Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Even a faint second line is a positive as long as it appeared within the time limit. I'd do another test tomorrow and let us know how it goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Two more tests today and two more faint lines. I, in a fit of neurotic crazy person, had my husband do one too so I could see if the line was showing up just because it was wet for him. He had no line at all at the same time I had my faint line, so I might actually be pregnant. Going to hold off testing again until Sunday. :) Hopefully by then it will be more obvious.

We've been trying for a short period of time, and if I am pregnant, that is going to be the most interesting mix of awesome, exciting, and terrifying all at the same time.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Congrats Sheri!

Well I wasn't pregnant after our little scare last month. Now we have talked and decided to go back to waiting for another year. It makes more sense with our school schedules but I also get paranoid that we will never reach the right time to start trying. It doesn't help that I am 28 and while I know that is not old I can't help but feel paranoid that we will have a hard time conceiving.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I know how you feel. If it makes you feel any better, I am 29. I know that that isn't old by any stretch by I worry about conceiving, carrying to term, etc.

Just tell yourself one year likely won't make a significant difference. :)

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I'm in a similar boat too, so seconding the 'you're not alone' sentiment. Turning 29 next March, and due to work considerations I can't afford to get pregnant until after I turn 30 at the earliest. I'm doing what I can to prepare for then- stopped the pill (after 10 straight years on it) about 11 months ago and I'm working on being fit enough to run 10km when we start trying. Might be a bit early to go off the pill, but I want my body to have as much time as possible to adjust so everything's ready to go when the time comes.

Sucks though, as much as I want to have children eventually I do catch myself quietly wishing my partner had a uterus and younger ovaries so it wouldn't be down to me to grow our family in this so very limited time frame.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Scenty posted:

Congrats Sheri!

Well I wasn't pregnant after our little scare last month. Now we have talked and decided to go back to waiting for another year. It makes more sense with our school schedules but I also get paranoid that we will never reach the right time to start trying. It doesn't help that I am 28 and while I know that is not old I can't help but feel paranoid that we will have a hard time conceiving.

I got pregnant with my daughter very easily when I was 29 (I was on a placebo week of BC and antibiotics). Got pregnant with our son after a couple of months (I also had just stopped taking BC) when I was 32. I just had him almost 3 weeks ago and will be 33 in October.

Honestly I think really the only thing that becomes harder is pregnancy itself. ;)

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
My first posts in this thread were when I was concerned about a false positive which was obviously a real positive and now I have a five month old sleeping in the other room.

I was 28 when I got pregnant and we weren't even trying. I know a lot of people my age (including myself!) are for some reason worried a lot about fertility dropping off. I'm not sure why a lot of people imagine 30 as this magical age where women stop being fertile. A friend of mine is saying she thinks if she doesn't get pregnant by 30 it will be impossible for her. She has no medical evidence of this, it's just something she thinks. I think as long as you're in good shape it will help a lot -- pregnancy is really hard on the body like bamzilla said.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I'm 31 and it took us 10 months, but mostly it was due to the fact that there were times where we were too tired to get busy when we needed to, and others when we just timed stuff incorrectly. Honestly it's not like you cross some line when you turn 30! It'll be fine :)

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Working in the medical field certainly doesn't help the worrying- I think most fertility docs I know would be happier if everyone had their kids by 28, never mind 30. Once you hit 30 you're known as a geriatric prima gravida, and if you're mad enough to wait til 35 to have your first one there is a special kind of prejudice against you that is reserved for said wanting to get knocked up who end up needing fertility services. The OB/GYNs would never admit it to their patients' faces, but there you go.

The worst stat I've heard this year is that a 28 year old has as much chance of carrying twins to term without complications as a 35 year old does of a singleton pregnancy, and triplets if you compare to a 40 year old. The focus on age being the single biggest factor is because the doctors focus on it being the single biggest factor, least where having your first child is concerned.

