Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Zero Dark Thirty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcBjOVKKxh0

Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal dramatize the hunt for Osama bin Laden. Stars Joel Edgerton, Mark Strong, Jessica Chastain, Chris Pratt, Kyle loving Chandler, Mark Duplass (!), and quite a few others you may or may not recognize.

I'd say more but there's...really nothing to add. I'm one of the shocking few around here that thought The Hurt Locker was fantastic, and I don't really mind changing certain details for dramatic effect. I say bring it on.

Whoever is saying "when was the last time you saw Bin Laden!?" sounds just like Aaron Paul and it's very distracting. Also gently caress this movie. There's no reason to make a dramatization of this whatsoever, when an actual well-produced documentary would be not only more entertaining, but also not offensive. Way to go Bigelow.

edit: I resent the implication on the part of this film and its creators that I will somehow be "entertained" by a re-enactment of OBL being shot in the head. Though of course ticket sales will prove me wrong, people are going to flock to this.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When was the last time you saw Bin Laden yo? He's a ghost. Right?

He had to be gone. Bitch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jewmanji posted:

edit: I resent the implication on the part of this film and its creators that I will somehow be "entertained" by a re-enactment of OBL being shot in the head. Though of course ticket sales will prove me wrong, people are going to flock to this.

I'm willing to give Bigelow the benefit of the doubt that this film might have something more to it than just revenge entertainment.

I'm also pretty sure that even if it is a smart movie, most audiences will just go there for the revenge entertainment. You remember how Inglourious Basterds went down, don't you?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I'm willing to give Bigelow the benefit of the doubt that this film might have something more to it than just revenge entertainment.

I'm also pretty sure that even if it is a smart movie, most audiences will just go there for the revenge entertainment. You remember how Inglourious Basterds went down, don't you?

I hope you're right, but I think it's being very generous to call The Hurt Locker subversive. Frankly I thought it was one of the most high-profile pro-war movies to come out in a long time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I hope you're right, but I think it's being very generous to call The Hurt Locker subversive. Frankly I thought it was one of the most high-profile pro-war movies to come out in a long time.

But... Wasn't the entire premise of the movie how war irreparably harms the mind?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

But... Wasn't the entire premise of the movie how war irreparably harms the mind?

Maybe. I didn't find that the movie worked very hard to establish that as tragic, and any possible merit it gained from that pursuit was ultimately sabotaged by being wrapped in a veneer of stylized slow-motion and lovely nu-metal. It could be that Bigelow's penchant for technically impressive film-work got in the way of what she was actually trying to say, but the whole thing felt like a blunt instrument to me, and I find it hard to believe that a two-hour thriller about the hunt for OBL will have time for anything more than shoot-outs and cool looking night-vision.

I mean for god's sake, it's called "Zero Dark Thirty", if that's not supposed to appeal to the Modern Warfare demographic with it's struck-through text I don't know what is. Purely from a writer's standpoint, what story is there to tell in that bit of history? Is it going to be a cautionary tale about the limits of American military might, with a final shot of the twin towers in the background a la Munich, or is it likely just going to be a celebration of our soldiers and their commitment to looking cool while killing folks.

edit: I just went back and looked at some of the reviews for The Hurt Locker, and I feel like I watched a completely different movie. It almost reads as an onion article to see Ebert calling it the second best film of the decade behind Synecdoche New York :psyduck:

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 6, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jewmanji posted:

I mean for god's sake, it's called "Zero Dark Thirty", if that's not supposed to appeal to the Modern Warfare demographic with it's struck-through text I don't know what is. Purely from a writer's standpoint, what story is there to tell in that bit of history? Is it going to be a cautionary tale about the limits of American military might, with a final shot of the twin towers in the background a la Munich, or is it likely just going to be a celebration of our soldiers and their commitment to looking cool while killing folks.

Who cares what it's supposed to be until we finally see the end product. Based on The Hurt Locker, Bigelow isn't exactly non-critical of the military. And how is the blacked-out text being revealed an indication of anything other then a lack of faith in the military industrial complex?

Jewmanji posted:

This movie was in production before Osama Bin Laden was killed, so I doubt it's going to be an enteraining view at OBL taking a round to the head. It may include the raid/death of Bin Laden, but there's obviously going to be more to it. I'm definitely interested in the film, based on the director, subject matter and awesome cast.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So the Red Dawn remake is apparently still a thing.

ET promo of the movie :cripes:

VVVVV Why couldn't it stay shelved...like forever?

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 7, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr.Oblivious posted:

So the Red Dawn remake is apparently still a thing.

ET promo of the movie :cripes:

It's been done for a while. They just shelved it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be a hilarious disaster whatever happens.

