Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does anyone want to offer an opinion on font smoothing options? I turned it off just now and I love the sharpness but at the same time I feel like text lacks... polish I guess. I love the general font in OSX but it's too blurry sometimes with smoothing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does anyone want to offer an opinion on font smoothing options? I turned it off just now and I love the sharpness but at the same time I feel like text lacks... polish I guess. I love the general font in OSX but it's too blurry sometimes with smoothing on.

When the hell did apple remove the ability to adjust font smoothing strength via a gui?

To do it via the terminal, run

code:
sudo defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1;killall Finder
That ought to do it, enable smoothness again and it'll be on the lowest possible amount. You can it to either 1, 2 or 3.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Experto Crede posted:

When the hell did apple remove the ability to adjust font smoothing strength via a gui?

To do it via the terminal, run

code:
sudo defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1;killall Finder
That ought to do it, enable smoothness again and it'll be on the lowest possible amount. You can it to either 1, 2 or 3.

That seems much better, thank you. I hate how lovely they implemented it. The option in the preferences doesn't even consistently work right.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

japtor posted:

You got some replies about that when you asked in the hardware thread. I posted one and vaguely remember someone else's too. From what I could find the gist is...maybe.

Yep, looks a bit unclear. I will run it through a print server so that means I won't need the USB side, at least. Worst case, we have the windows laptop for doing the final printing!

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008
Made a mistake and posted this in the hardware thread when it's much more apt here. I'm having a problem with Google Chrome, I've just bought my first mac (!) It's a mid 2011 Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM. Everything runs pretty smooth but Chrome is just dreadful, any sort of flash causes it to just crash after a while, I'll be able to immediately restart to where I was but it's very irritating in the middle of any sort of video. Occasionally tabs that have just a regular text only webpage will also just crash. Has anyone dealt with anything similar?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are you running the latest stable branch of Chrome? Also have you checked to see if any Flash updates are available? If you have system-wide Flash installed, perhaps try to disable the version of Flash that Chrome ships with. Just a few things off the top of my head.

Everything after that involves going through log files to see if you can track down any obvious error messages pre-crash.

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Are you running the latest stable branch of Chrome? Also have you checked to see if any Flash updates are available? If you have system-wide Flash installed, perhaps try to disable the version of Flash that Chrome ships with. Just a few things off the top of my head.

Everything after that involves going through log files to see if you can track down any obvious error messages pre-crash.

Ah, sorry to be an idiot but how do I check if I have system-wide flash installed? I know that chrome is the most up to date it can be, both in terms of the actual browser and flash. But I'm not sure how to check anything else.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
It looks like the Apple supplied iCal calendars like the US Holiday calendar have gone missing.

Nobody knows yet if this is permanent or not.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/08/20/apples-calendar-subscriptions-servers-unavailable-to-users/

I googled for alternatives and came up with this one which looks pretty decent.

http://www.calendarlabs.com/ical-calendar-holidays.php

Edit: I'll note that these calendars were hosted on mac.com so it's quite possible this has something to do with the retiring of mobile me. Maybe.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 20, 2012

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

That seems much better, thank you. I hate how lovely they implemented it. The option in the preferences doesn't even consistently work right.

The preference applies only after an app has quit and relaunched.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Echoes posted:

Ah, sorry to be an idiot but how do I check if I have system-wide flash installed? I know that chrome is the most up to date it can be, both in terms of the actual browser and flash. But I'm not sure how to check anything else.

Look in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ for items with Flash or Shockwave in the filename. I've never heard of it installed per-user, but you could check ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ as well.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Echoes posted:

Flash now comes with a panel in System Preferences that has a "Check for Updates" button.

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008

dabre_aiamim posted:

Look in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ for items with Flash or Shockwave in the filename. I've never heard of it installed per-user, but you could check ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ as well.

Nothing in there related to flash, odd. I think I may just try switching to Safari for a while. I've been told that this is a fairly standard problem, macs just not getting along with flash very well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Works fine for me and I use Chrome and have Flash installed. Try reinstalling it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah seriously though, as much as I complain about Flash being a shitpile I've never actually had any sort of SERIOUS problem with it, to the point where it's crashed consistently and repeatably. I'd say reinstall Chrome for sure.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Would it cause problems in iTunes if I symlink a couple of folders within my library onto my external drive, but not the entire library?

All my music is in iTunes Match so not actively saved on my laptop. Right now I have my entire library saved on an external with the ~/Music folder symlinked to the drive.

What I want to do is ONLY symlink the Movies and Mobile Applications folders within the Music folder to my external drive.

