Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenuphar
Aug 19, 2011

Tikitok tikitok

Sombrerotron posted:

Also, I don't believe anyone's mentioned yet that the first album by Chris Squire and Steve Hackett as Squackett was released a few weeks ago. It's called A Life Within A Day, and it's pretty good! Here's the title song.

I was pretty disappointed by Squackett. The songs are good, but the sound looks like something that has been recorded in the late 80's… And this is not exactly the best era of prog.

I don't know if Comus was mentioned in this thread, but it should. Seriously, listen to this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5ckJTB5o8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh Steve Hackett, I'm convinced that the whole Genesis argument about Phil Collins vs Peter Gabriel is moot because the real answer is Genesis stopped being good when Hackett left. I mean yeah, they had some great 80s songs but that's not the stuff I really want to still listen to. A Trick of the Tail, Nursery Cryme, and Selling England By The Pound are three of my favorite albums. Lamb Lies Down I'm a little cooler on and I've shamefully never even listened to Wind & Wuthering. Maybe I should do that now.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

and I've shamefully never even listened to Wind & Wuthering. Maybe I should do that now.

Wuthering is really one of the albums I'm mostly indifferent to, though I love the band with and without Hackett---the proggy bits don't do it for me, and Afterglow is awesome as a way to end a medley, but that's all that I ever take away from the record. That and "you really cut the stuff on Spot the Pigeon during these sessions? Ugh, footy fans."

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've always liked Wind & Wuthering. Eleventh Earl of Mar is one of my favorite opening tracks on any Genesis album, One for the Vine feels like a great Gabriel-era epic, Your Own Special Way is lovely despite venturing into mainstream pop ballad territory... really it's good all-around, maybe edging out Trick of the Tail as my favorite post-Gabriel Genesis album.

(Then again maybe not, as there's nothing on it as sublime as Entangled.)

Edit: Also, ...And Then There Were Three is severely underrated by fans of prog Genesis. Yes it's the album with Follow You, Follow Me and has more than its fair share of filler, but Down and Out and Undertow at least are absolute classics.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 29, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Rollersnake posted:

(Then again maybe not, as there's nothing on it as sublime as Entangled.)

Probably my favorite Genesis song.

And would this be a place for me to voice my shock at the fact that apparently this loving year Jethro Tull released a sequel to Thick as a Brick?? THAAB 2

:psyduck:

I mean I love me some Tull sometimes (Song From The Wood and the title track for Minstrel in the Gallery being my favorites) but this sounds just too weird to be true.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I'm pretty sure TAAB2 got a mention in here at least 2 months ago. Apparently it's actually a worthy enough followup but, obviously, not as good as the original.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
I've spent some time lately rediscovering some of the none-ITCOTCK King Crimson albums and I'm ready to state that In The Wake of Poseidon might just be the best thing ever.

Every god drat track on it is absolutely stellar. I can't believe I actually managed to miss out on this earlier.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Listening to the new Arjen Lucassen album for the third time. I think it's a pretty cool album, but Lucassen does really toe the line between having a (very) recognisable sound and just doing the same thing on every record...

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh wow, there's a new Änglagård album. I did not see that coming. I'm only about 5 minutes in but yep, this is what I've been hurting for.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Is this the proper thread to gush about the new Asia album? Tomorrow the World is a loving stellar opening track.

http://youtu.be/0Ai3l801ABg

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I dunno, it's not quite doing it for me. That synth melody sounds like it was grafted on at the last minute. I'm disappointed---I loved Phoenix. (Omega was a huge let-down as well.)

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Trees and Squids posted:

Oh wow, there's a new Änglagård album. I did not see that coming. I'm only about 5 minutes in but yep, this is what I've been hurting for.

Seconding this - everyone should be listening to this.

I really feel like they've matured a lot for this one, a lot of the solo show-offs have been traded away in favour of a more combined, tight sound. It really is great.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Trees and Squids posted:

Thanks for posting this! I just discovered them through this thread. So far, this tops their debut. The first track I listened to was a 15 minute number that would have sounded right at home on "In the Wake of Poseidon". Some of the same scary Mellotron sounds from "The Devil's Triangle".

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just found the 2004 "Original Master Edition" In the Court of the Crimson King on CD at a used record store for six bucks, I'm not an audiophile but holy poo poo this thing sounds awesome compared to the original CD release. I tend to dislike a lot of remasters because they seem too clean, or too loud, or something (as I said I'm not an audiophile, I'm not sure what I'm talking about), but this edition sounds perfect.

If you have a version previous to this one you should definitely upgrade, it's given me a whole new appreciation for one of my favorite albums.

EDIT: Here are some pictures of the version I got:

EDIT2: Just read the thread and found out there's a 40th anniversary edition that sounds even better than this, I guess one day I'll own yet another copy of this album.

