Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like my easton skates quite a bit.. except for the fact that they don't actually fit my feet. :v:

I think bauers look kind of stupid these days, like they spent too much effort trying to make them look futuristic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I really hope they open Lynah Rink for public skates soon. I'm itching to get back on the ice, especially now that I've got some of my wind back. these two weeks until the hockey course starts are gonna take forever. :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I was not impressed by my FBV cut. It was more expensive and went completely dull after 2-3 hours on the ice. I've gotten two 7/16" cuts over the course of my current season.

Yeah I dunno. I go like 30+ skates between sharpenings now so to say I like my skates dull is a bit of an understatement. If I don't like it i'm probably going to go 5/8" and see how that works.

I'm actually more excited by the custom combination radius

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 18, 2012

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

WouldDesk posted:

:supaburn:

I think I found a hockey buddy for stick and puck in OKLAHOMA

:supaburn:

Have not been this excited in a long while! BEWBIES, do you ever do SaP at Arctic Edge? I have no skates as of now so I will have to rent for a few weeks (I hear they have Bauers for rent?) and I need a new helmet but other than that I am ready to go.

I went to S&P there once. It was pretty crowded and there were some little kids in there so I really couldn't do a whole lot. I did let one shot go full speed and of course it hit the crossbar and when it came down it almost hit a kid. Sorry, kid.

I did go to a Saturday night one a while back and had the ice all to myself. That was pretty sweet. I doubt they're running that one with the back rink turned off right now.

As far as skates go, they just redid the pro shop there and it looks pretty solid. That might be a good place to start looking for some new wheels.

Also http://www.thestar.com/living/fashion/article/1243008--jeans-designed-for-hockey-player-s-builds

I have a case of hockey rear end. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I need to work out more then because I definitely do not have hockey rear end yet. :smith:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

do they have an assless pair?

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

bewbies posted:

I went to S&P there once. It was pretty crowded and there were some little kids in there so I really couldn't do a whole lot. I did let one shot go full speed and of course it hit the crossbar and when it came down it almost hit a kid. Sorry, kid.

I did go to a Saturday night one a while back and had the ice all to myself. That was pretty sweet. I doubt they're running that one with the back rink turned off right now.

As far as skates go, they just redid the pro shop there and it looks pretty solid. That might be a good place to start looking for some new wheels.

Also http://www.thestar.com/living/fashion/article/1243008--jeans-designed-for-hockey-player-s-builds

I have a case of hockey rear end. :(

Hockey jeans :stare: My girlfriends have always told me I have a big rear end. Normal otherwise, I now understand.

If you are interested (or don't already know) Star Skate in Norman has pickup roller hockey on Sundays from 8-10pm for $10. As soon as I get a helmet that fits I am going to start going. My garage just does not give ample room to play. Thanks for the other info as well :)

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
A guy on my team was saying that guys around my build (6'0, 200 lbs.) should go with a 5/8" cut on my skates. I have been getting 1/2", would I see much a difference with 5/8?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Give it a try if you're curious, all that happens is you lose a few bucks and some metal when you get them ground back to your old radius.

I think picking radius based on "build" is complete bupkis though. You should pick what makes you comfortable on the ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Guys on my team have gone through physical transformations (good and bad) and changed their radius and found improvement. A radius isn't like a skate size where there's a right answer, it's all about technique, and you don't know what can really work for you until you give it a try.

All you want to know about skate sharpening (along with some nonsense like "performance blade finishing"). The explanations though are top notch.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Well our game sucked last night. The other team was a total ringer team, half of them had no business in a beginners league. A few of them very clearly had high school+ experience. We ended up breaking the shutout at the end of the 3rd but it was still 9-2 in the end.

I also almost got in a fight because I threw a check on one of the guys on the other team who was obviously not supposed to be in this league while he was dancing around in our zone carrying it from behind the net. It would have been a clean hit (had the puck, shoulder to shoulder, etc.) if checking were legal, but it was still horribly uncalled for in a non-checking league, even if the guy obviously had played in high school or whatever before. He really should get the gently caress out of the league though, he honestly doesn't belong and is pretty much only there to feel good about himself.

Dms666 had a good game though!

e: I feel that I should add that after the game I did apologize to him when I shook his hand in the postgame handshake line.

e2: I also know that hitting people like that in a no-hit league when they aren't really expecting to be hit is really dumb and potentially dangerous and I should not do it, I'm not defending my actions, it was really uncalled for.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 20, 2012

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

If I have flat feet and terrible ankles, is ice hockey something I can do without excruciating pain? Roller blades gave me fits as a kid for being sore, but that was a 15-18 years ago. I miss playing ball hockey, but in order to get back into it, ice hockey seems to be the only thing I can do.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Boomer The Cannon posted:

If I have flat feet and terrible ankles, is ice hockey something I can do without excruciating pain? Roller blades gave me fits as a kid for being sore, but that was a 15-18 years ago. I miss playing ball hockey, but in order to get back into it, ice hockey seems to be the only thing I can do.

