Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, remembered I had a PI dream last night. Forgot most of the details, but Moses and Gumbo were in it. No Frankie though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
So I was camping this weekend and as I was driving through the campground toward my tent I swear to god I saw a woman sitting in a bench with a giant hairless cat. It was very strange.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Kerfuffle posted:

Super maybe your parents are just the most passive agressive people on earth and hate you and your mean dog and freak dog and came up with the puppy plot to force you to move out. :catstare:

I wish this were the case, because at least then there would be some kind of logic involved. Alas, :saddowns:

notsoape posted:

Super, your posts in the fire thread were also 'sinister' and 'SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!', jsyk. .
I do what I can. :tipshat:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

"Pure bread brindle pit"

By these pictures I might even say he likes to loaf around.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 21, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

WHO is that fatty. I want to make him swole. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

WHO is that fatty. I want to make him swole. :3:

He's some bloated 6 year old pit that someone got sick of and threw on our local bookoo. If I can find a box big enough I'll mail him to you?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

He's some bloated 6 year old pit that someone got sick of and threw on our local bookoo. If I can find a box big enough I'll mail him to you?

Given his shape, you could probably just slap a label on him and roll him into a UPS on a hand truck without issue.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fraction posted:

I had to move the d-ring closer to the buckle though (second pic onwards shows it), since Lola is a retard and kept pulling at such an angle that it kept slipping out of the ring and annoying me. After I moved it it didn't slip out once, and so far it's been on a two hour walk. I'm sure Lola felt very pretty :3:

Pesky D-ring! :argh: I'll have to remember to place it better for future collars. It was kind of tricky getting it the right length. Too short and it'd just slip out of the D-ring constantly, too long and obviously it'd be annoying... bah! I'm so glad it's working out and looks so good on her though. :3:

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
So I was hanging out near the dog park in Union Square yesterday and I had a frustrating thing happen. There was a pibble there that seemed very sweet (and was very pretty!) and wasn't having any problems with the other dogs and was mostly just playing with a toy by herself. Eventually another lady came in with a dog that looked like a lab mix of some sort that started playing with the pit girl that was already there. The other dog kept on stealing her toy and playing the "chase me" game, and the other dog was fine and they seemed to be having fun. Out of nowhere the lab mix attacked the pibble girl, and basically latched onto the side of her neck. The pibble's owner intervened and broke up the fight, and she ultimately seemed okay (didn't look like there was any blood or broken skin or anything, and she was bouncing around again pretty quickly). This being a popular park in New York, however, a crowd was drawn. After the whole thing ended, a woman who was next to me asked what happened to the dog and what breed she was. I said she was a pit bull and that she seemed fine now. The conversation then went like this:

Her: Of course she was a pit bull! Pit bulls are always involved in fights like that. Why do people still have them?

Me: Um, she was the one who was attacked. It was the other dog who was a lab mix that attacked her.

Her: Yeah but pit pulls are ALWAYS involved in this sort of thing, they're terrible dogs and people shouldn't be allowed to own them.

Me: She...wasn't the aggressor though, she was the victim.

Her: Yeah, but she was *~involved~* and pit bulls should be banned. Humans first!

Me: ...No human was at risk her. What you're saying is basically the same thing as blaming a person who was punched because another person came up and punched them.

Her: No, they're always involved, humans first! I always see it in the news and pit bulls are always involved!!

Me: The news is also terrible at identifying dog breeds and almost always neglects the background of how the dog was raised and is cared for. If an owner socializes and trains his dog well, he'll have a good idea of how it will react in certain situations and can act accordingly. There are plenty of good pit bulls out there with good owners.

Her: No one should be allowed pit bulls their too dangerous and they should pass laws banning them!!!

