Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Here is sweet Beezly giving me a disapproving look. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
Flash is finally dependable off-leash in open areas. Who says Ridgebacks have crappy recall? Has made my work much easier!

Kia's too old to care about being off or on leash, haha

They were doing this thing where'd they'd run ahead of me, hide in the shade, wait for me to pass, then run back ahead into whatever shade they could find. True dogs of the savanna.

Alulim
Apr 2, 2010
Here's a video of my newfie as a pupster eating some ice cream. :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LEuAA2RCcw

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
The look on the dog's face in the beginning was great.

"This is sooo good. And nobody is stopping me? No 'NO NO BAD DOG! STOP EATING MY ICE CREAM!'? Well excuse me while I go to town on this poo poo."

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe

Not the best image, but this is Makoto, my small 75 lb Yellow Lab.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate

Alulim posted:

Here's a video of my newfie as a pupster eating some ice cream. :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LEuAA2RCcw

So cute. :3: And that E-Z Walk harness is a miracle, isn't it??

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Windy posted:

I love Newfs at this age, they feel like baby alpacas...so soft! I can't help but run my hands through the fur of all the baby newfs at our club meetings. How long did it take for you to find a breeder? I've finally found one that will communicate with me regularly after over a year of searching. There are puppies due this week, and hopefully I've made it onto the list because I'm tired of waiting :(

You need to get one because rabbit and newfie pictures. Good luck!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Horrible mobile phone pics of our poor blind Tibetan Mastiff, Turre:

65 kg of lazy dog, sleeping peacefully.

As the days get colder, he loves to sleep on our sofa (mind you, when he arrived that sofa was supposed to be the only thing he wasn't allowed to sleep on!)

uptown
May 16, 2009

Windy posted:

I love Newfs at this age, they feel like baby alpacas...so soft! I can't help but run my hands through the fur of all the baby newfs at our club meetings. How long did it take for you to find a breeder? I've finally found one that will communicate with me regularly after over a year of searching. There are puppies due this week, and hopefully I've made it onto the list because I'm tired of waiting :(

I found one fairly easily, there are two in my province and luckily right when I was in a position to get a dog, there he was, waiting for me to spend all my food money on him. He was $2000, which was a ton of money for me as a student. Worth it, though :3:

Here's Shanti last weekend, in comparison again to my Golden Retriever... I'll post a few other pics tonight. He's almost the same height as Aussie, and he's only 4 months old. Holy crap, my baby is growing so fast. He has this adorable grin and a hilarious run. I love to call him when he's in the yard so he runs at me with his big doofy feet and his giant ears flapping. Gah. He helps me with my depression issues, too. He gets me out of bed at 7 or 8 (rather than me sleeping all day), I walk him and get a bit of sunshine even on my bad days.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I've posted about this dog before, so this is an update.

Quick backstory: My mom joined a local Great Dane rescue group when she retired last year, and this is a dog we are currently fostering & probably adopting.

This is Chaos, on 7/2/12, when he was dropped off:

This is about 4 days ago:

Kinda cool what you can get when you take care of a dog.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
He looks wonderful!! I hope you guys keep him :3:

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

MREBoy posted:

Kinda cool what you can get when you take care of a dog.

Chaos is a 1000x better looking now! You and your mom are great :)

I need 9 Shantis. I will no longer require a bed and can instead bury myself in soft giant puppy fur :3:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shebrew posted:

I need 9 Shantis. I will no longer require a bed and can instead bury myself in soft giant puppy fur :3:

Most people would still choose a bed - where the upfront costs are similar, the feeding costs for 9 newfies would quickly make the bed the cheaper option.

Also, beds don't poop. With one newfie this is already a concern, with nine newfies this is a massive concern.

(He's adorable. And if you aren't careful, you'll soon have a giant lapdog.)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Hey does anyone have any EXTREMELY picky dogs? We're trying to get Sunday to put on a few pounds because you can see the knobs in her spine, but she is the pickiest loving eater EVER. She just does not care about food, she never seems to be hungry. We've tried what feels like everything to get her to put on weight. Currently she's getting two cups of dehydrated raw food (Dried-N-Alive) mixed with either canned food or raw meat depending on what we have available, plus a high calorie liquid supplement (Dyne), and a raw egg mixed in with a little bit of shredded cheese on top (she LOVES cheese). She gets this twice a day and usually only eats half. The biggest problem is that she's only interested in a particular food that she at first seems to adore for about 3 days, then she literally turns her nose up at it and refuses to touch it ever ever again.

