Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Don't gently caress with me Rockstar! I saw that jet fighter.

I better be drat able to fly that drat thing whenever I want. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Shindragon posted:

Don't gently caress with me Rockstar! I saw that jet fighter.

I better be drat able to fly that drat thing whenever I want. :colbert:

The main cahracter is sitting in it so I am quite sure you can.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

ash with a five posted:

Is the october mark on the numberplate likely to mean anything? Would be awesome if it comes out in 2 months :D

That's a vehicle registration sticker. Each year is a different color and the month it's due for renewal is displayed. That way the police can tell if you renewed it when you were supposed to.

Apologies if everyone already knew that, but different places do it in different ways. I don't suspect the meaning is any deeper than making the plates look more authentic. Maybe there's a registration renewal mini-game.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Sir Xiphos posted:

Also, look down the bottom where the screens are:

http://www.rockstargames.com/V/

Three blank spots so expect 3 more fairly soon I reckon.

Rockstar commented on the post that more screenshots would be coming this week.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
In the past wasn't the Cheetah based loosely on the Ferrari Testarossa? Any idea what that new one is inspired by? The overall shape seems a little more like the new Viper, but the Banshee is the one that's always viper-esque so I dunno. Man I'm so psyched.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

davebo posted:

In the past wasn't the Cheetah based loosely on the Ferrari Testarossa? Any idea what that new one is inspired by? The overall shape seems a little more like the new Viper, but the Banshee is the one that's always viper-esque so I dunno. Man I'm so psyched.

I would imagine the Bugatti Veyron could possibly be a parody somewhere?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The rear end of it seems mostly based on the Koenigsegg Agera. The front wheel arches with the vents are something else but I can't remember what.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I am hyped about this game because the license plate has an actual unique plate number again and registration stickers. Also, return of the Cheetah. :woop:

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

two more screens are up on the official site!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Miguel Prado posted:

two more screens are up on the official site!

No?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

oops, my bad! I had not seen the helicopter nor the one by the lake/beach.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

simosimo posted:

I don't know if this keeping us in the dark is good, I still think San Andreas has the best hype [and delivery!], I really hope they blow our socks off with 5, but I am forever sceptical.
What hype DID San Andreas have? I recall a tiny bit 3's hype but I didn't follow any 3-era pre-release stuff at all beyond that. Same style as 4's?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ash with a five posted:

Is the october mark on the numberplate likely to mean anything? Would be awesome if it comes out in 2 months :D
Oh jesus, this bullshit again?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Croccers posted:

What hype DID San Andreas have? I recall a tiny bit 3's hype but I didn't follow any 3-era pre-release stuff at all beyond that. Same style as 4's?

Trailers, websites, and a cool interactive flash map thing on the website, which is still up- http://www.rockstargames.com/sanandreas/
I remember poring over every detail on that damned map while waiting for SA to come out, it would be really cool if they did it again for GTAV.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Croccers posted:

When everyone found out SA was a state everyone went mental, especially having three cities. Also the extra junk like planes, and pretty much all of the content to boot. The rpg like elements, literally...everything. It was the game that kept on giving, literally. To many [including me] it was the pinnacle of GTA. Not to shoot down 4 [and dredge up the endless argument of SA v 4] as that game was also fantastic, there's no denying the content was lacking, which was entirely understandable due to the new tech and etc. I hope that 5 is once again feature rich!

It's not just rose tinted vision, SA really was amazing. It's amazing how much I still play [MTA]. I know that map inside out.

edit: ^^ Pretty much, just every detail was a markout moment.

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 20, 2012

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh jesus, this bullshit again?

Huh?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Referring to every number featured in a screenshot as 'omg R* secret release date! What does it mean?' :)

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

simosimo posted:

When everyone found out SA was a state everyone went mental, especially having three cities. Also the extra junk like planes, and pretty much all of the content to boot. The rpg like elements, literally...everything. It was the game that kept on giving, literally. To many [including me] it was the pinnacle of GTA. Not to shoot down 4 [and dredge up the endless argument of SA v 4] as that game was also fantastic, there's no denying the content was lacking, which was entirely understandable due to the new tech and etc. I hope that 5 is once again feature rich!