Will iTunes have a stroke if I try to open with the external disconnected and have this done? My external drive's cable is kind of lovely and it sometimes disconnects if you bump it, which causes iTunes to freeze up because the library file gets lost.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Is there some way to disable Flash in Safari so that I don't get goddamn Flash ads draining my battery all the time? Preferably have it block flash content by default but allow me to display it if I want.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

THC posted:

Is there some way to disable Flash in Safari so that I don't get goddamn Flash ads draining my battery all the time? Preferably have it block flash content by default but allow me to display it if I want.

I use ClickToPlugin on all my computers, with a few domains whitelisted where I'm always going to want Flash or whatever to run.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

You Am I posted:

It is common knowledge that Office usually sucks for Mac, however 2011 is leap years better than the mess that was 2008.

Actually Excel is outstanding, perfect, wonderful, near perfect compared to Numbers, which is horrible with any document larger than 10 pages long.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Would it cause problems in iTunes if I symlink a couple of folders within my library onto my external drive, but not the entire library?

All my music is in iTunes Match so not actively saved on my laptop. Right now I have my entire library saved on an external with the ~/Music folder symlinked to the drive.

What I want to do is ONLY symlink the Movies and Mobile Applications folders within the Music folder to my external drive.

Will iTunes have a stroke if I try to open with the external disconnected and have this done? My external drive's cable is kind of lovely and it sometimes disconnects if you bump it, which causes iTunes to freeze up because the library file gets lost.

Don't store the library files on the external, just the media files.

iTunes in general does really well with any sort of aliases, but not being able to read/write to open files messes any program up.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Before upgrading to ML, I had run a terminal command so that my D-link NAS would allow for Time Machine backups ... since upgrading, I get a time machine error saying it can't start. Has anyone else experienced this?

fanthom
Sep 6, 2005

ain't carryin no fuckin pads
Cross-posting from Hardware thread, since I'm stupid and didn't realize this thread existed. Just bought my first Mac (2012 13" Air) yesterday, and had 2 questions.

I'm using Chrome as my default browser, and in Windows, I could always Middle-Mouse Button Click or if I was using touchpad, tap with 2 fingers, to close a tab. OS X doesn't seem to have this function built in. Anybody know of any sort of way to accomodate this "motion," or any download that would fix that?

Also, when I surfed the internet on Windows, I was able to use the same Middle-Mouse Button Click or two-finger tap on touchpad when I clicked on a link so that it would open the link in a new tab. Again, any way to regain this function as well? Kind of annoying that I can only open a link in the same tab I'm currently browsing with.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

rikesh posted:

Cross-posting from Hardware thread, since I'm stupid and didn't realize this thread existed. Just bought my first Mac (2012 13" Air) yesterday, and had 2 questions.

I'm using Chrome as my default browser, and in Windows, I could always Middle-Mouse Button Click or if I was using touchpad, tap with 2 fingers, to close a tab. OS X doesn't seem to have this function built in. Anybody know of any sort of way to accomodate this "motion," or any download that would fix that?

Also, when I surfed the internet on Windows, I was able to use the same Middle-Mouse Button Click or two-finger tap on touchpad when I clicked on a link so that it would open the link in a new tab. Again, any way to regain this function as well? Kind of annoying that I can only open a link in the same tab I'm currently browsing with.

You want BetterTouchTool. Use it to map something to middle-click. I like three-finger tap.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Logitech software also lets you do that with their mice. I have the m510 and middle click closes tabs and opens links in tabs.

fanthom
Sep 6, 2005

Oneiros posted:

You want BetterTouchTool. Use it to map something to middle-click. I like three-finger tap.

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for.

However, this brings up another "issue." Now, whenever I use my "three finger tap" as the middle-mouse button, it highlights the text in yellow and apparently searches for it in an online dictionary. Went into Chrome settings and couldn't find anything that remotely dealt with trackpad/mouse button shortcuts. Any way to disable this?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

rikesh posted:

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for.

However, this brings up another "issue." Now, whenever I use my "three finger tap" as the middle-mouse button, it highlights the text in yellow and apparently searches for it in an online dictionary. Went into Chrome settings and couldn't find anything that remotely dealt with trackpad/mouse button shortcuts. Any way to disable this?

I'm not sure why it would be interfering but try turning off/changing the look up in dictionary here?

fanthom
Sep 6, 2005

sweek0 posted:

I'm not sure why it would be interfering but try turning off/changing the look up in dictionary here?

nm, found it. In "Trackpad" options, Look Up was set to 3 Finger Tap. Thanks anyways.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kapalama posted:

Actually Excel is outstanding, perfect, wonderful, near perfect compared to Numbers, which is horrible with any document larger than 10 pages long.