Why is my dog being such a bitch :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Maybe you could try's Super's calorie dog treat things? I'll try to find the post somewhere.

e: pet nurtrition megathread yayy

quote:

Superconsndar posted:

10 pounds cheap-rear end ground beef
10 eggs with shells
1 big huge box of total, crushed
1 pound of ground flax
1 pound of coconut oil (I heat it a bit since it's usually too solid to mix at room temperature)
1 pound wheat germ
1 container of Solid Gold Seameal. (If you can't find this, or if it's too expensive, you can substitute with about a pound of kelp powder.)
1 jar of blackstrap molasses (or just plain unsulfured molasses, if you can't find blackstrap)
10 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin

Mix all that up in a big tub, form into fist-size (or smaller if you have a small dog) balls, and freeze. I've tried a ton of satin ball recipe variations over the years and that's the recipe I've finally settled on, it seems to work the best. It's the only thing I'll feed with wheat in it, because that poo poo works.

I usually feed one ball per-dog about twice a week in addition to their regular food. That's just for general supplementation though, you'd want to feed more for weight gain probably.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 27, 2012

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I've always meant to ask about that - is the beef cooked or raw? I assume cooked, but...

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I've tried the satin balls before, but I've never really noticed a difference? She does love the poo poo out of them though, so maybe I'll just try feeding her more.

Also Siochain, the beef is raw.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Have you had a blood panel run on her lately to make sure it's not some sort of imbalance? You said she's nuts about cheese, but the not really caring about food thing at all is pretty weird in danes. Yeah, they're finicky but if you throw a block of cheese at her, will she gobble it down like no tomorrow or will she just kinda gnaw on it because it's there?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If there's nothing medically wrong with her you may just have to train her to eat like you would train her to do anything else. A good method is outlined here but I would add when she is cleaning her dish you toss in a piece of cheese or satin ball or whatever she loves as a reward for eating her normal meal. If you keep changing her food whenever she acts bored she'll learn that if she is fussy she gets to try a new kibble or whatever. I would pick something and really stick with it for a while. Also, is that dehydrated sort of a slop when rehydrated? I feed my dog honest kitchen sometimes and it turns into a mush. I've heard a lot of dogs get sick of the texture after a while and prefer something with more of a crunch.

vvv My 80 lb dog eats 2 cups a day, don't get hung up on amounts too much. Some young dogs are just bony and awkward for years until their metabolism slows down. vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 27, 2012

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah I'll see if we can get her into the vet to get some tests done. It's like impossible to get out of the vet for less than $500 but I want to make sure my baby is okay. :(

She loves to eat the food she loves, if that makes sense. She loves people food, which was probably part of the problem, so we stopped giving her table scraps about two months ago.

The Dried-N-Alive stuff is actually pretty cool, it doesn't turn to mush, it stays solid but soft and she was CRAZY about it at first. When we tried just not putting up with her poo poo and sticking with one thing no matter what, she went days without eating until I gave in. Should I try it again and keep with it? I know you're not supposed to drastically decrease food for a cat, not sure if it's the same for dogs.

We've been trying to pack as many calories into as small of an amount of food as possible, since eating 2-4 cups a day for a 100lb dog seems pretty crazy.

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
Jesus Christ, 500 dollars? Do they stick a golden, diamond-encrusted thermometer up your dog's asses? I had an abscess removed from my dog's head (so she had to go under and stuff) and the surgery cost about 320 total.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

vacation in merica posted:

Jesus Christ, 500 dollars? Do they stick a golden, diamond-encrusted thermometer up your dog's asses? I had an abscess removed from my dog's head (so she had to go under and stuff) and the surgery cost about 320 total.

