Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tamriilin
Dec 29, 2008

House was on this page when he got that annoying "I'm such a genius" look.

Fraction posted:

Are the images breaking the tables? They're resized to imgur's large, not full size :psyduck:

Huh. I guess it's just me then, sorry :colbert:

Super nice collar though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Fraction posted:

Hurr posted:

Trust me i did my research probs over a weeks worth of reading lol. Im tottaly ready to care for a baby and make it my baby lol.

Wow, an entire week of researching :allears:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Asstro Van posted:

Wow, an entire week of researching :allears:

Maybe they could have spent that week learning how capitalization works and improving their spelling, but maybe I expect too much.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

wtftastic posted:

Maybe they could have spent that week learning how capitalization works and improving their spelling, but maybe I expect too much.

The best thing is, they are 17 years old.

Yep.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Superconsndar posted:

They're fine until a few days before weaning age and then they bloat and dehydrate and die half the time lmao

I was gonna say; if they're anything like baby rabbits they will most likely end up aspirating formula then dying of pneumonia :buddy:

Also;

Trust me i did my research probs over a weeks worth of reading lol. Im tottaly ready to care for a baby and make it my baby lol.

this is the best thing i have read all week, all month mayhap

notsoape fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 20, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fraction posted:

The best thing is, they are 17 years old.

Yep.

Jesus.

How the gently caress did they get to that age without being able to communicate in an effective and correct manner.

also lol at the idea of a 17 year old doing "research".

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 20, 2012

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Oh, the facebook group about the kennel fire have found the post I made

Did you know that our 'facebook page' is 'awful' :)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

notsoape posted:

Uh do they mean here on SA?

Are they kind of confused by this internet thing?

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

wtftastic posted:

Uh do they mean here on SA?

Are they kind of confused by this internet thing?

dogladies.txt

Our 'facebook page' is also 'upsetting' ftr.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

notsoape posted:

Oh, the facebook group about the kennel fire

Fires get facebook pages now?

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Asstro Van posted:

Fires get facebook pages now?

There are 7500 members

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

notsoape posted:

dogladies.txt

Our 'facebook page' is also 'upsetting' ftr.

Uh how. Are we not supportive enough or something? What the gently caress do they want?

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
You know that category of being middle aged when you are not a mom, not yet a grandmom? That is the showdog ~fancy~.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

wtftastic posted:

Uh how. Are we not supportive enough or something? What the gently caress do they want?

To be fair, I literally said the situation was hilarious

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

notsoape posted:

You know that category of being middle aged when you are not a mom, not yet a grandmom? That is the showdog ~fancy~.

I need to tell my dad that.

One of his dogs finished her championship this weekend, so I imagine he's pretty familiar with that age group.

notsoape posted:

To be fair, I literally said the situation was hilarious

Well given all the shady stuff going on it's pretty suspicious and some of whats going on around it is funny.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
K I actually shut down the thread because really I don't want to a) upset or b) incur the wrath of dogladies :tinfoil:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

notsoape posted:

K I actually shut down the thread because really I don't want to a) upset or b) incur the wrath of dogladies :tinfoil:

Actually, I wanted to ask something in that thread but never got around to it. I think the article said one (or more) of the dogs had been there for 18 months. If I'm even remembering correctly, is something like that common? I get that show people may have lots of dogs, but it seems dumb to own a pet you never have around, even if it is only a trophy dog.

e: I would love for the dogladies to pay $10 to sign up so they can berate us. That always works out so well for people.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

notsoape posted:

this is the best thing i have read all week, all month mayhap

hey research is hard, I'd like to see you do probs over a weeks worth of reading and then make a mouse your baby :mad:

wtftastic posted:

Jesus.

How the gently caress did they get to that age without being able to communicate in an effective and correct manner.

I dunno, dropped on their head as a child? Or perhaps they were raised by someone who did over a weeks worth of reading (lol)

e:
Aw I missed the kennel fire thread :saddowns:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wtftastic posted:

also lol at the idea of a 17 year old doing "research".

That's not really fair. I'm sure some of us were really, honestly researching about poo poo when we were 17 (it was probably all about animals). Right? :ohdear:

On the other hand, this kid hasn't researched so much as an english book past 2nd grade so yeah, lol.

At the same time I'm actually kind of confused. Why the hell do you need to cull the others after taking two out of the nest? Like, I don't give a poo poo because it's mice and I've culled plenty myself but is this something that's actually recommended by these nuts?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

At the same time I'm actually kind of confused. Why the hell do you need to cull the others after taking two out of the nest? Like, I don't give a poo poo because it's mice and I've culled plenty myself but is this something that's actually recommended by these nuts?