I hate Excel 2011. Slow, crashes loading big files, ugh. I've been using LibreOffice and while it's not perfect either, it works great.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Has anyone taken this? http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/M9312.pdf

Work just bought it so someone in the office can know something about Macs.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Red Robin Hood posted:

I should imagine it's not really different to microsoft's certification courses.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Experto Crede posted:

I should imagine it's not really different to microsoft's certification courses.

I kind of figured as much. Thanks!

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
I've recently stopped using Sparrow (since they were bought out by Google) and I'm probably going to go back to using a browser extension to show when there's new mail.

Safari seems to suggest I use Gmail Counter which I've installed but it doesn't seem to be working correctly.

It should show the number of new emails in a small red circle on the icon, but it's refusing to update. When I click it goes straight to Gmail but I'd like to know if I have mail.

Is this a 10.8 issue? I might have to go back to Sparrow or start using Mail.app. It's annoying getting my email notifications through my phone.

E -

As an aside, are there any recommendations for an app that combines last.fm scrobbling with a little notification that popups (in the top right corner or wherever) when a new song starts playing.

I was using iScrobbler on my old MBP but I'd like to change as it was pretty ugly and I was only using it out of habit. My Googling skills are deserting me as I'm not entirely sure what to search for.

luvd fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 21, 2012

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Yeah seriously though, as much as I complain about Flash being a shitpile I've never actually had any sort of SERIOUS problem with it, to the point where it's crashed consistently and repeatably. I'd say reinstall Chrome for sure.

Getting ridiculous now, reinstalled Chrome twice and created a new profile, kept happening. I've tried to use Safari but even that's crashing now, in fact it just flat out died when typing out this post. No other application has this problem, it's literally just the browsers. Is there a good free Anti Virus out for OSX? This is such a pain.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Sophos has a free one, but I don't think malware is your problem. Sounds to me like either your system Flash install is corrupted or something is really hosed with your OS install. Uninstall all instances of Flash you can find, try reinstalling the latest one for Safari and see if it crashes again. If it still does, try repairing permissions then try again. If still not working, reinstall OS X (no need to format).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

a bad poster yall posted:

As an aside, are there any recommendations for an app that combines last.fm scrobbling with a little notification that popups (in the top right corner or wherever) when a new song starts playing.

I was using iScrobbler on my old MBP but I'd like to change as it was pretty ugly and I was only using it out of habit. My Googling skills are deserting me as I'm not entirely sure what to search for.

Use the standard OS X last.fm client, which will happily pop up now playing Growl notifications. (Remember that you can turn Hiss off for specific notifications if you need to.)

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

Sophos has a free one, but I don't think malware is your problem. Sounds to me like either your system Flash install is corrupted or something is really hosed with your OS install. Uninstall all instances of Flash you can find, try reinstalling the latest one for Safari and see if it crashes again. If it still does, try repairing permissions then try again. If still not working, reinstall OS X (no need to format).

Ah thanks for the help, I think you're right about it being a problem with the OS installation. Now that I think about it Chrome worked fine for the 3 or so hours I used it before I downloaded Mountain Lion. How do I go about reinstalling Mountain Lion? Right now I'm just downloading it again from the app store. I'll need to back everything up now right? Once again I appreciate all the help, I'm just very new to the whole mac thing.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

a bad poster yall posted:

E -

CoverSutra does that stuff, might be a bit too much for what you're looking for though. http://sophiestication.com/coversutra/

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Echoes posted:

Ah thanks for the help, I think you're right about it being a problem with the OS installation. Now that I think about it Chrome worked fine for the 3 or so hours I used it before I downloaded Mountain Lion. How do I go about reinstalling Mountain Lion? Right now I'm just downloading it again from the app store. I'll need to back everything up now right? Once again I appreciate all the help, I'm just very new to the whole mac thing.
You can reinstall over your current installation. It won't touch your data. You should be doing backups anyway because it's a really good idea.

Another thing you can try is creating a new account and try the browsers in that account. If it doesn't happen there, then that means something in your current account is causing the crashes.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'd recommend holding off a while.

It's being re-written currently.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
So, I have a Mid 2010 MBP (2.4ghz C2D, 4GB ram) running Snow leopard (10.6.8) and was thinking of making the leap to Mountain Lion but I'm reading mixed things about it mainly regarding battery life and performance on "older" macs. Has anyone else confirmed this to be true? Should I wait for some updates or just jump right in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

IceLicker posted:

So, I have a Mid 2010 MBP (2.4ghz C2D, 4GB ram) running Snow leopard (10.6.8) and was thinking of making the leap to Mountain Lion but I'm reading mixed things about it mainly regarding battery life and performance on "older" macs. Has anyone else confirmed this to be true? Should I wait for some updates or just jump right in?

Supposedly 10.8.1 is gearing up to help with battery life. It's probably not far off.