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 6, 2012

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Not sure if there are any Echolyn fans here, but they just released their first album in seven years (self-titled) and in my opinion it's the best thing they've ever put out. Not to be confused with their debut album from 1991, which is also self-titled. Here's the opening track from it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Optimum Gulps posted:

Not sure if there are any Echolyn fans here, but they just released their first album in seven years (self-titled) and in my opinion it's the best thing they've ever put out. Not to be confused with their debut album from 1991, which is also self-titled. Here's the opening track from it.
poo poo, there's a band I completely forgot about. As the World was one of my high school favorites.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

d0s posted:

EDIT2: Just read the thread and found out there's a 40th anniversary edition that sounds even better than this, I guess one day I'll own yet another copy of this album.

You can get all the 40th anniversary remasters from Steven Wilson's headphone dust store for like $10.

Also Steven Wilson has a new DVD (Get All You Deserve) coming out in September, pre orders are up on kscope Burning Shed.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 6, 2012

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Anyone been keeping a tab on Disperse? Pretty sure it was this thread that drew my attention to their super excellent debut, Journey Through Hidden Gardens, which I played pretty thoroughly. Anyway they've started putting out material from their upcoming album, which seems to have taken a bit of a turn for the djent. This will probably turn some people off since it seems to be a pretty polarizing, uh, sub-genre? (what even is it I don't know), but I think they use it pretty tastefully and the spacey atmosphere from their first album is still there. Here's a couple tracks and some stuff.

Unbroken Shiver - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siQuPEMRgFs

Enigma Of Abode (drum playthrough) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK163PBWy7k

Update video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj4RVLWTugs

Guitarist playing a few riffs (this guy is only like 19 :wtc:) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l51CRTXZ3s

SirShakes
Jul 13, 2012

ISSAPEEPO
I read some of this thread and skimmed through a lot of it, but I didn't see anyone post anything about The Mahuvishnu Orchestra. They are another great group from the 70s. They are incredibly jazzy, and are classified as jazz fusion by wikipedia although I've only ever heard people talk about them being prog-jazz. If anyone wants to check them out I suggest that they start with the album Birds of Fire.

Birds of Fire

Also, as a bonus, here is a video of King Crimson from when they had the original members. There is no footage of the band, but plenty of sound!

King Crimson from 1969 at the Filmore.

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

SirShakes posted:

I read some of this thread and skimmed through a lot of it, but I didn't see anyone post anything about The Mahuvishnu Orchestra. They are another great group from the 70s. They are incredibly jazzy, and are classified as jazz fusion by wikipedia although I've only ever heard people talk about them being prog-jazz. If anyone wants to check them out I suggest that they start with the album Birds of Fire.

Birds of Fire

Also, as a bonus, here is a video of King Crimson from when they had the original members. There is no footage of the band, but plenty of sound!

King Crimson from 1969 at the Filmore.
I have three of their albums, though I never really listen to it like I should. It just comes up on shuffle while I'm in the car and I enjoy it and it passes.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Yeah Mahavishnu gets pegged as jazz-fusion a lot but really they're just prog without the lyrics. That one and Inner Mounting Flame are excellent.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I guess this is prog news, which I heard about from a coworker. Apparently George Jefferson was really into progressive rock and LSD, but was really into Gong. Pretty awesome dude in my book.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/24/sherman-hemsley-had-an-lsd-lab-in-his-basement/

Peanut Fantasies
Jun 19, 2004

Retarded Goatee posted:

I've spent some time lately rediscovering some of the none-ITCOTCK King Crimson albums and I'm ready to state that In The Wake of Poseidon might just be the best thing ever.

Every god drat track on it is absolutely stellar. I can't believe I actually managed to miss out on this earlier.

The 40th Edition has Cadence and Cascade with Greg Lake singing too.

http://youtu.be/iTvRsB6UPi8

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

Kegwen posted:

On Steven Wilson's current tour, they've been playing a song from his next album titled Luminol. It apparently has been going over well with audiences.

I can see why.

I love it when Steven Wilson surprises me. I expected more Grace for Drowning.

He's got a live DVD/Blu-ray coming out shortly, and the video of Luminol has been released as a preview. It sounds astonishing.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/video-steven-wilson-luminol-live-from%20-mexico-city-556254

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

I'm really looking forward to that release. I love the Porcupine Tree live releases, and this is looking like another must-have for me. Here it is in glorious YouTube fake-1080p instead of whatever MusicRadar's silly player has, along with another song from the Blu-ray, Harmony Korine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3MpGBwGdVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbW56ersWe8

I've had Grace for Drowning on repeat a bit too much lately. I need more artists to scratch the same musical itch that Steven Wilson does for me, but I have't really found any. I only recently started trying out King Crimson, but it hasn't really clicked for me just yet. I'm going to get sick of SW's output from overplaying it at this rate.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Kegwen posted:

I only recently started trying out King Crimson, but it hasn't really clicked for me just yet. I'm going to get sick of SW's output from overplaying it at this rate.