Me: :sigh:

It was so frustrating because she kept saying the same three things over and over again (pit bulls are bad! Humans first! They should ban them!) even when she admitted that it was often the owner's fault and even when there was clearly no basis to support her opinion. She also kept on saying "I don't want to argue" and then would keep on arguing the same goddam points :mad: :mad: :mad:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Shebrew posted:

So I was hanging out near the dog park in Union Square yesterday and I had a frustrating thing happen. There was a pibble there that seemed very sweet (and was very pretty!) and wasn't having any problems with the other dogs and was mostly just playing with a toy by herself. Eventually another lady came in with a dog that looked like a lab mix of some sort that started playing with the pit girl that was already there. The other dog kept on stealing her toy and playing the "chase me" game, and the other dog was fine and they seemed to be having fun. Out of nowhere the lab mix attacked the pibble girl, and basically latched onto the side of her neck. The pibble's owner intervened and broke up the fight, and she ultimately seemed okay (didn't look like there was any blood or broken skin or anything, and she was bouncing around again pretty quickly). This being a popular park in New York, however, a crowd was drawn. After the whole thing ended, a woman who was next to me asked what happened to the dog and what breed she was. I said she was a pit bull and that she seemed fine now. The conversation then went like this:

Her: Of course she was a pit bull! Pit bulls are always involved in fights like that. Why do people still have them?

Me: Um, she was the one who was attacked. It was the other dog who was a lab mix that attacked her.

Her: Yeah but pit pulls are ALWAYS involved in this sort of thing, they're terrible dogs and people shouldn't be allowed to own them.

Me: She...wasn't the aggressor though, she was the victim.

Her: Yeah, but she was *~involved~* and pit bulls should be banned. Humans first!

Me: ...No human was at risk her. What you're saying is basically the same thing as blaming a person who was punched because another person came up and punched them.

Her: No, they're always involved, humans first! I always see it in the news and pit bulls are always involved!!

Me: The news is also terrible at identifying dog breeds and almost always neglects the background of how the dog was raised and is cared for. If an owner socializes and trains his dog well, he'll have a good idea of how it will react in certain situations and can act accordingly. There are plenty of good pit bulls out there with good owners.

Her: No one should be allowed pit bulls their too dangerous and they should pass laws banning them!!!

Me: :sigh:

It was so frustrating because she kept saying the same three things over and over again (pit bulls are bad! Humans first! They should ban them!) even when she admitted that it was often the owner's fault and even when there was clearly no basis to support her opinion. She also kept on saying "I don't want to argue" and then would keep on arguing the same goddam points :mad: :mad: :mad:

So your basic complaint is that you argued with someone with substandard intellect and...they acted stupid and refused to use the four braincells they had to learn something.

I sympathize, but a lot of people are just that stupid. They just fall back on the same three of four things because :downs: thinking is hard and I must be right so if I just keep saying the same thing they'll agree with me!:downs:

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

wtftastic posted:

So your basic complaint is that you argued with someone with substandard intellect and...they acted stupid and refused to use the four braincells they had to learn something.

I sympathize, but a lot of people are just that stupid. They just fall back on the same three of four things because :downs: thinking is hard and I must be right so if I just keep saying the same thing they'll agree with me!:downs:

Basically, and I know people are still stupid, it's just frustrating. On the plus side, all dogs involved seemed to be fine.

Oh, there was also a guy who brought his cocker spaniel that was in heat to the dog park. He seemed surprised that other dogs kept on trying to hump her. :downs:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Speaking of, I saw some little spaniel at an event the other day wearing both a prong and a shock (I assume a bark collar). If you can't control a little spaniel without all that... welp.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Skizzles posted:

Speaking of, I saw some little spaniel at an event the other day wearing both a prong and a shock (I assume a bark collar). If you can't control a little spaniel without all that... welp.

That's a pretty pathetic owner.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Shebrew posted:

OMG DANGEROUS PIT BULL

That Lab was just preemptively defending itself, don't you know. It knew that Pit was just pretending to play nice so that it could unleash its evil at the most opportune moment.

That does remind me, though. I know I've seen it discussed in here before but I couldn't find it in this massive thread. Does anyone have good, factual resources against BSL? I was talking with someone about it the other day and they actually had a really good argument to be for it. I still don't support it, but all I've been able to find online are mostly unsourced and vague articles written by people who may or may not know what they're talking about. I'd like to be a little more informed from sources I can quote.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Skizzles posted:

Whaaattt? :psyduck:

Speaking of, there's a dude who has a doberman in my neighborhood. The dog is loving nuts. The dude walks him with a prong collar and muzzle, because it snaps at everything. Last time it was without a muzzle, it tried to go after Feldman, and when he pulled it away, it snapped at his leg and crotch. The only conversation I had with that dude was strange.

