Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Eggplant tempura!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Does freezing meat degrade the quality, especially the more expensive cuts like steak? I'm trying to buy more meat from a butcher and less from my supermarket, but there aren't any near me so I need to rely on having meat delivered. The problem is that means I have to buy enough to make it over the minimum order limit for delivery, far more than I can eat in the couple of days it will keep in the fridge. Would freezing it and defrosting before cooking degrade it too much?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I've got a shitton of large eggplants that I want to use for dinner. Any suggestions that don't suck?

Still haven't gotten used to using eggplant in things, I've been just adding it to stirfrys for tasteless filler...

I just used up two pretty big ones making an eggplant lasagne/moussaka kind of thing. Slice the eggplant, salt liberally, and let sweat for 30 min. Rinse and squeeze to drain excess water. Saute the eggplant slices in a large skillet or griddle. Assemble in an 9x13 pan alternating layers of hot Italian sausage, ricotta, mozz, eggplant slices, and tomato sauce of choice, finishing with a good amount of mozz. Finish in the oven until bubbly, broil to brown the top.

You can also make baba ghanouj, baingan bharta, parmigiana di melanzane, moussaka, ratatouille.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ratatouille is always the answer when eggplant is involved :3:

Either that or I've heard eggplant curries are really tasty, but I've never tried one, personally.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Does freezing meat degrade the quality, especially the more expensive cuts like steak? I'm trying to buy more meat from a butcher and less from my supermarket, but there aren't any near me so I need to rely on having meat delivered. The problem is that means I have to buy enough to make it over the minimum order limit for delivery, far more than I can eat in the couple of days it will keep in the fridge. Would freezing it and defrosting before cooking degrade it too much?

Do you not normally freeze your meat? You really shouldn't leave meat in the fridge for much more than a day.

Freezing meat has issues if you don't vacuum seal it due to frost burn. If you're getting it delivered, its most likely vacuum sealed, so just leave it in the seal. Or get a vacuum sealer.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Guacamole question. Is there a difference between using red onion or white onion?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Rurutia posted:

Do you not normally freeze your meat? You really shouldn't leave meat in the fridge for much more than a day.

Freezing meat has issues if you don't vacuum seal it due to frost burn. If you're getting it delivered, its most likely vacuum sealed, so just leave it in the seal. Or get a vacuum sealer.

I usually buy my meat every other day to avoid having to freeze it, my supermarket is 5 minutes walk away

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I usually buy my meat every other day to avoid having to freeze it, my supermarket is 5 minutes walk away

Ah ok. In that case, if well wrapped (not just sitting out in the open) you shouldn't really experience negative effects if its under a week. More than that, I'd vacuum seal.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

An observer posted:

Guacamole question. Is there a difference between using red onion or white onion?

They taste a little different but you can probably use whatever you want.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Rurutia posted:

Ah ok. In that case, if well wrapped (not just sitting out in the open) you shouldn't really experience negative effects if its under a week. More than that, I'd vacuum seal.

Thanks a lot. How long should I let it defrost in the fridge, and how long after defrosting will it stay good?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I defrost vacuum sealed meat in the sink, run cold water over it or just fill one side of the sink and leave it in cold water for an hour or so.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
^^^ Yeah, if it's vacuum sealed you can just drip water over it and it'll defrost pretty fast.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Thanks a lot. How long should I let it defrost in the fridge, and how long after defrosting will it stay good?

Depends on thickness and size obviously. I give whole chickens 24 hrs. Slabs of meat (2-4 lbs), I can usually just move to the fridge in the morning and it'd be ready at night. I wouldn't keep things in the fridge defrosted for more than 24 hrs, but I'm more cautious about that than some.

VV Whelp, I'm assuming you're not keeping your fridge cold enough that frost forms on your vegetables.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 21, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Depends on your fridge too, I keep my fridge pretty cold and nothing defrosts in there.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

dino. posted:

Slice them about 1 cm thin...

Thanks Dino, I tried this because it was the most simple. I ended up putting a mix of spices on them whatever I had lying around, roasting them with some cherry tomato halves. Delicious! I basterdized it by pouring some room temp gazpacho over them for acidity and ate with rice.

