Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well personally my arms look kind of like a stork's legs so I'd have a better shot launching my big head into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
For some reason this week has been the week to be told that my rear lights are out by people in the lane next to me.

For the most part, I'm chalking it up to them being car drivers that haven't noticed that the rear indicator lights on the other motorcycles they pass are like that. And the extra large 70s indicators on 4 inch metal stalks on my 33 year old KZ650 look like they probably should light up.

But tonight I had a guy on a Harley pull up next to me and tell me the same thing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I got, "Your rear headlight is out", before. I still don't know what the gently caress, cause they drove off before I took it all in.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I get "your headlight is out" all the time, referring to the high beam unit that is off unless I have the high beams on - in which case the low beam unit switches off :)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I leave the hi-beam off, they tell me I have a headlight out. I have the hi-beam on, they flash me. No winning with some poeple.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I get "your headlight is out" all the time, referring to the high beam unit that is off unless I have the high beams on - in which case the low beam unit switches off :)

I think it'd be interesting to compare how many people say this when you have a side-by-side unit to when you have an over-under system. I'll bet the asymmetry is what makes people notice, not just the fact that there's an unlit bulb.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Crayvex posted:

As I was trying to say before, riding a motorcycle without an endorsement is NOT the same as driving a car without a license. I have several retarded friends who have been riding for 10+ years without an endorsement. One received the responsibility fine when he was pulled over for a different offense. AFAIK, riding without an endorsement in Michigan is not a primary offense therefore a cop can't pull you over under the suspicion that you may not have an endorsement.

A lot (most? almost all?) of health insurance companies won't pay out if you wreck while riding a motorcycle you're not licensed for.

On that, I have a friend (in Florida) who insisted he didn't need an endorsement to legally ride a motorcycle. Of course we have a separate endorsement like everywhere else (which now mandates an MSF course, I think), but I think he was saying his older car license (2001?) was grandfathered in, or something. Claimed to have confirmed it with his insurance company and everything, who thought it was odd but apparently legit.

He had a Ninja 250 he bought as a fixer-upper that he rode around for a month or so before selling it, so the question is academic now.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 21, 2012

red19fire
May 26, 2010

When I was in the marines, I knew a guy who got insurance, then cancelled after a week just so he could get the proof of insurance required to operate a bike in California, and also because he could (barely) afford a bike but not insurance. His reasoning was that if he got pulled over, he could show the card to a cop and be fine. I asked what he would do if he got in an accident; his response was something about being too good and smart (having watched Torque and just gotten a permit) to get into an accident.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

red19fire posted:

When I was in the marines, I knew a guy who got insurance, then cancelled after a week just so he could get the proof of insurance required to operate a bike in California, and also because he could (barely) afford a bike but not insurance. His reasoning was that if he got pulled over, he could show the card to a cop and be fine. I asked what he would do if he got in an accident; his response was something about being too good and smart (having watched Torque and just gotten a permit) to get into an accident.

If the man has seen Torque I really don't see what the problem is here.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I wonder if any deer have seen Torque.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

http://www.kcbd.com/story/19249138/rider-crashes-motorcycle-starts-fire

Whoa.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A lot (most? almost all?) of health insurance companies won't pay out if you wreck while riding a motorcycle you're not licensed for.

On that, I have a friend (in Florida) who insisted he didn't need an endorsement to legally ride a motorcycle. Of course we have a separate endorsement like everywhere else (which now mandates an MSF course, I think), but I think he was saying his older car license (2001?) was grandfathered in, or something. Claimed to have confirmed it with his insurance company and everything, who thought it was odd but apparently legit.

He had a Ninja 250 he bought as a fixer-upper that he rode around for a month or so before selling it, so the question is academic now.
As a counterpoint my motorcycle insurance didn't pay for anything after my motorcycle accident. Due to the weird quirks that are Michigan insurance laws it was my auto insurance and my medical insurance that covered everything. We are a weird state.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

That really deserves a picture. :stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
How terrible is that. Get your bike license, buy your first bike (a brand new Harley!) and then lose control of it and turn it into a fireball across the street from the dealership you just pulled out of.

He'll either learn from the experience, or never get on a bike again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just noticed the windshield of the Denali from his body.