E: spelling, posting from phone

E2: Mind you, this could also be due to the fact that I live and work in a rural area where a huge number of people try to game the welfare system by having kids, and there is a ridiculous number of teenage pregnancies. It's not uncommon to meet 38-39 year old grandmothers, and people with 5+ kids by the age of 28-30. I've also scanned more than one girl under 30 on IVF here, and none over the age of 35. Scary.

nyerf fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 12, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It would be a lot easier to have kids younger than 30 if the US had better social services for women and children. I'll be 30 by the time I have the baby I'm pregnant with now. We would have started a lot earlier if I could have gotten reasonable maternity leave and child care. I probably would have also found out about my issues getting pregnant (thyroid issues) if I had better health insurance to begin with.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 12, 2012

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I got a positive result this morning, so I guess I'm in this thread for real now. 28 yrs old here - my husband will be 28 in about a week. He's the one with the dream job and makes about 3x as much as I do, so I'm not hugely worried about losing my job when I say "guess what, I'm pregnant" though I'll hold off that for a while. Also since there's only 3 of us at my work, I know I'm not getting any paid maternity leave or anything like that...

We've been trying for about two weeks :psyduck: good lord. I blame his Irish catholic background.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Abbeh posted:

I got a positive result this morning, so I guess I'm in this thread for real now. 28 yrs old here - my husband will be 28 in about a week. He's the one with the dream job and makes about 3x as much as I do, so I'm not hugely worried about losing my job when I say "guess what, I'm pregnant" though I'll hold off that for a while. Also since there's only 3 of us at my work, I know I'm not getting any paid maternity leave or anything like that...

We've been trying for about two weeks :psyduck: good lord. I blame his Irish catholic background.

Congrats! It was the same way for us with my first pregnancy, pretty much as soon as we started trying, BLAM. We both have Irish catholic backgrounds too, so you may be on to something there. :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Congratulations Abbeh and sheri! Lovely news :3:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Congrats!

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Abbeh posted:

Took me a week and a half. I blame Catholicism in general, I have Polish Catholic upbringing. Congrats!!

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I don't even know what to blame for us-- with both pregnancies, we had the, "Maybe we should have a(nother) baby" talk and then found out a week or two later that I was already pregnant. :psyduck: But yes, congratulations!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Congrats Abbeh! Move yourself on over to the Pregnancy Thread :)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Congrats Abbeh!

My husband and I are both lapsed Catholics (from huge Catholic families) but it doesn't seem to be working out all that well for us.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Thanks folks!

My mom's family is also very... fertile. My cousin is a grandmother two times over at this point, so I guess we have it on both sides of the family.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Yesterday I was 6 weeks pregnant, now it looks pretty definite that I'm not.

I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but how long does the bleeding typically last for? Does it count just like a period as far as cycles go?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but how long does the bleeding typically last for? Does it count just like a period as far as cycles go?

I'm sorry. Miscarriage sucks.

How long the bleeding will last depends on a lot of factors. At 6 weeks along you are kind of on the border between "will be like a normal period, maybe somewhat heavier" and "will likely be a lot worse than a normal period". For most women the bleeding will last 5-7 days, with most of the heavy bleeding concentrated in 1-2 days and spotting possibly lasting a few days longer. If it gets heavy enough to soak a pad in an hour for more than two hours, or becomes too painful, you should go to the ER. If it doesn't show signs of stopping by the end of a week, I'd go see your doctor.

In terms of cycles, it counts as a period. It may take longer than usual for you to ovulate, especially if your HCG levels are not yet at zero. You may also have an anovulatory cycle, in which case your next period may be extra heavy or extra light and may come either earlier or later than you would usually expect it. Basically the post-miscarriage cycle is an anything goes sort of thing.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I'm totally not trying to pry, but have you had your doctor confirm its a m/c? I only ask because I had three incidences of heavy bleeding, the last of which was horrifying (seriously, I have flashbacks), between weeks 6-9, and after each one I was convinced we'd lost the baby. Especially after the last one. I was shocked to find out we hadn't. I'm not trying to give you false hope, just share that my experiences were super weird and that you can have a ton of bleeding and not lose the pregnancy.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Ceridwen posted:

I'm sorry. Miscarriage sucks.