How do you know the eggplant is "done"?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Thanks Dino, I tried this because it was the most simple. I ended up putting a mix of spices on them whatever I had lying around, roasting them with some cherry tomato halves. Delicious! I basterdized it by pouring some room temp gazpacho over them for acidity and ate with rice.

How do you know the eggplant is "done"?

When you squish it between your fingers, it "gives" and lets you squish through. :3 When you use this method, you go through a /lot/ of eggplant at once, which is awesome. Also, it's quick enough that you can do multiple batches. Eating with rice and tomatoes is totally a valid way to eat the little planks. It's such a simple recipe that you might even do large batches, and keep 'em in the fridge to use up during the week. I'm glad that you're appreciating what eggplant can be!

What spices did you use?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

PokeJoe posted:

They taste a little different but you can probably use whatever you want.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm making a colossal batch for a huge picnic this weekend :buddy:

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

I have a very large number of baked potato skins. While I don't have a problem with just frying em up, I was looking for other ideas. They're mostly cut in half the short way, with a little potato left on em but not much.if you have a "traditional" bacon and cheese recipe that would also be OK.

Infuse them in oil thus producing potato oil, then put that on sausages or vichyssoise. It's also really funny to make vinaigrettes with it.

timmo
May 29, 2004

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I actually work as a butcher, and most of the time we'll freeze things for people if they call ahead and ask for it. The upside to having us do this is that we'll (probably) wrap it better for the freezer than you would, and that our freezers are -20º so you get a faster freeze. A faster freeze means smaller ice crystals, which means less "damage" to the meat when it thaws out.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What's a decent way of making potato skins, anyway? I'm going to be making mashed potatoes tonight and wondered if I could salvage the skins...

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

dino. posted:

What spices did you use?

Yeah I liked it a lot and will probably make it again soon. It lent a different sort of flavor to the eggplant which was nicer than what I was used to. The eggplants were a bit old (the insides we turning brownish) too so I would think slightly fresher will taste better.

I used cinnamon, cumin, pepper, ancho chili powder, allspice, coriander, nutmeg. Worked well. I'd use more hot peppers next time.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

What do I do with too many peppers? There are a bunch of bell peppers, cubano, fresno, habanero, a DICKTON of jalapeno, cayenne, hot cherry, thai bird chili, and maybe some others floating around. Basically my uncle made his garden way too big this year. And this is just the stuff he gave me. My other family members either got a poo poo ton of peppers or don't like hot stuff (any pepper at all is "too spicy" for them). I, on the other hand, love spicy things.

But what can you do with Too Many Peppers?

Already planned is a huge batch of chili, stuffed peppers, jalapeno poppers.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Rotten Cookies posted:

What do I do with too many peppers? There are a bunch of bell peppers, cubano, fresno, habanero, a DICKTON of jalapeno, cayenne, hot cherry, thai bird chili, and maybe some others floating around. Basically my uncle made his garden way too big this year. And this is just the stuff he gave me. My other family members either got a poo poo ton of peppers or don't like hot stuff (any pepper at all is "too spicy" for them). I, on the other hand, love spicy things.

But what can you do with Too Many Peppers?

Already planned is a huge batch of chili, stuffed peppers, jalapeno poppers.

pickle? kimchi? can them? Jalapeno jam?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

This. Hot pepper jam is so gooooood.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Put in freezer, forget what exactly they were, throw in a handful of whatever you're cooking because that seems about right.

...it's a miracle I still have tastebuds.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Make some ice cream with them. Pepper ice cream is the greatest.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

PokeJoe posted:

Make some ice cream with them. Pepper ice cream is the greatest.

you can just come in here and post this without a recipe...do you cut off the inner membrane and roast for sweetness?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Rurutia posted:

This seems a bit overzealous, especially seeing as how at grocery stores they sit in coolers, unfrozen for up to 5 days or so.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

This seems a bit overzealous, especially seeing as how at grocery stores they sit in coolers, unfrozen for up to 5 days or so.

This is why I don't like leaving it more than a day. Because it potentially has been sitting out for up to 5 days. I have had meat go bad after one day that was perfectly fine when I got it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

you can just come in here and post this without a recipe...do you cut off the inner membrane and roast for sweetness?

