Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Why do people spell out their email addresses on the forums? (email at gmail dot com). Yes I've been reading the forums for more than 5 years now and still haven't figured it out.

I've always wondered this too, maybe so if they give their email address to an employer it won't be as easy to google it? Just a guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Why do people spell out their email addresses on the forums? (email at gmail dot com). Yes I've been reading the forums for more than 5 years now and still haven't figured it out.

Spammers used to harvest emails that way, I don't know if they do anymore. In any case it's not necessary since spam detection heuristics have become very good.

I have two questions: 1) is it possible to adjust the bluetooth timeout on my mouse and keyboard, and 2) why is it so hard to find a simple answer to this question via google?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Because they aren't aware that spammers figured out how to change that into a usable address years ago, so it's just making things slightly more annoying for the rest of us. It helped stopped receiving spam in like 2001, but not these days.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's especially annoying in forums like SA-mart because those aren't publicly viewable anyways.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Raimundus posted:

Is nicotine a naturally occurring chemical in tobacco, or is it an additive?

VVVVVVV Wiki'd it, didn't find my answer. Oh well.

buttopticor posted:

This question is extremely easy to Google, but yes, it occurs naturally in tobacco.

It's both naturally occurring and added to tobacco, or at least it had been. The many 1990s lawsuits demonstrated that tobacco companies extracted nicotine from low-quality tobacco and added it to their smoking tobacco, sometimes tripling the nicotine content. Hell, they even did scummy things like dipping the filter ends into nicotine so you'd get a buzz before even lighting the thing. That was a Lucky Strike invention, I believe. "It's toasted!" indeed, Mad Men.

Even with current FDA rules, there are many ways to add nicotine to a cigarette without it being considered an "additive". But that doesn't really matter, because they only have to disclose additives to the FDA, and neither the FDA nor the companies disclose these "trade secrets" to the suckers in the general public.

So, rather than adding pure nicotine to cigarettes as was once done, they can add a high-nicotine slurry to their tobacco sheets and not need to list "nicotine" as an additive. Once that practice gets banned in 50 years or so, they'll add nicotine in other ways. It's turtles all the way down. Ultimately, they'll spray a nicotine-heavy extract onto the plants before harvest and call it a pesticide.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I wanted to ask this question because I've heard this from one of my parents and it seems like one of those things you wish were true but probably isn't. Is it true if you normally have a small portion/healthy diet and you have a very large meal on a one-off or infrequent occasion you just don't take in all the fat/calories that a person with a heavier diet would because your body wouldn't fully digest the food? It seems weird to me but it's a nagging question.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Blindeye posted:

I wanted to ask this question because I've heard this from one of my parents and it seems like one of those things you wish were true but probably isn't. Is it true if you normally have a small portion/healthy diet and you have a very large meal on a one-off or infrequent occasion you just don't take in all the fat/calories that a person with a heavier diet would because your body wouldn't fully digest the food? It seems weird to me but it's a nagging question.

I think that's not true or at least not completely true. It'll take longer to fully digest but it'd fully digest anyway.

My own question:

Is it possible to access a normal version of say Facebook from my phone browser without it redirecting to the loving mobile version?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If you scroll to the bottom a lot of them have a link for "view desktop site" or "view full version" or something like that.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's super crazy how things work at such a small scale. There's a neat essay called Life at Low Reynolds Number that goes into it (technical article, also PDF.)

Without getting too far into it, Reynolds number is ratio that gives us a "quick and dirty" number that tells us how easily something can move in a fluid. It's related to the size and velocity of the object, and the density of viscosity of the fluid. High Reynolds numbers mean that the effects from viscosity are minimal, and an object's inertia is important to consider. Most things at our scale in air have high Reynolds numbers. In water, human-sized things have lower Reynolds numbers, but it's still not crazy low. If you're swimming, there's clearly more resistance to move your arm than in the air, and you can't "coast" as far as in air, but if you stop paddling, you'll still go a few more feet.

But shrink yourself down to a microscopic scale and suddenly that number goes down with you. What effect does this have? Well, from the above link:

So let's give those little guys a hand...they swim through what is, to them, the equivalent of miles and miles of molasses just for a chance to say "howdy, ma'am" to a sweet, young, impressionable egg.

Thank you for an amazing read. I love new ideas (or at least new to me ideas)!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Cabalxx posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with non audio/audible Alarm Clocks?

My Girlfriend is such a heavy sleeper that she has actually slept through an alarm beeping 54 times. I was sleeping in another room about 50 feet away and was awoken. I love her and don't want to murder her as she sets her alarm for a few hours before I wake up (Earlier work schedule) but I'm tired of my sleep pattern being messed with because she doesn't hear/register the sound.

