Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Jace Madan posted:

I picked up the Leo and Raph figures based on the new show, and they are great. I love the cool skin texturing, and they have just the right smount of articulation.

I picked up the four turtle bros the other day (first action figures I've bought in ages) and they are really awesome little toys. My favorite thing about them is they don't all have the same build; Leonardo looks athletic, Donatello is tall and skinny, Raphael is squat and burly, and Michelangelo is just a little guy. It's subtle - you wouldn't necessarily notice it looking at them individually, but you line them up and there's some nice variation. The sculpting on all four is excellent, articulation is decent, colors are well-chosen... I'm just really impressed with the overall design aesthetic.

My only complaint is that Mike's nunchucks are made out of a rigid plastic where the chain won't flex at all without breaking, so display options are limited and you can't stow them properly on his belt. Otherwise the accessories are really impressive for all of them. Like Leo's offhand sword is slightly smaller, and Raph can hold a sai in several different positions. The little snap-off weapon racks included with each are a nice callback to the original figures.

These guys aren't like museum quality $200 collector's items or anything but they're fun as hell and you just wanna play with 'em. It's toys like these that make me love toys.

P.S. I was not impressed with any of the supporting characters / villains. Shredder was such a goddamn turd I'm surprised he came from the same line. Splinter looked kinda OK I guess, but I'm just gonna stick to the four turtles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was super-tempted by the Kraang I saw at Wal-mart just because he looked so neat and the little brain bit was adorable with the tentacle-arms flopping around, and the robot looked pretty cool. I watched the Optibotimus review for him and he's apparently got total garbage articulation and doesn't stand well, which is really unfortunate. I'll be passing on him for sure unless I see him on mega-clearance or something.

I was a big TMNT fan as a kid, I remember having all 4 turtles and the pizza-launching vehicle thing. I don't remember having any villains for them to fight, I think they just fought a lot of my Ghostbusters ghosts and stuff.
I'm not as big of a TMNT fan nowadays. The new toys look cool and the nostalgia factor makes me fondly remember spending hours with my friends messing around with our TMNT toys, but I'm not really feeling the urge to buy the new stuff.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Xenomrph posted:

Watched the Optibotimus review for the new TMNT sewer playset, and I can safely say that while I don't care to own it as an adult, if that thing had existed when I was a kid I would have wanted it more than anything in the universe. I would have begged my parents to get it for me, and then pissed myself with glee if they actually bought it. It's loving gigantic, and it looks like infinite hours of fun for kids.

I remember having the old Real Ghostbusters firehouse playset as a kid, goddamn was that thing loving awesome.

You know, I always said that the Ghostbusters firehouse was the coolest playset of all time, but I think it's just been knocked off its throne and kicked down a flight of stairs. That is like something straight out of the 1980's. They just don't make stuff like this anymore. I'm kind of amazed that something like this exists in the year 2012.

Pretty much the only thing that gives this any competition is the U.S.S. Flagg, which I've never seen in person in my life.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm more confident of seeing the actual Ark of the Covenant in person than I am the U.S.S. Flagg.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Kid down the street from me had it when I was 11. I won't call him a rich kid (because we weren't in a rich neighborhood), but he could pretty much do roll call on the deck of the USS Flagg that took up their entire spare bedroom.

Corky Kraptrucker
Oct 12, 2006
Being out of your box isn't a right. It's a privilege.
Man, forget the bigger cartoon-inspired TMNT figures, the Nickelodeon figures are the best representations of the characters to date. They're extraordinarily expressive and detailed for only being eight bucks. Don is my favorite because he looks like a stone-cold badass for some reason and he's all tall and gawky. Mikey's the worst only because his nunchucks aren't flexible at all.

The rest of the figures look pretty awful. Hopefully each wave will have four figures of really high quality like this one. You gotta have bendable knees on Shredder, dudes... he's a ninja.

I don't really but that many toys but I'm nuts about these guys.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Gammatron 64 posted:

Pretty much the only thing that gives this any competition is the U.S.S. Flagg, which I've never seen in person in my life.

I have one that's about about 90% complete. Picked it up off eBay for right about $150 (including shipping). I only picked it up for that cheap cause there were no instructions and just a general picture of the pieces that the auction came with on the listing.

So, yay for that.

The only bad thing is, I have no way to display it ever unless I become mega-rich. x-x;

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Nilryna posted:

I have one that's about about 90% complete. Picked it up off eBay for right about $150 (including shipping). I only picked it up for that cheap cause there were no instructions and just a general picture of the pieces that the auction came with on the listing.

So, yay for that.

The only bad thing is, I have no way to display it ever unless I become mega-rich. x-x;

gently caress you. gently caress you.

