Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Working ok for me on Windows 7 x64 with nVidia GTS 250 and latest drivers, Nightly build is 2012-08-08.

I have the same build and OS, and a AMD 6850 with latest drivers. I'm thinking it must be an about :config issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

xtal posted:

I have the same build and OS, and a AMD 6850 with latest drivers. I'm thinking it must be an about :config issue?

I suppose it could be the font rendering set to some incompatible mode.

Fangs404 posted:

Text looks goofy! How can I change how Firefox renders text?
Firefox has 7 different font rendering modes. If you're having issues with how fonts are displayed, try playing with these values. gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode is the about :config entry you'll want to change.
  • -1 - Firefox Default
  • 0 - Default
  • 1 - Aliased
  • 2 - GDI Classic
  • 3 - GDI Natural
  • 4 - Natural
  • 5 - Natural Symmetric
This MSDN entry formally defines what the options mean.

Try each of those and see if it makes a difference. If not, follow the instructions in the OP.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone else get a crash when they visit this link? http://www.economist.com/node/21560317/comments#comments

I think its something to do with the opinion cloud on the right, but if I try and move the page before its fully loaded it crashes 50% of the time.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone else get a crash when they visit this link? http://www.economist.com/node/21560317/comments#comments

I think its something to do with the opinion cloud on the right, but if I try and move the page before its fully loaded it crashes 50% of the time.

No problems for me on 14.0.1 on Win7.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I suppose it could be the font rendering set to some incompatible mode.

Try each of those and see if it makes a difference. If not, follow the instructions in the OP.

It turned out to be the Delicious Bookmarks addon. I should have tested that first, sorry.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Whenever I follow a link to Vimeo, the page just loads with a screenshot of the video in the place where the player would be. I can get to the player by viewing the page source and copying the URL of the player itself into my address bar, so I can't figure out what's causing the issue.

I tried with all of my addons disabled and still nothing.

Fake edit: As I was typing this, I thought to try it in IE and I get the same problem. Is flash loving me again?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Whenever I follow a link to Vimeo, the page just loads with a screenshot of the video in the place where the player would be. I can get to the player by viewing the page source and copying the URL of the player itself into my address bar, so I can't figure out what's causing the issue.

I tried with all of my addons disabled and still nothing.

Fake edit: As I was typing this, I thought to try it in IE and I get the same problem. Is flash loving me again?
Yes that sounds like a Flash problem. Uninstall it and reinstall the latest version, update your video drivers to the latest version from the chipset manufacturer's website, and if that doesn't fix it, disable Protected mode for Flash.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

kapinga posted:

No problems for me on 14.0.1 on Win7.

OK thanks, I'll keep investigating.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sri.Theo posted:

It crashed for me.

Addons:
Better Privacy
ABP
ABP Element Hiding Helper

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
No crash for me on Waterfox 14.

However I noticed that Ghostery allowed something from DoubleClick on it, which is weird. I've never seen Ghostery allow something before. edit - Somehow DoubleClick got taken off of Ghostery's blacklist without me knowing. Weird.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is there a way through about:config or some other fuckery to disable select shortcuts? Hitting the Shift key when I press Ctrl-W (thus closing the whole window instead of just the tab) happens a little too often for my liking.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Possible good news: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.271 is out and I haven't had screen tearing on the video since installing. I had to download it manually since Flash's autoupdate seems a lovely as the rest of the plugin, plus Firefox's plugin check site wasn't any more informative.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Not sure why this version would cure screen tearing, it was just a security update.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/release-note/enduser-release-notes-11_3.html

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Well that update seems to lock my browser up on any flash content unless I now disable protected mode. Wouldn't be flash without it getting worse with every new version.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Not sure why this version would cure screen tearing, it was just a security update.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/release-note/enduser-release-notes-11_3.html

And... it hasn't. I shall refrain from posting such optimism until it is verified.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

hobb posted:

Well that update seems to lock my browser up on any flash content unless I now disable protected mode. Wouldn't be flash without it getting worse with every new version.

I literally ran into this problem tonight and was wondering what the hell that was making Firefox crash like that.
Odd thing is that i haven't updated flash yet, but every time i try to load a site containing flash, firefox just freezes up and i have to kill it through taskmanager.

Guess it won't hurt if i actually try to update the drat thing.

Edit: Just installed the update and now everything seems to work again. :iiam:

Ssthalar fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 15, 2012

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I re-enabled protected mode and now it seems fine. So I dunno what was going on there.

Bootstrap Beefstud
Jan 1, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there any way to stop the text select blinker popping up whenever I click on a page? I can't scroll down with the arrow keys any more. Also, does anyone know why videos tend to load a tiny bit and then stop loading if you're not playing a video, and does it have something to do with the flash player plugin?

Met48
Mar 15, 2009

Bootstrap Beefstud posted:

Is there any way to stop the text select blinker popping up whenever I click on a page? I can't scroll down with the arrow keys any more.

It sounds like you've got Caret Browsing on. Press F7 to toggle it.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Now every time I full screen a video it launches a whole new tab for the video where the taskbar is hiding half the controls. Reinstalled flash and nada. Doesn't do it in IE/Chrome.

Why do you do this to me firefox, I just want to love you. Please let me love you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Facebook keeps breaking in a really weird way for me in Firefox. I was viewing a bunch of pictures, and suddenly I can't click on the buttons in the blue toolbar the top to drop down the list of recent notifications, messages, etc.

I reset my Firefox profile and this fixed it (even if it was a bitch to fix my extension settings after). Everything was fine for a little bit, but now it did it again. If I start private browsing, it works fine, but the moment I stop private browsing Facebook is broken.

