried about the future of SAO?

Thus far while almost everything has felt like filler, up until episode 7 it was at least entertaining.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If I had to guess, it's just standard anime problem of having potential/promise and throwing it aside because Japan loves its tropes/stereotypes.

It doesn't help that we've had several episodes in a row now that are side-stories rather than the main plot. This isn't outright bad, but due to how volume 1 was the main plot and volume 2 does the side-stories we've seen so far, the payoff isn't really felt immediately. Episode 3 helps establish Kirito's continued solo play despite being at the area where coordinated group play is essential. Episode 4 does a bit of character-building as well as showing how things are behind the front lines. 5-6 are largely for Kirito and Asuna, and there's a bit that was left out/excised from the anime because the foreshadowing in that side-story is really obvious. Episode 7 does reveal a bit about Kirito but felt like a waste.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Kirito got his Cloudsong

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Whatever. Screw the main story line. I like how these episodes are being done.

If it weren't for the leveling and progression feel of the MMO setup, this series could easily just be a bunch of stand-alone non-chronological episodes showcasing the interesting interactions that occur in the situation they are in.
Hell, even a typically :rolleyes: episode devoted to tsun-'n-sour was made more interesting simply because they had to deal with the setting.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

AnacondaHL posted:

Whatever. Screw the main story line. I like how these episodes are being done.

If it weren't for the leveling and progression feel of the MMO setup, this series could easily just be a bunch of stand-alone non-chronological episodes showcasing the interesting interactions that occur in the situation they are in.
Hell, even a typically :rolleyes: episode devoted to tsun-'n-sour was made more interesting simply because they had to deal with the setting.

Well for me, this episode feels like it misses what the other sidestory episodes hit because of Kirito deciding he didn't need to explain that he knows what he's doing, fights on the front lines, or is a friend of Asuna. You'd think he'd have learned his lesson about keeping quiet about such things after what happened the last time he kept his mouth shut. The episode does score a hit when Liz realizes that she just did something dumb and in this game, death is real.

Argas fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, this was the worst of the side stories in the second book so I'm not surprised it was adapted as much.

I mean Pokémon / Lunar did that whole Dragon Poop joke a whole lot better in the 90's.

That said it and all the stuff that can be adapted from book 2 right is done so all that's left to do is adapt the main book whilst dipping into the remaining story book 2 has, right?

Zalgo posted:

Accell World's current problem is that it decided to shove a random 99% unrelated story (the only real connection was, AFIK, Snow Black being there) in the middle of everything going to poo poo for the main character. It'd be like if there was two episodes about Rosshu's village in the middle of the bit in Gurren Lagann where Simon is completely broken.

That and AW's current antagonist is in dire need of a forced divorce between him and his teeth by the medium of fist.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 19, 2012

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥

ConanThe3rd posted:

Accell World's current problem is that it decided to shove a random 99% unrelated story (the only real connection was, AFIK, Snow Black being there) in the middle of everything going to poo poo for the main character. It'd be like if there was two episodes about Rosshu's village in the middle of the bit in Gurren Lagann where Simon is completely broken.

That and AW's current antagonist is in dire need of a forced divorce between him and his teeth by the medium of fist.

No kidding, but that's for another thread. Best not to get too off topic here.
Overall as a series so far I am personally really liking how SAO is, and how these episodes have been played out. It seems like its moving fast given the jump between levels the main character does each episode, but really it's just skipping the boring crap that is MMOs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zalgo posted:

No kidding, but that's for another thread. Best not to get too off topic here.
Overall as a series so far I am personally really liking how SAO is, and how these episodes have been played out. It seems like its moving fast given the jump between levels the main character does each episode, but really it's just skipping the boring crap that is MMOs.

The Novels did that too presumably to fit the story into the contest's page limit (though he failed to do so) and, honestly, it's far better for it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 19, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I still can't get a hold of Kiriro's personality which is kind of due to him not really having one. The setting is cool but I'm not really liking the main character.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Zettace posted:

I still can't get a hold of Kiriro's personality which is kind of due to him not really having one. The setting is cool but I'm not really liking the main character.

I agree. I'm having a hard time figuring Kirito out as well.

I don't know if he waltzes into the weaponsmith's shop and looks/acts like a nobody because he wants to gently caress with her or because he doesn't really know any better. Plus, if Asuna did recommend he go there, you'd have thought that she'd be there to introduce the two. "Liz, this is my good friend Kirito. He is among the three highest level players in the game. He's also a complete social misfit. Don't let his looks fool you...."

More game mechanics stuff. Anyone else befuddled by the fact that they only needed one dragon poop-ore to make an entire awesome high-level sword?

Really. In most games I am familiar with, it would have taken like 120 raw ore items. Then you'd need to make dragon-poo steel by combining three ingots with 1 coal. Then, you'd need to make the handle, which would have taken 10 steel ingots and the blade, another 30 steel ingots, and you'd have had to have a leather-crafter provide the supremely high-quality leather bindings for the pommel and sheath -- 70 of those.

Also, in most games, most player-made stuff is no where near the quality of monster dropped stuff. It is refreshing to see that a player in this game can choose a profession, be good at it, and really make a difference in the game.

Likewise, the lack of "camping" amazes me. Everytime Kirito and [insert random female character here] go on a mission to collect [insert extremely rare item here], they walk up to the place, there is no one else there, and the accomplish the job. I understand that in episode 5 when he got the pet revival flower that he had to have someone who had a recently dead pet with him, but in this last episode, if the dragon poop was really all that awesome as a metal I'd expect there to be a line of high-level players with their master-smiths in tow attempting to collect as much ore as possible.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dan7el posted:

Likewise, the lack of "camping" amazes me. Everytime Kirito and [insert random female character here] go on a mission to collect [insert extremely rare item here], they walk up to the place, there is no one else there, and the accomplish the job. I understand that in episode 5 when he got the pet revival flower that he had to have someone who had a recently dead pet with him, but in this last episode, if the dragon poop was really all that awesome as a metal I'd expect there to be a line of high-level players with their master-smiths in tow attempting to collect as much ore as possible.

They did mention that no had been able to find the ore so far and presumably that's because no one had been stupid enough yet to jump into a seemingly bottomless hole in a game where death is permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
There's probably 5000 or less people in the game right now, and the world seems absolutely huge. It's not infeasible to see how it's sparsely populated.

• Locked thread