Then again, I am the bane of some people's existence with some of my insanely good Transformer deals, so it's all good. $75 Scorponok. $60 complete Devastator. $15 Chromedome, mint complete. $15 mint complete Blurr. $5 Nightbeat with his head. $15 Trypticon.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Then again, I am the bane of some people's existence with some of my insanely good Transformer deals, so it's all good. $75 Scorponok. $60 complete Devastator. $15 Chromedome, mint complete. $15 mint complete Blurr. $5 Nightbeat with his head. $15 Trypticon.

Botcon 2006 Box Set, $200, complete and mint, in the year of our lord 2010. *mike drop*

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Complete Black Zarak, 75 bucks. *shrugs*

also argghhh you fuckers this is exactly what I don't need to be looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-GI-G-I...=item3a76c23505

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Corky Kraptrucker posted:

Man, forget the bigger cartoon-inspired TMNT figures, the Nickelodeon figures are the best representations of the characters to date. They're extraordinarily expressive and detailed for only being eight bucks. Don is my favorite because he looks like a stone-cold badass for some reason and he's all tall and gawky. Mikey's the worst only because his nunchucks aren't flexible at all.

The rest of the figures look pretty awful. Hopefully each wave will have four figures of really high quality like this one. You gotta have bendable knees on Shredder, dudes... he's a ninja.

I don't really but that many toys but I'm nuts about these guys.

I am really excited about these, turtles were my big thing as a kid when transformers kind of took a break between G1 and G2.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Gammatron 64 posted:

The sucky thing about actually getting my Flagg, which was my holiest of holy grails, was that once I got it I basically stopped with my collection. Nowhere to go from that point but WAY the gently caress down on the list.

I did come away from the hobby with a Terrordrome, Flagg, Rolling Thunder, and then the Mobile Command Center, The General, and the Defiant that I had from childhood--plus all the figures and other vehicles.

I kinda wanna bring out everything so I can take a picture now. It's kind of an impressive collection, if I do say so myself.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
The Flagg was THE "my dick is bigger than yours" toy of the 80's.

Every one of my friends was SO jealous. I'd call them over to play Joes and it was the best feeling ever to be like "OK, this is my base...I guess you can set your guys up over there or something" :smug: x 1000000

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had two friends who owned it but one of them was a huge tool and his house smelled like cat piss so we never went over there.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The only USS Flag I saw was one that had Fortress maximus, Trypticon, Metroplex, G1 Scorponok, and G1 Omega Supreme riding on it.

They were configured in such a way so it would resemble the SDF-1. Fort max was in base mode on the top, metroplex and Scorponok were in their vehicle forms off to the side, and Omega surpeme was in robot mode. They were also fighting the Apatosaurus and T-Rex from Dino Riders on the other table with the Technodrome(that we called the base)

Probably the most expensive spectacle in plastic I have ever seen.

I belive there was a re-issue a few years ago, because I remember passing boxes and boxes of large G1 Joe Aircraft carriers. I couldn't justify dropping 200 bucks or having something of that size unless I could make it a coffee table.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 25, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I never needed any of that GI Joe bullshit. I had every single North American released MOTU toy including the Eternia Towers set.

I had nearly everything in that picture plus a shitload more. When I had my poo poo all set up I was the king of saturday afternoon.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Vaerai Archon posted:

I belive there was a re-issue a few years ago, because I remember passing boxes and boxes of large G1 Joe Aircraft carriers. I couldn't justify dropping 200 bucks or having something of that size unless I could make it a coffee table.

There's never been a reissue.

No matter how much the sculptors and fans want it, the powers-that-be have said it isn't marketable. Especially with the price that oil is fetching right now, it makes the price point that much more undesirable.

I'd love to see it, but no store will stock a toy box that takes up a quarter of the aisle, and no parent is going to buy a coffee table of a toy.

With that said, I miss the 80's. =\

I also miss XPanders, Sky Commanders, Centurions, MASK, Army Gear, Computer Warriors, and all the other awesome toys that did things. Now, all the kids play with tops that have dragons drawn on them, and toss them into a cheap loving bowl to see who wins... :geno:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

sba posted:

The Flagg was THE "my dick is bigger than yours" toy of the 80's.

Every one of my friends was SO jealous. I'd call them over to play Joes and it was the best feeling ever to be like "OK, this is my base...I guess you can set your guys up over there or something" :smug: x 1000000

If I got one I would literally kick one of my girls out of her bedroom and bunk her up with her sister, so I could use her room to build a giant centerpiece to display it, with recessed lighting at all angles meant to spotlight it.

(Not really- but it's tempting enough that I probably don't need to get one)

Also I'm kinda jealous. The ultimate TF toy was Fortress Maximus, and he's a big ugly useless brick. TFs have had some real collector dreams but nothing on the ultimate gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU scale of the USS Flagg.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

And let's admit it- if the next SDCC exclusive was a USS Flagg remold named "Broadside", with a giant Autobot logo on the landing deck and a 1,499.00 price point, it'd sell out instantly

And I'd probably buy one

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rhyno posted:

Well I never needed any of that GI Joe bullshit. I had every single North American released MOTU toy including the Eternia Towers set.

