Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SpannerX posted:

I have a set of Heidenau K61s. I've heard they are good, but since the scoot is still hosed, I'm still not walking (50 percent weight on the leg now) and the tires aren't mounted, I can't really tell you. :) If you were local I'd sell them to ya, but it's too expensive to ship that sort of stuff, so it wouldn't be worth your while.

Yeah, I've heard great things about Heidenau's in general. On the K61 in particular (and to a lesser extent, the Michelin S1) I'm concerned about that long groove down the middle of the tire. We have a lot of grated bridges and ridged road surfaces around here and I think that center groove would track like a mother.

And drat, man, sorry you're still messed up but glad you're on the mend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I'm doing alright, tried to push the clutch in on the Ranger today to see if I could, nope, way too stiff. I might try the girlfriends Corolla and see if I can do that later, but I have my doubts. Sucks not being able to drive myself around, makes me wish I bought an automatic, but I don't do that. I'll row my own, thank you very much.

But the leg is getting better, I just have to work it as much as I can, which is slow going since I can't only do the exercises so much. Once I start hobbling around on 2 feet and not crutches, I'll start doing better. But I'm not doing that till the doc tells me to.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Mile High Mayhem was this last weekend. The 180 went into a shop to get cable outers for the gear selector run through the body, and it took just over a month for them to get to mine. On the day I got it back, drat thing tried to kill me twice with a series of unprecedented behaviors. After all that, I wasn't able to bring the scoot out to my first-ever meet, which sucked.

Luckily, the Denver scooter clubs are all really nice and have AMAZING scooters for me to look at and drool over.

I want an Elite so loving bad.

I can't explain it, but the one on the left was possibly my favorite out of all of them.

That was a pretty sharp paint scheme, too. It was marvelous.

I am absolutely determined to do everything possible needed to participate in the Monster ride this fall. Goddamn it looks like so much fun.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Great pics, being new to the scooter scene, I have some learning to do...

The drops on the VBx look pretty bad rear end.. thats got the wheels turning..

I added a bit of "flair" to my VBA today..

Im thinking about a "color" change to white seats and grey cowl rubber and running board strips...

I really love this because everything is so loving cheap, Im used to classic cars and british bikes where this poo poo is super expensive.

Is anyone familiar with the LML engine? My kickstarter lever rattles against the cowl and i was wondering if i could swap in an original vespa lever. Also, is there an exhaust kit for them?

preferably like this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/creativefxwraps/4608709777/

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]

Boomerjinks posted:

Mile High Mayhem was this last weekend. The 180 went into a shop to get cable outers for the gear selector run through the body, and it took just over a month for them to get to mine. On the day I got it back, drat thing tried to kill me twice with a series of unprecedented behaviors. After all that, I wasn't able to bring the scoot out to my first-ever meet, which sucked.

Luckily, the Denver scooter clubs are all really nice and have AMAZING scooters for me to look at and drool over.

Jealous! Last I checked, the only scooter club up here in Fort Collins stopped meeting a few years ago.

I'm having power-related buyer's remorse. As much as I love the 49cc, I've started to really want something more powerful. I guess it's time to start looking and saving. This town is great for a 50cc if you don't mind riding through neighborhoods, but I commute on 50-60mph roads to my job, and it's way too nice right now to be stuck in a car every day.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

LobsterboyX posted:

Great pics, being new to the scooter scene, I have some learning to do...

The drops on the VBx look pretty bad rear end.. thats got the wheels turning..

I added a bit of "flair" to my VBA today..

Im thinking about a "color" change to white seats and grey cowl rubber and running board strips...

I really love this because everything is so loving cheap, Im used to classic cars and british bikes where this poo poo is super expensive.

Is anyone familiar with the LML engine? My kickstarter lever rattles against the cowl and i was wondering if i could swap in an original vespa lever. Also, is there an exhaust kit for them?

preferably like this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/creativefxwraps/4608709777/

Nice lookin' bike, man.

The LML engine is the same as the Stella engine - the Stella is a rebadged LML Star which is coming out of factories that used to make the Vespa PX150. And beyond that just about all the 125-150cc Vespa motors are pretty similar. I think all largeframe Vespa motors from 80-200cc (but definitely 125-200cc) use the same engine mounts, so swaps are very common.

