Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Luminaflare posted:

They do, they're all on the bottom of the box for some reason though.

Huh, missed that. Must be a Danish thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BizarroAzrael posted:

I have no idea, I live in the UK for reference.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

BizarroAzrael posted:

Could someone link that site that let's you find where kits are cheapest?
Created by one of our own: http://brickbadger.com/

Should be on the OP even!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Luminaflare posted:

They do, they're all on the bottom of the box for some reason though.

My perhaps overly-cynical theory on that:

People are more likely to purchase an item the more they interact with it. Apple takes advantage of this not only by having all their products open for demo on the sales floor, but also by tilting the screens in a manner that encourages customers to un-tilt the screens to use them. Car dealerships will try to shuffle you right into test-driving a vehicle before you can compare and contrast other vehicles on a price-to-feature basis.

By only pricing the items on the bottom of the box, this encourages the parent, who frequently hold the purse strings, to interact with the product as well as the child.

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
^^^^ There's not much interaction going on between customer and product when the product is inside a box (unless the customer shakes the box). They probably just don't want potential buyers to make an association between price and the all the fun stuff pictured on the packaging.

A Lego store opened up in my area a few months back, and I paid my very first visit after coming from a movie today. It was smaller than I imagined. I kept thinking that it was going to be like a "superstore" with aisles of sets and wall-to-wall pick-a-brick bins. I wound up leaving with a couple of Series 7 minifigs, the Monster Fighers set with the Gill-Man and a penguin keychain. It was a bright and busy, but I kept wondering, "Where's the rest of the store?"

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

fygar posted:

A Lego store opened up in my area a few months back, and I paid my very first visit after coming from a movie today. It was smaller than I imagined. I kept thinking that it was going to be like a "superstore" with aisles of sets and wall-to-wall pick-a-brick bins. I wound up leaving with a couple of Series 7 minifigs, the Monster Fighers set with the Gill-Man and a penguin keychain. It was a bright and busy, but I kept wondering, "Where's the rest of the store?"

When you come right down to it, Lego doesn't have a very large product line. Any Lego store probably has 90% or more of their retail products. They don't stock anything from other companies, so they don't need much space compared to a Toys R Us.
It'd be nice if they expanded their PAB walls, but producing bulk for them takes away molding time from set production.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I checked my favorite Smith's Marketplace on friday for S8, but the only box on the shelves was already cleaned out. I decided to try again today, and luckily there was a brand new box sitting there, with a second mostly-gone box behind. About 30 mins of feeling got me this:

I hadn't planned to get 3 Conquistadors originally, but just look at those suave fuckers. The wings on the pixie/fairy/Lady-Gaga-backup-dancer are hard plastic and a pretty nice piece. The diving guy is easy to find, but I had to go through the whole box before they came up. I really like the robots too, especially since I didn't manage to get any of the first variation. Cowgirl, Shakespeare and Pretzel Boy are all great for variety, but the random favorite has to be the newest Lego villain: The Banker. That bowler hat hiding insidious money-making plots, that briefcase holding the deeds to any number of shady businesses, that City Financial News paper oh-so carelessly held at the waist. Truly Lego has their thumb on the heartbeat of modern society.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Someone on Eurobricks just posted this supposed setlist for the Hobbit line:

Dr. Cogg posted:

Mystery of the Ring
Lord Of The Rings - The Hobbit

Fleeing from the Mirkwood Spiders

Attack of the Wargs

An Unexpected Gathering

Escape in the Barrels

The Orc King

EDIT: the very next poster points out that that list has been floating around a while, which makes it less likely to be correct.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

I hadn't planned to get 3 Conquistadors originally, but just look at those suave fuckers. The wings on the pixie/fairy/Lady-Gaga-backup-dancer are hard plastic and a pretty nice piece. The diving guy is easy to find, but I had to go through the whole box before they came up. I really like the robots too, especially since I didn't manage to get any of the first variation. Cowgirl, Shakespeare and Pretzel Boy are all great for variety, but the random favorite has to be the newest Lego villain: The Banker. That bowler hat hiding insidious money-making plots, that briefcase holding the deeds to any number of shady businesses, that City Financial News paper oh-so carelessly held at the waist. Truly Lego has their thumb on the heartbeat of modern society.

