Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dan7el posted:

I agree. I'm having a hard time figuring Kirito out as well.

I don't know if he waltzes into the weaponsmith's shop and looks/acts like a nobody because he wants to gently caress with her or because he doesn't really know any better. Plus, if Asuna did recommend he go there, you'd have thought that she'd be there to introduce the two. "Liz, this is my good friend Kirito. He is among the three highest level players in the game. He's also a complete social misfit. Don't let his looks fool you...."

More game mechanics stuff. Anyone else befuddled by the fact that they only needed one dragon poop-ore to make an entire awesome high-level sword?

Really. In most games I am familiar with, it would have taken like 120 raw ore items. Then you'd need to make dragon-poo steel by combining three ingots with 1 coal. Then, you'd need to make the handle, which would have taken 10 steel ingots and the blade, another 30 steel ingots, and you'd have had to have a leather-crafter provide the supremely high-quality leather bindings for the pommel and sheath -- 70 of those.

Also, in most games, most player-made stuff is no where near the quality of monster dropped stuff. It is refreshing to see that a player in this game can choose a profession, be good at it, and really make a difference in the game.

Likewise, the lack of "camping" amazes me. Everytime Kirito and [insert random female character here] go on a mission to collect [insert extremely rare item here], they walk up to the place, there is no one else there, and the accomplish the job. I understand that in episode 5 when he got the pet revival flower that he had to have someone who had a recently dead pet with him, but in this last episode, if the dragon poop was really all that awesome as a metal I'd expect there to be a line of high-level players with their master-smiths in tow attempting to collect as much ore as possible.

I sort of assume the game isn't structured for the sort of large scale economy that real MMOs have, since the creator knew his players would be steadily dwindling and he wouldn't be getting any new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
If, as per the first episode, resources are limited and can be ultimately depleted (including monsters, whom I assume are the main source of XP and gear), this is definitely not the average MMO with the standard features. It reminds me of Tower of Druaga in some ways (both the game and the anime) and this might be intentional.

I must admit that the last episode worked for me in the end, no matter how much eye-rolling there was to be had. Because I'm a sucker for this crap and I probably haven't watched enough anime to be jaded yet.

Daler Mehndi fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 19, 2012

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zettace posted:

I still can't get a hold of Kiriro's personality which is kind of due to him not really having one. The setting is cool but I'm not really liking the main character.
Kirito really enjoys teasing people. He will often do it for his own amusement. If he finds a situation funny, he will roll with it to see what happens. He is very intelligent, laid back, and at the beginning, anti-social. His personality changes a bit as he gets older in the books.

In the novels, a lot of his character's development comes from his inner monologue, which they haven't done a good job with voicing in the anime. They've even been cutting out dialog and scenes that help define the characters more.

It also doesn't help that in the novels, most of his character development (that I can remember) happened in the later books. These side stories should have been used to help define his character as, as far as I remember, the main storyline doesn't really touch on it like the side stories do. I'll have to re-read them to check.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

They did mention that no had been able to find the ore so far and presumably that's because no one had been stupid enough yet to jump into a seemingly bottomless hole in a game where death is permanent.

Popehoist posted:

There's probably 5000 or less people in the game right now, and the world seems absolutely huge. It's not infeasible to see how it's sparsely populated.

Blhue posted:

I sort of assume the game isn't structured for the sort of large scale economy that real MMOs have, since the creator knew his players would be steadily dwindling and he wouldn't be getting any new ones.

All very good points. I will have to keep this in mind. I keep thinking about all my MMO experiences, and this anime's MMO is certainly very different.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Nalin posted:

Kirito really enjoys teasing people. He will often do it for his own amusement. If he finds a situation funny, he will roll with it to see what happens. He is very intelligent, laid back, and at the beginning, anti-social. His personality changes a bit as he gets older in the books.

I got this distinct impression, but I wasn't sure I was reading him correctly. I like to do the same thing when I can. I wasn't sure if I was projecting my own likes on his actions.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Also keep in mind how information spreads. There's no global, floor, or even town-based chat channels. Sending mail still works but there isn't exactly a /who option to just bring up a list of names. It's not really mentioned in the anime but there's a monument with the names of players (Or only dead players? Can't remember) so I guess there's that. Either way, information doesn't spread as easily as it does in current games.

Crafting as a path to top-tier equipment tends to be more common these days if only just to offer an alternate/secondary path of advancement (And sometimes grind). That said, just one piece of dragon poop as well as randomized results is unusual. Then again, SAO doesn't come across as a MMO designed to cater to the masses. Even ignoring the death game aspect, it's definitely got elements that make it more akin to EVE and other non-mainstream MMOs in both challenge and system elements.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Argas posted:

It's not really mentioned in the anime but there's a monument with the names of players (Or only dead players? Can't remember) so I guess there's that.

