Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh...I can't figure out how the geometry works, then. There must be some kind of extra linkage that you can't see in the photo. The swingarm pivot is that thing right above the peg, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
The two ends of the shock move apart, but the spring compresses. The top shock in the picture showed it best, those rods act as pull rods. Cool, huh?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Deeters posted:

I like how you went from saying that a fork brace was too expensive to just buying a new bike. That matte white is a really cool look.

Too expensive for what you get... I don't see any issue with that statement. :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hold on, are those inverted forks? On a Harley? This isn't the America I was born in

Yep.. with preload, rebound and dampening adjustments, same on the shocks... ON A HARLEY.

n8r posted:

I can't wait to simultaneously hate what you are going to do to that bike because you have questionable taste, but respect the fact that you do most of the work yourself and do at least somewhat original things to your bike.

I am not doing much of anything to this. I will do new exhaust, intake and tuning and I may clean up the brake/turns with smaller units but that is really about it. After doing 250 miles this weekend @ Deal's Gap, I honestly can't change much... this thing is just fantastic.

I'll post some video once I get them transferred... This thing is sooooo unlike my other Sportster that it took some getting used to. The power doesn't come in until you top 3200rpm and it pulls HARD until you hit the rev limiter at 7000rpm.

It sticks so freaking well in the corners that I was scraping pegs and the exhaust heat shield by my 2nd pass and the top end on this bike is just amazing.

Granted, this is coming from someone who has never owned a sportbike, and I know that this bike cannot hang with even the baby sport bikes, but for a Harley it is a radical departure from the norm.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 20, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

DILLIGAF posted:

Yep.. with preload, rebound and dampening adjustments, same on the shocks... ON A HARLEY.

They're pretty high-end Showa bits. The double-shock swingarm setup overall is a bit crude compared to a modern sportybike monoshock, but those specific rear shocks are some of the best you can get for the arrangement. Showa USA is basically Honda, so if you want you can tease Harley die-hards about your fast Hog riding on Honda suspenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk07djDNY00

From what I've heard about the XR1200 race series, they don't get the overall lap times that even a race-prep SV650 can achieve, but the bikes get very healthy lean angles and honestly it makes the XR12 look like a ton of fun for a track bike. Also the sound (see about 1:00) is outright amazing and makes me wonder why Termignonis on Sportsters aren't more of a thing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh God.

I looked at two 2009 Buell XB1125CRs today. One with less than 5K, the other with under 2K. Oh god I can't afford 7K right now.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I wonder if the belt drives hold up to hard riding/wheelies/etc now. I had a 2003 Buell XB9 which was basically "the belt will break" (and did), while later revised Buells "might break, might not". The XR1200 belts must be pretty solid though if those racers are still using them instead of converting to chain.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Never got a completely clean run, but still set a personal best of 14:05 on a one way from the Overlook to the resort (11 miles, 318 curves). I think with another day, and assuming I didn't hit traffic, I could have shaved another 30 seconds.

http://youtu.be/K4lpO8EmVCg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you're going to do anything to it, put a bigger headlight on it. That tiny light with all that gap between it and the forks looks weird.

Other than that, awesome bike, enjoy it

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

DILLIGAF posted:

Too expensive for what you get... I don't see any issue with that statement. :)

I am not doing much of anything to this. I will do new exhaust, intake and tuning and I may clean up the brake/turns with smaller units but that is really about it. After doing 250 miles this weekend @ Deal's Gap, I honestly can't change much... this thing is just fantastic.

I'll post some video once I get them transferred... This thing is sooooo unlike my other Sportster that it took some getting used to. The power doesn't come in until you top 3200rpm and it pulls HARD until you hit the rev limiter at 7000rpm.

It sticks so freaking well in the corners that I was scraping pegs and the exhaust heat shield by my 2nd pass and the top end on this bike is just amazing.

Granted, this is coming from someone who has never owned a sportbike, and I know that this bike cannot hang with even the baby sport bikes, but for a Harley it is a radical departure from the norm.

Bike is great, and I want one now.

So this is a thing. http://vanceandhines.com/xr1200/
http://vanceandhines.com/xr1200racing/race-kit/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwKAXfnAIVM

Speed channel had a race on from Indy this weekend. It was fantastic to watch, even though it ended early due to half the field crashing out from an oil down.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you're going to do anything to it, put a bigger headlight on it. That tiny light with all that gap between it and the forks looks weird.

