Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone actually had snail eggs successfully hatch and grow from baby snails to adult snails? :3: There are a bunch of these eggsacs in my tank right now.

Also, I have no idea what this thing is. My tank has been running for almost a year and a half (with a major move a few months ago) and I've never seen one; all of a sudden I notice at least 2 of them in my display tank. Some kind of weird purple shell-less bivalve?

For some reason finding something new in the tank that I have never seen before is one of my favorite parts of this hobby. That said, does anyone know what this is? Preliminary internet searches indicate that it's some kind of sponge?

Edit: okay definitely seems to be some kind of sea squirt/tunicate.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Those look like nerite eggcases, they have a free floating veliger form when hatched, and I don't think we really know what they need to feed on before they settle. Odds are slim.

And yes, some kind of tunicate.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Every few weeks I have lots of (I think) nassarius egg sacks on the glass, but I've got one or two very small cerith snails that roam the glass on occasion that I assume were born in the tank.

In my old tank, I used to have tons of ribbons of cerith eggs, but I've never actually seen a baby cerith. That tank was over-skimmed and had some agressive inhabitants, though.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I just had a very bad thing happen.

My tank has been up for over 2 years. It's been stable as hell, the corals have been doing well, branching off and growing, and the anemone keeping it's color and growing.

There is a bangaii cardinal, black damsel, 2 clowns, and a leopard wrasse.
Everything has been great, until I added 5 small green chromis fish.

They were slowly disappearing over the course of two weeks. It was last night I found that they were being sucked up by the filter and the surface protein skimmer.

I had 5 total, I found the bodies of 3 in the filter. poo poo. I feel bad. :(

I just came home, and found the cardinal had tried to eat a chromis fish. Not good. It was not swimming well, as really, the chromis is a good 1/3rd the size of the cardinal. NOT FOOD. Plus the cardinal fish are supposed to be peaceful. What the hell?

The cardinal with the chromis inside just floated over to the anenome, which gladly accepted the whole drat fish inside a fish thing as some sort of divine delicacy.

The anenome is pretty plump now.

I snapped a picture with my cell.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 9, 2012

SlaveTrader
Jan 12, 2003

*sigh* Those were the days...
I've never heard of Bangaii's eating other fish but the old rule of 'if it can fit in a fishies mouth then it will end up in a fishies mouth' seems to apply.

Look on the bright side! You won't have to feed the anemone this week....

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

SlaveTrader posted:

I've never heard of Bangaii's eating other fish but the old rule of 'if it can fit in a fishies mouth then it will end up in a fishies mouth' seems to apply.

Look on the bright side! You won't have to feed the anemone this week....

Pretty much!
I bought the anemone for the clowns a year ago. The anemone climbed over everything, sometimes knocking things over, before climbing half way up the front pane of glass and staying there forever.

The clownfish decided to live in the frogspawn.

Mad about fish. Never do what they're supposed to do.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I just had a very bad thing happen.]

Yeah that sounds rough man, sorry for your losses. Your post basically made me change my mind about getting an RBTA. I have a great spot in mind for one in my nano but I have a feeling it won't stay put.

Coral/fish warfare is nuts man! This poo poo happened a few weeks ago:

I was so loving bummed. Everyone I talked to about it was really surprised and the general consensus is that the clown was probably sick and weak (it was its first night), the maxi just capitalized on the situation.

Debbie Upper
Jul 27, 2012
I just screwed up.