The little bit of research I've done show's either bed shakers or light machines for an entire room. I had thought there was some sort of mask or something.

Anyhow, does anyone have a good source or any experience with this?

Best bet is in-ear headphones like Etymotics ER6i with the SIlicone Plugs. They will stay in the ear, and the alarm can get arbitrarily loud without making any noise to anyone else.

dokmo posted:

How about a vibrating watch?

From experience, great idea that is does not actually work on heavy sleepers. The toe puller alarms do but they can get kicked off pretty easily.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I am moaning in my sleep to the point where my spouse can't stay asleep. What the hell is wrong with me and/or what can I do to stop this? Ear plugs apparently aren't doing the trick.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

O, cool, you learn something every day.

Does 國 have the same yomi as 国, or does it get special ones?

Exactly the same, because it is the same character. It's still on the money even,日本國 or at least it was even after the simplification, but has apparently disappeared off the latest coins which now say 日本国. And the people and place names tend to lean towards the old style, as do building names (but that's because they are likely older).

圀 though sometimes seen, however, gets treated like it is a different character even though it shares the readings, at least the Japanese reading.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

kapalama posted:

Blah blah blah :nyoron:

What the hell did you do to earn that title?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Why does Amazon sometimes make me add stuff to my cart to see the price? Is it like a promotional device? B/c the deals never seem that good - or at least any better than other freely-published deals on the site.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I'd be googling this topic instead of posting here if my internet access wasn't so drat limited right now. Thought I'd type this up here and see if anyone had an idea.

I just moved into a condo a few days ago. The first night, my boyfriend noted an odd sound and found a persistent drip from the ceiling air vent. When he pushed up on it, more water dripped out, so we put buckets under each drip. The next morning, the dripping slowed down quite a bit, but every five seconds, there's a two second long rumbling sound. It's been going ever since. The rumbling is noisiest at the toilets (upstairs and down), and the pattern changes when the toilets are flushed. Does anyone know what this could be, or can someone give me a good link for reference? I appreciate any help at all.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Do you own the condo? If so call a plumber. If you're renting, call the owners and make them call a plumber.

It could be some other non-plumbing related issue but the toilet stuff makes me think that's the place to start.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 19, 2012

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Why does Amazon sometimes make me add stuff to my cart to see the price? Is it like a promotional device? B/c the deals never seem that good - or at least any better than other freely-published deals on the site.

They have agreements with the <stuff> company that they will not advertise their merchandise below <price x>. The company is afraid that, if it gets out that <stuff> is being sold below <price x>, it will devalue <stuff>. Amazon, however, is allowed to sell it at whatever price they want - they just can't tell you what the price is until you've already told them that you're interested in buying it. That way, it doesn't count as an advertisement.

I picked up some "silk wrapped bamboo chopsticks" from the grocery store, to make eating vaguely-asian-themed dishes more fun. Can I just throw them in the dishwasher with everything else, or do I need to hand wash them?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I normally don't get my chopsticks too incredibly dirty from eating. Running them under some hot water and wiping off any debris should suffice. If they are actually wrapped in silk I would hesitate to toss them in a dishwasher.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I bought an Xbox Slim in the US, and brought it with me to Turkey. What kind of power adaptor do I need? I'm only asking because for some probably idiotic reason google doesn't work for the past few days.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

UnfurledSails posted:

I bought an Xbox Slim in the US, and brought it with me to Turkey. What kind of power adaptor do I need? I'm only asking because for some probably idiotic reason google doesn't work for the past few days.

You should only need an adapter for the plug. The brick will do the power conversion. You should check to see if there's a switch on either the brick or the actual console in case it needs to be switched to 220v (if that's what Turkey operates on).

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

What is "Club Med" when mentioned in economic articles? Loose "Mediterranean countries"?

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
This might be a better fit for the housing thread, but I'd rather try here first. I just moved in with some friends in a rented house, and as I was cleaning the bathtub I noticed that the "tile" on the bathroom walls is actually a cardboard/particle board-type wall cut and painted to look like tile. Some of this "tile" covers the area where the tub handles and faucet are. Is this legal? Is it even normal?

We live in Louisiana, and the lease is up in November. I'm wondering if I should try to talk to the landlord about it (since it's sketchy and moldy) or just leave at the end of the quarter.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
That's pretty terrible and it will fall apart/become a home for lots of fun types of mold given the humidity that a shower creates.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

tarepanda posted:

That's pretty terrible and it will fall apart/become a home for lots of fun types of mold given the humidity that a shower creates.

