Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Wow, crazy, we started playing like that because it seemed to make the most sense- Opinion Maker is pretty pointless if you don't play like that.

Not exactly. It forces one person to openly pre-vote before everyone else selects their cards. People may change their votes based on what the Opinion Maker initially does.

It also has the potential for conflict if the Opinion Maker makes a vote people disagree with. It also can make for some really fun strategy arguments before the main voting round, especially if the person holding it is a known or suspected spy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'll have to try playing the correct way the next time we get together, but I still think secret communal team vote works and doesn't nullify or weaken any of the plot cards. We've played a majority of our games that way and it worked out great.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Wow, crazy, we started playing like that because it seemed to make the most sense- Opinion Maker is pretty pointless if you don't play like that.

Edit: Oh, I see, everybody DOES vote secretly, only you show what your vote was in sequence, unless you have Opinion Maker.

We started playing everyone voting publicly, but then it seemed to easy and the guy who owns the game checked the rules and said it was private, which made sense to me - that will teach me to trust other people's interpretation of the rules. loving spies.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

coeranys posted:

We started playing everyone voting publicly, but then it seemed to easy and the guy who owns the game checked the rules and said it was private, which made sense to me - that will teach me to trust other people's interpretation of the rules. loving spies.

It's a private vote with a public reveal. Everyone selects their vote card and places it face down in front of them. Once everyone's cards are down, everyone flips their card over at the same time to reveal.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

It's a private vote with a public reveal.

Wow - we've played it wrong.. a lot and for a long time. It works the way we played it (secret votes on teams), but I look forward to trying out the, uh, actual rules.

Thanks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I have a question for the people who have played Descent 2. Does the Overlord have to "hold back," like a DM? Like would the game be terrible/unfun (for the players) if the Overlord played as cutthroat as possible, or was the game design intended for the Overlord to be as ruthless as the players would undoubtedly be?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Don't think of it as DM vs. PC, think of it as Player 1 vs. Players 2-5. The Overlord has no inherent advantages that you should be downplaying.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Lorini posted:

It's a good design but there's no random factors. This isn't necessarily a problem overall, but when it's a two player game, with few moving parts, there's just not much re-playability.

Thanks, thats good to know. We still get plenty of action out of regular Agricola, so I'll pass on this one for now.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I have a question for the people who have played Descent 2. Does the Overlord have to "hold back," like a DM? Like would the game be terrible/unfun (for the players) if the Overlord played as cutthroat as possible, or was the game design intended for the Overlord to be as ruthless as the players would undoubtedly be?

Not in my experience. I've played only the first three encounters, all as the Overlord, and while going all out they still won, even though I felt I was playing my cards and minions optimally.

I'm sure to make it fair for my players by ensuring, at any given point, that they're aware of all their options and board conditions, and suggest good moves for them to make.

But when it's my turn, it's all out offence.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Descent 2 OL is way weaker than the first edition's. You can play cutthroat without worrying.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Speaking of The Resistance, how are the plot cards? My group must've played 30-something games by now and we've never actually used them. We usually have a good split between Resistance/Spy wins in larger groups, so my group's never really felt the need to include them.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Plot cards don't add much and I usually play without.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pierzak posted:

Descent 2 OL is way weaker than the first edition's. You can play cutthroat without worrying.

That's a relief. I always think the "one-versus-many" games should be balanced slightly in the favour of the "many" - that way most people still get to win, but it's still close.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DontMockMySmock posted:

Plot cards don't add much and I usually play without.

No way, plot cards are loving awesome and add the potential for more conflict and lying. Spy gets to look at a resistance member's identity? Finger the resistance as a spy and sow distrust! Or tell the truth and say "yeah she's legit" and now you're in good with her.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SilverMike posted:

Don't think of it as DM vs. PC, think of it as Player 1 vs. Players 2-5. The Overlord has no inherent advantages that you should be downplaying.

Yeah, 2nd Edition Descent is much better about making it clear that this is not an RPG and the Overlord is not a DM equivalent. It's best to look at Descent the same way you'd look at a game like Last Night on Earth. The Overlord is just another player on a different team (which happens to only have one player on it). If you're holding back or treating your role as any different from any other role then you're probably making the game less fun for everyone. The Overlord should be trying to win as much as anyone else.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

No way, plot cards are loving awesome and add the potential for more conflict and lying. Spy gets to look at a resistance member's identity? Finger the resistance as a spy and sow distrust! Or tell the truth and say "yeah she's legit" and now you're in good with her.