Listen to Red more. It's really the #1 KC album I overplay. Lark's Tongues and SABB are great too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Would it be wrong for me to say that Steven Wilson & co. put on some of the tightest live performances out there? The one time I saw Porcupine Tree live and every live video I've seen of them performing live proves to me that, despite having a ton going on on-stage, they don't seem to miss a beat. It all comes together in this grandiose, technically impressive and beautiful package that most performers I've seen don't come close to rivaling.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Would it be wrong for me to say that Steven Wilson & co. put on some of the tightest live performances out there? The one time I saw Porcupine Tree live and every live video I've seen of them performing live proves to me that, despite having a ton going on on-stage, they don't seem to miss a beat. It all comes together in this grandiose, technically impressive and beautiful package that most performers I've seen don't come close to rivaling.

The band he chose for the solo tour is incredible, I'm really excited to see Abandoner and Get All You Deserve on the blu-ray to see how they work. I haven't been able to see any of his stuff live yet, and it's killing me because I don't think I could be a bigger fan if I tried. drat Australia :argh:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 14, 2012

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Mellomeh posted:

He's got a live DVD/Blu-ray coming out shortly, and the video of Luminol has been released as a preview. It sounds astonishing.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/video-steven-wilson-luminol-live-from%20-mexico-city-556254

Holy crap, I'd forgotten about that song and how awesome it is! I pre-ordered the dvd a few weeks back and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I'm not even sure what to think of a 15-disc set :psyduck:

edit: £74.99 for the 15-disc box set on Burning Shed.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 18, 2012

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

david puddy posted:

I'm not even sure what to think of a 15-disc set :psyduck:

I have no idea what they'll price that as, but I know I won't be able to afford it! :argh: I really want that though!! I'm one of those people who is obsessed with in-studio footage...so who knows, maybe I will spend an entire paycheck to get this. Then again, that's probably exactly what Bob Fripp is banking on...

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I pre-ordered that mega set. Its about $140 from Burning Shed, $120 from the US branch of DGM, but their service is notoriously bad/slow, so I got it from Burning Shed. There's gonna be lots of crazy improv jams with Jamie Muir, and I couldn't pass that up. That said, there will still be the cheaper $20 cd/dvd-a set for the casual fan/newbie.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
All I can say is I've been wanting this for a long time, and I didn't even know there WAS extra material.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

BjornOfBorg posted:

Listening to the new Arjen Lucassen album for the third time. I think it's a pretty cool album, but Lucassen does really toe the line between having a (very) recognisable sound and just doing the same thing on every record...

This CD loving owns. The entire thing is goofy as hell but Arjen is just so adorable and enthusiastic with everything he does. He's like someone's [super-talented] dad who just discovered the internet and futurism and aliens and decided to write songs about them. Disc 2 is particularly good (and less wacky), and includes a p. killer cover of Veteran of the Psychic Wars. It's probably a better album than his last couple, though the others have some better single songs.

Listening to him makes me go :haw: like some of the Flower Kings' stuff.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Optimum Gulps posted:

I've been getting into Echolyn lately, and they're really incredible!

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
That KC box set is ridiculous. I mean, I love that album, but 15CDs, really!?

Btw, I'm not sure if this would be the thread for it, but does anyone know how much Steven Wilson layers instruments? I like his music but I especially like his production techniques with his solo stuff and PT and I think it could suit my music well even though I play something completely different than him. He just makes everything sound so airy yet tight with stuff going on and resonances.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah I love Lark's Tongue as much as the next nerd and already have the Great Deceiver box set and a bunch of other recordings from that era but I don't know if I need to hear every single random riff and jam session that occurred in 1973.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Its not from 1973, but 1972 when Jamie Muir was with in band, and the improvs were VERY different from The Great Deceiver box set. Muir was a madman on percussion, while Bruford more or less held it down. The shows were held in higher regard than after he left, as reviews of the shows pointed out. Fripp wouldn't put it out if they weren't so legendary.

15 discs, but not 15 cds. There is a dvd-a and bluray, each with surround mixes of the album, which I am really excited about. Also a concert in Germany of the 5 piece just before their first major tour. Its not so much of a cash grab. And of course there are the 2 disc sets for the casual listener.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The only live material with Muir released before now (a handful of KCCC releases) has all been mediocre-quality bootlegs, so the existence of soundboard recordings and live in the studio stuff is really, really exciting and something altogether new even with the enormous amount of available live KC material out there.

LTiA is my favorite King Crimson album, and maybe my favorite album altogether, but even I can't justify spending $120-140 on that though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Did anyone see the mini-KC tour with Dream Theater this summer? How was it?