Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Wow, dude. Your players are... wow. If I'm following this right, one (or more) of your players rapes an npc, then tortures the npc, then decides to have wacky fun in a hospital by pretending a snickers bar is a piece of poop.

Thank god my players are all sane. I couldn't deal with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
That about sums it up. Two players raped the NPC, three partook in traumatizing him at a BBQ they were throwing and one player (absent from all the raping and destroying family stuff) went on a violent one and a half hour poop related adventure that's going to land him in court.

But they didn't kill anyone this time, which is a possible first.

Edit: Weeks passed between the raping and the BBQ evening.

Doktor Per fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 20, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

An npc, having a barbecue?! Just what is going on in this game...

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
What the gently caress did I just read.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Why are you playing with these people? Why would you share that?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I have so many questions. Did you make them roll their Rape skill at +1 because of the double team bonus? What kind of mechanics do you use to let players psychologically torture someone they had previously gang raped? Do you graft on a table from FATAL for that or roleplay it extensively? Was having the rape victim take vicious sadistic revenge an in-character punishment for the rapey adventure or was it "all in good fun", like, a perfectly natural part of the narrative? What kind of to-hit or damage bonus do you get from using fake poop as a weapon?

And why, in the name of every dead god in the universe, would you relay that making it sound like it's a positive story and why doesn't it end with "holy god these people are sociopaths or possibly fourteen years old and I'm never playing with them againthey are not my friends anymore"?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Dude, you should probably stop hanging out with people who think make-believe rape is funny/fun.

And get some therapy because it's a huge red flag that you don't see a problem with that behavior (or maybe mention that you do in future make-believe rape stories so you don't look like a broken person)

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
Why are they having a BBQ?
They just got home from the hospital after being on a mission fighting cybernetic terrorists, losing four of their friends while on the job and one of the most sane war criminals really missed his wife and child. They invited their neighbors to be polite and then remembered that the dead PCs had raped the dad/husband from next door. A pretty long roleplaying sequence where they were hogging the guy telling him rapejokes, rape allusions or rape double entendres untill he couldn't really speak any more and left. This isn't really the worst thing they've done as they've blown up an entire settlement, families and children and all "to finish a mission fast." The thousands of mining families who were just there were collateral damage.

There have been no rape "rolls" and there are no rape mechanics. They rolled to subdue him and then I faded to black. None of us are uncomfortable around the darkest subject matter. The victim wasn't any sort of threat to a bunch of trained killers with the access to the hardware they have in their house. So it was just very tragic and sad.

At the end of the day, everyone had a good time roleplaying cybernetic monster-men who make terrible decisions in every understanding of the word and those guys are some of my best friends and nothing like their characters. Outside of this game they are kind and compassionate all-around good guys. Just twice a month, some become terrible beings in a shared imaginary world. Maybe this has something to do with everyone having read everything Game of Thrones but me.

Fake poop/melted snickers is an improvised weapon so it has a -2 modifier, the janitor had total cover which upped the DC by 4. He got a +2 from cybernetics tho. There was no damage, he had no intention of harming a man with the fake poop. Only his augmented fists.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

Doktor Per posted:

They invited their neighbors to be polite and then remembered that the dead PCs had raped the dad/husband from next door. A pretty long roleplaying sequence where they were hogging the guy telling him rapejokes, rape allusions or rape double entendres untill he couldn't really speak any more and left. This isn't really the worst thing they've done as they've blown up an entire settlement, families and children and all "to finish a mission fast." The thousands of mining families who were just there were collateral damage.

None of us are uncomfortable around the darkest subject matter. The victim wasn't any sort of threat to a bunch of trained killers with the access to the hardware they have in their house. So it was just very tragic and sad.

At the end of the day, everyone had a good time

:suspense:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Username/post combo should say it all, Doktor Per.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
I don't know if it's just the stark narration style or the strange combination of seemingly total awareness of how hosed up the subject matter is and the casual way it's handled, but I don't think I'd want to hang out with people who found that story fun.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think its the way I am imagining a DM who is just so SO used to the utter barbarity of his players that he now has no context for normal interaction. When planning a campaign it becomes one long slog before every character is either murdered or defiled.