I remember that, it's seen at the end of the first episode; if I remember correctly it has the names of all players on it, and when they die their name gets crossed out.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Dan7el posted:

All very good points. I will have to keep this in mind. I keep thinking about all my MMO experiences, and this anime's MMO is certainly very different.

Have you ever played a dying MMO? This game seems really similar to a dying MMO to me. When WoW has 5,000 players it'll probably be just like this game.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I assumed that the metal was a special item and that you could only possess one of it at a time.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Popehoist posted:

Have you ever played a dying MMO? This game seems really similar to a dying MMO to me. When WoW has 5,000 players it'll probably be just like this game.

Feels almost exactly like this.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MagicalDuck posted:

I assumed that the metal was a special item and that you could only possess one of it at a time.

No. In the novel, Kirito remarks on the fact that nobody will need to kill the dragon anymore now that the location of the metal has been found. The metal is not limited in number. The book also talks about how the crafted items have a randomness to them (I don't know if this was mentioned as I haven't seen the episode yet). Other swords can be made. If any sword like his gets made is basically down to random luck and the skill (and maybe mood) of the craftsman.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 20, 2012

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nalin posted:

No. In the novel, Kirito remarks on the fact that nobody will need to kill the dragon anymore now that the location of the metal has been found. The metal is not limited in number. The book also talks about how the crafted items have a randomness to them (I don't know if this was mentioned as I haven't seen the episode yet). Other swords can be made. If any sword like his gets made is basically down to random luck and the skill (and maybe mood) of the craftsman.

Reminds me of the complete lack of documentation in FFXI's crafting system. Are you facing the right direction? On the right day? Etc.

Argas fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 20, 2012

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Popehoist posted:

No. But I was very tempted the other day to download Asheron's Call and play it again for the third time. I didn't. I have Order and Chaos on my Lenova IdeaPad K1 right now that is keeping me busy.

When you said "dying MMO" I thought you meant one where you die in real life like in SAO. I was like, "Of course not!" Then, "Oh...."

Yeah. I keep forgetting the population on this server must be a small fraction of what it could hold. Good because there won't be any deaths caused by lag. I remembder once in Dark Age of Camelot we hit a zone with a ton of people trying to take a fortress and the zone just stuttered and died. An event like that in SAO would be pretty horrific.

SAO definitely seems more like EVE Online. I wonder if you can send items in the mail or if you have to travel to the town where the item exists to pick it up when buying it like in EVE Online. Player-based economies are the best, I think. Of course, you have to have some way to generate new cash.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Popehoist posted:

Completely agreed, though you have to also consider the game "evolving" to reflect its own state of decay with WoW as a perfect example wherein they have 90% of the non raid content as solo-able now.

Sword Art Online: EVE Online As A Fantasy Momopurger The Anime has a nice ring to it.

Seriously more MMO's need to be like EVE but with TERA's/Eastern MMORPG twitch based combat system.

Imagine it! EVE's equipment customization (X many main slots, Y many armor, Z jewelry), its crafting system, player driven market, territory control that's key to the market, throw in Guild War's persistence, MMO KOTOR story and DayZ's difficulty with pre-suck Star War Galaxies perma-jedi-death and we're set.

I like this episode as I'm a sucker for this sort of thing as well, the Liz had a good seiyuu and character to her and obviously the best part: Everybody Lives! :9thdoctor:

I dunno, for me personally seeing these side stories explore the setting in some non trivial amount of depth has been enjoyable enough for me I don't mind holding the main story back a bit. My only concern is if they end up rushing it.

Argas you forgot to spoiler that quote block.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sadly there's only two side stories left and one can't air until a little later on because it wouldn't make sense time line wise right now.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Raenir Salazar posted:

Completely agreed, though you have to also consider the game "evolving" to reflect its own state of decay with WoW as a perfect example wherein they have 90% of the non raid content as solo-able now.

Sword Art Online: EVE Online As A Fantasy Momopurger The Anime has a nice ring to it.

Seriously more MMO's need to be like EVE but with TERA's/Eastern MMORPG twitch based combat system.

Imagine it! EVE's equipment customization (X many main slots, Y many armor, Z jewelry), its crafting system, player driven market, territory control that's key to the market, throw in Guild War's persistence, MMO KOTOR story and DayZ's difficulty with pre-suck Star War Galaxies perma-jedi-death and we're set.

I like this episode as I'm a sucker for this sort of thing as well, the Liz had a good seiyuu and character to her and obviously the best part: Everybody Lives! :9thdoctor:

I dunno, for me personally seeing these side stories explore the setting in some non trivial amount of depth has been enjoyable enough for me I don't mind holding the main story back a bit. My only concern is if they end up rushing it.

Argas you forgot to spoiler that quote block.

