Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Meme Emulator posted:

I like how Mitsuru and Akihiko look like traditional fighting game designs and everyone rips on them every chance they get.

Also Yukiko is essentially Mai Shiranui drawn with some restraint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I think I've barely seen Mitsuru discussed here. Does anyone have any general tips for using her?

Watch videos on http://www.youtube.com/user/jourdal?feature=g-u-u this channel. Try and find Mitsuru.

Generally work your way into mid range and frustrate them with pokes into full combos. You can do some mixups but they aren't that great. You want to fish for random hits and turn them into big damage.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Speedball posted:

So, any bets on what the other members of SEES look like now that they're older and can pick their own clothing? Because, really, Akihiko's design still floors me.

I have to assume only Akihiko and Mitsuru did this stupid crap as they're the only ones eccentric enough to think those are good.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
If there's anybody else who wants to level up their Teddie game, this tournament features a REALLY good Teddie. Some absolutely amazing games in here.

This video is just one of the videos with him in it, but it shows him off pretty well. I have no idea who the player is, though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WubyJqRyI

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Speedball posted:

So, any bets on what the other members of SEES look like now that they're older and can pick their own clothing? Because, really, Akihiko's design still floors me.

Fuuka's design is pretty sensible, so it's probably just Akihiko and Mitsuru. Though I'd love to see Junpei come out dressed like a samurai or Ken... I don't know, really.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Trampoline posted:

If there's anybody else who wants to level up their Teddie game, this tournament features a REALLY good Teddie. Some absolutely amazing games in here.

This video is just one of the videos with him in it, but it shows him off pretty well. I have no idea who the player is, though!

I've switched to maining Teddie, so this is great for me. I've been having good luck because scrubs have no idea how to deal with Teddie's bullshit, but that won't last forever. Looks like I intuited one part of Teddie's attack strategy correctly; use C to zone, forgo the autocombo in favor of using the bat to drive the opponent to the corner. Does that combo he was using in the first match only work following a corner throw (5B > j.C > j.B > j.A > 5B > 5C > 2C)? It seems odd that he'd use that combo several times with great success, but used a different one at 2:31 (5B > 236C > 236236D > 5B > j.B > j.A > 2B > j.B). It makes me think he couldn't use the first combo for some reason. Or am I reading too much into it and he was just getting bored of using the same one over and over again?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got tips for Kanji vs Yukiko, specifically dealing with her 5C anti-air? I can't seem to get around that move no matter what I do, and if I just block it I never get the chance to hit the persona because he'll chain into agi.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

TheArchimage posted:

I've switched to maining Teddie, so this is great for me. I've been having good luck because scrubs have no idea how to deal with Teddie's bullshit, but that won't last forever. Looks like I intuited one part of Teddie's attack strategy correctly; use C to zone, forgo the autocombo in favor of using the bat to drive the opponent to the corner. Does that combo he was using in the first match only work following a corner throw (5B > j.C > j.B > j.A > 5B > 5C > 2C)? It seems odd that he'd use that combo several times with great success, but used a different one at 2:31 (5B > 236C > 236236D > 5B > j.B > j.A > 2B > j.B). It makes me think he couldn't use the first combo for some reason. Or am I reading too much into it and he was just getting bored of using the same one over and over again?

That first combo will work after a corner throw or a counter-hit 5B, if they're close enough to the corner to run up and get a second 5B off. The second combo is... swag, probably. Charging the 5D up, he gets the Rage Drink and Thunder Drum, so the person can't block and can't move. Then he just goes into the missile super to finish it because hey! They can't block at all. Probably just styling after predicting the burst.

The first combo will generally always work if you're in the corner, but I am so bad at doing the superjump part of the combo. :negative:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Narukami can only sometimes punish mitsuru's 5A chain whiffing midscreen with his 5B, half the time she gets pushed to far out of range, nothing else is fast enough and she can block.

It gets even better with the 5A untill I'm about to whiff -> sweep -> droit blocksting that you'd need to be clincally dead to not do.