It's not just rose tinted vision, SA really was amazing. It's amazing how much I still play [MTA]. I know that map inside out.

edit: ^^ Pretty much, just every detail was a markout moment.

I have high hopes, it was something like four years between GTA3 and SA and it has been about the same amount of time since GTAIV. I'm hoping they unload a feature-rich bukkake on our faces with GTAV and just blow every other sandbox game out of the water. They always aim high and succeed, even with the issues of GTAIV they never really let us down, the technology of it at the time was amazing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Spergs pore over screenshots looking for any possible hint as to a release date and come up with the most ridiculous theories. I don't think I've ever seen one be right.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Spergs pore over screenshots looking for any possible hint as to a release date and come up with the most ridiculous theories. I don't think I've ever seen one be right.

Oh I didn't realise. I was just looking at the pic and wondered if it had any significance :smith:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ash with a five posted:

Oh I didn't realise. I was just looking at the pic and wondered if it had any significance :smith:
It's cool. Yours was just an off-hand comment out of excitement, but I've seen pages of theory-crafting on hypothetical release dates based on screenshots and it never pans out to be anything fruitful.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also your av owns, so rock on fellow GTA V-excitement-haver.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I remember being a :smug: high school kid scoffing at the San Andreas hype and everyone who was buying into it, thinking it couldn't possibly be anywhere near as great as everyone is making it out to be and that it would be completely impossible for the PS2 hardware to handle such a game. Vice City was already pushing it to its limits, so how in the hell would San Andreas be able to have all those features and such a big game world? At least the graphics would have to look like poo poo, and your cars would probably be disappearing left and right even more than in the previous games, and god knows what... :downs:

Naturally, I ended up buying the game a day after the launch (having seen it at a friend's house the previous night) and putting something like 100 hours into it before 2004 was over.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

davebo posted:

Cars were different depending on the era. Some cars were usually about the same, the sentinel was usually some kind of BMW. But The banshee was a viper in III and a corvette in VC.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The bike shot is glorious.

I cannot wait to go on police chases on a goddamn bike.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Bicycles + Euphoria = :allears:

Glad to see jets are back, too. I guess it says something about the scope of the game world that you can zoom around in a jet; something the size of Liberty City would feel pretty tiny if you had a sound-barrier breaking jet.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Euphoria physics mixed with bike riding is going to be glorious. :allears:

efb

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Cars were different depending on the era. Some cars were usually about the same, the sentinel was usually some kind of BMW. But The banshee was a viper in III and a corvette in VC.

Wow I completely forgot about that one. It's weird because it was Vipery in 3, san andreas and 4. Since vehicles aren't really location-specific, I wouldn't be against seeing some of the same (just graphically updated) cars in newer ones. If gta5 is 2012, it shouldn't be uncommon to see cars from 2008 driving around, and occasionally a car from Vice City era still on the road if it's been well-maintained.

I did like the Corvette being the Coquette in this one. San Andreas didn't really have a corvette inspired car I don't think? What I really liked was that real-car mod for gta4, but it tends to crash my game in parts of the middle island.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm liking V's pr campaign. I like how right at the outset R* is like,"Look what's back! WE'RE SORRY FOR IV!" or something.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Glad to see jets are back, too. I guess it says something about the scope of the game world that you can zoom around in a jet; something the size of Liberty City would feel pretty tiny if you had a sound-barrier breaking jet.
We knew this already, though. The original trailer showed multiple jets (including this fighter aircraft) and R* made comments in their last Q&A that this game world was specifically designed to be large enough for them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly though with that prominent aircraft getting a parachute needs to be much less complicated than having to pick one up at a specific location. At the very least you should automatically get one whenever you enter a plane or helicopter. A Just Cause/Saints Row style never-leave-home-without-it chute would of course be appreciated for when you come across a building, too.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

My Lovely Horse posted:

A Just Cause/Saints Row style never-leave-home-without-it chute would of course be appreciated for when you come across a building, too.