Fixed it.

SAO gets away with radical MMO concepts because it's fiction. If only real MMOs were that easy. While TERA is busy strangling itself with its RNG, I do adore the combat.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm loving the show thus far. I'm sure it's already been touched upon as to how quick the pacing is for it, but I really hope it gets more seasons.

Feeling pretty tempted to pick up the LN's, are they worth the read?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

HiveCommander posted:

I'm loving the show thus far. I'm sure it's already been touched upon as to how quick the pacing is for it, but I really hope it gets more seasons.

Feeling pretty tempted to pick up the LN's, are they worth the read?

I had a pretty lazy day today, so I decided to pick up the first volume, and ended up chewing through twenty chapters. It's a stiff read, but it's good. If you enjoy the show, then you'll enjoy the novels.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Daler Mehndi posted:

If, as per the first episode, resources are limited and can be ultimately depleted (including monsters, whom I assume are the main source of XP and gear), this is definitely not the average MMO with the standard features. It reminds me of Tower of Druaga in some ways (both the game and the anime) and this might be intentional.
Yea, aside from them going into detail on the more interesting game mechanics, overall this is pretty much an inferior fantasy show compared to Druaga.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The novels are a quick read and the POV Change gets kinda annoying at points (I really don't like First Person storytelling for one thing) but it's a good read.

Jackard posted:

Yea, aside from them going into detail on the more interesting game mechanics, overall this is pretty much an inferior fantasy show compared to Druaga.

I'd agree but I stopped watching Druaga after the midway point; making a death like that completely pointless just utterly souered the mood for me.

This was the same show that had traps that turned everyone into the Loli assistant for goodness sake!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've been reading the novels.

There's lots more detail to various things since it can just take the time to explain things. Furthermore, there's a few subplots in some of the episodes that the anime has avoided thus far (I haven't caught up entirely yet). The main advantage the anime has is how it's organized. The novels have the sidestories all over the place. Episodes 3-7 are in volume 2, episode 2 is in another set of sidestories, etc. The anime has done a good job of whittling the details down to what's necessary or good for the flow of an anime as opposed to a novel.

Diospace
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah,That's the good thing about most anime. You don't have to think, Only sit there and watch!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Diospace posted:

Yeah,That's the good thing about most anime. You don't have to think, Only sit there and watch!

That statement implies that light novels of all things require deep contemplation.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I've also been reading the novels. Jesus Christ, these kids need therapy. Volumes 4-5, or whatever the ones with GGO were, basically tell a story about a girl with PTSD and goes into relapses around guns. So obviously the best course of action, she decides, is to start playing a game that has nothing but guns in it it as some sort of self-medication. And when she wins a prize from the company, has a model gun delivered to her house that makes her violently vomit upon holding it.

Those two volumes were the hardest to get through. On the other hand, I was trying to figure out how Mr. Swordsman was going to play in a game without swords and then oh wait no there's a literal lightsaber. I mean honestly, a game that doesn't have swords? What kind of bullshit is that? And then the fight at the end where the other guy pulls out his own sword for the final showdown, because everyone knows you don't bring guns to a swordfight.

Honestly the only reason I'm still going is because I want to see what bullshit they'll pull to put Kirito in a situation where he doesn't just instantly murder everything. So far he's battled two admins (and won, though he cheated on the second one) and a room specifically designed to be impossible to clear. What more can the author throw in his way at this point? :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

I've also been reading the novels. Jesus Christ, these kids need therapy. Volumes 4-5, or whatever the ones with GGO were, basically tell a story about a girl with PTSD and goes into relapses around guns. So obviously the best course of action, she decides, is to start playing a game that has nothing but guns in it it as some sort of self-medication. And when she wins a prize from the company, has a model gun delivered to her house that makes her violently vomit upon holding it.

Having just got to that myself, Why is it that I can totally see Japanese culture by and large creating such a person? Then again, same writer wrote a story that was a damning indictment of the "Yamato Nadesico" culture (The murder mystery side story) so maybe it's his bone in the craw.

Wrist Watch posted:

Honestly the only reason I'm still going is because I want to see what bullshit they'll pull to put Kirito in a situation where he doesn't just instantly murder everything. So far he's battled two admins (and won, though he cheated on the second one) and a room specifically designed to be impossible to clear. What more can the author throw in his way at this point? :allears:
I dunno Flinging real life mad men at him with the intent to shove knife into gut seems to catch him off guard at the very least.

That said, I hope the bad guy in book 5/6 has an excuse for his actions beyond being bugfuck insane like 3/4's was

Edit; Episode 7 is up. Good episode, shame they didn't have Kirito's snarky comments from the novel in there. Would have made the boob grab a comedy great in the realm of japanese cartoons.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 25, 2012

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
7 is a good ep.
With all the comments flying around, i'm wary of actually reading the LNs now.