I can punish the sweep with a DP, and in the corner if she does it as meaty as possible I can grab her out of it

I can only punish either version of droit by instant blocking,(keeping in mind online lag, the ability to charge the B version and the fact if I mess up I get to eat a bunch of damage and start all over)

If she just does 5A into droit raw and only hits with the edge of her sword I can't punish her even with instant block because she's out of range.

gently caress this character :suicide:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Mr. Trampoline posted:

This is amazing. thanks for linking this.

I want to learn Kanji as well as Teddie, but everytime I play Teddie the less I want to play Kanji :(

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Elephunk posted:

Oh , here's how you beat Yosuke's blockstrings (but dont tell anybody or ill lose):

When you block a jackie chan run up your chest move and he goes into moonsault, you dont even have to guess which way to block just jump up and immediately airhtrow me
You're my hero. A local Yosuke player does this all the time and I didn't know what to do about it.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Jmcrofts posted:

Anyone got tips for Kanji vs Yukiko, specifically dealing with her 5C anti-air? I can't seem to get around that move no matter what I do, and if I just block it I never get the chance to hit the persona because he'll chain into agi.

I could use a little help, too. The only time I've reliably dealt with Yukiko is by spamming 5D and 2D and the other person didn't catch on. If it's not a fan spammer then I'm usually toast against Yukiko...She can control the air too well.

I've been neglecting this game but hope to play more this week and figure some stuff out. More people need to be bashed with chairs!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I main Kanji and I've found a sure fire way to deal with this stuff.

I've also learned to play Teddie, Elizabeth, Yu, and Chie.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Kanji barely got through week 1 grappler syndrome it seems. Everyone has already figured out how to lame him out with their respective characters. The Kanjis that are still doing well are the ones that can make really good reads/guesses.
Normally on ranked Kanji is a free win for me(Aigis) but the other day I played a really smart Kanji who was always one step ahead. I was really impressed and I hope people don't completely drop him. I find the really good ones incredibly fun to fight.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

Normally on ranked Kanji is a free win for me(Aigis) but the other day I played a really smart Kanji who was always one step ahead. I was really impressed and I hope people don't completely drop him. I find the really good ones incredibly fun to fight.
About a week ago at a tournament streamed on FinestKO's channel there was this sick Kanji player, Pain, that did just that against an Aigis as well, playing extremely patiently and waiting out her orgia mode each time. It was an absolute blast to watch.
http://www.twitch.tv/finestko/b/328300640?t=6h56m30s

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Kanji's Ferocious Action is so scary. I sat there and ran a set with my friend where I lost 2-8 trying to work on my Labrys game. I just couldn't deal.

I do okay with my other characters, but I just fall on my face every time using regular Labrys. I can't figure out how to get around the strength of his Ferocious Action in that match-up. I don't suppose there was a good Kanji versus Labrys match at a tournament recently I could watch for some ideas or something?

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

I love how you can see the Aigis player thinking to himself, "This cannot be happening, I cannot be losing to the worst character in the game, this cannot be loving happening!"

ETA: Oh what, did he get DQed for pausing at the end? I'm not getting any audio so I can't tell what's going on.

TheArchimage fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 21, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TheArchimage posted:

I love how you can see the Aigis player thinking to himself, "This cannot be happening, I cannot be losing to the worst character in the game, this cannot be loving happening!"

ETA: Oh what, did he get DQed for pausing at the end? I'm not getting any audio so I can't tell what's going on.

Can't be bothered to re-watch it, but IIRC someone else had a wireless pad and THEY got disualified.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
So this is a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway. What exactly are the "Navigators" you unlock? Is it just mid match announcing or what? Also is the only non-monetary way to unlock them score attack? I've never been good at those modes outside of GGXX...

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

They're like your personal coaches/cheerleaders throughout the match. You can unlock one through completing story mode and then the rest are through score attack I believe.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Ah gotcha, thanks haha. Score attack mode though oof. I'd prefer if it was maybe completing all challenges or stories but whatcha gonna do? ...Not that I've been able to complete all the challenges either. I'll just have to get better!