What makes MGM's decision on this so funny is that the first Red Dawn wasn't even a huge hit. It was supposed to be, and they hyped up the jingoist angle even more than John Milius intended, but it only really broke even domestically.

Now there's even LESS interest in seeing us fight "commies", they had to change it from the Chinese to North Korea, North Korea is rightly viewed as kind of pathetic and unable to be a true military threat...

It just baffles me that MGM continues to exist. You figure another studio would have bought them out in total by now, so they could just use the brand.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I hear the secret twist ending to "Zero Dark Thirty" is that its actually set after Bin Laden was killed, all the main characters are just really out of the loop and slow on the uptake. All the other characters go along with it because you know, never argue with crazy people carrying guns.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

What makes MGM's decision on this so funny is that the first Red Dawn wasn't even a huge hit. It was supposed to be, and they hyped up the jingoist angle even more than John Milius intended, but it only really broke even domestically.

Now there's even LESS interest in seeing us fight "commies", they had to change it from the Chinese to North Korea, North Korea is rightly viewed as kind of pathetic and unable to be a true military threat...

It just baffles me that MGM continues to exist. You figure another studio would have bought them out in total by now, so they could just use the brand.

Man, I wonder if a character has to hide in a pile of bodies at some point in this version as well...

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Steve Yun posted:

I've read the movie is about a failed mission to kill bin Laden that took place before the 2011 raid. I too really liked "The Hurt Locker", and think even in some pretty narratively weak films, Bigelow can make amazing action setpieces.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

The problem is MGM's library is far too valuable. It keeps the company floating along and inflates the price. Nobody wants to spend the cash to buy the MGM name when the library is worth what it is. I used to work there and saw how much they make by licensing, let's say, Some Like It Hot to Ecuador for ten years.

Plus they don't have an actual working studio and don't even have their tower in Century City any more. They're just a name floating around with a bare bones staff. There's really no benefit to buying them.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

New Cronenberg body-horror flick... though, not the Cronenberg you're thinking of:

http://www.filmjunk.com/2012/08/09/brandon-cronenbergs-antiviral-trailer

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Marjane Satrapi got a new movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pkWWvchl3I

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Looks like a lot of fun. Kind of suprised they would have so much smoking in the trailer.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Huh, wasn't expecting it to be live-action. Still though, it looks really cool and I really liked Persepolis and the Chicken with Plumbs book.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

The problem is MGM's library is far too valuable. It keeps the company floating along and inflates the price.

They sold it all to Ted Turner in the mid-80s, though. They were going to sell the whole studio but Turner ran into financial difficulty and had to sell back the MGM brand and logo.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
While this trailer is really just an excerpt from the film, it's still pretty loving incredible. The fun starts about a minute into it.

http://vimeo.com/45252172

I read that at its premiere screening there were constant walk-outs due to people feeling nauseous.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is this a narrative film? The website was fairly scant on information and it has no wikipedia page.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's a documentary aboard a fishing ship.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/leviathan-locarno-review-360373

quote:

LOCARNO - Shot on board a fishing vessel off the New England coast, this experimental documentary has so far proven to be the most stylistically bold and visually striking world premiere at this year’s Locarno Film Festival in Switzerland. A wordless montage of footage filmed on small digital cameras from every dark corner of the boat, Leviathan is an immersive examination of a highly mechanized industrial process, the men who work at it and the thousands of poor fish who cross their path. A symphony of murky, grainy, jittery images and clanking, whirring, droning sounds, this is an abstract audio-visual experience as much as it is an observational film.

Based at Harvard University’s Sensory Ethnography Lab, the Anglo-French directing duo of Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel specialize in work that straddles the borders between visual art, documentary and anthropology. Some of their previous films are now part of the permanent collections in New York’s Museum of Modern Art and the British Museum in London. Although probably too esoteric for a full big-screen release, this US/UK/France co-production will undoubtedly screen at festivals, in art galleries and on highbrow TV channels.

Despite the lack of dialogue or editorial voice, there are flashes of literary intelligence and dark humor at work in Leviathan. The film’s Biblical title invokes both the best-known work of English philosopher Thomas Hobbes and Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick, while the minimal credits include the full Latin names of all the fish harvested on screen. They are also written in a gothic font that suggests heavy metal albums and horror movies.

From its isolated nocturnal setting to it blood-splattered scenes of mass seafood slaughter, there is certainly something hellish about Leviathan, whose murky hand-held aesthetic initially feels like the set-up for a mock-documentary monster movie in the spirit of The Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield. It would not seem too surprising if some mythic maritime beast like Jaws or Cthulhu lurched out of these inky depths and sucked the crew down to a watery grave.