:v:That's a beautiful doberman. A rescue?

:butt: No..uh..he's just not socialized.

:v: Oh..well have a nice day!

I'm pretty sure the dog's entire schedual consists of a walk around the neighborhood, then back to the apartment. :(

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I was mowing my yard today and found a pile of pony turds. Who has a pony running amok in my neighborhood? And how was it hanging out in my yard without my dog or me noticing?

It must have been a ninja pony :ninja:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I was mowing my yard today and found a pile of pony turds. Who has a pony running amok in my neighborhood? And how was it hanging out in my yard without my dog or me noticing?

It must have been a ninja pony :ninja:

Its a Stealth Shitter Pony, closely related to the Shettland Pony.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Is blue merle coloring something that can show up in purebred beagles, maybe as a fault? I only ask because I saw a little dog who looked 100% beagle but instead of brown, black, or lemon spots he had sections of blue merle. I suppose he could have been beagle/smooth BC, without looking too much like a mix.

I was in my car and he was being walked, so I thought it would be weird for me to stop and ask about him.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

Is blue merle coloring something that can show up in purebred beagles, maybe as a fault? I only ask because I saw a little dog who looked 100% beagle but instead of brown, black, or lemon spots he had sections of blue merle. I suppose he could have been beagle/smooth BC, without looking too much like a mix.

I was in my car and he was being walked, so I thought it would be weird for me to stop and ask about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Cur

Catahoulas can be merle, and I bet since they're hunting dogs you'd see some of them mixed with beagles. I know catahoulas aren't super common, but I imagine if you are in the south, they're more common then you'd imagine.

Another possibility: beagle x dapple (merle) doxie?

EDIT: although google images turns up a poo poo load of "dapple" beagles too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

wtftastic posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Cur

Catahoulas can be merle, and I bet since they're hunting dogs you'd see some of them mixed with beagles. I know catahoulas aren't super common, but I imagine if you are in the south, they're more common then you'd imagine.

Another possibility: beagle x dapple (merle) doxie?

EDIT: although google images turns up a poo poo load of "dapple" beagles too.

I don't think I'm quite far enough south for Catahoulas, I live in Northern Virginia. Although, a lot of our local rescues pull dogs from shelters further south. This guy's merle areas were limited to where a regular beagle would have spots (ears, saddle, base of the tail), and Catahoulas generally seem to have more coverage, but anything is possible, especially if he's beagle x Catahoula.

Dachshund is possible too I guess, but he didn't have any of the body shape of a doxie.

He was very interesting looking. Like I said, totally beagle shape and coat, just those few little areas of merle.

Maybe I'll see him again, he was walking near my house. :)

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Guess where my uncle's girlfriend wants to get a puppy from? DiamondDoodles!. They have a problem with the phrase "puppy mill".

LunacySystem
Aug 11, 2007
ffffffffffffffffff

RazorBunny posted:

I want to say maybe a Dunker, but they're pretty rare as far as I know.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Invalid Octopus posted:

Guess where my uncle's girlfriend wants to get a puppy from? DiamondDoodles!. They have a problem with the phrase "puppy mill".

"We are a Professional Dog Kennel. This is the only job we have."

Yep, puppy mill. I don't think it is possible to live off income from puppies and not have a puppy-mill scale operation.

I have seen people that make a fair amount off various dog related things, however that's different. They generally make their big money off a combination of boarding fees, fees for specialized training, and stud fees on their trial-winning dogs. Even then it is normally along the lines of "I can buy a new horse trailer every other year!" instead of money to live off of.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Invalid Octopus posted:

Yikes, that's a large amount of puppies available. Is it bad that they are a commercial breeder? It definitely sounds bad.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Yeaaaaah. I don't know if she's set on doodles or not but I told my uncle that they're exceptionally bad, even for a doodle breeder. Oh well.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kuma using his mad ninja skills to hide......

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

I don't think I'm quite far enough south for Catahoulas, I live in Northern Virginia. Although, a lot of our local rescues pull dogs from shelters further south. This guy's merle areas were limited to where a regular beagle would have spots (ears, saddle, base of the tail), and Catahoulas generally seem to have more coverage, but anything is possible, especially if he's beagle x Catahoula.

Dachshund is possible too I guess, but he didn't have any of the body shape of a doxie.

