Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jensen posted:

You've seen a lot because the tablet is popular.

It is a popular tablet with a small group of people on the Internet. It is not a popular tablet on general.

People are breaking them because sacrifices are made to bring a tablet in at that price point, and build quality is one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

Reive posted:

So my N7 is being a little wonky and I have no idea what's causing it, everything is running abit slow, and sometimes it's taking multiple seconds to do something simple like hit a pause button in a music player.

I checked my running proccesses and it says I'm using over half the ram even though nothing running is taking up very much.

I've reset it twice and it's still happening. :(

Any ideas?
Disregard, it seems to have sorted itself out, still wondering about the ram though, is that normal?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Tori CMOS posted:

It is a popular tablet with a small group of people on the Internet. It is not a popular tablet on general.

People are breaking them because sacrifices are made to bring a tablet in at that price point, and build quality is one of them.

I don't think there are any official sales figures but I think the fact that it has been sold out consistently since release is a sign that it's pretty popular in general, not just with tech nerds.

I can't confirm this (yet) but I'm sure that it is or will be the best selling Android tablet of all time.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Tori CMOS posted:

Nope. It is a popular tablet in general (amongst Android tablets.) Go look at the last 20 pages of this thread and count how many posts have something to do with an N7. It's the internet echo chamber effect in full swing. Sure there's real problems with the hardware, but there is with most gadgets as well. The popularity of this one has magnified the amount you seem to be hearing about it.

If your tablet is working you aren't going to make a post about it.

My launch day N7 doesn't have flicker, screen lift, or any dead pixels.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I don't think there are any official sales figures but I think the fact that it has been sold out consistently since release is a sign that it's pretty popular in general, not just with tech nerds.

I can't confirm this (yet) but I'm sure that it is or will be the best selling Android tablet of all time.

Take a look at some of ASUS testimony in the Hasbro v ASUS case. Asus heavily restricts supply of their tablets to make a buzz about being sold out, but the fact is they just don't sell very many out them (80,000 transformer primes lol)

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Take a look at some of ASUS testimony in the Hasbro v ASUS case. Asus heavily restricts supply of their tablets to make a buzz about being sold out, but the fact is they just don't sell very many out them (80,000 transformer primes lol)

I don't think Google would allow that to happen. They want to get as many of them in people's hands as possible.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Tech sites estimate that the nexus 7 will sell between 3 and 8 million in 2012. Those are just estimates, but still.

I work in the digital department of a pretty big company and the nexus is the only android tablet I've ever heard non-goons talk about besides the nook color and kindle fire. It got a lot of press on mainstream news sites.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Tech sites estimate that the nexus 7 will sell between 3 and 8 million in 2012. Those are just estimates, but still.

I work in the digital department of a pretty big company and the nexus is the only android tablet I've ever heard non-goons talk about besides the nook color and kindle fire. It got a lot of press on mainstream news sites.

Right. I doubt most of my (actually fairly technical) friends have even heard of the Transformer Prime. If I asked them what they was they'd probably say it is the next terrible movie in the series about fighting robot cars. The N7, on the other hand, seems to be rather well known. It got a lot of mainstream press coverage on the BBC and such. Admitedly mostly touting it as an "iPad killer" which made absolutely no sense, but regardless, people are aware of it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Jelly Bean is pretty awesome on the TF300, Google Now is sweet. Google Earth is still juddery though.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Tori CMOS posted:

At first glance that would be the natural conclusion, but given that the initial runs of Transformer Prime shared the same screen flex defect + comparatively worse problems despite being a high-end device it seems to be more of an ASUS QC issue than anything else.

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
Anyone had a problem with their Nexus 7 AC adapter? I've had mine for two weeks and while I love the device, it doesn't charge from the adapter any more -- using the same cable to connect to PC charges it fine via USB. I've had it plugged in to the mains 24/7 and used it to charge an MP3 player by plugging it directly into the adapter -- any chance that could have broken it, or is this likely just random failure?...is it likely I could get a new adapter on warranty or should I just order a new one if I want to charge from mains? UK if that matters.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vagrancy posted:

At first glance that would be the natural conclusion, but given that the initial runs of Transformer Prime shared the same screen flex defect + comparatively worse problems despite being a high-end device it seems to be more of an ASUS QC issue than anything else.