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If anyone is interested in learning Shadow Labrys, there's a 93 minute video on a-cho's Youtube page containing a ton of matches from a tournament, most of which feature a really good SLab player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m35ZEVYiUg
These are some really entertaining matches, thanks for sharing :)

Also fuckin lol at 31:25

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Well, the Mitsuru Navigator is unlocked for completing all 30 of any character's challenges, if you specifically want her. People in the thread have said that S.Lab is one of the easiest to do it with, but I haven't touched her at all, so I wouldn't know.

Out of the characters I have completed challenge mode with, Yukiko has a pretty simple and easy to execute solution to challenge 30 if you're willing to cheat it a little bit. However, some of her later challenges are a bit difficult execution wise, specifically the ones that have you hold the B explosion of SP Agi. Regular Labrys is mostly easy, but 22x chain holding and the strict timing for combing after Brutal Strike is a bit awkward, both of which are also needed for her challenge 30.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Yea I have yet to figure out how you're supposed to chain the supers together at the end of some of them. It seems after you hit one, they wake back up for me and go into block mode.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LibbyM posted:

Kanji's Ferocious Action is so scary. I sat there and ran a set with my friend where I lost 2-8 trying to work on my Labrys game. I just couldn't deal.

I do okay with my other characters, but I just fall on my face every time using regular Labrys. I can't figure out how to get around the strength of his Ferocious Action in that match-up. I don't suppose there was a good Kanji versus Labrys match at a tournament recently I could watch for some ideas or something?

Block and punish? That's a lovely answer I know.

Big thing to remember about Labrys is that all of your physical normals suck and are at frame disadvantage and you only have 2 reliable chains that don't have gaps in them. Those being, 5AA, and 2AAA. j.BB I believe is also solid but that one is iffy at best, and j.BB is actually not even an overhead. EVERYTHING else has gaps, you have nothing that is a solid block string. So be aware, and if he's one to mash DP every chance he gets, let him dig his own grave.

A good tool if they mash DP like crazy, try using this bait off your reset:

5A 5B 2A+B x 22B .. Jump forward, hold back, let sword release ASAP

If Kanji tried to DP, you'll block it, free punish. If he blocks the sword, you can go for an ATG mixup on him. If he rolls, you in theory have enough time to air back dash and punish him. But you might have to be predictive on that. I haven't experimented with OSing this, like say, jump forward, hold back, air backdash, to bait both DPs and Rolls, but it might be possible.

Remember also you are fighting a grappler, and you aren't obligated to rush him down even if you have Yellow/Red axe level. Don't be afraid to IABD j.D or anything else. Don't just jump around swinging j.B either, that's a really easy way to get yourself killed. Make sure you learn how to use 5C and j.D well.

And of course the most important part is to make sure you know all 6,000 combos you need and make sure your resets are solid.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What should I do as Mitsuru against zoning characters like Yukiko and Elizabeth? They seem to be able to keep me away pretty well, the only way I get it is when they make a mistake.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

What should I do as Mitsuru against zoning characters like Yukiko and Elizabeth? They seem to be able to keep me away pretty well, the only way I get it is when they make a mistake.
At about 3/4ths screen you can threaten B/SB drill if they try to press something. Seeing as they are both low life characters it's going to do like 2k on counterhit by itself and even more depending on the corner or not

You can also guess a 5dd through a projectile startup

dj_de fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 21, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Press any variation of D.

Get into A range.

Press A.

Against Liz you can use Mitsuru's rush attack to break through a persona and hit her in recovery. Once you're in A range, your normals beat their normals almost 100% of the time.

If you're really having trouble with Liz's BD action, just use jump C. It's the easiest way of not getting hit and you get a nice CH combo off it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Waterbed posted:

Press any variation of D.

Yeah, as Yukiko, Artimisia is a pain in the rear end from anything less than a full screen away.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

See I was thinking D was too slow/obvious to be really useful that far away, I'll have to give it another shot then.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
For any new Yosukes out there, found this combo on Dustloop. Really easy 5.5k Fatal counter combo, doable anywhere on the screen. Really good way to start maximizing your damage with him.