A month ago I bought an established FOWLR 75 gallon aquarium. We successfully moved the tank into our home without the loss of any inhabitants. Our livestock includes: 1 snowflake moray eel, 1 juvenile koran angelfish, 1 hippo tang, 3 hermits, 1 sand shifting starfish, 1 pincushion, 1 long spined urchin, 1 mexican turbo snail, and 1 huge carpet anemone. Today was my first day to clean out the canister filter. I don't know what the model is, but it's a Magnum. Long story short, I forgot to empty the dirty water and inadvertantly pumped dirty filter water back into my tank... I hate myself. My husband is on the way to the LFS right now to pick up RO/DI for a 30% water change and a water testing. I have some marine buffer handy as I'm afraid the ph may have become acidic now, but I'm not sure yet. Did I just doom everybody in my tank? I'm crossing my fingers, but any other ideas on what I can do to save everyone would be greatly appreciated.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

visuvius posted:

Yeah that sounds rough man, sorry for your losses. Your post basically made me change my mind about getting an RBTA. I have a great spot in mind for one in my nano but I have a feeling it won't stay put.

Coral/fish warfare is nuts man! This poo poo happened a few weeks ago:

I was so loving bummed. Everyone I talked to about it was really surprised and the general consensus is that the clown was probably sick and weak (it was its first night), the maxi just capitalized on the situation.

Oh no, that poor clown! :(

Yeah, the anemone I think would be cool if I had a bigger tank. I only have a 50. Like one of my urchins is almost the size of a bowling ball. Zoas, mushrooms, and green star polyps took over a lot of the rockwork so I think that's why the anemone is where it is.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Debbie Upper posted:

I just screwed up.

A month ago I bought an established FOWLR 75 gallon aquarium. We successfully moved the tank into our home without the loss of any inhabitants. Our livestock includes: 1 snowflake moray eel, 1 juvenile koran angelfish, 1 hippo tang, 3 hermits, 1 sand shifting starfish, 1 pincushion, 1 long spined urchin, 1 mexican turbo snail, and 1 huge carpet anemone. Today was my first day to clean out the canister filter. I don't know what the model is, but it's a Magnum. Long story short, I forgot to empty the dirty water and inadvertantly pumped dirty filter water back into my tank... I hate myself. My husband is on the way to the LFS right now to pick up RO/DI for a 30% water change and a water testing. I have some marine buffer handy as I'm afraid the ph may have become acidic now, but I'm not sure yet. Did I just doom everybody in my tank? I'm crossing my fingers, but any other ideas on what I can do to save everyone would be greatly appreciated.

I have done that before, it looks disgusting, but it should be fine. It will clear up pretty fast. Do a water change(you don't need to do a huge one) but don't start freaking out and screwing with the water chemistry, even if it doesn't test right.

Anything in that filter will already have gone through the while ammonia-nitrate cycle. Nitrates aren't super dangerous, they just cause algae growth.

Debbie Upper
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the peace of mind. The owner of the fish store told my husband that he had done that in his own tank as well and it cleared right up. We just did the usual water change and it's already starting to look better. There seem to be tons and tons of copepods swimming around now though, interestingly enough. Even see those tiny hydroid jellies popped up everywhere.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.

Debbie Upper posted:

Thanks for the peace of mind. The owner of the fish store told my husband that he had done that in his own tank as well and it cleared right up. We just did the usual water change and it's already starting to look better. There seem to be tons and tons of copepods swimming around now though, interestingly enough. Even see those tiny hydroid jellies popped up everywhere.

Really not much different than what happens to mine if you shut the return off for any length of time... and you were only pumping water FROM the tank originally so it'd likely be fine unless you had some massive decaying junk in there.

This weekend is my big move over for my 65 gallon into the new 110! Wish me luck!

Here are most of the goodies to go in the stand/tank minus the pile of sand and salt containers. I didn't get my Apex in time though so I'm gonna have to figure out what to do with my lights... don't want them blasting and my old T5 fixture isn't long enough:

MKLKT fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Debbie Upper posted:

These things?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Well the past week and a half has had a few ups and downs. Firstly i got my first coral frag from my boss, I can't remember what he said it was for the life of me tho.

Second we had a death in the tank. My skunk cleaner decided to molt and it didn't work out very well. He didn't make it and the nassarius snails decided to give him a proper burial. You can see his whiskers coming out of the sand in the corner

The next day i noticed this little guy climbing across the glass

I have no clue where the hell he came from, he likes to hide around the overflow.