At first glance, the conclusion should be that we can't make any conclusion because it's all anecdotes.

Part of my non-SA life involves cognitive biases, statistics, philosophy of rational thought, etc, so, thread, take this as expert advice:

Anecdotal information is worse than no data at all. It's not that anecdotal data moves you a little bit closer to the truth and scientific data moves you a lot closer to the truth. It's that anecdotal data puts a blindfold on you, spins you around a hundred times, and drops you into the deepest trench in the ocean. The worst part is that because of the way our mind works, anecdotal data feels like its making you more aware.

So, every time you feel like posting a story about how your uncle's brothers N7 broke so there's some sort of problem, or how so many people post in here about their broken N7, or every time you try to make some sort of conclusion based on that sort of poo poo, remember that you're getting dumber and you're making everyone else dumber by posting it. It's even worse if you say "I know this is an anecdote, but...". By doing that you feel like, and you help make others feel like, you've accounted for the anecdotal nature of your "evidence". You haven't. You think you have, but your brain doesn't work that way.

(Also, just because I say this doesn't mean its easy. Hell, I'm immersed in this how-to-think stuff for hours every day, and I still catch myself messing up on this.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

k3nn posted:

Anyone had a problem with their Nexus 7 AC adapter? I've had mine for two weeks and while I love the device, it doesn't charge from the adapter any more -- using the same cable to connect to PC charges it fine via USB. I've had it plugged in to the mains 24/7 and used it to charge an MP3 player by plugging it directly into the adapter -- any chance that could have broken it, or is this likely just random failure?...is it likely I could get a new adapter on warranty or should I just order a new one if I want to charge from mains? UK if that matters.

The Asus UK warranty explicitly states it doesn't cover the charger, which is contestable, but call whoever you bought it from, UK consumer laws mean every part has to last a reasonable time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

The Asus UK warranty explicitly states it doesn't cover the charger, which is contestable, but call whoever you bought it from, UK consumer laws mean every part has to last a reasonable time.

And specifically the retailer must replace it within six months unless they can prove that it was not faulty at purchase. The burden of proof is on them.

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009
Huh, weirdest thing just happened. I got my nexus 7 about 3 weeks ago, and bought one of those magnetised folding case/stands just over a week ago. After a day or two of having the case on I noticed that the built in speaker had went to poo poo. Audio was crystal clear when first got the tablet and now it would distort at anything above 40% volume. I suspect that the magnets in the case were the culprit, took the case off for a couple days to try and fix it, without the joy, and then just gave up on it and the stuck the case back on. I was all set to rma the Nexus back to Google this week.

All of a sudden this evening the audio has fixed itself. It was still poo poo, when I switched it on after work, was messing about with a couple apps, and then it just suddenly stopped crackling and distorting. Just watched a full movie on it with zero issues. It's still in the case.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tunga posted:

And specifically the retailer must replace it within six months unless they can prove that it was not faulty at purchase. The burden of proof is on them.
Thats easy. You ship it back to them for replacement, they hit it with a hammer and send you a pic "see this is what we got, you obviously broke it, we'll repair it for $300 or send it back as-is for $100 evaluation fee :v:"

Moral of the story: take pics and/or videos including on-screen device serial number and today's newspaper or whatever before you send anything in for repair or replacement.

Edit: that's assuming you bought it online. If you can take it back to a store obviously do that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

Thats easy. You ship it back to them for replacement, they hit it with a hammer and send you a pic "see this is what we got, you obviously broke it, we'll repair it for $300 or send it back as-is for $100 evaluation fee :v:"

Moral of the story: take pics and/or videos including on-screen device serial number and today's newspaper or whatever before you send anything in for repair or replacement.