Fatal Counter 2C, 236B, j.2C, 2A, 2B, 2C, jump cancel j.b, j.b, j.2B, 236B~A, 236A~A, D Kunai

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I know that people say that S.Labrys needs high execution to use properly, but how in the gently caress do I defend against her? I don't know how to handle two opponents at once, which is basically the case against even novice Slab players.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
So does anyone have a decent explanation regarding how you use Aigis's instant kill. Actually doing D.D.D.+CD in mid-air never seems to work for me. Should I be in hover mode or something?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

EndOfTheWorld posted:

So does anyone have a decent explanation regarding how you use Aigis's instant kill. Actually doing D.D.D.+CD in mid-air never seems to work for me. Should I be in hover mode or something?

No it's just what you said it was. You might need bullets to use it but beyond that you just do the command. Also it's pretty garbage as far as IKs go and you can pretty much plan on it never working.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Buhbuhj posted:

No it's just what you said it was. You might need bullets to use it but beyond that you just do the command. Also it's pretty garbage as far as IKs go and you can pretty much plan on it never working.

Thanks. Honestly, I'm just going for the trophy, so the feasibility of using it in actual game play doesn't bug me too much.

edit: And it works the first time I try it after posting this! Ya'll are magic. :allears:

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 22, 2012

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I've been having trouble finding matches with decent connections. Quick Match takes forever and throws me into some >150ms nightmare nine times out of ten. Custom Match with Fast Connections never connects at all. When I pull up the manual listing all I see is a bunch of names with no connections listed and a few 0s.

I've never really played online on PS3 before, but on PC I have a low ping and never have issues hosting or connecting to people. I've tried a number of things with the (Tomato) router, from letting uPNP do the work to forwarding ports manually to DMZing the PS3. Nothing seems to make any difference.

Any ideas? Or is this just what 'a fighting game with decent netcode' actually means?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Got this game at launch but finally had a chance to play it. I really like how it feels, very fast and fluid although Kanji feels way more awkward to play than I thought he would - his Persona plays like a big Arc Sys grappler but he is kinda quick and small, it's weird. I'm still trying out the different characters, Yu feels a lot like Ky from GG and it's a bit weird trying to get used to the fact that everyone has a little guy they summon too that controls differently from them.

The control scheme really messes with me though. There is a two button combo for everything what the hell! It's ok to add a fifth button sometimes guys! I guess If you set A+B to a single button you can kinda pretend it's the Dust button from GG, since 2A+B is sweep and 5A+B is overhead launcher. Actually in some ways this game feels a lot more like GG than BB did.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Arturo Sanchez is streaming some P4A lobby with various competitive players: http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Got this game at launch but finally had a chance to play it. I really like how it feels, very fast and fluid although Kanji feels way more awkward to play than I thought he would - his Persona plays like a big Arc Sys grappler but he is kinda quick and small, it's weird. I'm still trying out the different characters, Yu feels a lot like Ky from GG and it's a bit weird trying to get used to the fact that everyone has a little guy they summon too that controls differently from them.

The control scheme really messes with me though. There is a two button combo for everything what the hell! It's ok to add a fifth button sometimes guys! I guess If you set A+B to a single button you can kinda pretend it's the Dust button from GG, since 2A+B is sweep and 5A+B is overhead launcher. Actually in some ways this game feels a lot more like GG than BB did.

The control scheme really hosed with my head for the first 2 days, just stick with it and then it will all flow.

Yeah as for Kanji specifically, I always felt super awkward playing him too, it's prob cause he has an air-dash(unlike tager/potemkin), and his really messed up run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Still finding the lists of 200 combos on Dustloop overwhelming...

Anyone (Troffen) want to throw out a Yu BNB? All I know right now is basic combo into sweep oki or furious action BB BB super

Also looking for the most reliable confirm Chie goes for off of 5A or 2A or whatever move she starts combos with (do you really poke with 5B?)

• Locked thread