This looks like the worst waste of potential since Berserk adaptions or something.

Y
Sep 29, 2004

it's time to step up
The light novels' prose is like sub-fanfiction level.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wait, let me get this straight. After being trapped in "Sword MMO: The Swordening" for years, the main character went into "Gun MMO: Nah, just kidding- this is also all about swords"?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Serious Frolicking posted:

Wait, let me get this straight. After being trapped in "Sword MMO: The Swordening" for years, the main character went into "Gun MMO: Nah, just kidding- this is also all about swords"?

Yes. I'm not exaggerating at all, he transfers his character over from SAO go GGO, the game that is all guns all the time and walks into a gun shop to buy equipment. And immediately picks up a lightsaber. It was considered a joke weapon that no one used because no one in their right mind brings a sword to a gunfight, especially when you'd literally have to deflect the bullets yourself (which he proceeds to do).

He uses his sword skills to fight people with semi and full automatic weapons. Here's basically what happens during one of the fight scenes:

1: Kirito sees a bullet line (basically just showing someone's aiming at you)
2: On reflex, he spins to face it and proceeds to block an entire clip of bullets with his lightsaber.
3: The guy shooting at him goes :wtc: and kirito runs up a couple hundred yards and kills him while he tries to reload.

Even the one fight in the real world where a dude tried to stab him wasn't much trouble. Once he got over the shock of "oh jesus someone's trying to kill me and it's not in a game" his mind started processing everything and he disarmed the guy with almost no effort. He can't move his body as fast as he can in-game, but practicing the motions and the constant training has left him with great reflexes and stuff.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 26, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That sounds hilarious. Too bad the books are basically unreadable.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Episode 8: You can cook. I am totally falling in love with you

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dexo posted:

This game is becoming too much like real life!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

That sounds hilarious. Too bad the books are basically unreadable.

Yeah, there really needs to be an "English" editor on the fan translation team 'cause it's painfully clear that those books were not checked over to see if they made any sense from an English language point of view.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, there really needs to be an "English" editor on the fan translation team 'cause it's painfully clear that those books were not checked over to see if they made any sense from an English language point of view.

Editing will always remain the unloved position in anything and everything. What's that? Someone needs go over my creative masterpiece/genius translation/life's work and then tell me that I did a less than stellar job because it's difficult to read? The nerve of some people.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dexo posted:

And accidental boob grab is the proof she's falleing for him too if I know my anime right :shepface:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm just a little confused who is actually getting paid obscene amounts of game money for real estate. Did she pay players for it, or does she pay the game itself? The players are constantly expanding into new territory, so there isn't going to be a shortage of property such that a speculator could afford to claim and charge that much, and the listed price can't just be cost-to-make, because there are tons of buildings (inns and whatnot) that should cost more than a one-bedroom apartment yet couldn't be put up if the cost of one apartment makes a high-level player think that he'd have to stretch pretty hard to afford it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Maybe there's an NPC vendor for houses, and you get furniture from players? Who knows? Also: If there's a cap on skills, does that mean someone dedicated enough could become perfect at everything in the game? Or does SA:O do the "you can only have X number of crafting skills" thing?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I'm just a little confused who is actually getting paid obscene amounts of game money for real estate. Did she pay players for it, or does she pay the game itself? The players are constantly expanding into new territory, so there isn't going to be a shortage of property such that a speculator could afford to claim and charge that much, and the listed price can't just be cost-to-make, because there are tons of buildings (inns and whatnot) that should cost more than a one-bedroom apartment yet couldn't be put up if the cost of one apartment makes a high-level player think that he'd have to stretch pretty hard to afford it.

My pet theory that the front line people just have the vast majority of their income go towards equipment. They're always going to buy the best things possible, and they're the only people incurring significant equipment costs; any of their craftsmen probably has a lot more disposable income than they do.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

One thing I like to do when watching this show, is consider the implication of it's premise on the characters. Take last episode's escort-knight-dude, for example. He behaves like entitled nobility, taking pride in his rank and doing everything to protect his princess from the dregs of society. He is the pretty standard character who grew up in a court blah blah etc etc. But then you consider that just two years ago he was probably just a huge nerd who bought a limited edition MMO at launch, who now gets to play out his white-night fantasies that will get him to sex up a cute girl if only he protects her hard enough. Yeah, maybe I am reading too much into this, but the show is kinda boring otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Argas posted:

Editing will always remain the unloved position in anything and everything. What's that? Someone needs go over my creative masterpiece/genius translation/life's work and then tell me that I did a less than stellar job because it's difficult to read? The nerve of some people.

Honestly, If I knew how (and time wasn't a factor) I'd jump in and take that weight on.

• Locked thread