I'm mildly surprised he was wearing a helmet.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Welp

quote:

A 35-year-old man suffered serious injuries Friday afternoon after crashing a new 2012 Harley Davidson almost immediately after he bought it.

the rider had just received his motorcycle license and went to buy the bike.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Boat posted:

I can see the Craig's list ad now. Low miles , a smoking deal, low speed drop in a parking lot, my loss is your gain.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
883 or 1200?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Probably 1200, he's doesn't sound too bright and probably got upsold on the basis that he's just going to bring it back anyway for more power.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm no harley guy but it looks like an xr1200 to me.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

front wing flexing posted:

Probably 1200, he's doesn't sound too bright and probably got upsold on the basis that he's just going to bring it back anyway for more power.

The salesman got that right. He's not gonna bring that 1200 back for anything.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nsaP posted:

I'm no harley guy but it looks like an xr1200 to me.

The rear doesn't look high enough. Seat looks different too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Boat posted:

Only thing missing in that photo is a big bald eagle to make it even more :911:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

slidebite posted:

Only thing missing in that photo is a big bald eagle to make it even more :911:

I just noticed those flames sure are Harley Orange :v:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
:patriot: THESE CULLERS DON'T RUN :patriot:

For content, I stopped by my boat to pick up some stuff tonight, I usually live aboard but she's in the yard for anti fouling so I'm staying at the missus' place. When I went to leave I started up the bike and started to pull on my gloves and lid when I hear a horn behind me. There's a guy on his boat, obviously still living aboard while he works on it, leaning out the cabin looking at me. I turn off the motor, and ask "what is it?".

:reject: "Turn it down."

Yeah mate, let me just find the remote and I'll hit the loving mute button for you. I just shook my head in bemusement, started her up and rode out. For the record, while I do have an aftermarket can, it still has the DB reducer in and the bike is only a little louder than stock (completely legal) and only idling. It wasn't even really late either (well before 2300).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

That's fantastic

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Oh my God. I want this on a T-shirt. This photo on a white-shirt like the rednecks have with their sister/girlfriend picture from the State fair.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is amazing. Good job!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Tamir Lenk posted:

Oh my God. I want this on a T-shirt. This photo on a white-shirt like the rednecks have with their sister/girlfriend picture from the State fair.

I think you mean you want it on a wife-beater tank top.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Taco Box posted:

I think you mean you want it on a wife-beater tank top.

Can't cut the sleeves off a tank top. :colbert:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Can't cut the sleeves off a tank top. :colbert:

Listen to Splizwarf. He is wise.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Left-side belt/big twin, naked, dual shock rear end - it's a Dyna.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

clutchpuck posted:

Left-side belt/big twin, naked, dual shock rear end - it's a Dyna.

Yeah it looks like a Dyna fat-bob with that light and plate position. Its not a sporty because the belt is on the left.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I stopped off at Lowes to get some chain lube on the way to my friend's place on Saturday. There were a couple bikes in the lot, so I parked next to them. When I got back out, they were gearing up putting on their helmets (shorts, t-shirt and sneakers should be plenty protection for the rest, right?).
Now, people often ask what kind of bike I have. Not a big thing. I don't expect people to recognize it, and it's not a cruiser that everyone assumes is a Harley. Having said that, I figure a couple of guys riding sport bikes can at least assume that the giant "YAMAHA" sticker on the windscreen and the "FZ6" on the front fairing means that it's a Yamaha FZ6.
"Yo, bro, what kind of bike is that?"
"Yamaha FZ6. It's basically an R6 tuned for midrange and more comfortable ergos."
"Can you bring the front wheel up?"
"Uh, technically you can, but it's not really meant for it. There isn't a lot of low end power, either."
He was trying to ask me something else, but they'd turned their bikes on and I couldn't hear what he was asking, so I just nodded, smiled and put my helmet on.
They made their way through the parking lot and proceeded to burnout as they pulled onto the main road. Now, they didn't really say anything stupid. I think it was kind of silly asking a guy in full riding gear and a Nolan helmet if his bike could wheelie, but these guys were squid personified.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 27, 2012