Edit: that's assuming you bought it online. If you can take it back to a store obviously do that.
This kind of thing just doesn't happen with UK-based retailers because we have extremely good consumer protection laws. The retailer is just going to send it back to the manufacturer, they have no reason to smash it up and screw you over, it's more effort than just processing the return.

This is not to say that taking a picture is a bad idea, but it's a whole different world to the kind of bullshit that apparently happens in the US.

Edit: :britain:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Thermopyle posted:

At first glance, the conclusion should be that we can't make any conclusion because it's all anecdotes.

Part of my non-SA life involves cognitive biases, statistics, philosophy of rational thought, etc, so, thread, take this as expert advice:

Anecdotal information is worse than no data at all. It's not that anecdotal data moves you a little bit closer to the truth and scientific data moves you a lot closer to the truth. It's that anecdotal data puts a blindfold on you, spins you around a hundred times, and drops you into the deepest trench in the ocean. The worst part is that because of the way our mind works, anecdotal data feels like its making you more aware.

So, every time you feel like posting a story about how your uncle's brothers N7 broke so there's some sort of problem, or how so many people post in here about their broken N7, or every time you try to make some sort of conclusion based on that sort of poo poo, remember that you're getting dumber and you're making everyone else dumber by posting it. It's even worse if you say "I know this is an anecdote, but...". By doing that you feel like, and you help make others feel like, you've accounted for the anecdotal nature of your "evidence". You haven't. You think you have, but your brain doesn't work that way.

(Also, just because I say this doesn't mean its easy. Hell, I'm immersed in this how-to-think stuff for hours every day, and I still catch myself messing up on this.)

This is great, can you add it to the OP?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tunga posted:

This kind of thing just doesn't happen with UK-based retailers because we have extremely good consumer protection laws. The retailer is just going to send it back to the manufacturer, they have no reason to smash it up and screw you over, it's more effort than just processing the return.

This is not to say that taking a picture is a bad idea, but it's a whole different world to the kind of bullshit that apparently happens in the US.

Edit: :britain:
Yeah I understand that for retail, and it's pretty much the same in the US for returns to retail shops (though only 30 days or sometimes less, not 6 months or whatever min you guys get.) I was talking about online orders where you have to ship back to the online retailer or, worse, the manufacturer? What's the UK consumer protection law for that? If you ship it back to ASUS directly then ... ?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Just rooted my nook color and flashed cm7 to it.

Holy poo poo this thing went from "eh" to "completely awesome".

I'm thinking about getting one of those GPS bluetooth adapters, a big rear end SD card, and installing it in my truck as some kind of janky nav/audio system. Tether it to my phone for data, and it'd be pretty great.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

randyest posted:

Yeah I understand that for retail, and it's pretty much the same in the US for returns to retail shops (though only 30 days or sometimes less, not 6 months or whatever min you guys get.) I was talking about online orders where you have to ship back to the online retailer or, worse, the manufacturer? What's the UK consumer protection law for that? If you ship it back to ASUS directly then ... ?

See my previous posts ITT about how I've dealt with Ebuyer & Asus to return my N7. (click the '?' link)

Actually, as an update to that, I got an email from Ebuyer yesterday confirming they've received the unit and are having someone test it out. I'm just hoping there nothing left that shows I unlocked and rooted it (I reset and re-locked it before sending it off), and if there are, that they don't care.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Jensen posted:

Nope. It is a popular tablet in general (amongst Android tablets.) Go look at the last 20 pages of this thread and count how many posts have something to do with an N7. It's the internet echo chamber effect in full swing. Sure there's real problems with the hardware, but there is with most gadgets as well. The popularity of this one has magnified the amount you seem to be hearing about it.

If your tablet is working you aren't going to make a post about it.

My launch day N7 doesn't have flicker, screen lift, or any dead pixels.