Because Highlander.

That counts as research, right?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I didn't cap the whole ad but have a snippet of a CL post:

quote:

He is not chipped, as we have researched chipping, amd found it can lead to canine and feline cancers.

Also when I was 17 I was lurking this forum so that counts, right?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's not really fair. I'm sure some of us were really, honestly researching about poo poo when we were 17 (it was probably all about animals). Right? :ohdear:

On the other hand, this kid hasn't researched so much as an english book past 2nd grade so yeah, lol.

I casually lurk mouse forums since I'm trying to learn color genetics to fuel my BYBing, and they seem to be way more laid back than rat ladies, especially about culling. The consensus seems to be that mice are such crappy mothers and large litters stress them out so much that it's better to cull litters down to a manageable size, the smaller the better. Usually they let colors and markings come in and then cull down to the 3 or 4 they want to keep.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I would think that culling the whole litter would make the mother mouse "depressed" and "rob her of the experience of being a mother" and all the other stuff people use to justify breeding in the first place, wouldn't it? Or does the mother mouse not matter because she and this high school kid don't have a ~special bond~ :rolleyes:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hey, Skizzles, how much are you charging? I think I missed it. Gotta make my husband budget for it, hahaha. We're poor...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I woke up to feeling eyes on me this morning. This is why:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fraction posted:

Hey look what arrived today!!! :haw:

It came so quickly, and I love it :3: I'm going to keep it for when we do Special Things so it doesn't get filthy.

Omg I'm so glad it fits, it looks lovely on her! :neckbeard:

WolfensteinBag posted:

Hey, Skizzles, how much are you charging? I think I missed it. Gotta make my husband budget for it, hahaha. We're poor...

Boy do I know the feeling. I give big discounts when I try new things, so since yours would be my first martingale, it would be pretty cheap. Plus I am a super thrifty shopper. :ninja: They want $6 for a metal buckle at the craft store? LOL gently caress that, I just go buy belts from Goodwill for $1.50 and take the buckle off (like I did for Lola's collar). Saves a ton of money and I have belts to make collars out of later if I want.

I'll message you. :)

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

My god all these posts about handfeeding mice and tiny mammals make me realise how comparatively easy handfeeding birds are. :stare:

^^Well yeah DIYing collars make sense, they're basically tiny belts, big colla is just ripping you off man. :colbert:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

notsoape posted:

Also, I wonder how confused they were by "Penis Land," assuming they noticed.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

RazorBunny posted:

I would think that culling the whole litter would make the mother mouse "depressed" and "rob her of the experience of being a mother" and all the other stuff people use to justify breeding in the first place, wouldn't it?

The experience of eating them all herself maybe

I was running my water bottles through the dishwasher on Saturday because they were kinda gross. This takes about an hour tops. In that time, I watched one of my mice go to where her water bottle normally is and sniff around. When she couldn't find it, she started running and sniffing everywhere, prob looking for water, and kept returning to the spot where it should be. I didn't want to keep her waiting because they freak out pretty quickly if they can't find food/water, so I got up to go pull a bottle out of the dishwasher, finish cleaning it by hand, and give it to her right then.

In the 3 minutes this took, I returned to find her halfway through eating one of her week old babies. Most of it was already gone. She had been without water for less than 30 minutes. I have no idea how mice survive to weaning age in the wild.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

The experience of eating them all herself maybe

I was running my water bottles through the dishwasher on Saturday because they were kinda gross. This takes about an hour tops. In that time, I watched one of my mice go to where her water bottle normally is and sniff around. When she couldn't find it, she started running and sniffing everywhere, prob looking for water, and kept returning to the spot where it should be. I didn't want to keep her waiting because they freak out pretty quickly if they can't find food/water, so I got up to go pull a bottle out of the dishwasher, finish cleaning it by hand, and give it to her right then.

In the 3 minutes this took, I returned to find her halfway through eating one of her week old babies. Most of it was already gone. She had been without water for less than 30 minutes. I have no idea how mice survive to weaning age in the wild.

"Welp I better just pop out 30 liters of 10 babies each, maybe like 5 will make it!"

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Skizzles posted:

Omg I'm so glad it fits, it looks lovely on her! :neckbeard:

It looks even better in the sunshine! :haw:

I had to move the d-ring closer to the buckle though (second pic onwards shows it), since Lola is a retard and kept pulling at such an angle that it kept slipping out of the ring and annoying me. After I moved it it didn't slip out once, and so far it's been on a two hour walk. I'm sure Lola felt very pretty :3:

Superconsndar posted:

The moral to this story is, mice are loving retarded

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

I have no idea how mice survive to weaning age in the wild.