In general, while you're parts shopping, drat near everything that's sold for a P125/150, PX125/150, Genuine Stella (2-stroke), or LML Star 125/150 (2-stroke) will fit that motor, though there are some differences (ex. rotary versus reed valve) between P/PX and Stella/LML.

I'm pretty sure any kickstart lever for a largeframe Vespa would bolt right up. I know my friend (who has a '66 Bajaj-made VBB with an LML motor) has a VBB-style kickstart lever on his bike.

I think the exhausts will be pretty similarly universal. I know the 180-200cc motors have different, incompatible exhaust mounts. As for the exhaust in that flickr pic it looks like this unit SIP sells. Seems like a lot of money for an exhaust that won't do anything for your performance, though. If you dig that double-tip look I'd buy this one and paint it - the SIP Sport/SIP Road exhausts are great basic performance-improving units (as is the Sito+).

SIP's a great site, by the way, but I hear they (like all of Germany?) basically go on vacation for all of August, so it might be a while until your order ships.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I love that first pipe, I just ordered a rubber kit from scooterworks to change the existing black rubber to gray, i also ordered a set of whitewalls (the cheng shins that are on it are starting to crack)

Scooterworks has that same kit too

http://www.scooterworks.com/SITO-Sport-Replica-Exhaust-Red-Chrome-Vespa-Stella-P10462C500.aspx

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

LobsterboyX posted:

I love that first pipe, I just ordered a rubber kit from scooterworks to change the existing black rubber to gray, i also ordered a set of whitewalls (the cheng shins that are on it are starting to crack)

Scooterworks has that same kit too

http://www.scooterworks.com/SITO-Sport-Replica-Exhaust-Red-Chrome-Vespa-Stella-P10462C500.aspx

Oh, interesting. The SIP and Sito pipes are different - the outermost tip is shaped (curved on the SIP), and the header is shaped more like an expansion chamber on the SIP as well - and from most of what I've read and heard the SIP pipes are better made than comparable Sito units, which tend to rust out.

Scooterworks also indicates that that red Sito isn't a performance pipe, and it does look just like a red-painted stock pipe with two tips. The SIP unit would up performance, it's the same internals as the stock-looking black SIP Road but red. And the SIP Road is very well-regarded as a mild pipe, a lot like the Sito+ but with better ground clearance and quieter.

I'm not impressed with Scooterworks and the stuff they sell. The rubber I've seen from them (and other US sellers, sadly) tends to be shittier than what I've seen come from SIP. Outside of having a $100 minimum and shipping that starts at $20 (but prices low enough to make up for it), I much prefer SIP anymore. And you can save on shipping if you get in on group buys or go through someone like Piston Ported.

Scope out ScooterMercato and ScooterWest, too - I also prefer them to Scooterworks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ugh.... I want one so bad: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/07/bmw-ev-scooter/ .

I've been looking at getting another Honda Passport C70 and swapping in a 140cc engine; however, I could totally deal with an electric scooter that is new and can hit 50-60mph.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Anyone have experience with a honda elite 250? There is one on a local craiglist, an '86 with 4xxx miles for pretty cheap (about the price of a nice elite 80). 65-70 mph sounds pretty awesome, not that I'd need it but 45-55 is pretty much required to scoot into town. Seems to be in good running and electrical shape, the guy posted a nice walkaround video of it.

Is it the same engine as the helix? Parts availability issues or other concerns? I hadn't heard about the elite 250 so I didn't know if it was a limited run or something that I'd never be able to get parts for.

I'd really like to pull the trigger, but the timing may not be right at the moment. My wife and I are trying to have incentives for losing weight and I haven't thought of an incentive for myself yet. Would kind of be cheating to buy this before meeting my goal, however.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

dreesemonkey posted:

Anyone have experience with a honda elite 250?

My dad has an '86 Elite 250 and a '92(I think) Helix 250. I don't know if they have exactly the same motor, but they are basically the same bike. 65mph is probably winding things out pretty good.

Parts are widely available. 4000 miles is pretty low to me for a 26yo bike, but as long as everything looks ok, it's probably fine.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

theacox posted:

Parts are widely available. 4000 miles is pretty low to me for a 26yo bike, but as long as everything looks ok, it's probably fine.