I had nearly everything in that picture plus a shitload more. When I had my poo poo all set up I was the king of saturday afternoon.

They made a figure of Orko's uncle??!

How did Lizard Man never get a toy?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

GD_American posted:

And let's admit it- if the next SDCC exclusive was a USS Flagg remold named "Broadside", with a giant Autobot logo on the landing deck and a 1,499.00 price point, it'd sell out instantly

And I'd probably buy one

I had a hard enough time getting the 4 ft long helicarrier home from SDCC this year and I drove. In fact, I was able to get it on Saturday afternoon when there was no line for Hasbro at all.

I still think a 7ft long Flagg would probably sell out, but I think due to the nature of SDCC (that most people fly into it), I don't think it would sell out quickly at all.

I will say though, that helicarrier made an amazing battering ram to actually get through the exhibit hall with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Red posted:

They made a figure of Orko's uncle??!

How did Lizard Man never get a toy?

That guy has a few customs in his photo. And I believe Lizardman was owned by Filmation.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rhyno posted:

That guy has a few customs in his photo. And I believe Lizardman was owned by Filmation.

But I think Lizardman is getting a toy in the 2013 sub.

Sadly what the Classics line needs more of is vehicles, beasts, and bases.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vaerai Archon posted:

They've licensed Filmation characters for the new line, back then it wasn't happening.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Vaerai Archon posted:

You are thinking of Fang Man.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Rhyno posted:

They've licensed Filmation characters for the new line, back then it wasn't happening.

They've paid for licensing in spite of the fact that the line is constantly on the verge of death unless you buy 3 subscriptions. Those brave soldiers. :911:

Jaxpunk
May 1, 2003
You'll never understand, don't try.

GD_American posted:

Kid down the street from me had it when I was 11. I won't call him a rich kid (because we weren't in a rich neighborhood), but he could pretty much do roll call on the deck of the USS Flagg that took up their entire spare bedroom.

I had one growing up, some shithead my mom was dating used to buy me and my sister toys to impress us. I slept a few times on the deck of that big bastard.

gregday
May 23, 2003

So those previous pictures I posted weren't actually my speargun as I didn't have it yet. I got it last Saturday and after opening the box I just could not stop laughing at how loving badass it is. It's about 3 pounds of cold steel, and it's so hard not to just walk around the house going P-SHHHEWW! at stuff. I'm probably going to wear out the click-lock connector from continually snapping it together and breaking it back apart.

Any time the awesomeness starts to wear off, I just remember this fucker is basically fan made and milled by hand (no cast parts) and there's fewer than 25 out there.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

What do you guys think is the best articulated Batman action figure out there?

In other news, Marvel Legends Mystique wave seems to be hitting shelves...slowly.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

MooselanderII posted:

What do you guys think is the best articulated Batman action figure out there?

In other news, Marvel Legends Mystique wave seems to be hitting shelves...slowly.

best as in most articulation? Just looking at my batmen, that would be the DCUC ones right? I think the Knightfall batman (azrael as batman) looks like it has the *most* articulation, as he is the only one that seems to have knee joints.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

MooselanderII posted:

They are? I think people are just getting their BBTS ordes right now, not finding them in stores.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Louisgod posted:

They are? I think people are just getting their BBTS ordes right now, not finding them in stores.

Hmm, I swear I've seen some Fwooshers reporting seeing them in California.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!
I was always jealous of my one friend cause he had everything Thundercats and Transformers.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Today I picked up NECA's "Predator" series 6. All of the figures look amazing and the paint apps are very well done. So they did what they set out to do, make all of the Lost Clan figures. Now we just need a trophy wall!

I also snagged a GI Joe Zombie Viper too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jace Madan posted:

Today I picked up NECA's "Predator" series 6. All of the figures look amazing and the paint apps are very well done. So they did what they set out to do, make all of the Lost Clan figures. Now we just need a trophy wall!

I also snagged a GI Joe Zombie Viper too.
I've got all of series 6 on pre-order from Toywiz for $50 shipped, which should be better than retail especially once you take sales tax into account. I've just been trying to get ahold of them to update my shipping address before they mail them out. :doom:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally found a Walmart with the exclusive Avengers that aren't Iron Man and Cap. This movie Loki looks amazing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 6, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

e: I am bad at google.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Man, I hadn't really looked at the latest series of GI Joes. They're loving ridiculous; kinda overpriced for the size but holy poo poo the detail.

If they had made that kind of quality in the 1984 line nobody would know what the gently caress Transformers were. Might clear a little space on a shelf for the Storm Shadow.