Everything is inflated because I'm in Los Angeles, it blows :( I took my cat in last week for them to basically just tell me that he had fleas, and it cost $350.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you SO MUCH for this link. We've seen a decent improvement in just two days. When I took her food away last night after she sniffed it and walked away, she was like, shocked. :lol: She looked like a spoiled little kid who can't believe its mother is finally putting her foot down. She followed me around the house for a few minutes after that just staring at me, it was hilarious. And she was grateful for breakfast this morning, though she only finished maybe 2/3 of it. Still, it's a good first step, and I like your idea of giving her a high value treat like beef or cheese when she finally actually finishes a meal.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Had a hunch. Googled Newfoundland dog yarn. 'Tis a thing.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Had a hunch. Googled Newfoundland dog yarn. 'Tis a thing.

I was just telling someone about spinning dog hair today at a farm tour. They call it "chiengora" and any small batch fiber mill can spin it up for you if are not a big spinner. The hairs need to be a certain length and usually you need at least 3 lbs or else the machines can't deal. Most places recommend you add some merino or other wool to give the yarn more memory and strength. Buying and selling dog hair is illegal though so you have to be careful if you are commissioning someone to make you something with your dog hair.

You probably didn't care that much but there you go!

uptown
May 16, 2009
...Do I want a Shanti sweater? Decisions, decisions...

This dog is WAY too cute. He and Aussie are best of friends.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Buying and selling dog hair is illegal though so you have to be careful if you are commissioning someone to make you something with your dog hair.

I have never heard of this. I mean, I feel like the situation of selling dog hair is ridiculous/funny, but why would they make a law forbidding it?

Edit: wow this is some serious stuff: http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusva3_1_796_128_2.htm

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It was created to prevent people from selling cat and dog fur coats that are often labelled as more expensive furs. There has been some talk about pressuring lawmakers to exclude naturally shed hair but I don't think anyone really cares that much.

Have a big ol' dog that I make felted dog hair beads with regularly.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Pretty sure if someone wants to use the stuff from combing or shearing their own pet to make a sweater that no one would care, even if they were legally obligated or allowed to care.

E: Then again, there's always some nutjob...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So while my pup isn't going anywhere north of maybe 50 lbs (tops, if that), he met a 10 month old Great Dane at the Dog Park/Meet Up last weekend. Her name was Cami and she was just about as sweet as she could be with my 15 week old.

(My dog, Linus, is the black one, duh)

And here he is chasing her.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So can anyone out there give me a ballpark figure as to the average physical size (L x W x H) of a 11 week old Great Dane puppy ? Some people from my mom's rescue apparently have to go grab 5 pups + a mom dog 90 miles from here and they are trying to figure out how to divvy up the critters into 2 cars :cripes: .

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MREBoy posted:

So can anyone out there give me a ballpark figure as to the average physical size (L x W x H) of a 11 week old Great Dane puppy ? Some people from my mom's rescue apparently have to go grab 5 pups + a mom dog 90 miles from here and they are trying to figure out how to divvy up the critters into 2 cars :cripes: .

Depends entirely on how well the pups have been treated. But you could probably pitch a pup in a medium vari kennel (the 29 inch long one) so long as they don't have a huge father or mother or something. So I'd expect somewhere around 29x20x21-ish. Probably 25-30 pounds.

Honestly you'd probably just do best to throw a giant kennel in the back of each car, put mom in one and the pups in the other and go with it assuming the cars will hold them. Let the little guys have a puppy party, might have less of a chance of barfies everywhere.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Mouse update. One year old, about 85 lbs (he had some serious stomach issues for the first month we had him until we figured out that he has a poultry allergy). Definitely mixed with border collie, because boy howdy is he nutso even though he pretends like he's not.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Those freckles are too cute for words. More pictures. :colbert:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Is there some developmental stage just before a dog hits two that manifests as a need to be around the owners or something? Normally Sunday is very independent, and she still is throughout the entire day. She doesn't need to be in the same room with us, doesn't care if we leave, etc. But the past week or so she has been clingy at night-- particularly in the middle of the night. She's always slept on the couch without a problem, but now in the dead middle of the night she's whining and crying to get in the bed with us. We haven't been letting her, but she'll scratch the bedroom door and bark if her heartbreaking whine doesn't work. She doesn't have to go to the bathroom; if you let her out she just stands there. We've considered getting her a bed and setting it up in our bedroom, but I'm not convinced that giving in is the best thing for her in the long run.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? Something like a fear imprint stage or something? She's 21 months old now btw.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Around two years of age is when they hit their third "teenage" phase, as per all the research I've done... She might just be going through a bratty, boundary-testing stage.