If they were RollerBlade blades, that was probably the reason. Hockey skates are more contoured to your feet. Also, lacing up tight helps to keep ankles straighter than not.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I've got flat feet, but after breaking my skates in I have no problems with my feet hurting. I don't know about ankle issues because I've never had any problems with mine, but there's pretty good ankle support in most skates now. Getting them baked can also help break them in a lot quicker.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is ice hockey your only option?

e: Regardless, I have flat feet and it's always a bitch breaking in a new pair of skates, but eventually they fit like a glove. Baking them helps. I'm not sure how much, really, I've always just assumed it helps, though I can't see it hurting any so do that if you get a pair of skates.

Gio fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 20, 2012

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

To paraphrase 'O Brother Where Art Thou', I live in an geographical anomaly that's 2 hours from anywhere with mens rec ball hockey (Columbus, Cleveland, Wheeling and Pittsburgh). The only hockey in my area is ice hockey.

Depending on finances, it's something I'm considering getting into, to get back into shape.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Honestly, though, my question should have been "why not play ice hockey" because hockey owns, it's the best, and everyone should do it.

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

I have all kinds of flat feet, planatar badness etc, and I do fine at ice hockey. Key for me though, was getting the right size and getting them fitted.

When I had skates that I bought similar to how you would buy sneakers, Ie with a little 'toe room' in them I found myself having horrible problems where my shins and feet would tighten up and go numb. I tried all kinds of screwy things with new insoles, new lacing patterns etc and it didn't help at all. Then just when I was about to give up, I took someone else's advice and bought skates where my toe could just touch the tip of the boot. I don't know whether it was the buying a better quality skate (I went up in quality) or just buying one that fit better, but the difference was immediate.

Also, bake your skates and they can even 'stretch' them out or such. I literally had a guy at the hockey store go through with a skate stretching press of some sort and make the arch of the boot both narrower and shallower as well as widening out the ball of my foot area. Its really paid off in comfort. If you buy good quality skates, you'll find they have a lot of ability to shape to your feet.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

Well our game sucked last night. The other team was a total ringer team, half of them had no business in a beginners league. A few of them very clearly had high school+ experience. We ended up breaking the shutout at the end of the 3rd but it was still 9-2 in the end.

I also almost got in a fight because I threw a check on one of the guys on the other team who was obviously not supposed to be in this league while he was dancing around in our zone carrying it from behind the net. It would have been a clean hit (had the puck, shoulder to shoulder, etc.) if checking were legal, but it was still horribly uncalled for in a non-checking league, even if the guy obviously had played in high school or whatever before. He really should get the gently caress out of the league though, he honestly doesn't belong and is pretty much only there to feel good about himself.

Dms666 had a good game though!

e: I feel that I should add that after the game I did apologize to him when I shook his hand in the postgame handshake line.

e2: I also know that hitting people like that in a no-hit league when they aren't really expecting to be hit is really dumb and potentially dangerous and I should not do it, I'm not defending my actions, it was really uncalled for.

Thanks, as you can tell I really wanted to end the shutout. Yeah, I had a feeling that once that drop pass to top corner wrister happened about 2-3 minutes in to a beginners league game, that it wasnt going to go well.

I think we just need someone who can carry the puck up and get us in the zone and we will be fine. Sophia seemed to be doing a decent job at it when she showed up.

I also completely missed your whole situation, was getting tired and had my head down.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Woohoo, we're going to the championship next Sunday!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Even though I have both arches on each foot and I have extremely loose and flexible ankles, I would say ice hockey is something you can do without excruciating pain... after a while.

In my learn to skate lessons my feet would be KILLING me after being on the ice for a whole 10 minutes. The pain would go away after 15 minutes. Afterwards, my feet would be sore.

A few lessons like that and I was thinking something was wrong. Anyway, I got Superfeet (yellow) insoles. It didn't SOLVE the problem, but my pain would be delayed by another 5 minutes and the pain would go away sooner as well. Feet were still really sore.

I never really made my skates super tight on my ankles, I could still bend them a bit. However, my ankles were never sore or hurting- it was only ever all of the loving muscles at the bottom of my feet.

Once the muscles in the bottom of my feet got used to having to keep balance on a razor blade, they started hurting less and less. Eventually it got to the point where it wasn't hurting at all.

On the flipside, I bought a pair of lovely fitting rollerblades, and my feet still hurt wearing them (and I haven't in forever) because my foot still has too much play even if I tighten the things up completely.

edit: so basically, I think you can do it. Also, what the other guy said: go to a hockey shop and but the gently caress out of some guy who is nice enough to take the time to explain exactly how it should fit and feel. You might have to try on different skates/brands/sizes too.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 20, 2012

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

Thanks, as you can tell I really wanted to end the shutout. Yeah, I had a feeling that once that drop pass to top corner wrister happened about 2-3 minutes in to a beginners league game, that it wasnt going to go well.