Make your favorite ice cream base and while heating it, add whatever quartered pepper you like. If you have jalapenos that are pretty spicy, a single one would be sufficient but if they're the usual heatless store bought ones you'll need some more. Heat it (but don't boil it) for at least 15 minutes or so to get the pepper flavor into the base. Run the base through a screen to remove the seeds and membranes. Cool and churn. Feel free to dice up a pepper to throw in so you have pepper bits in the ice cream too. If you think those might be too hot, save the bits from your quartered pepper. Remove the membranes and dice the rest of the pepper up before adding it. Vanilla goes nice with it too, so you can basically just add peppers to a vanilla ice cream recipe you like.

I've never tried roasting the peppers first, that might make an interesting ice cream.

For my own question, I got a bunch of skinless(:() boneless salmon filets and don't really know of that many interesting ways to prepare them. Any suggestions?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

An observer posted:

Hell yes!

Both are good so use whichever one you have. I prefer red though.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I see all these great recipes with people whipping up aioli. Is there any safe way to make it with raw egg? I had salmonella once, and I'm in no rush to expose myself to it again. Do I have to hunt down pasteurized eggs?

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Does anyone have a recipe on hand for a recipe using fried shrimp with Tsingtao beer?

I used to have one bookmarked that for a dish that I made every few months and then now the URL goes to nowhere. I think I'm remembering the ingredients and the process, but the last few times I've made it, there's something missing. Using a traditional beer-batter recipe with the Tsingtao didn't seem to cut it either.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

particle409 posted:

I see all these great recipes with people whipping up aioli. Is there any safe way to make it with raw egg? I had salmonella once, and I'm in no rush to expose myself to it again. Do I have to hunt down pasteurized eggs?

I've never even heard of non-egg based aioli before so I've no idea if such a thing is possible or even recommended. The better thing to do is just not buy lovely eggs from worse places - according to Wolfram Alpha the odds of the average American (which is where I assume you're from) is like 0.0016% or something. You should be fine.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Plus salmonella is on the shell of the egg, not inside. Wash the egg if you're worried.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

An observer posted:

Plus salmonella is on the shell of the egg, not inside. Wash the egg if you're worried.

What's this I hear about Cantaloupe now? Where does salmonella grow on a cantaloupe, all that wrinkly surface area on the outside rind?
If so, how did so many people get sick and die from it; from handling the exterior and then other things they ate?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

An observer posted:

Speaking of salmonella, I just got over a nasty case where it infected not only my intestinal tract but also my bladder and kidneys.

That was the worst drat thing ever ever ever.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

particle409 posted:

You could make an aillade. Take a handful of nuts (I like cashews, you may prefer walnut, or pistachio), and toast them lightly. Add them to the blender. Throw in a few spoons of light vinegar (like a white wine), and give the blender a few pulses until everything is broken up. Throw in the juice of a lemon, and blend until it breaks up even more. Then, bit by bit, drizzle in olive oil with the blender blending on low. It'll come right together wonderfully. :)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Aaronicon posted:

I've never even heard of non-egg based aioli before...

There are actualy several traditional Aioli versions that just consist of garlic and olive oil grinded into an emulsion with a mortar and pestle. No yolk at all.

Link

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 21, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DekeThornton posted:

There are actualy several traditional Aioli versions that just consist of garlic and olive oil grinded into an emulsion with a mortar and pestle. No yolk at all.

Link

For some reason, I had been led to believe that real aioli had no egg at all, but every recipe I find has it. But according to this article, the no yolk stuff is Spanish allioli, so I guess that explains why google wasn't helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For some reason, I had been led to believe that real aioli had no egg at all, but every recipe I find has it. But according to this article, the no yolk stuff is Spanish allioli, so I guess that explains why google wasn't helpful.

My impression was, traditionally real 'authentic' aioli didn't have yolk, but it got added in by people and because of how much easier it made the emulsion process it got pretty much included. There are still people out there that claim aioli without yolk isn't authentic, but its really just the evolution of the recipe.

But I might be completely wrong.