I just talked to one of my roommates; she said there's a few things that she's going to address with the landlord the next time he comes by. It's definitely pretty gross. I think the worst part is that most of the shower has been recovered by sheets of cheap refrigerator-looking metal, and you can tell that the sheets are covering what used to be the grody not-tile.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why are most female fashion models anorexic and boyish-looking, with makeup that makes them look like crack addicts? Why don't clothing brands hire models that are more conventionally attractive?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
That's not really a stupid or small question. My guess is the fashion industry is very close and incestuous. The way they do things is the way they do things. There are always progressives and pushback against the norm though.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Shy posted:

What is "Club Med" when mentioned in economic articles? Loose "Mediterranean countries"?

It's a chain of all-inclusive resorts (meals, drinks and entertainment included in lodging fee). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_med

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

It's a chain of all-inclusive resorts (meals, drinks and entertainment included in lodging fee). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_med

I know, I mean something like this. On the other hand, probably that's all the info I need.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AGirlWonder posted:

This might be a better fit for the housing thread, but I'd rather try here first. I just moved in with some friends in a rented house, and as I was cleaning the bathtub I noticed that the "tile" on the bathroom walls is actually a cardboard/particle board-type wall cut and painted to look like tile. Some of this "tile" covers the area where the tub handles and faucet are. Is this legal? Is it even normal?

We live in Louisiana, and the lease is up in November. I'm wondering if I should try to talk to the landlord about it (since it's sketchy and moldy) or just leave at the end of the quarter.

Please please please get some pictures and post them in the housing thread and Crappy Construction Tales

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Captain Payne posted:

Why are most female fashion models anorexic and boyish-looking, with makeup that makes them look like crack addicts? Why don't clothing brands hire models that are more conventionally attractive?

Models are there to be living mannequins to hang your clothing designs on, not to look individually good.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Shy posted:

I know, I mean something like this. On the other hand, probably that's all the info I need.

Ah, I see. Never heard Club Med used in that context before, only in reference to swanky vacation resorts.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Looking for a non-serial web comic (a la Exterminus), and I have no idea who wrote it, illustrated it, the title, etc.

I believe I remember a dog-like character with glasses, perhaps a wide, expansive space scene(s).

That's about it. Can anyone lend a link?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I am mad with power because I got admin privileges to my work computer.

What is a good third-party snipping tool that I can use on XP?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Defenestration posted:

I am mad with power because I got admin privileges to my work computer.

What is a good third-party snipping tool that I can use on XP?

Greenshot

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
It says I need .Net Framework 2.0, and the download link it gives is broken.

Meanwhile I can't find anything below 3.5 on Microsoft's site, and those require Vista.

:(

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
I have no idea where to ask this so I'll try here.

I'm writing a paper and a I need to cite a book, however this book is an ebook I'm reading on a kindle and it doesn't have the real pages function that some books have. Has anyone had any experience with citing ebooks? I know it's a long shot but maybe someone knows?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TUBALLINATOR posted:

I have no idea where to ask this so I'll try here.

I'm writing a paper and a I need to cite a book, however this book is an ebook I'm reading on a kindle and it doesn't have the real pages function that some books have. Has anyone had any experience with citing ebooks? I know it's a long shot but maybe someone knows?

I just cite them as normal (I've cited for MLA and APA electronically) and note "electronic edition" after volume.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/2/ for specifics.

Getting the page is a bit more troublesome, some books you can use the "go to: page" feature in a kindle and figure it out, although I've simply noted "location" failing the ability to do that for books or documents that don't support page count, and, so far, haven't had any plagiarism charges leveled against me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How the hell does one get rid of mosquitos in an interior space? Everything I can find online is just about exteriors. My apartment building's hallway is filled with mosquitos and they're getting in my apartment and driving me crazy. Can I use any sprays or something to kill them en masse? Fly paper? Anything?

I wish I could kill them at the source but our back roof has no drainage system and so is just a big puddle of stagnant water every time it rains.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

How the hell does one get rid of mosquitos in an interior space? Everything I can find online is just about exteriors. My apartment building's hallway is filled with mosquitos and they're getting in my apartment and driving me crazy. Can I use any sprays or something to kill them en masse? Fly paper? Anything?

I wish I could kill them at the source but our back roof has no drainage system and so is just a big puddle of stagnant water every time it rains.

You could get one of these magnet screen door dealies for the door to the hallway. I haven't gotten one for myself because I have two indoor cats I don't want escaping but I know two separate people who have said they are marvelous.
As far as I can tell, you just walk right through it and it closes itself behind you.
It would be even better if you had some sort of entryway space before the hallway door, to create more of an airlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Defenestration posted:

It says I need .Net Framework 2.0, and the download link it gives is broken.

Meanwhile I can't find anything below 3.5 on Microsoft's site, and those require Vista.

:(

Try this. Pretty lovely of Microsoft to not have it on their site anymore though.