I think we just need someone who can carry the puck up and get us in the zone and we will be fine. Sophia seemed to be doing a decent job at it when she showed up.

I also completely missed your whole situation, was getting tired and had my head down.

Was that you that scored the first goal? I didn't even know who it was, I was just happy we got one past them. You were pretty much where you needed to be and you made a lot of good plays.

Honestly I think that a big part of the problem is our breakout. We're ok getting into the offensive end if we can get a clean breakout from the defensive end, but most of the time we just end up with panic clears that either go straight to the other teams defense and right back in our end or we do get the puck in the neutral zone in a bad position with no support for the puck carrier. I just think we need to calm down when we get the puck in the defensive end and get our forwards in good positions for breakout passes when we do. Sophia being there did make a noticeable difference too.

The other thing I noticed is that we pinch way too much, and when we do, nobody drops back to cover the point. We gave up at least 4 odd man rushes on bad or uncovered pinches.

And yeah, I drilled the guy coming around the net. He's definitely a strong skater, but that's still no excuse for me to hit him. He definitely had a right to be pissed about it tbh, but at least we both calmed down and didn't keep going and get kicked out.

E: I hit their #20, he was the ugly rear end guy who was skating circles around us in the defensive zone like the whole game.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 20, 2012

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

Was that you that scored the first goal? I didn't even know who it was, I was just happy we got one past them. You were pretty much where you needed to be and you made a lot of good plays.

Bill and Erik both scored I think.

Look Around You posted:

Honestly I think that a big part of the problem is our breakout. We're ok getting into the offensive end if we can get a clean breakout from the defensive end, but most of the time we just end up with panic clears that either go straight to the other teams defense and right back in our end or we do get the puck in the neutral zone in a bad position with no support for the puck carrier. I just think we need to calm down when we get the puck in the defensive end and get our forwards in good positions for breakout passes when we do. Sophia being there did make a noticeable difference too.

The other thing I noticed is that we pinch way too much, and when we do, nobody drops back to cover the point. We gave up at least 4 odd man rushes on bad or uncovered pinches.

I know I had a few bad clears last game. It seemed like they were just sending multiple guys down low and I was just trying to throw it up the wall as hard as I could, unless I had a second to look for a pass.

I wasnt there for the second game, but I know in the first we had plenty of time to look around for passes and breakouts, but then again, that all depends on how good the other team is.

Our second D pair definitely does seem to get caught pinching a lot and neither of them have the speed to make up for it if they do. I think that's what happened with the breakaway goal in game 1.

Friday looks like it is going to be tough too, I think Red Whines won it last session.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

trilljester posted:

A guy on my team was saying that guys around my build (6'0, 200 lbs.) should go with a 5/8" cut on my skates. I have been getting 1/2", would I see much a difference with 5/8?

That's really funny, because my personal instructor told me to do the exact opposite. I had em at 1/2, and she suggested getting down to 3/8 to get a better grip on the ice. I'm 6'0" and 210.

EDIT:
It's not a *huge* difference, but I like the 3/8.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

JetsGuy posted:

That's really funny, because my personal instructor told me to do the exact opposite. I had em at 1/2, and she suggested getting down to 3/8 to get a better grip on the ice. I'm 6'0" and 210.

EDIT:
It's not a *huge* difference, but I like the 3/8.

So I did a bit of research there based on the links posted in this thread and talking with the guy who sharpens my skates. He said 3/8 would work fine for me, and yes, I would get really nice grip, but it would cost me speed, especially with my weight since the skates would be digging in harder. He said next sharpen, try 5/8 and if I was wiping out more or what not, then go with 3/8. Worth a shot, I suppose!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Depending on finances,

Speaking of that:
Hockeymonkey.com upped their sale on everything* from 15 to 20%. (they don't have free shipping)
hockeygiant.com upped their 10% sale on everything* from 10 to 20%. (I thought they had free shipping on x amount, but don't see it anymore)
hockeyworld.com has 'sizzling summer savings' with "up to 50% off selected items" but took a quick look and its probably clearance stuff or things that aren't very good deals (I just looked at a pair of senior Bauer one x:40 shoulderpads and decided 60$ ain't that great). They do have free shipping on orders over 99$, though.
hockeytron.com (lol?) has 20% off everything* and free shipping on orders of 99$ or more.