Love the banker's hat.

Is making moulds cheaper for TLG nowadays? Even if there are some reuses every collectibles series has had a couple of new acessories AFAIK. Or are they just that popular to warrant making one-off bagpipes and such?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Is making moulds cheaper for TLG nowadays? Even if there are some reuses every collectibles series has had a couple of new acessories AFAIK. Or are they just that popular to warrant making one-off bagpipes and such?

Interesting question but minifigs seem outrageously expensive to me so surely they are making money on them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

To be honest, no one would use injection molding if the molds cost as much as LEGO wants you to think.

Yes, it makes sense that designers should be discouraged from adding new pieces that they don't need to, if that just hurts profits. But on these collectibe sets, the whole point is new piece designs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just twigged that we haven't seen S8 in the UK yet is because we just had the Team GB minifigs. :smith: I want my Mr. Bubbles!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Local Target minifigs = 0 cases
Local TRU minifigs = 2 cases

So far I have gotten a 100% accuracy

1 Alien
1 Diver
2 Robots
1 Banker

The only one I can't find that I want is Shakespeare. I thought I had him multiple times but upon further inspection each neck ruff turned out to be the DJ's record. Is Shakespeare a short packed mini or is it just his lack of easily recognizable bits that make him hard to find?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

The only one I can't find that I want is Shakespeare. I thought I had him multiple times but upon further inspection each neck ruff turned out to be the DJ's record. Is Shakespeare a short packed mini or is it just his lack of easily recognizable bits that make him hard to find?

Shakespeare/The Actor is difficult because several of the figs have hair, several of them have multiple head-sized round parts, and like you said, the DJ also has that record. The best way to find him is to find that round ruffle, and try to bend it. It's made out of flexible plastic and I was even able to feel the texture of the ruffles through the plastic.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's that way in the Wisconsin store.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The_Doctor posted:

I just twigged that we haven't seen S8 in the UK yet is because we just had the Team GB minifigs. :smith: I want my Mr. Bubbles!

Isn't out here in germany yet either.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

RodShaft posted:

It's that way in the Wisconsin store.

To be clear, I'm in the UK, I only meant it might be a Danish thing since Lego is Danish.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So, no dot-spotting on the new minifig packs yet? If I don't get some robots soon I'll be the worst parent ever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dot patterns really haven't been reliable since like, series 4. Just squeeze the dang packages like the rest of us.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Travis343 posted:

Dot patterns really haven't been reliable since like, series 4. Just squeeze the dang packages like the rest of us.

Given my package-squeezing ability, that's not really reliable either.

(screw it i'm leaving the sophomoric double-entendre in there)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Indolent Bastard posted:

Local Target minifigs = 0 cases
Local TRU minifigs = 2 cases

So far I have gotten a 100% accuracy

1 Alien
1 Diver
2 Robots
1 Banker

I'm considering hitting my local TRU and hunting for an Alien, and maybe an Evil Robot. The diver was surprisingly easy to find.

I still can't get over his hilarious :haw: grin. "HOLY poo poo GUYS I'M IN A 1930s DIVING SUIT THIS IS loving AWESOME :haw: "

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hey guys, I'm moving in about a month and although I hate to get rid of it, I have 35 gallons of Lego to get rid of.

Here's my SA-Mart thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502707

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Krazyface posted:

Someone on Eurobricks just posted this supposed setlist for the Hobbit line:

EDIT: the very next poster points out that that list has been floating around a while, which makes it less likely to be correct.

If the Mirkwood spiders set is true, I really hope the spiders are different in design from Shelob.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Hey guys, I'm moving in about a month and although I hate to get rid of it, I have 35 gallons of Lego to get rid of.

Here's my SA-Mart thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502707

Responded in the other thread.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Best way to find the alien?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Feel for the big square slope, it's pretty obvious and stands out.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Anyone see this? Looks like amazon is offering lego's education sets now. The prices aren't super great (around 10c/piece) but it looks like they come with a decent assortment of general pieces. Probably useful for anyone who's trying to bootstrap their collection.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

7thBatallion posted:

Best way to find the alien?

As InfinEight said, the "dress legs" are a dead give away.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN
Got a wonderful surprise today when I came home from work - one of my friends dropped off a set I've wanted since my childhood, The El Dorado Fortress.