How long the bleeding will last depends on a lot of factors. At 6 weeks along you are kind of on the border between "will be like a normal period, maybe somewhat heavier" and "will likely be a lot worse than a normal period". For most women the bleeding will last 5-7 days, with most of the heavy bleeding concentrated in 1-2 days and spotting possibly lasting a few days longer. If it gets heavy enough to soak a pad in an hour for more than two hours, or becomes too painful, you should go to the ER. If it doesn't show signs of stopping by the end of a week, I'd go see your doctor.

In terms of cycles, it counts as a period. It may take longer than usual for you to ovulate, especially if your HCG levels are not yet at zero. You may also have an anovulatory cycle, in which case your next period may be extra heavy or extra light and may come either earlier or later than you would usually expect it. Basically the post-miscarriage cycle is an anything goes sort of thing.

Thanks, it's pretty much like a normal period, last night I had a bit of dark brown spotting then this morning it was full on just like a period bleeding but no worse. There's a couple of tiny little clots every now and again which I'm trying not to think about too much.

Schweig und tanze posted:

I'm totally not trying to pry, but have you had your doctor confirm its a m/c? I only ask because I had three incidences of heavy bleeding, the last of which was horrifying (seriously, I have flashbacks), between weeks 6-9, and after each one I was convinced we'd lost the baby. Especially after the last one. I was shocked to find out we hadn't. I'm not trying to give you false hope, just share that my experiences were super weird and that you can have a ton of bleeding and not lose the pregnancy.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon.

We went up to the midwives this morning, they did a scan but didn't see anything in the uterus which isn't that unusual at 5 weeks, but based on the amount of blood they didn't look too hopeful. They gave me a pregnancy test to do again on Friday just in case. I guess there's always a chance, my sisters friend had a similar thing happen, but I really don't think it is.

Right now I'm just trying to think of it as a late period and stop crying.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

We went up to the midwives this morning, they did a scan but didn't see anything in the uterus which isn't that unusual at 5 weeks, but based on the amount of blood they didn't look too hopeful. They gave me a pregnancy test to do again on Friday just in case. I guess there's always a chance, my sisters friend had a similar thing happen, but I really don't think it is.

Right now I'm just trying to think of it as a late period and stop crying.

I'm so sorry youre going through this. You're allowed to grieve as much as you feel necessary. I will say though that three days after I had the first bout of heavy bleeding, we went to the dr for an u/s, I was 5wks5days and all my dr saw was an empty sac, no fetal pole or anything like that. A week later u/s showed a 6 week embryo and I still had more and heavier bleeding. My doctor told me to be prepared to lose it all the way up until I was 10 weeks. That's when she stopped being so pessimistic.

So it could go either way, I know how horrible it is to not know one way or the other and also to be so scared and frustrated enough that I wished it was all over. Best of luck to you, I hope you end up with good news, but if not, it's not your fault :sympathy:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Sorry to hear that hookerbot :(

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

So I've got two faint positive tests. I'm scared to get excited after the miscarriage in June but I'm hoping it gets darker in the next few days.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Ceridwen posted:

So I've got two faint positive tests. I'm scared to get excited after the miscarriage in June but I'm hoping it gets darker in the next few days.

A couple of faint positives is how it started for me. I'll be crossing my fingers for you!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Schweig und tanze posted:

So it could go either way, I know how horrible it is to not know one way or the other and also to be so scared and frustrated enough that I wished it was all over. Best of luck to you, I hope you end up with good news, but if not, it's not your fault :sympathy:

Thanks a lot for sharing a positive scenario, but unfortunately it's mot the case. I did another pregnancy test this morning and there was nothing. If it wasn't for the fact I had to throw away 4 positive pregnancy tests from the weeks before I'd have thought I imagined the whole thing.

bee posted:

Sorry to hear that hookerbot :(

Ceridwen posted:

Good luck :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Thanks a lot for sharing a positive scenario, but unfortunately it's mot the case. I did another pregnancy test this morning and there was nothing. If it wasn't for the fact I had to throw away 4 positive pregnancy tests from the weeks before I'd have thought I imagined the whole thing.

I'm so sorry :( I feel like an rear end in a top hat for even saying anything, but this whole getting pregnant thing is scary and hard and I hate how hopeless it can feel - I just wanted to share that weird poo poo can sometimes happen.

The good news is, you can start trying again whenever feels right for you.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Ceridwen posted:

This is exciting stuff! I have my fingers crossed for you Ceridwen.