I tried completely clearing my history (Cache, Cookies, Logons, Site Preferences) etc. No go. Any other suggestions?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

298298 posted:

Now every time I full screen a video it launches a whole new tab for the video where the taskbar is hiding half the controls. Reinstalled flash and nada. Doesn't do it in IE/Chrome.

Why do you do this to me firefox, I just want to love you. Please let me love you.

That's bizarre. Could be an addon. Go through the steps in the OP.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I did, had to end up downloading a 2+ month old version of flash to get it fixed.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

298298 posted:

I noticed that too, though I don't get a new tab - Flash only gets a taskbar entry. Tearing and other annoyances still present and accounted for.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Is there a fix for embedded videos stealing focus and refusing to relinquish it? Any time I play an embedded video, not just Youtube, I have to switch tabs and switch back in order to scroll with arrows/page down/spacebar. And let's not forget where the FF window loses its active status drat near every time I load a new page.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Facebook keeps breaking in a really weird way for me in Firefox. I was viewing a bunch of pictures, and suddenly I can't click on the buttons in the blue toolbar the top to drop down the list of recent notifications, messages, etc.

I reset my Firefox profile and this fixed it (even if it was a bitch to fix my extension settings after). Everything was fine for a little bit, but now it did it again. If I start private browsing, it works fine, but the moment I stop private browsing Facebook is broken.

I tried completely clearing my history (Cache, Cookies, Logons, Site Preferences) etc. No go. Any other suggestions?

I fixed this.

I set Mozilla to ask me whether it can save cookies for a given site. I clicked "allow" for Facebook, and Mozilla put an Allow exception for https://www.facebook.com into its exception list. Facebook apparently doesn't like that and when I added "*.facebook.com" to the exception list it started working again.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

298298 posted:

I did, had to end up downloading a 2+ month old version of flash to get it fixed.

Got the latest graphics drivers?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

hobb posted:

Well that update seems to lock my browser up on any flash content
I'm getting this same issue. It takes ~8-10 minutes to load a YouTube video page; FF doesn't terminate Flash like it should and plugin-container can't be terminated.

Great job, Adobe.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
e: gently caress.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Another day, another Flash update. This one gets a bump to 11.4, so it's more likely to contain fixes to the recent spate of Flash bullshit. I don't see the release notes posted yet so I don't know what it includes.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
This is the by far superior place to download Flash updates:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

WattsvilleBlues posted:

it's more likely to contain fixes to the recent spate of Flash bullshit.

I used to think so, nowadays I just think to myself "don't hold your breath"

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
Those on Aurora/Nightly should note that there's now a potentially hefty thumbnails-old subfolder in your profile folder (mine was 1.3GB) as a result of fixing this bug. This seems to indicate it'll be automatically wiped in a future release.

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 24, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just got firefox 15, and for some reason, the tabs have lost half their height on my theme (Aero Improved). Is this an option somewhere for tiny rear end tabs that is getting set, or could someone recommend another color neutral / matching theme (the default windows 7 one is a shade of blue that only works with the default window color)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

If anyone is running Firefox on a Windows 8 install, it currently has a bug that makes fonts render blurry to different degrees, that changes when you move the mouse near text/click links/highlight text.

Here's a temporary fix:

The Coxie posted:

Edit: Seems to be a bug in firefox that has surfaced due to changes in windows 8 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=760299

Temporary fix:
Head to - about :config and search for - gfx.direct2d.disabled - set to "TRUE"

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The Burning Edge has a good summary of the new features, fixes, and changes in Firefox 17, which appears to be available as an Aurora build now. Standard disclaimer applies: this may not be the build that gets blessed as Aurora 17, your mileage may vary until a release on the official website, back up your profile before trying a new version (or maybe even make a new profile).

xsDaniel
Aug 29, 2012
I'm currently using the Pale Moon 32bit build, and I'm wondering two things:

1. Is it okay to move up to 64bit now? Will I have any compatibility issues, and is it worth the effort
2. Is there a general consensus on which variant of Firefox is the best? Of Blazing Fast, Pale moon, and Waterfox?

Thanks!

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I just updated to Firefox 15 (OS X) and can't figure out how to disable the new rounded Chrome-style tabs. They don't play well with TreeStyleTabs.

I didn't see anything obvious in about :config and found nothing useful on Google.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

xsDaniel posted:

1. Is it okay to move up to 64bit now? Will I have any compatibility issues, and is it worth the effort
You shouldn't have compatibility issues, but it WILL be slower than 32-bit builds. This won't change until they write an optimized JavaScript JIT compiler for x64, which is a low priority since there are no downsides for using 32-bit until they need more than 4GB of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

xsDaniel posted:

I'm currently using the Pale Moon 32bit build, and I'm wondering two things:

2. Is there a general consensus on which variant of Firefox is the best? Of Blazing Fast, Pale moon, and Waterfox?

Thanks!

Waterfox is a better 64 bit build than Pale Moon 64 bit since the Pale Moon guys put little effort into optimizing their 64 bit build. You will not have any compatibility issues unless you're still using arcane outdated plugins like Macromedia Shockwave (not Flash). Also there's no "effort" to it, you simply install the new program and get 64 bit flash/java/silverlight and you're done.

And claims of it being "slower" are pretty much bullshit, if you have a 64 bit system anywhere near recent, like a Core i5 from the generation that was before Sandy Bridge or a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge Core i3; any "slowness" will only show up on meaningless benchmarks not daily browsing.