Some of the deadpan observational sequences in Leviathan become overlong and repetitive, and the deliberate lack of context or commentary feels frustrating at times. But this seemingly random process also throws up some arrestingly powerful imagery, including macabre close-up shots of discarded fish heads waltzing across a wet floor as the boat pitches and rolls, and a squadron of seagulls swooping over a mini-camera as it bobs in and out of the ocean.

With their inspired use of cutting-edge camera technology to explore one of the oldest trades in human history, Castaing-Taylor and Paravel have made a highly original film of uncompromising, other-worldly beauty. Leviathan demands to be seen, even if it means you never eat seafood again.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Someone mashed up the trailers for Paranorman and Expendables 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrz3iICxvOI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Let's get some new Arnold up in here. Last Stand trailer:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/newline/thelaststand/

I'm curious to see how Arnold's particular brand of talent holds up these days. So much of his charm came from just being weird in a way that really meshed with 80s and 90s sensibilities I'm curious to see if it still comes across in our overly gritty times.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Watched the Great Gatsby trailer again; so good.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

I'm curious to see how Arnold's particular brand of talent holds up these days. So much of his charm came from just being weird in a way that really meshed with 80s and 90s sensibilities I'm curious to see if it still comes across in our overly gritty times.

I have to admit, I was grinning ear to loving ear the entire time. Sold.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

That looks so loving fun.

bows1 posted:

Watched the Great Gatsby trailer again; so good.

I think I've watched the Cloud Atlas trailer almost every other day. Once the music picks up at 2:41 all the way to 3:15 it's so loving good. That little note at 3:00-3:02 has been stuck in my head since I heard it)

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 16, 2012

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That looks so loving fun.

I think I've watched the Cloud Atlas trailer almost every other day. Once the music picks up at 2:41 all the way to 3:15 it's so loving good. That little note at 3:00-3:02 has been stuck in my head since I heard it)

I knew exactly what part you meant even without seeing the video, and after watching it again, it was it. It comes again a few seconds later and it is just beautiful. It gives me this weird majestic and fantastical feeling which really sells the trailer even more.

We finally got the Cloud Atlas trailer to our theater's servers today; it's just awkward since it is so long, you can't really place it anywhere without taking out other trailers. We have a rule to keep the trailertime at 8 minutes max, so you could only put one trailer with CA. Still, I just had to place it in front of at least one film, and it's even better when you see it on the big screen and with a great soundsystem.
I'm still not entirely sure about the film, but the trailer is one of the best I've seen in a long while.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

justlikedunkirk posted:

While this trailer is really just an excerpt from the film, it's still pretty loving incredible. The fun starts about a minute into it.

I read that at its premiere screening there were constant walk-outs due to people feeling nauseous.

I just want to say that this looks absolutely loving brilliant and I need to see it in a theatre with the audio at maximum volume.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDiaXZiIJOQ
Wow first Arnold now Sly, this looks great
E: Oh hello Christian Slater where you have been lately?

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 17, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's ours. If anybody knows what has been happening with Silver Pictures you can appreciate what a...delightful experience it has been.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Oh, nice... Tango & Cash: Tokyo Drift

I am down for this.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kiimo posted:

That's ours. If anybody knows what has been happening with Silver Pictures you can appreciate what a...delightful experience it has been.

Actually I don't, but hey, talented hot-head producer facing the end of his career / glory days due to a cold streak he can't seem to shake? How can that possibly make for a hostile work environment? :v:

(In all seriousness these are exactly the kinds of movies I want to see from Joel Silver and you guys did a great job with that trailer.)

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

feedmyleg posted:

It's made by by the directory of The Good, The Bad and The Weird which is crazy good over the top action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ZHP10__Co

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

This looks like a crazy fun time. I'll be at the midnight for this if they have one.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

feedmyleg posted:

Now that Arnold is apparently making movies again, what would it take to get a fun action movie with him, Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson? And oh man this would mean more Arnold commentary on his movies. The man spins magic with words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSqnFxVaIx4

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

drat, Stallone looks ripped in that movie.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

justlikedunkirk posted:

I don't understand what this is about. Is it a marine life documentary or something? A fishing movie? I can find no information that isn't about some terrible action/horror from 1989. This is not a very good trailer.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

qntm posted:

I don't understand what this is about. Is it a marine life documentary or something? A fishing movie? I can find no information that isn't about some terrible action/horror from 1989. This is not a very good trailer.
You could also try reading two posts below it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Now that Arnold is apparently making movies again, what would it take to get a fun action movie with him, Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson? And oh man this would mean more Arnold commentary on his movies. The man spins magic with words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSqnFxVaIx4

I'd be okay with Arnie in one of the Fast and the Furious movies.

• Locked thread