Seriously mate, get out of there and stop DM'ing for the worlds worst players.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If everyone in that story is less than 15 it's understandable.

I didn't say "desirable". I didn't say "acceptable".

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
The group is all in our mid-twenties.

We started playing this campaign almost a year ago, shortly after I was charged out of a psych ward after a complete mental break down, so I've gotten quite used to the savagery. For every three horrible things that are committed, one sort of nice and heartwarming happen. I'll share a tale.

It's shortly after blowing up a mining colony, they're positioned in Detroit trying to find a way to off Dick Jones, but after they stole a credit card off a fixer the session derailed into a shopping trip to the local mall. The late Dolph Lundgren had just slipped dangerously close to cyber psychosis and was feeling all sorts of vulnerable. He tries picking up a 60 year old woman working in a jewelry store, they go out on a date in the food court and things are going well until he approaches the main subject.
"So wanna get in your car and gently caress?" *fumbles seduction*
The lady excuses herself and leaves. He has a total meltdown, running crying to the nearest payphone calling up his senior officer Jim John Jackson (who was even further gone down the psycho hole) just cryshouting into the phone. sort of like this. Somehow Jim John comprehends what's being said, and goes to pick him up while the crying Lundgren has drawn the attention of security.
When Jim John arrives at the mall, the two mall cops are sitting outside with Dolph crying, sipping on hot cocoa, sucking snot up his nose. Dolph gets up, hugs the mall cops, thanks them for being nice and letting him use their blanket and gets on the bike behind his senior officer and ride to the motel together.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
:stare: I think your definition of "heartwarming" has been broken along with everything else.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You gotta admit, it does fit the thread title though. Even if it hadn't before, everyone coming out of the woodwork to comment on it shows that yes, it's notable.

Also, ignoring the original story I loved the ending to Cocoa time Cyborg.

"Sir, there is a crazed cyborg crying."
"Well, we COULD try to apprehend them... And die. Or we could give them cocoa and everybody wins."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 22, 2012

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Section Z posted:

You gotta admit, it does fit the thread title though.

Only because he's the one with the cat-piss.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
The thing about using rape in a game is if you do end up doing it, everyone should be aware that it is not a good thing, and not a fun thing, it needs to be understood by all the players and GM that it should only ever be done if...
1) it's a vital point in the progression of the plot, an event that cannot be avoided and serves to only further the story line/character arc.
2) That the players/GM involved fully understand that doing so makes them terrible people.
3) If the action can be handled maturely and sensibly by both Players and GM and performed without being offensive to actual rape victims.

Now I will be honest, a member of my gaming group is an actual victim. There have been points (I am ashamed to say) in games I have run or played in that an in game rape has occurred, sometimes to a player sometimes to an NPC, and though none of us ever wanted it to happen every so often it reared it's ugly head. Every time the matter was discussed thoroughly both before and after the event, with focus on the mental trauma that the character would undergo and wether or not the event was needed or wanted.

Even so I still feel very guilty and sick whenever it comes up in my own games. Hell I even had to go and vomit one time after it was planned to occur between two NPCs. But thankfully we planed it so the party had time to break out of confinement and stop it before it could happen.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Dude. It's a make-believe game. You get to decide what happens, it's not like it just happened out of nowhere and nobody could stop it.

If it made the story more engaging and is handled in a mature way, and, most importantly, it didn't make anyone actually uncomfortable, sure. But if I was DMing for a rape victim and/or it made me physically ill to contemplate? gently caress no I wouldn't bring that up, and if anyone started to my exact words would be, hopefully quickly and quietly before anyone else noticed, "Dude, no. Moving on." And if I went too far (and the most I'd ever say would be something like, "Women don't say sane long in Heldrak the Evil's care...") to where somebody started to look the slightest bit uncomfortable, I'd be absolutely mortified that I misjudged the tolerance level, apologize, and never bring anything like that up again.

I mean if it goes beyond an off-screen thing that explains why an NPC is either super-evil or traumatized or whatever, you've gone beyond playing a game and you're now either having a group therapy session or some creepy shared erotic reading. Not that I care if you want to engage in either of those activities, but it ain't gaming, or not as I know it or I think most people would think of it anyway.

Like, is puking a part of your normal day or something? I guess if I threw up every other week I'd shrug it off, but as it stands right now I'd be like, "holy poo poo what the gently caress am I doing to myself?"

wellwhoopdedooo fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 22, 2012

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Doktor Per posted:

The group is all in our mid-twenties.

We started playing this campaign almost a year ago, shortly after I was charged out of a psych ward after a complete mental break down, so I've gotten quite used to the savagery. For every three horrible things that are committed, one sort of nice and heartwarming happen. I'll share a tale.

Dude. Seriously. Read the other stories in this thread. Look at what normal people describe as fun. It's stuff like creative locations, cool surprises, bending the rules to accomplish awesome stunts or following their letter to absurdity for fun's sake, interesting NPC's with their own motives, roleplaying through a situation in a way that makes sense, and so on. It's delving into ancient ruins, punching Nazis, staking vampires, double-crossing cunning gangsters, staging coups and founding fringe religions. It's things that follow the patterns of narratives we all know and love, the violence is cartoonish, the enthusiasm is child-like and it's friends sharing a story that's, you know, fun and exciting and occasionally silly.

Now, that kind of thing brings people together and it can be incredibly therapeutic. But your games are about wanton mass murder of innocents, rape, torture, deliberately inflicted psychological trauma, having a psychotic break because you can't mack on a GMILF, and a whole heap of other atrocities, and it all follows some sort of horrific backwards nightmare logic. It seems that's not even something that "happens", it's just what you guys do. That is not normal. Normal, well-adjusted people do not sit together and describe power fantasies of sadistically hurting innocents and weird antisocial behavior. People get over that poo poo in like three sessions when they start roleplaying at 14 years old because they quickly discover it's pointless, boring and eventually becomes really uncomfortable. If they don't, something is wrong.

Honestly, I was just going to laugh at you, but you mentioned this mental breakdown thing. This is probably not good for your mental health as attested by the fact that you think the content of your sessions is perfectly reasonable. Look at the reaction of people here: everybody outside of your circle finds it horrifying, and SA is not exactly populated by puritannical morality crusaders. Find a different group, of cool people who view roleplaying games as the mostly innocent fun they should be, and play with them with an open mind. By cool people I mean that sessions are about, you know, adventures, not rape and torture and two-hour segments about feces.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

To try and actually post something positive, one of my newer players got an awesome scene in our last game that he really seemed to love. He plays a robot character, and one of the running jokes is that he doesn't have a soul. Also, as a ranger, he's got a robot puma that in one session killed an enemy I had dubbed the "King of Rats". So, another running joke that I played along with was that his puma was the new King of Rats. There was a whole running joke about Rat Nobility, the church of the Rat God, whether you can be the King of Rats if you don't have a soul, and what position of the nobility is accessible to one without a soul. So it was eventually decided on that the Puma had a soul, and was the King of Rats, and he didn't and was the Chancellor of the King of Rats.

So, fast forward a couple weeks, and they're in an underground temple. After killing the big bad evil guy, they explore around a bit. I had shaded over some areas behind big steel doors for them to find, break into, and loot. But in one of the rooms, he makes an offhand comment that the carving on the floor is indicative of the Rat Pope. I paused the game while we got food, and a quick job in GIMP gets me this:

They crack the door, and find a Rat Honor Guard leading to the Rat Pope. At this point, I'm fairly sure the party is going to follow the usual tactic of killing everything and looting the corpses. I've got some ideas about letting the Puma score the killing blow, and then becoming the God-Emperor of Rats, but in a surprising show of restraint they actually act on their best behavior. Robot dude even bows to him and kisses his tiny Rat Pope Ring. So I've got to pull out the big guns, I have the Rat Pope recoil from him, and announce that the Rat Pope can tell he doesn't have a soul. I'm already starting to get initiative rolls ready, when he busts off with a big speech about how he may not have a soul, but he still does the right thing, and a whole lot of other stuff I never would have expected from him.

I'm stunned, at this point. So I do the only thing I can think of. The Rat Pope kills one of the nearby rats, and grants his soul to the robot guy. Then makes him a Bishop of the Church of the Rat God. They let the rats leave, set up the mobile island base they won in combat as Rattican City, and the loving party paladin announces that he's considering either converting to the Church of the Rat God, or finding some ways to bring it together into his own church. Everyone levels up, session ends.

I've still got to come up with some nice boons/magic items for the robot character, but I was amazed at how well it all came together. I love my players.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Raperaperaperape, vomit.

Or you could just, I dunno, maybe not include rape in your games. Like, at all. That poo poo's hosed, yo.

On a lighter note, I returned back to roleplaying after a four month long hiatus (which I spent mostly running in the woods with a camera so I had very little time for roleplay). My last rp'ing before the hiatus was a campaign of Qin, which lasted a whole of three sessions and was loving awful, as most of the sessions I just spent hours doing gently caress all while one of the players had a 3 hour long duel with an npc. So, suffice to say I was a little hesitant about returning.

We've now played two sessions of a fantasy game called "Tales of Generia", GM:d by Mark, who, while a mainstay in our group, had never GM:d before as far as I know. And surprisingly, he's pretty drat good. There are no douche NPC:s, no railroading and no infighting. He let us have a lot of in-party banter and lets the players develop our backstories on the fly, which leads to hilarious exchanges and situations.

We play as a sort of a family; I play a half-elf, Shroom plays a human who's married to the half-elf's sister, and Eric plays Shroom's brother. They're both mages, and somewhat bonkers. Contrary to what I usually play (a sociopath) I decided to play a paragon of good, whose motive to adventuring is to simply make the world a better place. I made the character stupid, but strong and fast. He's named Futilius. Eric's mage is a drunkard and a slob, who only cares about money, and Shroom's mage is a power hungry bigot who also wants to "cure" the half-elf race by removing the elf part of the equation. Also, although paired with two mages, my character fears and hates magic, as magic tends to go horribly wrong very often in this setting.

With a party like that, the parts of the game that are not adventure turn very much into "Tales of generia: The sitcom". Which, admittedly, sounds painful, but for the whole of the gaming group is a blast.

For example, a discussion on the second with a person offering a bounty for some goblins went like this;

NPC: (tells us about a goblin threat and how the city watch won't do anything about it; and a curious detail, the goblins use bows)
Shroom: Goblins don't use bows, it must be an illusion by a powerful mage!
NPC: Uh...
Shroom: We should capture this mage so I can absorb his power.
NPC: So, about the goblins...
Eric: I could do a spell of detect magic to find him!
Me: Guys, there's no mage, it's goblins.
NPC: As I was saying...
Eric: This man clearly does not have the mental capacity to understand the gravity of the situation.
Shroom: Perhaps I should put a spell on him to increase his wisdom!
NPC stars glancing at us like madmen.
Me: No! No spells, my sister told me about what happened to those rats!

(Shroom had tried his spells on some rats in his basement and accidentally caused their heads to explode)

Shroom: I was only trying to improve them.
Me: And you didn't even clean the blood off the carpet afterwards. I don't want you to blow this mans head off!
NPC: Wait, what? Blow whose what off?

All of us stop talking and stare at him, then Eric deadpans.
Eric: So what's the pay?

The man is pretty much speechless and starts looking for an alarm.
Me: That's it. Out with you two.
I grab the brothers by the collars, throw them out and close the door.

Me: Now, tell me about those goblins.

Outside, they begin to make plans of their own.
Shroom: I want to hear what they're talking about.
Eric: I know, we should make a portal on the ceiling so we can hear and see them!
Me: We can hear you!
Eric: Wait, what?
GM: There's an open window next to the door.

So they just poke their heads through the window.

Eric: Ask him about the pay!
Me: We didn't become adventurers for money! :eng101:
Eric: I sure did!
Shroom: And I!
Me: :eng99:

Eventually the NPC told us about the bounty, and we went on to trek on the burned grounds of goblin territory, hunting pork with portal magic and annihilating goblins with fire and steel. Eric and Shroom turned out to be partially right about the goblins, too; they were reinforced by a shaman, living deep in the caves of the burned land...

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Suleman posted:

PDQ #: Talking Heads

Invisible Assassins.

A giant bat! It was preparing to attack, its assassin master is somewhere nearby, and we're in a park with no place to run or hide. We had to think fast. I (Balicci's player), asked the GM:

:parrot:: So we've got our paint guns now?
:frogon:: ...Yees.
:parrot:: Is the paint... flammable?
:frogon:: Yes.
:parrot:: To the point of being explosive?
:getin:: Oh, yes.

Balicci threw his paint canister to Chuck, who tossed it towards the approaching bat. Balicci blew it up with a bullet, causing an explosion that, while not that powerful, was enough to completely wreck the poor bat's hypersensitive hearing.
As the bat fell from the sky, a nearby civilian also clutched his head and screamed. The assassin was revealed, and we managed to stop him from killing himself with a poisoned needle.
We brought him to a safe place, and prepared to interrogate him. Balicci recognized him as Giuseppe, from the newest generation of assassins. Balicci used to teach him. Balicci and Parrot gave him some really good intimidation, carefully thought out, threatening to use some of the techniques taught by Mother Owl, a feared matriarch of the assassins. However...

"I AM SORRY MISTER CORTO BUT I CAN'T HEAR YOU"

The explosion had apparently also deafened him through the link he shared with the bat. He could read lips, but Parrot had none.
Chuck stepped in and we skipped straight to the point: Who? Where? Why?
It turns out that after Balicci left the organization, there were some changes in leadership, with many of the old masters now dead. Balicci's students were now lead by a fellow named Levantine, who in turn worked for our arch-nemesis, the mad doctor Genesi. The advances with the Procedure, the enchanced animals (a snake, an albatross and a bloodhound) and a new improved elixir were provided by the doctor, who in turn wanted the assassins to take us out.

Balicci believed the Sightless (as the invisible assassins called themselves) were using the organization's old hideout in Venice: The clocktower of the abandoned old town hall. We moved out.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Captain Bravo posted:

Rattican City

This is how you have a fun adventure without rape. They didn't rape those rats even once.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 22, 2012

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

Volmarias posted:

This is how you have a fun adventure without rape.

This should definitely be the next thread's subtitle.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Josef bugman posted:

I think its the way I am imagining a DM who is just so SO used to the utter barbarity of his players that he now has no context for normal interaction. When planning a campaign it becomes one long slog before every character is either murdered or defiled.

You just described the operating assumptions I make when planning a campaign.

If the PCs are allowed to have uninterrupted line of sight on a character, or simply be in the same building, then it is an open admission that that character is now expendable, and any plot which requires them to not be mutilated, killed, or humiliated to an extent where the former two would be preferable, is an optional route.

And much like Doktor, well, I'm still good friends with all the various players from multiple groups worth that I've run for, but nonetheless, in the highly unlikely scenario that I create an NPC I would actually be upset to see bad poo poo happen to, they are *never* going to interact with that person except over the phone or something. Though a direct conversation is pretty risky, even then. I've seen some poo poo.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I lost it at Rattican City. You have awesome players, Captain Bravo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Notable Gaming Experiences #2: They didn't rape those rats even once.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain Bravo posted:

To try and actually post something positive, one of my newer players got an awesome scene in our last game that he really seemed to love. He plays a robot character, and one of the running jokes is that he doesn't have a soul. Also, as a ranger, he's got a robot puma that in one session killed an enemy I had dubbed the "King of Rats". So, another running joke that I played along with was that his puma was the new King of Rats. There was a whole running joke about Rat Nobility, the church of the Rat God, whether you can be the King of Rats if you don't have a soul, and what position of the nobility is accessible to one without a soul. So it was eventually decided on that the Puma had a soul, and was the King of Rats, and he didn't and was the Chancellor of the King of Rats.

So, fast forward a couple weeks, and they're in an underground temple. After killing the big bad evil guy, they explore around a bit. I had shaded over some areas behind big steel doors for them to find, break into, and loot. But in one of the rooms, he makes an offhand comment that the carving on the floor is indicative of the Rat Pope. I paused the game while we got food, and a quick job in GIMP gets me this:

They crack the door, and find a Rat Honor Guard leading to the Rat Pope. At this point, I'm fairly sure the party is going to follow the usual tactic of killing everything and looting the corpses. I've got some ideas about letting the Puma score the killing blow, and then becoming the God-Emperor of Rats, but in a surprising show of restraint they actually act on their best behavior. Robot dude even bows to him and kisses his tiny Rat Pope Ring. So I've got to pull out the big guns, I have the Rat Pope recoil from him, and announce that the Rat Pope can tell he doesn't have a soul. I'm already starting to get initiative rolls ready, when he busts off with a big speech about how he may not have a soul, but he still does the right thing, and a whole lot of other stuff I never would have expected from him.

I'm stunned, at this point. So I do the only thing I can think of. The Rat Pope kills one of the nearby rats, and grants his soul to the robot guy. Then makes him a Bishop of the Church of the Rat God. They let the rats leave, set up the mobile island base they won in combat as Rattican City, and the loving party paladin announces that he's considering either converting to the Church of the Rat God, or finding some ways to bring it together into his own church. Everyone levels up, session ends.

I've still got to come up with some nice boons/magic items for the robot character, but I was amazed at how well it all came together. I love my players.

The Robot King of Rats being granted a soul by the Rat Pope.

That's why I game.

That, right there.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sebmojo posted:

The Chancellor of the Robot King of Rats being granted a soul by the Rat Pope.

:smugbert:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Because as a lifetime of video games have taught us, having a soul is definitely not a requirement to be a chancellor.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Arashiofordo3 posted:

1) it's a vital point in the progression of the plot, an event that cannot be avoided and serves to only further the story line/character arc.

'aight, let's just get this out here then. What sort of situation exists where rape is literally the only way to loving progress the plot? Because goddamn I want to see what sort of bizarre, twisting corners your logic takes to get there.

I've GM'ed and played for ten years or more now and somehow, I've completely avoided these situations.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Everyone posted:

Rage.

Wow, so that's what it looks like when I get piss blind drunk and post on something awful. poo poo guys. I'm sorry. :(

Let me make a few addendum's with the logic of the sober on my side.

Drunk me posted:

I think I was trying to be sarcastic... as in 'If this is your story then you are completely hosed in the head'. I think.

Drunk me posted:

2) That the players/GM involved fully understand that doing so makes them terrible people.
3) If the action can be handled maturely and sensibly by both Players and GM and performed without being offensive to actual rape victims.

Really not sure if I was being serious with these two... I think I might have been...

Drunk me posted:

Even so I still feel very guilty and sick whenever it comes up in my own games. Hell I even had to go and vomit one time after it was planned to occur between two NPCs. But thankfully we planed it so the party had time to break out of confinement and stop it before it could happen.

Drunk me posted:

go and vomit one time

Drunk me posted:

vomit

Okay this one needs more explaining. I'm someone who has a few social problems, I'm fairly desensitized at the best of time, very rairly getting a reaction out of the worst things humanity has to offer. In point of fact I spend most of my time struggling to get an emotional reaction out of myself in most situations I come across. I read the general hate thread in PYF and feel literally nothing. No hate, no rage, no disgust. Just empty soulless nothing. When I vomited I was genuinely happy, it was proof that there was still a part of me that could feel utter disgust. I took that away as a positive thing. You really don't have to tell me that's hosed up I'm fairly aware of that all ready.

Then again this is the best and worst role play stories thread, so I guess this is my worst story. Take it or leave it I guess.

But back to my original point. Some of the things I posted here are messed up. Logic that I can't really comprehend myself now I come to look at it, and rambling sentences that don't make a lot of sense to me. Manly the bit about using rape in my games. The closest I've ever come to something like that is when an NPC seduced a player in a nightclub. Thats it, I don't know where else my drunken self thinks I've used rape because for the life of me I have no god drat clue what he's talking about.

To sum up. Drunk me is a arsehole who likes to play devils advocate for something that doesn't need to be argued over. Sorry everyone I'll try and not leave my computer on and then go drinking again.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm not sure whether that explanation makes things better or worse. :crossarms:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The worst thing about roleplaying games is the people who play them.

True on ENWorld, true on RPGnet, true in real life, and true here.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

'aight, let's just get this out here then. What sort of situation exists where rape is literally the only way to loving progress the plot? Because goddamn I want to see what sort of bizarre, twisting corners your logic takes to get there.

I've GM'ed and played for ten years or more now and somehow, I've completely avoided these situations.

Groups don't sit around talking about the logistics of taking a crap in the woods, rolling to see if they accidentally use poison ivy to wipe or have charts for when characters get yeast infections and how that would impact their initiative rolls - It's understood that it's an epic fantasy, and certain things don't need to be included. Rape should probably be treated in the same way where it might have happened to a character at sometime, but it's not brought up and it's not a plot point. It definitely doesn't need to be lovingly described or role-played either. If you're playing a game where you're constantly reminded a character is a rapist/is raping people then someone is putting their fetishes or issues into the game, just like a weirdo who spends the whole session talking about their character's bowel movements.

Rape is really too big an issue to use in a game like that, especially when you don't know the backgrounds of everyone at the table. Hell, back in my edgy youth "no, gently caress you dad!" days I tried to play a rapist elf, and even at the height of ignorance and stupidity I realized how awful it made everything. Less than 3 sessions in I "retired" the character, rolled a new one and the game improved considerably for everyone.

Arashiofordo3, your players are literally worse than a lovely 16 year old, antisocial ignoramus. I think you should probably try playing some of the DnD games online with some goons for a while to see how actual "fun" and interesting it can get without everyone raping everyone else.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Groups don't sit around talking about the logistics of taking a crap in the woods, rolling to see if they accidentally use poison ivy to wipe or have charts for when characters get yeast infections and how that would impact their initiative rolls - It's understood that it's an epic fantasy, and certain things don't need to be included. Rape should probably be treated in the same way where it might have happened to a character at sometime, but it's not brought up and it's not a plot point. It definitely doesn't need to be lovingly described or role-played either. If you're playing a game where you're constantly reminded a character is a rapist/is raping people then someone is putting their fetishes or issues into the game, just like a weirdo who spends the whole session talking about their character's bowel movements.

Rape is really too big an issue to use in a game like that, especially when you don't know the backgrounds of everyone at the table. Hell, back in my edgy youth "no, gently caress you dad!" days I tried to play a rapist elf, and even at the height of ignorance and stupidity I realized how awful it made everything. Less than 3 sessions in I "retired" the character, rolled a new one and the game improved considerably for everyone.

Arashiofordo3, your players are literally worse than a lovely 16 year old, antisocial ignoramus. I think you should probably try playing some of the DnD games online with some goons for a while to see how actual "fun" and interesting it can get without everyone raping everyone else.
I think you mean Doktor Per because he's the one who posted like it was a totally normal thing. Arashiofordo3 posted about it being a thing to be handled with care and got called out for why the gently caress it would even need to be included at all.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Wow, wait, what? Hang about mate, that story isn't mine. I just got drunk and posted about rape needing to be something handled with care if it's ever included (If at all, it really shouldn't be, but if it is... you get the idea). Please don't post insulting remarks about people you do not know and have no information on at all. Not only is it rude but it is also inaccurate. My games are fun, people do not run around "raping everyone else" they run around trying to stop inter-species wars and deal with political machinations of entities waging their own secret war.

Besides, I'm in a changeling game on SA already.

Clanpot Shake posted:

I think you mean Doktor Per because he's the one who posted like it was a totally normal thing. Arashiofordo3 posted about it being a thing to be handled with care and got called out for why the gently caress it would even need to be included at all.

Thank you Clanpot Shake, 100% right.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Arashiofordo3 posted:

To sum up. Drunk me is a arsehole who likes to play devils advocate for something that doesn't need to be argued over. Sorry everyone I'll try and not leave my computer on and then go drinking again.

Totally understand this, all too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Clanpot Shake posted:

The worst thing about roleplaying games is the people who play them.

RPG is other people.