Definitely, i'm also hoping for a SR style garage system too. Modding cars/Collecting cars in GTA has always been pointless because if you lost your car [destroyed/despawned] that was it for your collection! SR had it so it stored the cars, and if they were destroyed, you paid a free to respawn it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

simosimo posted:

Definitely, i'm also hoping for a SR style garage system too. Modding cars/Collecting cars in GTA has always been pointless because if you lost your car [destroyed/despawned] that was it for your collection! SR had it so it stored the cars, and if they were destroyed, you paid a free to respawn it.

Seriously, Rockstar. Do this. I'm tired of this stupid "a car hit my car out of its parking space and now it's lost forever" bullcrap.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

My Lovely Horse posted:

Honestly though with that prominent aircraft getting a parachute needs to be much less complicated than having to pick one up at a specific location. At the very least you should automatically get one whenever you enter a plane or helicopter. A Just Cause/Saints Row style never-leave-home-without-it chute would of course be appreciated for when you come across a building, too.

In San Andreas once you have your pilots license bailing from a plane gives you a parachute. Unfortunately bailing from choppers doesn't, but hopefully they do something like that again.

Along with being able to properly own cars and recover them when they're destroyed, I really want to see Saints Row style clothing system. It's such a massive pain in the rear end to change how you look in GTA, which probably stops people from doing it very much. The SR combination of quickly-moving menus and savable outfits is great.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

K8.0 posted:

Along with being able to properly own cars and recover them when they're destroyed, I really want to see Saints Row style clothing system. It's such a massive pain in the rear end to change how you look in GTA, which probably stops people from doing it very much. The SR combination of quickly-moving menus and savable outfits is great.

It takes literally 10 minutes to try on maybe 3 outfits in GTAIV. I somehow thought SA was faster in that department? Maybe not?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 20, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

K8.0 posted:

In San Andreas once you have your pilots license bailing from a plane gives you a parachute. Unfortunately bailing from choppers doesn't, but hopefully they do something like that again.
I had no idea! And I've even been playing SA over the last few weeks and did the flying school already. Very nice.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Himuro posted:

Seriously, Rockstar. Do this. I'm tired of this stupid "a car hit my car out of its parking space and now it's lost forever" bullcrap.

I don't know, while the Saints Row garages were useful, being able to store a million cars in your starting hovel felt a bit too gamey for my liking. But yeah gently caress parking spaces, I want garages. And the game should keep track of 'your' car (the last one you used) on the map like LA Noire does. And recovering destroyed cars seems like a must.

Himuro posted:

It takes literally 10 minutes to try on maybe 3 outfits in GTAIV. I somehow thought SA was faster in that department? Maybe not?

I've been playing some SA recently, it's actually significantly slower than in GTAIV. At least in GTAIV you don't need to wait for a loading prompt and an animation of CJ emerging from/going into the wardrobe every time you change a single item of clothing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't see anything wrong in it being too "gamey". Get a limited edition car? It's a game. Well, guess what. Basic psychology suggests you are not going to drive that fucker in the chance you lose it. That makes the game less fun, and that's what we're all in for, right?

It seems odd that a game about stealing cars doesn't allow you to stockpile said cars. So I fail to see how it's too gamey.

And speaking of cars, bring back bullet proof, fireproof, and whatever proof vehicles! I want a bulletproof Sentinel!

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 20, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah my GTA garages have always been a situation of cars I thought were awesome that I could never drive. Always hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Himuro posted:

I don't see anything wrong in it being too "gamey". Get a limited edition car? It's a game. Well, guess what. Basic psychology suggests you are not going to drive that fucker in the chance you lose it. That makes the game less fun, and that's what we're all in for, right?

It seems odd that a game about stealing cars doesn't allow you to stockpile said cars. So I fail to see how it's too gamey.

And speaking of cars, bring back bullet proof, fireproof, and whatever proof vehicles! I want a bulletproof Sentinel!

For a game like this, that goes to so much effort to create a detailed world, I'd rather wander around a garage full of my cars rather than look at a menu like in Saints Row. Also storing as many cars as you like in a tiny garage means getting bigger properties later on with big garages doesn't give you any vehicle benefit. That's what I mean by it being gamey.

I agree that a way to repair destroyed cars would be great though.

• Locked thread