Also my nitrates are finally on the decline. I hooked up one of the reactors I ordered and am running Dr. Tim's active pearls in it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

Well the past week and a half has had a few ups and downs. Firstly i got my first coral frag from my boss, I can't remember what he said it was for the life of me tho.

Second we had a death in the tank. My skunk cleaner decided to molt and it didn't work out very well. He didn't make it and the nassarius snails decided to give him a proper burial. You can see his whiskers coming out of the sand in the corner

The next day i noticed this little guy climbing across the glass

I have no clue where the hell he came from, he likes to hide around the overflow.

Also my nitrates are finally on the decline. I hooked up one of the reactors I ordered and am running Dr. Tim's active pearls in it.

Congrats on your new tank. The coral looks like a green star polyp (GSP). Good beginner coral but be careful as it can grow like a weed. If possible have it on a rock that is isolated from the rest, that way it doesn't grow all over.

In regards to the shrimp, are you sure he is dead? The molts can look very much like dead bodies, and sometimes the shrimp will hide for a day or two after he molts. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Cleaner shrimp do not have the longest lifespans (couple of years, max), and it may have been caught towards the end of it. As long as your ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you acclimated him properly, that's the best you can do. I would suggest turning the lights off for 4-6 hours after you introduce something into your tank as well, to give them a chance to calm down.

That looks like an astrae starfish, sans a leg. Perfectly acceptable hitchhiker. I think most tanks end up with them. Wouldn't worry about the loss of leg, they tend to regenerate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

That looks like an astrae starfish, sans a leg. Perfectly acceptable hitchhiker. I think most tanks end up with them. Wouldn't worry about the loss of leg, they tend to regenerate.

Note that they have been known to take a chomp out of corals like zoanthids, so if you'd like to nip this in the bud, get rid of them as you see them. I've successfully eliminated an infestation of them in my tank with a couple harlequin shrimp (only eats tube-footed sea stars, so pass them on to somebody else when they're done).

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Internet Explorer posted:

Congrats on your new tank. The coral looks like a green star polyp (GSP). Good beginner coral but be careful as it can grow like a weed. If possible have it on a rock that is isolated from the rest, that way it doesn't grow all over.

In regards to the shrimp, are you sure he is dead? The molts can look very much like dead bodies, and sometimes the shrimp will hide for a day or two after he molts. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Cleaner shrimp do not have the longest lifespans (couple of years, max), and it may have been caught towards the end of it. As long as your ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you acclimated him properly, that's the best you can do. I would suggest turning the lights off for 4-6 hours after you introduce something into your tank as well, to give them a chance to calm down.

Oh he is very much dead. His molt was stuck to the powerhead while the snails did their little burial service. No biggie I plan on getting another in a week or two. I havent decided what I'm going to do with that star. I might just leave him for the time being. If they start becoming an issue I will start sucking them out on water changes.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Has anyone here successfully bred sexy shrimp?

SlaveTrader
Jan 12, 2003

*sigh* Those were the days...

Henchman 21 posted:

Oh he is very much dead. His molt was stuck to the powerhead while the snails did their little burial service. No biggie I plan on getting another in a week or two. I havent decided what I'm going to do with that star. I might just leave him for the time being. If they start becoming an issue I will start sucking them out on water changes.

Be careful with the asterina starfish. They multiply like mad especially if they decide to start chomping on zoas.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

api call girl posted:

Note that they have been known to take a chomp out of corals like zoanthids, so if you'd like to nip this in the bud, get rid of them as you see them. I've successfully eliminated an infestation of them in my tank with a couple harlequin shrimp (only eats tube-footed sea stars, so pass them on to somebody else when they're done).

SlaveTrader posted:

Be careful with the asterina starfish. They multiply like mad especially if they decide to start chomping on zoas.