He was very interesting looking. Like I said, totally beagle shape and coat, just those few little areas of merle.

When I was a groomer at the petco by you I had a catahoula come in once. So they are around :) Though, that is the only one I have ever seen in person, anywhere.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

RazorBunny posted:

I've seen some :banjo: people breeding blue/dappled beagles before.

Also this http://www.aladarbeagles.com/dapple.html

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Stregone posted:

When I was a groomer at the petco by you I had a catahoula come in once. So they are around :) Though, that is the only one I have ever seen in person, anywhere.

Mannnnn where I live you can trip over about 100000 catahoulas as soon as you take a step in any given direction. They cross them with EVERYTHING, too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

Mannnnn where I live you can trip over about 100000 catahoulas as soon as you take a step in any given direction. They cross them with EVERYTHING, too.

They're used for hunting large prey like hogs and bears, aren't they? We don't have as much of a culture of hunting large animals with dogs in Virginia - occasionally people will use them to track a wounded target, but the laws here are pretty strict about what you can use dogs for. Dogs are used more for hunting foxes and raccoons, or to retrieve birds. So you generally see beagles and Labradors in the hunting kennels, and occasionally harriers in the fancy fox hunting clubs, and that's about it. Occasionally someone will have a nice spaniel or setter for birding.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

jlechem posted:

Kuma using his mad ninja skills to hide......

This doggy is way too cute, and also a very sneaky ninja :3:

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

Invalid Octopus posted:

:suicide: Do you think your uncle would be able to talk her out of it, or is she already at the "picked out a puppy, fell in love, full steam ahead fucko!!!" stage?

In similarly awesome news, Savannah's mother might be pregnant again! (Brief background for anyone who doesn't remember; bf's aunt escaped an abusive husband, moved back in with extremely country parents who wouldn't let her keep her [intact, of loving course] dogs in the house, male dog got into female dog's pen and boom puppies. Savannah was the last of them and we agreed to take her.) I really, genuinely thought they had loving spayed Gretchen after this, but apparently not! And of course, they probably never took any of them to the vet at any point, but this is a seriously redneck area so who knows if the vet even would've suggested it (not a slam on vets, more a commentary that responsible pet ownership is not an easy thing to get people to do in Bumfuck, North Georgia). Anyway, Homer got into Gretchen's pen again recently. Let's just hope she wasn't in heat.

Oh, and it might be worth noting that these dogs stay outside in a pen (well, chained out in front of it in Homer's case) year loving round. A chihuahua and a dachshund. I think she has strong-armed her parents into letting them be crated inside at night during the winter. Family :negative:

Neena fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 22, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Invalid Octopus posted:

quote:

The term “puppymill” is a derogatory word used by animal rights activists and supporters against anyone who breeds dogs, and is no more acceptable than using slur names for those of different ethnic backgrounds. It is as degrading and offensive to professional breeders to call them “puppymills” as it is to call our fellow man slur names. It is not socially acceptable to call our fellow man names, nor is it acceptable to call breeders slur names.

Well, you heard it from the source, calling them a "puppy mill" is exactly the same as using racist slurs!

I've never seen a Catahoula outside of a working home here in New England, but they are becoming a fad breed, so I expect we'll see hundreds of high-strung understimulated ones in shelters within a year or so. It's a shame, really, I like them and they are real workhorses and good all-around woods dogs in general. When I see a merle dog that isn't an Aussie cross, I just assume that they were some backyard bred designer mutt; merle seems to be the ~rare~ fad color of the moment.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

demozthenes posted:

I've never seen a Catahoula outside of a working home here in New England, but they are becoming a fad breed, so I expect we'll see hundreds of high-strung understimulated ones in shelters within a year or so. It's a shame, really, I like them and they are real workhorses and good all-around woods dogs in general. When I see a merle dog that isn't an Aussie cross, I just assume that they were some backyard bred designer mutt; merle seems to be the ~rare~ fad color of the moment.

Well, they ought to just ship up a bunch from the south, because I'm agreeing with Super that they're everywhere down there.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

demozthenes posted:

Yeah lots of merle cropping up in APBTs lately, and a lot of people speculate it originated from catahoulas being commonly crossed with them for hogging. Interestingly, the majority of legit catahoula/apbt/bulldog crosses I see in working homes are NOT merle, so I dunno how true that actually is.