A little backstory, I collected Pirates and Castle stuff almost exclusively as a kid, but mostly had the small sets, and really only had stuff from 1988-1992, after which the parents thought I was too old to still be getting LEGO for Christmas. My friend knows that I've been getting back into LEGO and had dug out my old collection. He mentioned that he'd found a "pirate set" for a couple bucks at a yard sale several months ago, had put it together, and now didn't want it. So he offered to give it to me for free.

Well I certainly wasn't one to pass up free LEGO, even though I was pretty sure by the way he described it that the set was one of the smaller buildings. So you can imagine my surprise when I found the bag of bricks on my porch, complete with an intact, unchipped baseplate and minifig & detail pieces!

Haven't dug it out from the bag yet, but it looks mostly complete, and I should be able to find any missing parts in my surplus.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I collected Lego Pirates during the same period, and when I got into Lego over the past couple of years, I started by buying up a bunch of sets that I'd missed.

Eldorado Fortress was really something special. I thought Rock Island Refuge was going to be my favourite, but I thought EF was a fantastic build - I hope you have all of the pieces and you enjoy putting it together!

(Skull Island surprised me for how fun it was, as well, if anyone's on the lookout to increase their Pirate collection.)

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

Testro posted:

I collected Lego Pirates during the same period, and when I got into Lego over the past couple of years, I started by buying up a bunch of sets that I'd missed.

Eldorado Fortress was really something special. I thought Rock Island Refuge was going to be my favourite, but I thought EF was a fantastic build - I hope you have all of the pieces and you enjoy putting it together!

(Skull Island surprised me for how fun it was, as well, if anyone's on the lookout to increase their Pirate collection.)

Yeah dude! I actually picked up a gently used, mostly intact Rock Island Refuge a year or so ago, that was another set I did not have in childhood. The build was pretty cool but didn't have that "big set" feel like the castles did. Putting this Eldorado Fortress together so far feels more epic. It looks like it's missing a few detail parts and small bricks, but overall mostly complete. I can stand the chipped flag clips and missing bricks, just knowing this thing rounds out another fascination from my childhood.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I used to look in old catalogues and long for Eldorado Castle as a kid. The pain of discontinued sets, thankfully these days there is some relief through the internet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever made 1:1 technic drivetrain replacements in some form of appropriately stiff metal? I mean like axles, gears, u-joints, that sort of thing? Or would that massively complicate a build due to now requiring roller bearings and lubrication and not just relying on the natural lack of friction between the ABS parts?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

And does anyone know if the Bellevue Lego store still has series 6 minifigs? If I can get a Galaxy Patrol, I would do that first.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
In case you haven't seen this yet:

LEGO The Motion Picture Vehicle Design Contest
http://www.facebook.com/events/488218374539302/
http://www.legothemotionpicture.com/

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

7thBatallion posted:

And does anyone know if the Bellevue Lego store still has series 6 minifigs? If I can get a Galaxy Patrol, I would do that first.

We haven't had series 6 in like 6 months. We have also been out of series 7 for a few weeks now.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Galaxy patrol was 7 anyhow, he probably got the numbers mixed up.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Ika posted:

Galaxy patrol was 7 anyhow, he probably got the numbers mixed up.

Yeah. I know Bartell's has them for 2.79 right now, but we are out for sure.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I think I found a good little deal on Craigslist this afternoon searching for bulk Lego. I found about 5-6 lbs of random Lego for sell for $20, snapped that up pretty quick and looks a bit like this.

The bin looked like it had at least two fairly complete sets in the loose items, only problem is I can not identify them all that well. Lets see if you all can help me out here and identify what sets pieces might be in here so I can try to build them. I saw a bunch of the old space symbols so that is a good start on identifying what set it might be.

A couple of symbols on the stickers.

Was almost thinking it is some type of space mining set due to a lot of these pieces laying around.

Even if there is not a complete set in this bin, all the nice colored bricks, the trans canopy's and all the other odd shaped pieces made this a good deal I am thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Looks like you got some Power Miners, Mars Mission(space miners!), Agents sets, Aquashark stuff(or at least a canopy to one of the sets), and Exo-Force.

Not a bad haul, and certainly not bad for the price you paid.