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

I stopped off at Lowes to get some chain lube on the way to my friend's place on Saturday. There were a couple bikes in the lot, so I parked next to them. When I got back out, they were gearing up putting on their helmets (shorts, t-shirt and sneakers should be plenty protection for the rest, right?).
Now, people often ask what kind of bike I have. Not a big thing. I don't expect people to recognize it, and it's not a cruiser that everyone assumes is a Harley. Having said that, I figure a couple of guys riding sport bikes can at least assume that the giant "YAMAHA" sticker on the windscreen and the "FZ6" on the front fairing means that it's a Yamaha FZ6.
"Yo, bro, what kind of bike is that?"
"Yamaha FZ6. It's basically an R6 tuned for midrange and more comfortable ergos."
"Can you bring the front wheel up?"
"Uh, technically you can, but it's not really meant for it. There isn't a lot of low end power, either."
He was trying to ask me something else, but they'd turned their bikes on and I couldn't hear what he was asking, so I just nodded, smiled and put my helmet on.
They made their way through the parking lot and proceeded to burnout as they pulled onto the main road. Now, they didn't really say anything stupid. I think it was kind of silly asking a guy in full riding gear and a Nolan helmet if his bike could wheelie, but these guys were squid personified.

Well basically your bike is dumb if it can't wheelie 100% of the time, have fun riding your girly bike brah.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

The overlap between squids and yabras is amazing.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I stopped at Subway on my way to work. The place was empty except for the cute little white girl working the counter. She was super nice. I paid and walked to the door when she shouted, "How you gonna carry that sandwich on that little Jap bike? Slanty-eyed ching-chongs didn't even put a place for their chop sticks."

Totally out of nowhere...

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

I stopped at Subway on my way to work. The place was empty except for the cute little white girl working the counter. She was super nice. I paid and walked to the door when she shouted, "How you gonna carry that sandwich on that little Jap bike? Slanty-eyed ching-chongs didn't even put a place for their chop sticks."

Totally out of nowhere...

Hahaha holy poo poo, If you're serious I would have demanded to see her manager. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen someone in retail say to a customer, and I've seen some pretty dumb poo poo.

Content: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/975709-new-war-supermoto-hooligans-videos/

Featuring such gems as this.

quote:

So...what you're saying is that you're lazy and don't have enough money to maintain a real supermoto bike with real supermoto performance.

XR's have been the standard of reliability for years, not DRZs. If you really wanted a supermoto bike with good performance and low maintenance, you could have gone with an XR650R that you could have modded a ton and made hella fast for a giant thumper (a lot faster than a modded DRZ). Even a WR250x edges out a DRZ-SM, especially with all the aftermarket stuff coming out for the WRx.
http://www.supermoto...m-my-comparison

What you've yet to realize is that your DRZs are fine for "shaninagans" but are definitely not true supermoto bikes. The DRZ-SM and WR250x are basically made for people like you...someone who wants to have fun dicking around on streets and hardly do any maintenance. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, I want a WR250x for city commuting. But you'd have to mod the hell out of it to make it "modern" and then you end up spending more than you would have on a Husqvarna or KTM SM or a modern jap 450 to convert.

People have been putting high mileage on their modern, real su'mo bikes these last couple of years with no problems. More than one guy has 25k miles on their WR450 with only having done a top end rebuild...that's nearly as good as a DRZ's long-term maintenance schedule. You just have to do regular maintenance (oil change every 10 hours isn't hard, neither is a valve inspection once a season)...but NO, NOT MAINTENANCE! The only reason you see a ton of DRZ going high mileage is because there are a ton of DRZ out there. In fact, more than one DRZ engine has blown up at 25k miles.

You might receive a more warm welcome at supermotojunkie.com.
But probably not with that attitude...because what response you're getting here will only be ten-fold there. DRZ-SM owners know their place there. There's a reason most local supermoto clubs have DRZs racing mostly only against other DRZs.

And videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubsd8mlJigI

I'm at an absolute loss here, so much is wrong with that video and the whole DRZ derail in the thread. :psyboom:
This is why satire is loving dead. You can't make stuff like this up if you wanted to.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Probably Hates You posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo, If you're serious I would have demanded to see her manager. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen someone in retail say to a customer, and I've seen some pretty dumb poo poo.

For real. I go there pretty often because it's across the street from work, and the girl had seemed kind of flirty up to that point, so I was too stunned to say anything but, "uh... I'm going to strap it to the seat thanks."

Sandwich was good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

eddiewalker posted:

For real. I go there pretty often because it's across the street from work, and the girl had seemed kind of flirty up to that point, so I was too stunned to say anything but, "uh... I'm going to strap it to the seat thanks."

Sandwich was good, though.

She's still outta your league bro.

• Locked thread