I didn't know about this. :v:

Welp, I've only seen one or two and they seem pretty easy to get rid of. Hopefully they don't get into a population explosion. If I see any I will be sure to take them out. Thanks for the heads up.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I know there are probably a million different reasons for this, but does anyone have an idea as to why my zoanthids haven't been opening up the last few days? It's a largish rock that is covered with watermelon zoanthids and it was great for the last several weeks but for the last few days, very few of the polyps have been opening.

I did find and pull out 4 tiny nudibranch about a week ago. I think they came in on one smallish Zoa rock that I bought. I sucked the nudis out and dipped the affected rock in freshwater. The watermelon rock that is currently not opening was fine during that whole experience. The wife and I have been scanning the hell out of everything looking for more nudis but I haven't seen a thing.

I'm on top of my water parameters so I don't think it's related to that -- nitrates, Alk and calcium have been on point. I need to buy a magnesium test kit but I can't imagine it would be that either. Today is the worst (most closed) I've seen it. The temp did hit 82 today when it's normally 77-79, but it was brought back down after a few hours.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I posted this in the general aquarium thread, but I didn't realize there was a saltwater specific thread floating around, so I was directed here.

My friend and roommate has an empty 8 gallon nanocube that he wants set up but he's basically giving me free reign to do as I please with it. I have over 10 years experience with freshwater, but I already have 2 freshwater tanks in my house and I think I finally want to take it to the next level and give marine a try.

I can buy RO filtered saltwater from the Seattle Aquarium for like, $0.05/gal, so I might just fill up buckets and store them so I don't have to buy a lot of aquarium salt. I know I have to look into getting live sand and live rock and I know several LFS that sell the stuff. What kind of price range am I looking for with that? How much would I need for the 8 gallon? The tank didn't come with a protein skimmer, do I need one if I don't plan on having any fish?

Also, I know next to nothing about marine, so what kind of tutorials or articles would you all recommend. Any starter tips? I want to do a reef tank probably, with corals and inverts but not fish. My friend was thinking maybe anemones and a single clownfish, but I worry about the bioload with having a fish in such a small tank. The tank comes equiped with one 10,000k bulb, and one actinic blue.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
You don't need a skimmer, in a NC8 (JBJ?) you have back chambers you can put chemical filtration media in (I recommend a packed bag of activated carbon and a packed bag of aluminum oxide--ferric oxide is too much of a hassle without a dedicated reactor chamber). Between those and heavy water changes you can manage an anemone of some kind (small bubble tip) with a clown.

Do not store pre-made saltwater for any length of time. You need to keep each bucket aerated with a powerhead/airstone for it to remain useful. You will also need to store RO/DI water for topoffs between water changes--this is essential to maintaining salinity levels.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

api call girl posted:

You don't need a skimmer, in a NC8 (JBJ?) you have back chambers you can put chemical filtration media in (I recommend a packed bag of activated carbon and a packed bag of aluminum oxide--ferric oxide is too much of a hassle without a dedicated reactor chamber). Between those and heavy water changes you can manage an anemone of some kind (small bubble tip) with a clown.

Do not store pre-made saltwater for any length of time. You need to keep each bucket aerated with a powerhead/airstone for it to remain useful. You will also need to store RO/DI water for topoffs between water changes--this is essential to maintaining salinity levels.

Is that true?

For my 8gal at work, I buy 5gal at a time and use about a gallon a week. So the last one has been sitting for 5 weeks. Haven't had any issues yet!

And on that note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJvosiAJPQ

I'm on vacation from work this week, so I stopped into the office to feed the fish and check on the tank/show my boss how to feed me goby, and this happened.

Well, looks like I'm going back on Thursday to do a water change because there's not enough fish/coral to clean up that mess.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

Is that true?

For my 8gal at work, I buy 5gal at a time and use about a gallon a week. So the last one has been sitting for 5 weeks. Haven't had any issues yet!

I'm probably being overzealous.

quote:

And on that note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJvosiAJPQ

I'm on vacation from work this week, so I stopped into the office to feed the fish and check on the tank/show my boss how to feed me goby, and this happened.

Well, looks like I'm going back on Thursday to do a water change because there's not enough fish/coral to clean up that mess.