Agreed -- I find base Resistance a little blase uninteresting (just like I find Mafia a little blase uninteresting), but add the Plot cards and it's great.

VVVV: Thanks for the correction. For the record, one meaning of "blase" is "uninterested," so I wasn't completely crazy. :)

werdnam fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 21, 2012

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

werdnam posted:

Agreed -- I find base Resistance a little blase (just like I find Mafia a little blase), but add the Plot cards and it's great.

I don't think you're using that word correctly. How can a game be bored with life?

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

As a spy, I strung along one of my friends SO hard one game, it was epic. And it was all lying around those plot cards and piling on one other dude. When Resistance is good, it's the best.

And as far as spy/resistance win ratio, spies have probably won about 70% of the time for us.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Warhammer Quest iOS port was announced:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=3600036-gws
http://rodeogames.co.uk/warhammer-quest/

May be a good option for those unable/unwilling to drop $200+ on the original.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

After resistance-chat here, I've come to a few conclusions.

(1) We're playing the game "correctly".
(2) My gaming group involves a married couple, me and my gf, and a couple other friends, and collectively (except my gf) we've gamed together for over two years now.
(3) Hence, while we can do some baseline lying/bluffing as spies, we don't have the ability to call someone a spy and maintain that insistence regularly without the rest of the group picking up on tells easily to discern who's actually lying.

Spies won in 6 player often if they could sabotage mission 2, because mission 3 is super-easy to sabotage (4 players out of 6? It's a sab outside of really good luck) and that leaves a pretty good shot at sabbing either 4 or 5.

In 7 player though? Leaving it 2-3-3 has made it too easy to either get lucky, confirm people, or use logic with confirmation chains in combination with reading each other really well to pick out winning teams. The hardest round sounds like the 5th, when you NEED the perfect team, and that's never come up.

If up/down votes were secret, I could see more contention and secret downvotes by spies and town alike. However, we're so built on conformity and appearing town that it just never happens as is. We MIGHT have to start houseruling if things don't change.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Does anyone have any opinions on the new FFG X-wing game? Im not sure if this is technically the correct thread for it, but Im super geeked about it and want to talk to anyone who played it at gencon, etc.

Heres a youtube of a demo for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6RiyNb_UwE

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lawen posted:

Warhammer Quest iOS port was announced:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=3600036-gws
http://rodeogames.co.uk/warhammer-quest/

May be a good option for those unable/unwilling to drop $200+ on the original.

Do you think this increases the odds of a Space Hulk style reprint? I love my copy and actually just started playing it again, but I would love to have all the expansion characters, treasure packs, and adventures.

It's absolutely the most thematic and fun co-op game I've ever played, and there's so much material for the campaign game that you could never exhaust it.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Pander posted:

(3) Hence, while we can do some baseline lying/bluffing as spies, we don't have the ability to call someone a spy and maintain that insistence regularly without the rest of the group picking up on tells easily to discern who's actually lying.
Man, every game should involve people shouting that someone's a "loving spy" at the drop of a hat, then later redacting it when any miniscule piece of evidence to the contrary arises.

Maybe houserule it to the way I've played it, where team votes are voted on secretly and in a pile, then the total outcome is revealed- it's tougher, but it sounds like that might be the extra layer of difficulty your group needs to give the spies the extra push in 7 player games.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 19, 2013

The General
Mar 4, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on the new FFG X-wing game? Im not sure if this is technically the correct thread for it, but Im super geeked about it and want to talk to anyone who played it at gencon, etc.

Looks pretty cool. I like Silent Death better for space battles.

Edit: Or Full Trust.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

PaintVagrant posted:

There was a time when I would have built a squadron of TIE Interceptors (the greatest starfighter ever designed) to take on all comers. I've learned the lesson often enough that there are no comers to take on, and I'm just pissing money away. So I'll be doing that with Netrunner instead.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Poopy Palpy posted:

There was a time when I would have built a squadron of TIE Interceptors (the greatest starfighter ever designed) to take on all comers. I've learned the lesson often enough that there are no comers to take on, and I'm just pissing money away. So I'll be doing that with Netrunner instead.