Anyone have any other gear sites to pay attention to?
Others I tend to check are purehockey, totalhockey, icewarehouse

*excludes MAP items, or poo poo manufacturers tell them "no you are absolutely NOT allowed to sell our AWESOMESLICKSTICK 5'enty Gillion for anything less than 40 million dollars. If you do, we will be so mad and maybe stop allowing you to sell our poo poo"

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 20, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So at my last stick and puck, I played chicken with the Devil himself and went out without a cup. I had left it at home, and wasn't about to lose ice time just because of that. Let's just say I'm glad it was a fairly light crowd. I still cringed at every slapper that came my way though.

EDIT: Also, it was a million times more comfortable not having to wear that stupid loving spandex jock pant.

trilljester posted:

So I did a bit of research there based on the links posted in this thread and talking with the guy who sharpens my skates. He said 3/8 would work fine for me, and yes, I would get really nice grip, but it would cost me speed, especially with my weight since the skates would be digging in harder. He said next sharpen, try 5/8 and if I was wiping out more or what not, then go with 3/8. Worth a shot, I suppose!

One thing to point out is that whenever you get your skates sharpened to a new hollow, it takes a little time to get used to it. Obviously, the better you are, the quicker that time is. Don't be surprised if you fall a little more at first as you're getting used to your hollow.

I faceplanted my first stop because I stopped much more quickly than I'm used to and momentum always wins.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 20, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gio posted:

Honestly, though, my question should have been "why not play ice hockey" because hockey owns, it's the best, and everyone should do it.

this needs to go in the OP. I've only been playing since like May and I loving adore this game. I've already spent entirely too much money on it, and I could easily have spent 3x more than I did.

I just am glad to finally have a hobby that doesn't involve work-related talents.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

JetsGuy posted:

One thing to point out is that whenever you get your skates sharpened to a new hollow, it takes a little time to get used to it. Obviously, the better you are, the quicker that time is. Don't be surprised if you fall a little more at first as you're getting used to your hollow.

I faceplanted my first stop because I stopped much more quickly than I'm used to and momentum always wins.

When I first got my skates, I tried a FBV cut of 90/75 or maybe it was 95/75? I don't remember exactly, but I ended up hating the cut because while I got more speed, my edges dulled within about 3-4 hours of ice time and I couldn't turn as tight as I could with a regular hollow cut.

I'm going to definitely try 5/8 at the start of next season and try and get used to it as fast as possible. We're in playoffs right now, not the best time to change cuts. :)

trilljester fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 20, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

Also, it was a million times more comfortable not having to wear that stupid loving spandex jock pant.

Get one of the mesh short ones then. They are like 12-20 dollars

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea I bought a mesh jock short (without the cup) with velcro sock tabs for like $20.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Yeah, I already got the cup with the shorts (I have one of those SHOCK DOCTOR ones). Are the mesh shorts at least snug around your balls?

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Yeah, I already got the cup with the shorts (I have one of those SHOCK DOCTOR ones). Are the mesh shorts at least snug around your balls?

I also use the mesh shorts and definately prefer them. The jock part has its own lil straps to hold it securely in place. In many ways its like an old style sports jock attached to a set of mesh shorts with velcro sock holders.

Anyway, I have had both and definately prefer the loose fitting mesh short style.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But compression shorts are what all the cool kids wear these days. :colbert:

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

xzzy posted:

Fitting my rear end in compression shorts is definately not cool any day. :butt:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

I wear compression because it keeps my cup in place very nicely so I always have optimal nut protection.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I became a compression shorts fan when I started bicycling again. Boxers are a loving terrible idea when you got two thighs grinding a pair of sweaty nuts into a meaty pulp.

Tighties keep everything nicely in place.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Compression shorts are more comfortable to me \/:shobon:\/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's a jock strap + mesh shorts. Like how a jock strap works, but want more shorts with velcro tabs to help keep your socks up? Boom, there it is.

I don't understand how compression shorts are uncomfortable either but I don't understand a lot of what some of you guys do and don't do. The mesh shorts are just more durable to me (and i take better care of my stuff now compared to the last time I had compression shorts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

sellouts posted:

It's a jock strap + mesh shorts. Like how a jock strap works, but want more shorts with velcro tabs to help keep your socks up? Boom, there it is.

I don't understand how compression shorts are uncomfortable either but I don't understand a lot of what some of you guys do and don't do. The mesh shorts are just more durable to me (and i take better care of my stuff now compared to the last time I had compression shorts)

The couple times I've worn them I just didn't find them comfortable. The two main issues for me is I'm a sweaty beast and have always preferred to have as much 'skin' exposed as possible for letting off body heat. You'd think the thin layer of compression shorts wouldn't make a difference, but at least psychologically to me, it does.

The other is sizing. I'm a fireplug. My legs to torso ratio is ridiculously funny. I'm 5'8" and have the same inseam size as my former 5'1" girlfriend. So with loose 'shorts' I don't have to worry as much about getting all the proportions to my odd body right.

That said, I wear undergarmets under the shorts, so my precious bits are kept fairly secured from shifting about to a dangerous position.