Yeah, that's real low. I'd be concerned about rubber parts being dryrotted at that point, including tires - 4,000 miles probably wasn't enough to wear out the tires enough to warrant replacing. I see a lot of '80s bikes being sold with original tires, which would be extremely dangerous to ride on.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yeah, that's real low. I'd be concerned about rubber parts being dryrotted at that point, including tires - 4,000 miles probably wasn't enough to wear out the tires enough to warrant replacing. I see a lot of '80s bikes being sold with original tires, which would be extremely dangerous to ride on.

The seller was pretty honest in the ad saying the tires were "so-so", it would definitely be worth the money to get new shoes. He apparently changed the oil and did the coolant as well.

It's all a pipe dream at this point, ho hum.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Low mileage Elites are out there. Mine is an 86 and had 83xx on it when I bought it. It sat in a barn for years, but the PO had gone through and replaced everything.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I'm selling all my parts for vertical AC minarelli for pretty cheap including a complete stage 6 pro kit, it's good for 60mph and a few racing and street exhausts let me know if interessted

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Bought my first scooter yesterday, a Buddy 50.

This thing is so much fun.

Any neat accessories or mod ideas?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
whitewalls?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ManSedan posted:

Bought my first scooter yesterday, a Buddy 50.
Congrats! My shop sells Buddies. I like em. Remove the restrictor plate. I have no idea how to do that, though.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Wire up the body-mount turn signals so you can get rid of the handlebar-mount ones.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
gently caress all their advice.

Just loving ride it.

Ride it until you realize what you want to change.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Got some rubber... this is the first of two shipments.. I have more planned.

I really like the gray/white better..

Im shopping for some new seats too... ebay has a matching driver passenger seat in white for 100 bucks as well as a single bench seat in white also for 100 bucks. I just got a big job and more on the way, I think both might be in order.

gray floor mat and brake pedal pad as well as a kick starter pad. Its going to be a bitch to keep this stuff clean, but I love riding this thing so much, i dont really care. Its been too hot out and im still waiting on my plate/reg to ride it daily, but quick trips to the liquor store and market are a ton of fun.

the next order of business is getting some new tires on this thing. the ones that are on it are cracking a bit.

I also want to powdercoat the wheels and rear rack black for durability, the rack looks like it was rattle canned and the wheels are painted silver now and really dont look so great.

Its coming along fantastically, and If it wasnt so loving hot, Id be riding this thing every day.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Glad you're enjoying this thing, man. Scooters are loving rad.

Beware those eBay pieces - there's a lot of cheap Asian-made poo poo out there. And you wouldn't want people to think your bike is a bodge (google it)!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
ANYTHING can be better than the poo poo thats on there now, the seats are both garbage. A friend from way back has been in to scooters forever, and owns a scooter shop here in the valley, Ive asked him a lot of questions and got a lot of answers about where to find stuff. Theres also a local place near me called Bar Italia Classics who I've also been consulting with

Also, in response to the rubber, surprisingly almost everything that came from scooterworks was in a Italian made bag or package, and everything seems to be pretty good quality... so far, lets see what the socal weather has to say about how long they last.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

If it's too hot to ride, it's too hot to drive, I say. The only problem is when your seat's been out in the sun on a triple-digit day. For folks who forget to cover it after parking, you have to put oven mitts in your pockets or something before you can ride. Unless you prefer to stand, that is.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

LobsterboyX posted:

ANYTHING can be better than the poo poo thats on there now, the seats are both garbage. A friend from way back has been in to scooters forever, and owns a scooter shop here in the valley, Ive asked him a lot of questions and got a lot of answers about where to find stuff. Theres also a local place near me called Bar Italia Classics who I've also been consulting with

Also, in response to the rubber, surprisingly almost everything that came from scooterworks was in a Italian made bag or package, and everything seems to be pretty good quality... so far, lets see what the socal weather has to say about how long they last.

Right on. Good to know about the rubber - I guess I was afraid they'd just be selling the stuff they put on the Stellas, much of which was dryrotted as soon as I got my bike. New.

M4rg4r1ne posted:

If it's too hot to ride, it's too hot to drive, I say. The only problem is when your seat's been out in the sun on a triple-digit day. For folks who forget to cover it after parking, you have to put oven mitts in your pockets or something before you can ride. Unless you prefer to stand, that is.