They're common all-purpose hunting dogs here but I am starting to see them leak into "RARE LEOPARD DOG CRYSTAL BLUE EYES RARE BREED" crazyland and more and more they're starting to fill up the shelters here. Some are decent working catahoulas that wandered off and got lost/were dumped but the vast majority seem to be year old puppies that are batshit insane and super high-strung. They seem to have very weak temperaments as a whole and I keep hearing that they have really low drive according to the people I know who have sprung them from shelters and tried to work with them. I hear them compared to the average companion-bred weimeraner a lot. So, apparently crappy pet RARE BLUE MERLE catahoulas are becoming enough of a thing that people are cranking out ones lovely enough that they can't be put to use by even really experienced people.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Invalid Octopus posted:

Yeaaaaah. I don't know if she's set on doodles or not but I told my uncle that they're exceptionally bad, even for a doodle breeder. Oh well.

Have you told her that doodles are winding up in shelters all the loving time now? I've seen at least a handful in the past year. A one-year-old "Goldendoodle" from a breeder was recently turned in to us. Reason? Completely normal, easily fixable puppy behavior that they never did any training with. :downs: Ohhh nooo he's slightly hyper, he might knock over the kids, TAKE THIS UNMANAGEABLE BEAST!

I have a "Goldendoodle" in my daycare. He's actually very calm and sweet, and adorably shy when trying to play with the other dogs. :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

They're used for hunting large prey like hogs and bears, aren't they? We don't have as much of a culture of hunting large animals with dogs in Virginia - occasionally people will use them to track a wounded target, but the laws here are pretty strict about what you can use dogs for. Dogs are used more for hunting foxes and raccoons, or to retrieve birds. So you generally see beagles and Labradors in the hunting kennels, and occasionally harriers in the fancy fox hunting clubs, and that's about it. Occasionally someone will have a nice spaniel or setter for birding.

Oh man there's tons of hogs in virginia. Is hunting hogs with dogs there illegal? Because if so, I know quite a few virginia-based APBT people who are SO breaking the law. :banjo:

Here, I think it's just illegal to start pups on penned hogs (lol) but the rest is fine. I can't imagine how you'd get rid of a bunch of feral hogs without dawgs. Not easily, anyway.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Skizzles posted:

Have you told her that doodles are winding up in shelters all the loving time now? I've seen at least a handful in the past year. A one-year-old "Goldendoodle" from a breeder was recently turned in to us. Reason? Completely normal, easily fixable puppy behavior that they never did any training with. :downs: Ohhh nooo he's slightly hyper, he might knock over the kids, TAKE THIS UNMANAGEABLE BEAST!

I have a "Goldendoodle" in my daycare. He's actually very calm and sweet, and adorably shy when trying to play with the other dogs. :3:
Haven't spoken to her at all, on vacation with uncle/other family, but not her. Told uncle it was a horrible horrible breeder and that doodles are, in general, a bad idea when he asked what I thought. But I'm not gonna send her an email about her Dog Choices or anything.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

Oh man there's tons of hogs in virginia. Is hunting hogs with dogs there illegal? Because if so, I know quite a few virginia-based APBT people who are SO breaking the law. :banjo:

Here, I think it's just illegal to start pups on penned hogs (lol) but the rest is fine. I can't imagine how you'd get rid of a bunch of feral hogs without dawgs. Not easily, anyway.

They're not really that widespread. I think there are only about 30 counties that have reported feral hogs, out of 100+ in the state. I think hunting hogs with dogs is legal, it's just not really part of the "hunting culture" most people grew up with around here. I'm sure as more hogs are reported, more people will get into hunting them. Culpeper seems to have people actively hunting them, and is relatively close to where I live. I've also heard they show up around Virginia Beach a lot.

The best part is that they were intentionally introduced during a period where there weren't many deer or bears to bag :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

So my parents babysat my dog for a month while I was overseas, which was fantastic because I didn't have to pay for boarding or anything.

But argh she came back home being a total horrible table beggar because they fed her scraps. :argh:

Also my cats got fatter because my mother gave them Purina Kitten Chow as a treat and now they're only picking at their regular food.

:sigh:

• Locked thread