Supposedly tie interceptors/A-wings are the next release cycle.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Poopy Palpy posted:

If anyone plays Wings of War in your area there'll probably be an audience for this.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Man, every game should involve people shouting that someone's a "loving spy" at the drop of a hat, then later redacting it when any miniscule piece of evidence to the contrary arises.

Still the funnest thing I have ever done in Resistance was silently and without saying a word convince everyone that the most trustworthy and "unable-to-lie" person of the group was the spy. Her almost ashamed protests made it even better.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
If anyone's interested in playing Tigris & Euphrates play-by-post, I've just started a thread in PBP. We welcome as many players as possible.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I got an email from CSI today advertising Antiquity:1050-1620. It sounds interesting, but holy cow it's $160. Anyone know why it's so expensive? And, more to the point, is it worth it? It looks like it's been around for awhile.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

werdnam posted:

I got an email from CSI today advertising Antiquity:1050-1620. It sounds interesting, but holy cow it's $160. Anyone know why it's so expensive? And, more to the point, is it worth it? It looks like it's been around for awhile.

I got mine for $120 around 4 years ago. I didn't think the guy who spent $350 a couple years ago got ripped off. It's a fantastic game, though fiddly with tons of chits everywhere.

opks22
Dec 12, 2003

Something wicked this way comes.

It's a splotter game so generally they are more expensive than others, new they are $100. They are printed in small, limited print runs hence why they tend to be hard to find and keep their value. That being said, I bought my copy from gamesurplus about a month ago for $125. It's still worth it at $160, it really is a great game. Before the reprint, copies were ~$300+ as stated above. Currently, Roads & Boats is on its way there - currently at $175-250. I am trying to procure a copy, but will probably wait for a reprint.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I will sacrifice people to my heathen gods for a Roads and Boats reprint. Also, desperately need a copy of Duck Dealer.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
The nice thing about Antiquity and Splotter games in general is it's only the components, no storage or packing material at all so everything, so everything comes pre-punched since it's just rattling around in the box.

3 hours of sorting components :negative:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I know that I have a fairly sensible board game budget, but the fact that I just put in an order at coolstuffinc that kicks me in to the 3% discount tier is a bit disconcerting nonetheless. $1000 is a lot of money, even if it took 3 years to accumulate.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 19, 2013

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So the last game of 18XX I had (1848) had me discussing with my group how games play when people are experienced as opposed to when they have just played for the first time. The main problem with 1848 was that it felt very scripted once everyone knew the best strategies and since only a few strategies were optimal within the game. The first time we played the game, however, we had a great time.

This seems to happen to a lot of board games: initially they can be exciting and fun but once the group-think stage is met or everyone has figured out the strategy, the game becomes boring because the excitement of unfamiliarity gets taken over by almost mechanical adherence to a set tactic. Most games try to avoid this by having a large degree of randomness and thus not making it possible to follow set patterns through the game, but then again adding too much randomness can spoil the game for some.

There are some games in which the above can be used to good effect: for example, beginner games of Twilight Struggle tend to be pretty random affairs, while experienced players that know the cards in play will have a much more dramatic, close game because of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why are the cards that come with The New Frontier not the same size as the cards from Space Alert? Am I not supposed to mix them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Rudy Riot posted:

Are any of you enjoying Agricola Big & Small? I haven't tried it yet, but already having regular Agricola, I'm wondering if it's worth picking up. We don't play a ton of 'gric, but we enjoy it enough.

I got it a couple of weeks ago and have played it a couple of times with my wife. She loves it because it primarily involves animals. It is almost exactly Agricola minus occupations, minor improvements, fields/gain/veggies, family growth, and food. New things include the ability to buy more land and the necessity of buying fences before installing them. There are less major improvements (and they aren't called that) that are entirely different also, since food isn't a worry. They are essentially ways of upgrading stables (feeding troughs) and keeping more animals.

Scoring is almost the same, but obviously it is simpler. I just say the more animals you have, the higher your score.

Also, as a bonus, you can use the animal pieces in the main game of Agricola too.

I would say that if you like Agricola, but want it to play in half the time, get Big and Small. We enjoy Agricola, so we enjoy the 'lite' version.

• Locked thread