When I volunteered with lab mice (only for a few months to see if I liked it as a job) we used C57CL/6 mice in our breeding colony because they're very good mothers. I think we had 4 litters of 10-12 when I left with 4 more on the way and none eaten. And this was the first litter for the whole group. I'd say wild mice are either more like C57s or they just have enough litters that the better ones make up for the idiot ones.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Super maybe your parents are just the most passive agressive people on earth and hate you and your mean dog and freak dog and came up with the puppy plot to force you to move out. :catstare:

Fraction I was about the harp you for sun pics of Lola's new collar. :3: It's great. I also never knew she had a spotty ear because I am dumb and your avatar never clued me in somehow.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Serella posted:

Actually, I wanted to ask something in that thread but never got around to it. I think the article said one (or more) of the dogs had been there for 18 months. If I'm even remembering correctly, is something like that common? I get that show people may have lots of dogs, but it seems dumb to own a pet you never have around, even if it is only a trophy dog.

It is pretty rare in the UK and Ireland, but more common in the USA. It's basically for people who don't have the time to 'special'/'campaign' their show dogs across the US or Europe or whatnot, so they pay a pro-handler $$$ to do it and take care of all the grooming, training, conditioning etc. Pro-handlers also have way more weight in the ring, so for people who want their dogs to be 'winningest' (that's apparently a real word, who knew) its pretty important that they're shown by the pros. I can't imagine sending a dog of mine away for one month let alone eighteen, but different strokes etc.

Super, your posts in the fire thread were also 'sinister' and 'SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!', jsyk. :).

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

notsoape posted:

It is pretty rare in the UK and Ireland, but more common in the USA. It's basically for people who don't have the time to 'special'/'campaign' their show dogs across the US or Europe or whatnot, so they pay a pro-handler $$$ to do it and take care of all the grooming, training, conditioning etc. Pro-handlers also have way more weight in the ring, so for people who want their dogs to be 'winningest' (that's apparently a real word, who knew) its pretty important that they're shown by the pros. I can't imagine sending a dog of mine away for one month let alone eighteen, but different strokes etc.

So basically, they want all the glory and titles for putting two dogs together to gently caress, then foisting the results off on someone else to make the winning happen. That is certainly a thing.

:black101: BURN THE SHOW RING TO THE GROUND :black101:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

notsoape posted:

This is exactly what happened to my dog and the reason why he is the way he is.

gently caress YEAH :downs:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

notsoape posted:

Super, your posts in the fire thread were also 'sinister' and 'SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!', jsyk. :).

Some of the handling stuff makes sense to me- I mean, if you own the dog and show it, and sometimes you'd like to to go to shows that you can't attend due to work or other obligations, then yeah it would make sense to have someone sensible and trained handle the dog for those events. On the other hand, if you just want to do this as a hobby or you have the time and ability to do so, I totally think you should show your own dogs. My dad shows his two and travels to shows several states away to do so and he has a full time job. For him its his hobby and something he does to bond with his dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

The moral to this story is, mice are loving retarded

They are. God they are. But I never really had a lot of pup cannibalization the last time I did this. If one went after the pups I just murdered it and let Balen throw it around or whatever. He fuckin' loved chase the dead mouse when he was younger. Maybe I managed to breed it out or whatever. I dunno. I'm hoping it goes well. The only reason I'm doing it at all is because a local pet store ran out of room for tanks and asked if I wanted discounts for housing some breeders :3: Since I get practically everything there, even the dog food, it works out pretty nice.

And like Super I get to BYB cracked crazy color stuff which I've always enjoyed.

On showing/handling: I think it comes in handy if you're showing more than one dog at the same time, too. Still, I'd rather handle my own dogs if I'm going to show them.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Yeah I think there's a distinction to be made - using a pro-handler sometimes because you're busy is one thing, actually sending a dog to live away from you for a year and a half ao they can chase titles is another. I'm sure the dogs adjust just fine but - at some point a pet stops becoming a pet, in my opinion at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Kerfuffle posted:

Fraction I was about the harp you for sun pics of Lola's new collar. :3: It's great. I also never knew she had a spotty ear because I am dumb and your avatar never clued me in somehow.

Lmao yeah I love her ears :3: and the new collar! I don't think the cam quite does it justice, it's super shiny.

• Locked thread