My wife's N7 is working perfectly as well. Also, this is anecdotal but I work for a large retailer and we can't keep the things in stock. They sell out as soon as we get more inventory (overall, not just at one particular location).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah my N7 is flawless and I love it. You have to always remember that people are more inclined to post when there is a flaw compared to having a good unit. Antennagate for the iPhone was a little like that, where the defective units were a super small percentage but very vocal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah you don't tend to see people post "Oh hey I had my Nexus 7/iPad/Toyota Camry for 2 months now and evertyhing is working fine, just thought I should let everyone know".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

A friend of mine who works for Radio Shack can get the Nexus 7 16GB for $213 with his discount.

Should I do that deal with a 2-yr plan from RS or just pay the $250+tax and s&h from the Play Store? Are there any benefits to doing either?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
nvm

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

Random guesses from "tech sites" with a spread of 5 million: not very persuasive.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah you don't tend to see people post "Oh hey I had my Nexus 7/iPad/Toyota Camry for 2 months now and evertyhing is working fine, just thought I should let everyone know".
During the avalanche of the 'ASUS Transformer Prime sucks!' myself and a couple of others posted how ours were working just fine.

I've had mine since January and have been very happy with it. I think it was in February when we moved to ICS and it's been pretty smooth and responsive. Even prior it wasn't that bad. I use it to browse SA, play a few games like Triple Town or Words with Friends. I read Facebook with it and use the default browser for the internet. I even used it briefly as a camera but it's at best awkward and really a better tool to view pictures than take them.

Wifi is fine from all over my house, though I'm never more than a floor or 30 feet from the router. GPS is a non-starter for me, I didn't buy it for GPS. None the less, they sent me two snap-in GPS receivers that work fantastic. I've only played with them in the house and never taken them on a trip.

I bought the keyboard to go with it, but have found that I seldom use it other than as a backup battery. My next tablet I won't bother with any kind of keyboard.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Thermopyle posted:

You should post this in the SSD thread, but they might think you are trolling. Incidentally, my ASUS transformer TF101 has been awesome since the latest update that fixed random reboots properly.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

fondue posted:

During the avalanche of the 'ASUS Transformer Prime sucks!' myself and a couple of others posted how ours were working just fine.

There was one update that horribly broke ICS for a while on the Prime (lockups and sleep of death), but that was fixed within a week. I love my Prime. I can't wait for JB, which hopefully we'll get in a week or so.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

It's the same. Actually it's even better thanks to the Distance Selling Act which allows for a cooldown period and some other stuff on top of the usual protection.

I would never ship it straight back to Asus because the retailer is responsible by law for dealing with it, at least within a "reasonable time" which for electronics would probably be interpreted to be a year or something like that. Sometimes you have to assert your rights a bit but it's generally fine with any of the big/well known online retailers. Usually they will just give you a refund/exchange straight up and send it on, they don't care or want to argue about it.

krushgroove posted:

Actually, as an update to that, I got an email from Ebuyer yesterday confirming they've received the unit and are having someone test it out. I'm just hoping there nothing left that shows I unlocked and rooted it (I reset and re-locked it before sending it off), and if there are, that they don't care.
Firstly they won't even care, and secondly they would have to prove that you rooting it caused the issue, since the onus of proof is on them (the retailer) to show that the product was not faulty when it was sold. Which is why they won't care, because there's no way they can prove that.

If you'd wanted to argue with them about it then you didn't even have to do the calling Asus thing. It's not your problem, it's theirs (Ebuyer's). Of course, if the company is being reasonable about it then there's no reason to cause hassle but as soon as any retailer starts telling me about 30-day return windows and poo poo like that and how I have to go to the manufacturer (and yes, some places will try this, I find physical shops like Currys are the worst) I just vaguely quote consumer law at them until they give me my money. It works, they just rely on ignorance.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I haven't been inclined to post about screen flicker on my N7, because I see it every now and then and it doesn't bother me all that much. But it is there.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Frozen-Solid posted:

There was one update that horribly broke ICS for a while on the Prime (lockups and sleep of death), but that was fixed within a week. I love my Prime. I can't wait for JB, which hopefully we'll get in a week or so.
I never experienced it - but I think I live a charmed life so there's that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

atomicvocabulary posted:

I haven't been inclined to post about screen flicker on my N7, because I see it every now and then and it doesn't bother me all that much. But it is there.