Other than that, awesome bike, enjoy it

I saw one with the Buell dual headlight setup... might make night rides a little brighter.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
While it gets the job done well enough, I wouldn't exactly characterize my Uly's dual headlight setup as bright at night.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

While it gets the job done well enough, I wouldn't exactly characterize my Uly's dual headlight setup as bright at night.

Well, that scotches that idea then!

I rode the "Bear Run" this year (Our annual midnight ride on the Tail of the Dragon) and the light is actually not that bad. Better than the 7" I had on my other bike. I am not paying $429 for an HD LED conversion kit but I might still look at other alternatives for bulbs/conversions later on down the road.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On my vstar I simply put in a fancy bulb when I had to replace the factory one and it was a huge improvement. Something like a Sylvania silverstar ultra.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

BlackLaser posted:

Bike is great, and I want one now.

So this is a thing. http://vanceandhines.com/xr1200/
http://vanceandhines.com/xr1200racing/race-kit/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwKAXfnAIVM

Speed channel had a race on from Indy this weekend. It was fantastic to watch, even though it ended early due to half the field crashing out from an oil down.

Yeah, they have some nice kit but man... the prices could be a little friendlier!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I checked out the HD website to see the 2013 models released today. Everything has a metal flake paint option and they no longer sell the XR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deeters posted:

they no longer sell the XR.

:ughh:

This is why Harley is ultimately doomed

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Deeters posted:

I checked out the HD website to see the 2013 models released today. Everything has a metal flake paint option and they no longer sell the XR.

From what I hear, they are still offering it in Europe, just not in the US. I have met so many people that have never even heard of it.... wonder how it would have gone had HD actually ADVERTISED the bike. I hate the MoCo.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Deeters posted:

:lol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The one bike that had some decent crossover appeal to the non-harley crowd, they axe without advertising it.

There isnt an :ughh: big enough

I live in Milwaukee, and this poo poo makes me so drat mad, because I really want to root for them, but they keep pulling the dumbest moves.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Man, and I'm pretty sure my uncle just sold or traded his XR recently too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Deeters posted:

Everything has a metal flake paint option and they no longer sell the XR.

The 2013 flake is definitely pretty though.

Ball654
Aug 9, 2008
Does anyone have any experience with 1999(ish) Harley FLHTCI leaking fuel line problems?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The one bike that had some decent crossover appeal to the non-harley crowd, they axe without advertising it.

I live in Milwaukee, and this poo poo makes me so drat mad, because I really want to root for them, but they keep pulling the dumbest moves.

Don't you think the AMA series they supported was advertising?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No, because it was advertising to the type of people who were already into the XR enough to watch a race series based around it. Also lmao if you think any decent amount of people in the US even know what an AMA series is, or where to watch one (hint: its 3AM on speed channel after 22 hours of nascar is done)

I meant actual advertising. Print, TV, things that will hit millions of people, not the pocket of people that dont need to be advertised to because they already like the XR.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ball654 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with 1999(ish) Harley FLHTCI leaking fuel line problems?

I am aware of some vacuum petcock issues from that vintage. Lots of folks switch up to a manual valve. This is only for carb models though.

If it's an EFI or if it's clearly not the fuel valve, I'd pop the tank up, locate the leak, and fix it. There isn't much fuel line on these.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Braincloud posted:

2010 Crossbones. 1400 miles and pretty much all stock. No big plans for it since I love the bike as it is. I'll probably methodically replace all the chrome bits with black. It's my first Harley.

Bonus: Already have a 17 day bike trip planned for the end of this month. Curious to see how Death Valley in August feels :/

Edit: anyone know of a good place to get a license plate bracket that vertically mounts to the side, preferably NOT in chrome?

I think I saw this bike today. Do you live in/around los angeles?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

I dunno, that hard candy paint is a pretty sexy throwback.

Also, I love Harley's embrace and use of the hash-tag in their advertising:

SaNChEzZ posted:

I think I saw this bike today. Do you live in/around los angeles?

Negative - PNW where summer is coming to a close :(

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 21, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Here's the thing. Whatever H-D Corporate thinks, the local dealers make their money on two things: tacky bolt-on cosmetic crap (usually chrome) for the bikes, and tacky cosmetic clothing (usually frilly leather) for the riders. People buying an XR1200 are (hopefully) going to understand the negative consequences of all that stick-on stuff and (somewhat more speculatively) are going to want protective or at least sporty-looking gear that the H-D dealer doesn't stock. So when that dealer looks at the XR1200 rider all he sees is a pile of ape hangers and spiked mirrors and 'custom' floorboards and assless chaps (and all the shop labor and small bits to stick on all that crud) he's not going to be able to roll into the loan. What dealer-add bits the XR does have commit the inventory sin of being XR-specific, unlike the rest of the Mr PotatoPotatoHead Harley accessories lineup. Also, honestly, I doubt XR1200 riders are going to come back in a few years and decide what they really want is a full bagger Road King. So the dealers are going to do everything in their power to bury the XR1200.