So... it's been 43 days since my last period. Two pregnancy tests over the last three weeks have come back negative. My temperature went up half a degree a bit three days ago so I thought perhaps I might be ovulating, but the next day I woke up quite ill and feverish so I guess that explains the spike. Ovulation test was also a negative.

Earlier in the year I took a break from the pill, had one period then nothing for about three months. At that point, my skin started breaking out like crazy so I started taking it again. I'm not sure whether this is something to be concerned about, should I even bother going to my doctor or just keep waiting?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

bee posted:

This is exciting stuff! I have my fingers crossed for you Ceridwen.

So... it's been 43 days since my last period. Two pregnancy tests over the last three weeks have come back negative. My temperature went up half a degree a bit three days ago so I thought perhaps I might be ovulating, but the next day I woke up quite ill and feverish so I guess that explains the spike. Ovulation test was also a negative.

Earlier in the year I took a break from the pill, had one period then nothing for about three months. At that point, my skin started breaking out like crazy so I started taking it again. I'm not sure whether this is something to be concerned about, should I even bother going to my doctor or just keep waiting?

I'm slightly confused. Are you on the pill right now?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Alterian posted:

I'm slightly confused. Are you on the pill right now?

I'm sorry, I should clarify. I resumed taking the pill in April, because my skin was breaking out really badly. I stopped taking it in early July, because my partner and I decided to try and conceive. I got a pretty normal by my standards period immediately, and nothing since then.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Since you've only been off the pill for a monthish, I'd give it some time. I quit taking the pill in mid May-ish and didn't have a real period until after the first week in July. The bleeding you experience may have just been a reaction to going off the pill and not a true period.

It can take a bit for your cycles to become somewhat predictable after going off the pill.

PoliSciGirl
Feb 22, 2010
Sorry if this has been talked about a lot, but I tried to do a search and couldn't find anything. My husband and I are TTC and I hardly ever have my period. I probably have 3 periods a year and they last about 2-3 days at most. Is there any chance of conceiving without using clomid? Suggestions welcome. My last BC was implanon which I had two rods put in, one right afte the other, but I've been on BC for about 10 years (I'm 28).

I tried to get my gyno to go more into it, but it seemed as if he has just talked about infertility with a lot of women that he was just absent in the conversation and wasn't too personable.

My husband would rather adopt than have the chance of having two kids.

Thanks in advance! :)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Well, it looks like it's for real. I'm pregnant. Confirmed it with a couple different brands of test. My period isn't even due until tomorrow so it hasn't sunk in yet.

PoliSciGirl posted:

Sorry if this has been talked about a lot, but I tried to do a search and couldn't find anything. My husband and I are TTC and I hardly ever have my period. I probably have 3 periods a year and they last about 2-3 days at most. Is there any chance of conceiving without using clomid? Suggestions welcome. My last BC was implanon which I had two rods put in, one right afte the other, but I've been on BC for about 10 years (I'm 28).

I tried to get my gyno to go more into it, but it seemed as if he has just talked about infertility with a lot of women that he was just absent in the conversation and wasn't too personable.

Have you been evaluated for PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)? It's one of the most common reasons to only have a few periods a year and it's possible that treating it could make it easier for you to get pregnant if you do have it.

The big question is whether you are ovulating on your own or not. If you are, then yes, it's possible you could get pregnant on your own without something like Clomid. If you aren't then it's tougher and medication is more likely to be required.

I would make an appointment with your OB/GYN (it might need to be a new one if your current doc isn't taking it seriously) to discuss the issue and pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility to read in the meantime. Charting may be able to help you figure out if you are ovulating on your own right now (though with only 3 cycles a year it's going to take a long time).

Ceridwen fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 20, 2012

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Congrats Ceridwen!

FengShuiNinja
Aug 18, 2012

Congratulations to all the pregnant ladies! For everyone else who is still trying--I'm rallying for you! Getting pregnant isn't easy for everyone.
-edit-
I've known quite a few people who used IVF or hormonal treatment to conceive. I can ask them if anyone has questions. :)

My Question:

Has anyone ever tried to engage your OB/GYN in a conversation about 'genetic screening' and be completely brushed aside because they thought you came from a 'safe' racial/ethnic background? I had two experiences with this. Once before I was pregnant and once after I was newly pregnant.