More like, free stomatella snails!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I figured all that :gizz: in an 8gal would be havoc on the system if they died haha. Also, I just noticed I spelled stomatella wrong on youtube. Oh well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I was bored and stumbled upon this post on ReefCentral about using a laser to zap apitasia.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2090418

Considering I was about to spend $100 on Berghia Nudibranches on LiveAquaria, I figured I'd spring for a $120 laser to give it a shot. I have 2 tanks that have way too much apitasia and my girlfriend has been nagging me to get her a laser anyways.

Ended up getting this - http://lazerer.com/Blue_Laser_Pointer/LZCS%20445nm%201W%20Classic%20Focusable%20Blue%20Laser%20Water%20Proof

Waterproof and powerful enough to kill the apitasia from outside the tank. I also ordered 2 sets of laser safety goggles to go with it.

Will let you guys know how it works out...

[Edit: Well, it looks like they basically accept either a Paypal account linked credit card or a Western Union money transfer, and there is no way I am using either of those. Going to try to find a similar thing from someone else.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 19, 2012

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
I confess, I haven't read that thread, but a 1000 mW laser is insanely powerful. I imagine it would be very effective. It's good that you're getting the laser safety googles as you will absolutely need them. My only concern is if you're using it from outside the tank, what's to stop a stray reflection from the glass heading into a fish's eye? From what I understand, a laser with that kind of power is capable of permanently blinding you in an instant.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
And i thought majano wands were extreme! Yeah I'd be worried about the other livestock in that tank.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That was my main concern as well, since my girlfriend and I will be wearing safety glasses. Basically my thoughts are to do it at a downward angle or to try to match the angle of the rock. And to wait until the fish are not near the area. The only thing it should really be reflecting off of is the glass.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
You said it was water proof? Why kill from outside just because you can? Seems like you'd end up with less safety and less accuracy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

You said it was water proof? Why kill from outside just because you can? Seems like you'd end up with less safety and less accuracy.

The one I was originally looking at is waterproof, but while I have heard good things about that company I don't want to pay through a Paypal account or Western Union. We'll see.

Going through the glass shouldn't really add all that much difficulty, less safety, or less accuracy.

[Edit: I mean, if you are doing it at a semi-direct angle it really shouldn't be direct reflecting off the glass.]

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
I guess if you have one of those dirt cheap 1mw red laser pens, you could try it from the outside to see what kind of reflections you'd get and at what angles (still being careful that your livestock aren't near). I imagine having the laser pressed flush/perpendicular to the glass would minimise reflections. Another way would be to put the laser inside a clear and waterproof ziplock bag and then blast the aiptasia point-blank, inside the tank.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I imagine that would melt a bit of the ziplock bag in the tank.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, Lazerer's customer service responded to my email and apparently they do allow for purchases via Credit Card through PayPal, without needs a PayPal account. Looks like delivery is going to be a few weeks, but I'll be sure to update the thread. :)

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
My snail eggs are more developed!

Here's a picture of an eggsac laid at the same time about 12 days ago:

What's gonna happen to my little snail babies? :ohdear:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Anony Mouse posted:

What's gonna happen to my little snail babies? :ohdear:

Probably become tiny chicken nuggets, but they are still neat!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Pukestain Pal posted:

Probably become tiny chicken nuggets, but they are still neat!

Mmmmm, escargot.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm surprised to see everyone saying the snails are goners. My tank is only about a year and a half old but I have several generations of snails going. They look pretty similar to that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Snails are awesome. I even got some in my tank with out me knowing. Exchanged some live sand with a friend. Couple months later starting seeing Nassarius snails in the tank I never bought. Now they come out every night out of the sand to clean the tank. Some of the inverts I got are my favorite things in have in the tank. My moving turd of a sea hare is pretty awesome. He gets moved between the main tank and the refug if the main tank doesn't have anything for him to eat. It's so cool to see him slide around munching on things.

• Locked thread