You'll recognize this as exactly what killed Buell.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The XR is a really cool bike but I'm not surprised HD killed it for all the reasons already mentioned.

They are not in the business of building high performance bikes. They are a marketing company.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Snowdens Secret posted:

Here's the thing. Whatever H-D Corporate thinks, the local dealers make their money on two things: tacky bolt-on cosmetic crap (usually chrome) for the bikes, and tacky cosmetic clothing (usually frilly leather) for the riders. People buying an XR1200 are (hopefully) going to understand the negative consequences of all that stick-on stuff and (somewhat more speculatively) are going to want protective or at least sporty-looking gear that the H-D dealer doesn't stock. So when that dealer looks at the XR1200 rider all he sees is a pile of ape hangers and spiked mirrors and 'custom' floorboards and assless chaps (and all the shop labor and small bits to stick on all that crud) he's not going to be able to roll into the loan. What dealer-add bits the XR does have commit the inventory sin of being XR-specific, unlike the rest of the Mr PotatoPotatoHead Harley accessories lineup. Also, honestly, I doubt XR1200 riders are going to come back in a few years and decide what they really want is a full bagger Road King. So the dealers are going to do everything in their power to bury the XR1200.

You'll recognize this as exactly what killed Buell.

That makes sense. I got my first taste of the HD marketing machine when I took the rider's edge course.

It's a shame they killed the XR1200, as that was the only HD I'd ever consider buying.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know all of the stupid reasoning, its just so drat frustrating to see a local company that has a huge influence around here just piss away opportunities to garner a fanbase beyond their aging current one.

At least EBR is still in the state.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hey now, they bought Agusta from a couple Italian dudes for 14 million and then sold it back to the same 2 Italian dudes for like 1 million 3 years later. As an Italian bike owner, I appreciate what H-D is doing for Italian private industry.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know all of the stupid reasoning, its just so drat frustrating to see a local company that has a huge influence around here just piss away opportunities to garner a fanbase beyond their aging current one.

Well, they seem to be doing pretty well with getting to hipsters with Dark Customs or whatever. The motor company always tends to copy what the custom scene is doing, so maybe we'll see a cafe racer of some sort soon.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

At least EBR is still in the state.

I know a LOT of young Sporty riders around here, many of whom plan to upgrade to a big twin bike when the money/time comes. Transversely I don't know a single person under the age of 35 who owns a BT.

The Sporty/BT lineup just perpetuates the demographic targeting.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!

The V-rods live another year. I loving love my NRS and, along with the xr1200x, think Harley is loving retarded for not marketing the poo poo out of these bikes. I lose count of how many guys in their 20s and 30s have told me they love it, and they "didn't know Harley made a bike like that."

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CombatMedic posted:

The V-rods live another year. I loving love my NRS and, along with the xr1200x, think Harley is loving retarded for not marketing the poo poo out of these bikes. I lose count of how many guys in their 20s and 30s have told me they love it, and they "didn't know Harley made a bike like that."

Does Harley ever really advertise bikes? I'm trying to think of a time I saw a commercial for "The New <Whatever>" and I can't think of one. Just the lifestyle/image stuff.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If only they still made a V-Rod with mid-mount pegs... :allears:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Does Harley ever really advertise bikes? I'm trying to think of a time I saw a commercial for "The New <Whatever>" and I can't think of one. Just the lifestyle/image stuff.

They have marketing and they send review bikes to magazines. The CVOs are already getting reviews. And the big push right now seems to be for the candy flake models.

I'm sure they have ads on mags and TV but I don't watch/read anything they'd target so I can't say.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They do print and billboard ads, at least in Milwaukee, although we may be different than other cities for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They do print and billboard ads, at least in Milwaukee, although we may be different than other cities for obvious reasons.

But are they actually model-specific, like
"THE NEW 2013 ROAD KING: PRETTY MUCH EXACTLY LIKE EVERY PREVIOUS ROAD KING BUT IN DIFFERENT COLORS"
because those I can't recall having seen.

• Locked thread