Maybe about once a week I think I have this issue but realize I just walked into an area that has different lighting levels and remember that Android sucks at auto brightness.

No issues to report with my pre order 7 though. Battery life is what I expected, no screen lifting and speaker works fine.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Tunga posted:

Firstly they won't even care, and secondly they would have to prove that you rooting it caused the issue, since the onus of proof is on them (the retailer) to show that the product was not faulty when it was sold. Which is why they won't care, because there's no way they can prove that.

If you'd wanted to argue with them about it then you didn't even have to do the calling Asus thing. It's not your problem, it's theirs (Ebuyer's). Of course, if the company is being reasonable about it then there's no reason to cause hassle but as soon as any retailer starts telling me about 30-day return windows and poo poo like that and how I have to go to the manufacturer (and yes, some places will try this, I find physical shops like Currys are the worst) I just vaguely quote consumer law at them until they give me my money. It works, they just rely on ignorance.
Yeah I would hope/think that even if they didn't want to deal with a rooted device they would realize that it's a hardware fault, and not a problem caused by the rooting or unlocking.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No issues to report with my pre order 7 though. Battery life is what I expected, no screen lifting and speaker works fine.

You forgot the flickering! THE FLICKERING!!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 22, 2012

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
So I just bought a Asus tf300 32gb and I forfeited best buys insurance policy because it was $200. And sure enough, it falls two feet and cracks the screen a week later. Is there anything at all that I can do to get this fixed?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

fondue posted:

I've had mine since January and have been very happy with it. I think it was in February when we moved to ICS and it's been pretty smooth and responsive. Even prior it wasn't that bad. I use it to browse SA, play a few games like Triple Town or Words with Friends. I read Facebook with it and use the default browser for the internet. I even used it briefly as a camera but it's at best awkward and really a better tool to view pictures than take them.

Wifi is fine from all over my house, though I'm never more than a floor or 30 feet from the router. GPS is a non-starter for me, I didn't buy it for GPS. None the less, they sent me two snap-in GPS receivers that work fantastic. I've only played with them in the house and never taken them on a trip.

I bought the keyboard to go with it, but have found that I seldom use it other than as a backup battery. My next tablet I won't bother with any kind of keyboard.

I'm having issues with games. I read a few people had a similar problem, so I unlocked the boot loader to try ROMs that got rid of their problems. I even tried different kernels. Unfortunately my problems still occur. It's usually Tegra games, but not always. It'll freeze and jump constantly between two frames. If I keep trying to play, the app will close. But as soon as I open that game, or any others up it'll do the same thing immediately upon getting in the game. The only fix I found is to reboot it, normally by holding the power button until it restarts. And even then it may require one or two more times to work.

I haven't tried older kernels to fix it, so I'm not sure if it's that or some hardware issue I'm stuck with now that I unlocked it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Telven posted:

So I just bought a Asus tf300 32gb and I forfeited best buys insurance policy because it was $200. And sure enough, it falls two feet and cracks the screen a week later. Is there anything at all that I can do to get this fixed?
Your homeowners insurance or the credit card you bought it with might cover it for replacement.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Syrinxx posted:

Your homeowners insurance or the credit card you bought it with might cover it for replacement.

Those usually extend manufacturer warranties, not add accidental protection, but it really depends on the insurance/cc. Worth a shot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Super Dude posted:

Those usually extend manufacturer warranties, not add accidental protection, but it really depends on the insurance/cc. Worth a shot though.

I know Amex has 90 days of full protection on everything you buy. If it's lost, stolen, broken, etc, they will refund the money no questions asked.