Except my car has air conditioning and I can wear shorts and a t-shirt. Definitely drove to the beach this last weekend instead of riding.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So I did a quick and dirty photoshop... I think this is the way to go.

got the wheels off.

and off to the powdercoater I go. Hopefully they can get them back to me before my tires arrive.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
any info on this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VESPA-Sprint-Super-VBB-Sportique-60s-Twin-Sport-Exhaust-/260773400951?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb74e5177

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Looks like a cheap version of the SIP Sport. After shipping that TSR piece converts to $202, which is more expensive than the SIP version (which might be $185 after shipping) for what is probably a worse pipe.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Was about a half mile from home on Friday when I noticed my engine had suddenly become much louder. Looking down to my right, I saw my cowl hanging off like some sort of giant beetle wing. The little tab must have popped off somewhere alone the way, with no warning whatsoever.

Felt pretty good to solve the problem using just the scraps of aluminum and throwaway bolts sitting in the bottom of my toolbox.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What do 'yall think of the Honda PCX150?
My gal and I are looking for an affordable scooter with good MPG but with enough power to take us on 200 mile trips. Is it possible?

Together we weigh 300 pounds or so if that helps.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Frijolero posted:

My gal and I are looking for an affordable scooter with good MPG but with enough power to take us on 200 mile trips. Is it possible?

I rode one for a couple months in Thailand. It'd go up to 60mph, but I'm not sure I'd want to go much faster than that on it (and didn't.)

Great in the city though.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Frijolero posted:

If you're patient. And maybe very flexible. Go to a dealer, both of you, and sit on it two up for a little while.

I'd suggest a bigger scooter for two-up touring.

I also would not recommend riding two up - at least until you get a lot of riding experience.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I have an SH150i I ride two-up with my wife. It's ok and does great for around town, and I do hit 70 on the highways, but that's the top end. I think a 250 of some kind of would the ideal, but it seems like every manufacturer just dropped that market like it's...well, not hot. At any rate, it can be done, but your butt will probably end up sore on long rides. Also check the weight limit and make sure you'll be within it. The SH150i comes with a 366lbs "limit," though the exact same hardware goes up to 400 lbs in Canada, so I think it might just be based on braking distance or something. Not sure about the PCX.

I will say 150 is more than enough for around town, we hit 45 easily two-up on the Honda. It's just when you get up toward highway speed it's a little bottlenecked.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
So to prevent further theft what would you scooter people recommend? I was thinking of picking up a GPS and hiding it really well on the body and a beefier chain than what I have for when it's parked at home.

Got my scooter back after a $150 repair to the steering stem. Just glad it's not gone permanently!

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

cheese eats mouse posted:

So to prevent further theft what would you scooter people recommend? I was thinking of picking up a GPS and hiding it really well on the body and a beefier chain than what I have for when it's parked at home.

Got my scooter back after a $150 repair to the steering stem. Just glad it's not gone permanently!

Even a big chain is a matter of minutes to cut and steering lock is 10secs tops. Best way is a U lock attached to something solid and an alarm whick will save your steering lock in case they sit on it to break it. On some looked after MBK models it's very common to steal them by removing the wheel with the chain/lock and mount a new wheel which take 5 mins so once again alarm is the best deterrent

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I have a U-lock routed so either side of it goes around the arm for the rear brake and then through the spokes. The only way to remove the rear wheel at that point would be to cut the rear brake cable and remove the exhaust, which is doubtful anyone would do.

Or you can try a Grip-Lock, perhaps?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

M4rg4r1ne posted:

I have a U-lock routed so either side of it goes around the arm for the rear brake and then through the spokes. The only way to remove the rear wheel at that point would be to cut the rear brake cable and remove the exhaust, which is doubtful anyone would do.

Or you can try a Grip-Lock, perhaps?
they don't remove the exhaust, just bend the gently caress out of it to allow wheel removal, I've seen it done a dozen times

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My boyfriend is now one of us.

He's 6' 4" and looks ridiculous, but for $450 and 3k miles I'd say not bad for a first scooter. Just need some mirrors and some gear.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
back on the road with my newly powder coated rims and whitewall tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

My boyfriend is now one of us.

He's 6' 4" and looks ridiculous, but for $450 and 3k miles I'd say not bad for a first scooter. Just need some mirrors and some gear.

Holy poo poo you're back. Ever sell your RV90?