Me: So, genetic screening sounds like a good idea. How do I do that?
Doctor: What is your race/ethnicity?
Me: I'm Asian.
Doctor: Oh, you're fine!

So I went to a different doctor. Same deal.

Now, after I have gotten an abnormal ultrasound, I'm being referred to a genetic councilor. What happened to preventative medicine? I should have been more forceful and demanded genetic testing since this baby is so mixed race because my husband is everything except Asian and Pacific Islander. Lesson--don't be complacent. :doh:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

PoliSciGirl posted:

Were your periods normal before you went on BC? The pill pretty much stopped my periods (was on it aged 16-28), then when I came off it, I had really long menstrual cycles. I was only having a period every couple of months and they were very short. My doctor gave me a 5-day course of tablets that kickstarted my period. I had a massive, miserable bleed, then got pregnant about a month later. I really wish I could remember what it was called. But yeah, Clomid is pretty drastic and there are probably many things to try before then.

Congrats to all you pregnant goons!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FengShuiNinja posted:

My Question:

Has anyone ever tried to engage your OB/GYN in a conversation about 'genetic screening' and be completely brushed aside because they thought you came from a 'safe' racial/ethnic background? I had two experiences with this. Once before I was pregnant and once after I was newly pregnant.

Me: So, genetic screening sounds like a good idea. How do I do that?
Doctor: What is your race/ethnicity?
Me: I'm Asian.
Doctor: Oh, you're fine!

So I went to a different doctor. Same deal.

Now, after I have gotten an abnormal ultrasound, I'm being referred to a genetic councilor. What happened to preventative medicine? I should have been more forceful and demanded genetic testing since this baby is so mixed race because my husband is everything except Asian and Pacific Islander. Lesson--don't be complacent. :doh:

I think a lot of the ways they have to do genetic screening can bring a chance of miscarriage. It could also be an insurance issue where insurance companies won't cover a procedure unless its medically necessary. Hell, some insurance companies won't cover routine ultrasounds unless something comes back abnormal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FengShuiNinja
Aug 18, 2012

Hi there, Alterian! Thanks for bringing up some important points. :)

The issue wasn't insurance coverage. My insurance is actually pretty good and covers genetic screening. Insurance is important to point out because many people in the United States are either uninsured or their insurance does not cover certain tests.

I've heard of tests such as amniocentesis causing miscarriages. Running the risk of a miscarriage without other evidence is definitely what folks want to avoid.

Some forms of genetic screening can be done through a blood test and that is pretty much all I wanted at the time. For two reasons: 1) I'm a bi-racial (Korean+White) a in-country adopted person. 2) My husband is multiracial as well. He can fill up almost all the boxes on the U.S. Census form. We wanted to see what genetic screening was available through blood tests. We realize that some genetic screening is done by gathering information from family trees. This is great when you have information, but sucks when you're adopted because we tried to do it this way and I was "Duurrr...I dunno. Closed adoption. Hurray for information."

Long whine short: I just wanted a blood test or any other non-invasive test. Being dismissively told "No, you're fine." rubs me the wrong way. The doctors could have alerted me about lack of coverage or if a test was too risky, but chose to brush me aside. I used to work in healthcare and took care of patients. I never treated my clients that way so that is why the doctors' attitude toward a patent's concerns sticks in my craw.

I'm getting another ultrasound and will be seen by a genetic councilor. All the OB/GYN would tell me was there is something wrong with my kid's kidneys. I trained and did an internship as a dialysis technician, so I am somewhat familiar with kidney function. The doctor referred to a 'polycystic kidney' and I wonder if she meant Polycystic Kidney Disease or if there is just one or two random fluid filled cysts. I'll just have to see what the other doctors have to say on Tuesday.

Sorry if this turned into a bit of a healthcare rant. I've been dealing with this all week. I've read through this thread and haven't seen any posts related to genetic screening. Maybe I missed them? If anyone else has new/updated genetic screening stories you have encountered, please share. :)

• Locked thread