I finally bought Shanti his giant crate today. It's hopefully going to be big enough for him as a full-grown dog... It was the biggest they had, and it's big enough for me, him, and a third person right now, so we'll see! I hate not having him crated, there was a short period where we were between crates and so he was sleeping in the living room. He did fine, no destruction or accidents, but I would just worry and stress. I had nightmares about him peeing on the floor. Nightmares!!!

We're going to start PetSmart puppy classes this Saturday. He's a very smart little man, picks things up fast, but I definitely need some guidance from an outside source, as Shanti is my first dog, and I want him to be a good, well-rounded guy. He came to PetSmart with my boyfriend and I today, and he started barking at a man who worked there! Not sure why, and he was fine once the guy came up and petted him, but he just would. not. shut. up. until they met. Can't have that happening!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
uptown, please keep posting about Shanti. Once I can get out of an apartment and into a place with some more space a newfie is high on my priority list. It would be my first dog too, so literally everything you post - from awesome pictures to helpful tips - is of use to me.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
It was Sage's 9th birthday this month, so we went camping and hiking to celebrate. :toot:

Happy birthday, old lady dog!

Where's the trails, dammit!

She's blurry, but she's sweet.

We hiked along the trail to the top of the rocks off in the distance on the right, there.

Tired? Me? I'm not tired.

I'm just resting my face. I don't know why you think I need a nap.

It's kinda bright out, I'm just gonna rest my eyelids a little too...

Dead to the world. :colbert: I have a series of pics of this that scroll like a stop-action video of Ozzie fighting sleep. It's adorable. You can watch his head bob and slowly sink, as his eyes drift shut and his face melts into the armrest :3:

Dirt road time is exciting time! :derp:

Potty break?

POTTY BREAK?!?!?!

Anyway, it was a great weekend, and the dogs had a hoot. They always love to go camping, and Sage is still as spry as she ever was, as long as she's had her morning aspirin. I love my old girl. :allears:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo! Holy poo poo! Komondors (komondorok?) and a Tibetan Mastiff within a page of each other! Those are my favourite breeds! This is literally the best thing that's happened to me all week.

Do your Komondors work, or do you show, or are they pets? Everything I've read about the breed has been along the lines of "This is not a dog to be kept as a pet, ever, ever, oh god they will kill everything you love". But I don't know if that's just to discourage casual dog-owners from getting a moplet and loving it up with bad training. Your dogs are so beautiful, their shirts are so cute I love them :neckbeard:

And I hope the blind Tibetan is okay. :unsmith: I've known dogs that went blind and basically didn't give a gently caress, so hopefully he'll be one of those. He is such a gorgeous big tricolour bear creature. I've wanted a Tibetan since forever, but all the information online is so conflicting ("They're super-friendly! They're dog-aggressive! They love cats! They have a crazy prey drive! They're great with kids! They'll eat your loving family!") so I guess I'll have to track down some RL owners. (Plus I live in a 12 sq. m. apartment, so... some day. Some day. :))

I'm sorry I have nothing to contribute, but this is an amazing thread, all your megadogs are wonderful, please never stop posting photos. I am living vicariously through them.

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Avshalom posted:

Holy poo poo! Holy poo poo! Komondors (komondorok?) and a Tibetan Mastiff within a page of each other! Those are my favourite breeds! This is literally the best thing that's happened to me all week.

Do your Komondors work, or do you show, or are they pets? Everything I've read about the breed has been along the lines of "This is not a dog to be kept as a pet, ever, ever, oh god they will kill everything you love". But I don't know if that's just to discourage casual dog-owners from getting a moplet and loving it up with bad training. Your dogs are so beautiful, their shirts are so cute I love them :neckbeard:

For what little it's worth, I talked to someone at a sheep and wool festival who wanted to get in to breeding komondorok for their original purpose but could not find a breeder who would sell to her to do so. She was an experienced breeder (I think she bred dogues) and komondor breeders would be super excited to co-own with her until she mentioned she wanted to keep to their working roots and have them help guard her sheep then they'd flip out.

If they worked they might not be pretty enough to win dog shows :qq: