Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Hypermoto is just a big naked bike with a couple of extra inches of suspension travel. It really shares nothing with supermoto bikes, and will instantly be in over its head doing anything normally reserved for supermoto bikes.

But it is beautiful and fast, and those feelings you feel about it are completely normal. Still, that insurance is balls expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

But it is beautiful and fast, and those feelings you feel about it are completely normal. Still, that insurance is balls expensive.

I agree, it is a very good looking bike, and being basically a big tall Monster, it is fast of course.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's effectively a trim table not a map, the number represents how much to adjust the butterfly opening from the position you've set it with the throttle tube. 100% represents no adjustment, complete 1:1 input like a carb.

Yeah, but that can't be right. The stock performance map shows 10%, at 10% throttle opening. There is no way it's actually setting the throttle at 1% there. The first three quarters of turning the grip would only get you to just over half throttle. Hugely gimping the performance map really doesn't sound like something KTM would do.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
I'm not sure where I should post this but because this is the sumo thread and the bike is a sumo I'll give it a shot here.

This weekend my girlfriend's 2007 DRZ400sm was stolen from our garage in Providence, RI. Also taken was her Buddy scooter but because they could not defeat the steering lock that was dumped a block away and we recovered it. Not taken were several other bikes with the keys in them nor any of my tools, helmets or other gear and parts filling the garage.

I'm 95% sure these are idiot punks out for a joyride but I figured on the 5% chance that someone will strip it and try to sell parts off it I'll post it here and ask anyone to keep their eyes out for some expensive farkles for sale.

These pics were taken just hours before the theft because I had just mounted new tires on it.

Accessories include:

-Britannia Composites Lynx Fairing
-Renazco seat in black and pink (the first and only pink he's done AFAIK)
-TCI Products Sequoia rear rack
-UFO tail light turn signal unit
-ThumperTalk case savers
-Pivot Pegz Mk2 footpegs
-Front and Rear stainless braided brake lines
-Barkbuster Storm handguards
-Doubletake RAM mirrors
-Garmin 60csx RAM mount and hardwire cable
-Pink ROK Straps (I've never seen these available except at bike shows)
-Tonn aluminum skidplate (the thicker one that is no longer made)
-Unabiker radiator guards

Probably removed already is the Wolfman Expedition tank bag and the pink barbed wire graphics. I just rebuilt the top end using a head off a Kawasaki quad so it has the allen bolt in the left side to keep the timing chain from falling into the engine (the stock sm lacks this bolt). We have the only key so I'm sure the ignition and fairing has been mangled as well as the gas cap (if they try to add gas). Oh yeah, 3x3 mod and a JD jet kit was installed as well.

If this is the wrong place to post this I apologize in advance - please direct me to a stolen bike thread if we have one. I welcome any advice in trying to find the bike besides checking out every creepy street and vacant lot in my hood (because I've done that) and asking locals to keep an eye out.

This bike is very sentimental to us; she's ridden the poo poo out of it and I've worked countless hours on it. We've ridden up to northern Quebec and down to West Virginia with it. Her grandfather's St Christopher medal is in the tank bag.

Thanks for your time and any help you can provide. I hate thinking that this bike is sitting in some creep's shed getting manhandled.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got really excited when I saw a hot looking, mildly-modded drz400sm pop up on Craigslist for $3500.

Then I called and heard 20,000 miles. Less excited. These things just never pop up here.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Used it for its intended purpose today: dirt roads and cutting across parking lots. It's fun, but after riding this for 2 weeks straight, I just about 12 o'clocked the Triumph when I got on it Friday when I launched it like I do the DRZ. Got the adrenaline going for sure. I love this bike and it proves that old saw right--riding a slow bike fast is more fun than riding a fast bike slow.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 19, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I want a sumo again. The R6 is boring as poo poo for the around-town kind of riding I do. Sure it's fun to get on the highway and nail the gas...until you realize you just did 40-100mph in no time and that your license is in severe danger at all times.

I wish ktm's weren't so rare around here :(

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Oh man, two DRZ400s popped up on craigslist in the last day, both 06's with 2000 / 4000 miles, both single owners. Around $3000 - $3200. I have also been eye'ing a WR450 that has been converted on craigslist for the last two months. I told myself I would get a sumo / dirtbike next spring but these are the best prices I have seen ever. Good thing I am out of town until Friday, I have some time to think rationality about things.

How easy / cheap is it to put dirt tires on a DRZ400, and is there anything else you would need for a offroad conversion? Nothing crazy, just fireroads or 4x4 truck roads. Is it reasonable to have a second set of wheels / tires and expect to convert to a dirtbike for weekends? FWIW I already have a sv650 I love, just want a second bike for bumming around the frontrange of Colorado and maybe getting my son a matching dirtbike sometime as well.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

spandexcajun posted:

Oh man, two DRZ400s popped up on craigslist in the last day, both 06's with 2000 / 4000 miles, both single owners. Around $3000 - $3200. I have also been eye'ing a WR450 that has been converted on craigslist for the last two months. I told myself I would get a sumo / dirtbike next spring but these are the best prices I have seen ever. Good thing I am out of town until Friday, I have some time to think rationality about things.

How easy / cheap is it to put dirt tires on a DRZ400, and is there anything else you would need for a offroad conversion? Nothing crazy, just fireroads or 4x4 truck roads. Is it reasonable to have a second set of wheels / tires and expect to convert to a dirtbike for weekends? FWIW I already have a sv650 I love, just want a second bike for bumming around the frontrange of Colorado and maybe getting my son a matching dirtbike sometime as well.

if you get a set of wheels off an offroad model drz-e they bolt right up, and you'ld need second chain and sprocket set for offroad gearing, although you'ld probably get away with just a bigger rear and a longer chain.
For fire roads the right tyres on the sumo rims would be ok for most of it, they're pretty good in anything thats not mud or wet grass.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What can you guys tell me about the KTM 625 SMC? For a responsible individual is this an awful first bike? The weight seems very low (awesome!), and the power from what I've read seems like it would be manageable. There's a local guy selling his with 13,100 miles and several mods for $3900. I've pasted a screen shot of the ad below. Should I jump on this, or is he asking too much?

What's maintenance like on these? Anything else I should be weary of?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
how many spare gearboxz does it come with

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Does anyone else have some input before I go check it out?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Too high imo with 13k miles. Especially needing a new set of tires that will probably run you at least 250-300. You could get an (admittedly slower / heavier) DRZ for 3500 that would be much more reliable and almost as much fun and much more beginner friendly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MetaJew posted:

What can you guys tell me about the KTM 625 SMC? For a responsible individual is this an awful first bike? The weight seems very low (awesome!), and the power from what I've read seems like it would be manageable. There's a local guy selling his with 13,100 miles and several mods for $3900. I've pasted a screen shot of the ad below. Should I jump on this, or is he asking too much?

I dunno, 13K is into iffy territory on those. I cant find the link, but theres a thread on smj where someone tore down their 625 at 25K miles and people were absolutely blown away that it didnt need a rebuild by that point, so at best you're already 50% of the way through its usable life.

It depends on what you want out of it. Are you going to be riding it every day and putting miles on it? If so, you'll probably tire it out pretty quickly. If its going to be a toy that you go on blasts on over the weekend, then it will probably be OK.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but if you're in the former group, get a DRZ or a WRX, especially as a first bike.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I can't stress enough how low maintenace the DRZ's are. Seriously, change the oil and lube the chain and it will just keep truckin along. Or don't. It'll still keep going.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

MetaJew posted:

From my own experience and that of friends who have owned various LC4s and EXCs the most important thing is regular oil & filter changes, ideally more often than the service schedule actually dictates.

If the guy is legit and he's kept on top of the maintenance like he says then it should be good for many more miles of wheelies and miscellaneous hooliganism. It's when they're neglected that they seem to grenade, and being on the more 'fun' end of the bike market they tend to have a lot of owners, some of whom may have run the engine low on oil or otherwise mistreated them.

Oh and avoid black engined LC4s (that 625 is OK) unless they've had the clutch bearing replaced by one not made of cheese.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What kind of mileage would keep you from looking at a used DRZ? I'm kicking myself for letting an 08 with 2000 miles go because I didn't like the white plastics. Now pretty much everything that pops up is at 10k plus, and a lot of ads say, "top end done last year!" which makes me nervous.

It's a shame we aren't getting new ones, cause the used crop just keeps getting older.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Really depends on the bike. I bought mine at ~13k and sold at 15 or 16k and honestly it was always super reliable and still tight. It was also here in TX where someone probably (painfully) cruised highways all the time and stuff.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bike with more than 10 but it needs to have the maintenance done on it - CCT, preferably the free fixes, etc. The price difference can be kind of big between one with 15k and one with 2k though. I'd expect an SM with 15k to be like 3k or less while one with less than 10k should probably go for 35 at least in my market. Lower mileage can mean peace of mind but honestly I'd rather have a bike with 10k that has the CCT, free mods, 3x3, nice exhaust, nice tires, etc. over a bike with 2k miles that has nothing at all done and may have been neglected.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

As a person who aggressively rides dirt, and rides on the street once every other weekend for a spell, which supermoto is right for me?

I was just thinking of converting a Honda CRF450, but I'm not sure that's actually a money saver.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

If you can handle the maintenance from riding dirt a lot and don't mind the extra wear and tear / bullshit of converting it you'd have a TON of fun on that bike on the road. Might cost you a fair bit to convert though depending on what kinds of deals you can find. Wheelsets can be found used from Warp9 and similar for less than a grand for sure. Lights and hardware for the license plate, etc will be a bit more. You may need a stator to keep the lights up / get going at all but I have no idea if that's necessary and someone more knowledgable can chime in there.

What year 450?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VTNewb posted:

As a person who aggressively rides dirt, and rides on the street once every other weekend for a spell, which supermoto is right for me?

I was just thinking of converting a Honda CRF450, but I'm not sure that's actually a money saver.

If you can get the CRF street legal, thats probably a good bet for small street rides.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

A CRF is a fun monster on the street as long as you are willing to maintain it, lots of oil changes. Lights and electronics are easy and with LED bulbs you can run everything from a battery pack and be fine. Wheels will likely be the expensive part, I have warp 9 on mine and they are great. I think there are a few brake kits out there now, I'm running a 636 system and it has PLENTY of stopping power for a <250lb bike.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Lights and electronics are easy and with LED bulbs you can run everything from a battery pack and be fine.
Oh, crap.

That just opened up a whole huge list of bike possibilities for MY GIRLFRIEND, her 27" inseam, and her nascent love of dualsport over sportbike over cruiser.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 21, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I went the easy route and pretty much when all trailtech gear but replaced the bulbs with LED's and used their battery pack. If I remember right I should get at least 8 hours of life running the lights. Keep in mind they aren't actually useful at night but they are legal.

If I was going to ride at night I'd build up a A123/LiFo pack and run some better lighting.

What I put on the CRF:
X2 Headlight - replaced high beam (bottom light) with ebay LED, wired up headlight backwards (low beam now = high beam)
12V 3700 mAh NiMH Battery - changed connectors but that was just my preference
Basic off/low/high and kill switch
Then some super cheap taillight with a LED bulb

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 21, 2012

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I went the easy route and pretty much when all trailtech gear but replaced the bulbs with LED's and used their battery pack. If I remember right I should get at least 8 hours of life running the lights. Keep in mind they aren't actually useful at night but they are legal.

If I was going to ride at night I'd build up a A123/LiFo pack and run some better lighting.

What I put on the CRF:
X2 Headlight - replaced high beam (bottom light) with ebay LED, wired up headlight backwards (low beam now = high beam)
12V 3700 mAh NiMH Battery - changed connectors but that was just my preference
Basic off/low/high and kill switch
Then some super cheap taillight with a LED bulb
Well, well, well, this gets easier and easier...

My DRZ came with a box of spare parts, and your part listing reminded me that I've got one of these in the box -

- and a couple of 9.6 battery packs sitting around.

**sound of mental wheels turning gears grinding**

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Was going to mention I have the hideous acerbis or something light that the previous owner had on his laying around somewhere if you were in need of a light.

PM me if you have any specific questions or want pictures of things.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Literally the worst motorcycle accessory ever created

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Literally the worst motorcycle accessory ever created

I beg to differ
http://www.motorcycle-grips.com/predator-fairing-headlight-mask-streetfighter.html

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

I can't decide if the handle-designed-to-remove-your-balls or the actual predator thing would be worse to have on a bike.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm gonna go check out the ktm tomorrow. Can anyone help me form an offer price? I don't need the Pirelli Dragon rain tires, and if the current tires will have to replaced soon, I can probably take a few bucks off for that. I'm not sure if $3500 would be too low for the seller.

As someone mentioned, this would just be a weekend toy. I live close enough to work that I walk or bike in, so I wouldn't put too much mileage on this, not to mention the hilariously small gas tank. (5 gallon tank swap in my future?)

Another thought I have been researching is if it would be safe and worth it to do some sort of tubeless modification to the wheels when I change the tires.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 21, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You probably don't want a 5 gallon tank on there. I don't even know if they come that big. I had a 4 on my DRZ and it was really loving big and didn't really suit the bike. Was nice not filling up but eventually I wanted a smaller one as the big one is heavy and doesn't look quite right. YMMV.

You really don't need to go tubeless unless you want to deal with sealing off the tires. The tubes are fine and will even handle track duty.

I would offer 3300 and see what happens. He'd probably settle for 35 but as it says "53 year enthusiast" it may mean he's just an old jackass that won't budge on price or he may talk your ear off all day long and not want to haggle.

I'd also suggest a front fender if you can fit one on somehow. I couldn't place why it looked so ridiculous but then I realized it was the sportbike type fender. Also, that subframe looks kind of strange from that pic. It looks like he removed panels or something, I can't tell from that pic. Make sure the old one is straight if you want to include that in the deal. Actually it doesn't even look like it has a fender on it? Can you post the CL ad? I promise I won't snipe it out from under you or something crazy, PM me if you want it kept private.

EDIT - Haha holy gently caress, I searched on SearchTempest to see what similar bikes go forprice wise and this bike is the first result and is really close to where I live. That's funny. Definitely PM me.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 21, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

JP Money posted:

I'd also suggest a front fender if you can fit one on somehow. I couldn't place why it looked so ridiculous but then I realized it was the sportbike type fender. Also, that subframe looks kind of strange from that pic. It looks like he removed panels or something, I can't tell from that pic. Make sure the old one is straight if you want to include that in the deal. Actually it doesn't even look like it has a fender on it? Can you post the CL ad? I promise I won't snipe it out from under you or something crazy, PM me if you want it kept private.

he says in the ad he has all the original plastics,

That low front mudguard will be a godsend if you ride in the rain, off-road ones dont stop the spray off the 17'' wheels, the bike will be more stable at high speeds with it too, you'd only need to take it off if you were going off-road on the bike.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I liked my Acerbis front sumo fender. I think it'd look a lot better there too than that superbike one. You're going to get absolutely loving soaked on a sumo in the rain anyways, the front wheel throwing off rain won't make it that much worse honestly. Regular dirtbike fenders catch a lot of air but the sumo one has slots in the back to let the radiator cool down as well as direct air through.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Please don't snipe it. :/ Sorry I don't have a platinum acct, so no PMs at the moment. You can email me at my username at gmail.

He has all of the original parts and they're included in the sale. Including fenders, the OEM subframe, etc.

I'll give the $3300 offer a shot and maybe cap it at $3500. I think I'd be happy with that.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Let me know how it goes. If you want, I have some Zeta clutch/brake levers that I had on my supermoto that I could sell you if you want to replace the ones he has on there.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Will do. I think I would want to put some hand/lever guards on as well. How do you pick a good pair of those?

Are these basically frame sliders for super motos?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah if you have handguards they typically hit the ground before any plastic does. It looks like it has swingarm sliders/spools too which should help. They also keep a little cold air off your hands but it doesn't really get all that cold around here and it's not a huge help. You can get an Acerbis pair or whatever you like that will fit the bars. Just make sure they have the solid metal bar inside otherwise they are just easily breakable plastic fins basically.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

JP Money posted:

Yeah if you have handguards they typically hit the ground before any plastic does. It looks like it has swingarm sliders/spools too which should help. They also keep a little cold air off your hands but it doesn't really get all that cold around here and it's not a huge help. You can get an Acerbis pair or whatever you like that will fit the bars. Just make sure they have the solid metal bar inside otherwise they are just easily breakable plastic fins basically.

Cool, thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, why would I go swapping the levers other than if they're damaged or bent?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I personally did it in case I ever wanted to ditch the handguards and I kind of like shorty levers / aftermarket levers of some kind. They just seem to feel better to me, but that might just be brainwashing. There's zero reason to swap out the levers other than personal preference if you have solid handguards as they won't ever be touching pavement unless something goes seriously wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I went back and looked through some listings on SupermotoJunkie for 625 SMCs and the prices were all over the place, but generally high. Asking prices ranged from $4500-$5500, with mileage anywhere from <2k miles to 20k+. The only ebay listing I could find was for a 2004 model with 21k miles, a rebuilt engine, and generally rough condition-- it sold for $3100.

I'm still set on my budget, but I can't quite figure out the going price for these bikes.

• Locked thread