Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

Yeah lots of merle cropping up in APBTs lately, and a lot of people speculate it originated from catahoulas being commonly crossed with them for hogging. Interestingly, the majority of legit catahoula/apbt/bulldog crosses I see in working homes are NOT merle, so I dunno how true that actually is.

They're common all-purpose hunting dogs here but I am starting to see them leak into "RARE LEOPARD DOG CRYSTAL BLUE EYES RARE BREED" crazyland and more and more they're starting to fill up the shelters here. Some are decent working catahoulas that wandered off and got lost/were dumped but the vast majority seem to be year old puppies that are batshit insane and super high-strung. They seem to have very weak temperaments as a whole and I keep hearing that they have really low drive according to the people I know who have sprung them from shelters and tried to work with them. I hear them compared to the average companion-bred weimeraner a lot. So, apparently crappy pet RARE BLUE MERLE catahoulas are becoming enough of a thing that people are cranking out ones lovely enough that they can't be put to use by even really experienced people.

That's a real shame- to have such a striking dog with working ability and then to breed them to poo poo and to place them into homes that can't handle it. I mean I bet one of those dogs would be great in a home where someone does springpole and scent work or just exercises the heck out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ok so this might be a random post, but whatever. It's something that keeps coming up lately and it's been bothering me.

Basically, what I'm wondering has to do with gender and pet ownership. I'm a 27-year-old male who has been a cat owner for well over a year now. For some reasons I've been getting more comments in general about this, and like... whether it's "okay" for a guy to have a cat, or what that means.

Out of various conversations I've had lately, I've gotten the sense that there's some sort of consensus that's it's "strange" or "weird" for a single man to own a cat. A dog is okay for a single man to have, and is a different story entirely, but not a cat. However, it appears to be considered totally normal and fine for a single gay man to own a cat, which I guess is good in my case since I really LOVE being normal. On the other hand, I always find it troubling when I inadvertently adhere directly to stereotypes. Anyway, myy own personal experiences bear this out on a purely anecdotal basis, based on reactions people have had about my cat ownership and how well those people knew me (whether they knew I was gay or not).

My father also sent me an article on this very subject which is what got my brain rolling about it: Confessions of a Male Cat Owner. It's actually a pretty cute little piece, and sums up the issue better than me.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Huh, there's actually a stigma against guys owning cats? My research mentor had 5 cats at home and our only response upon knowing was "Really? That's cool!"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:psyduck: First I've heard of a stigma against dudes with cats. No wonder the ladies don't like me :saddowns: I have 7! Granted, it was 5 originally, Athos and Porthos came along via an accidental pregnancy before we could get Cassandra fixed and we couldn't find them homes before they clawed their way into our hearts, but we are absolutely adamant- No more. We're at the limit of how many we can feed and take care of; the animals get better food then we do :saddowns:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 22, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I'm familiar with cats-are-for-women as a thing. Men are supposed to have ~manly dawgs~ to do manly things with, like hunting or (for the huge bulk of the US population) walking around the block and picking poo poo off the sidewalk in plastic baggies. Pets that are just for patting (cats, toy dogs) are insufficiently ~manly~ and suggest a degree of sensitivity suitable only for women and gay men. (Many women will respond positively to a guy with a cat (possibly two cats) because he must be sweet and sensitive and caring.)

It's a lot of bullshit, like most gender stuff, and I'm deliberately presenting it in broader terms than most people actually believe, but I think it's a fairly strong and widespread unconscious perception.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Kerafyrm posted:

So my parents babysat my dog for a month while I was overseas, which was fantastic because I didn't have to pay for boarding or anything.

But argh she came back home being a total horrible table beggar because they fed her scraps. :argh:

Also my cats got fatter because my mother gave them Purina Kitten Chow as a treat and now they're only picking at their regular food.

:sigh:

I'm sure your parents were well meaning, but really, that sucks.

I'm a Mom who's babysat my daughter's dog on numerous occasions. I confess I did tend to dote on the dog a little, and gave her a few more treats than she gets at home. And so what if I added a daily spoonful of wet food to her kibble, just as a taste treat? And I have to document her visits with me, so of course there's always a CD of the 100+ photos. And there's nothing wrong with buying her a couple cute collars is there, or maybe a new soft cushy bed, or perhaps even a dog shirt or two? :3:

But that's as far as it goes. I figure it's my job, as a grandmother to human children and dogs alike, to shower them all with love and affection, a few treats that they wouldn't get at home, and all the attention they want. But it wouldn't even occur to me to undo the hard work of the parents by undermining them. How would they ever trust me again?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

If it's weird for guys to be owning cats, I wonder...
Super, anyone look at you funny for owning "manly" dogs?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bear Rape posted:

Do you think anyone is going to say poo poo when faced with Moses? Cause he's a pibble and we all know how vicious they are with people and what if Super just unleashed him.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

wtftastic posted:

Do you think anyone is going to say poo poo when faced with Moses? Cause he's a pibble and we all know how vicious they are with people and what if Super just unleashed him.
You say this sarcastically, but the whippy tail of an excited pit bull is a dangerous thing.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

ladyweapon posted:

You say this sarcastically, but the whippy tail of an excited pit bull is a dangerous thing.

Especially if they manage to injure it and spray you with blood.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Bear Rape posted:

how the gently caress can you call Frankie manly?

It goes both ways though, I'm sure people judge me for being a young woman and having a *~little dog~* even if she is a jack russell and isn't just a lapdog and all that crap.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I get men coming up to coo over my lapdog all the time, it must be because he looks like a scruffy old grump. :3:

Gary's going to daycare on Friday to see if he likes it. I am trying not to be a nervous mum but what if he gets bullied or the other kids don't like him or he skins his knee.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Fraction posted:

how the gently caress can you call Frankie manly?

It goes both ways though, I'm sure people judge me for being a young woman and having a *~little dog~* even if she is a jack russell and isn't just a lapdog and all that crap.

Squished-face dogs are the manliest dogs. :colbert:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I remember one time, I was out walking Koji and an old man was checking out the apartment below ours with the office. I came up and he starts asking me about Koji.

:raise: "What kind of dog is that?"

:rolleyes: "A Shiba, it's a little Japanese dog."

:raise: "What kind of sled can it pull?"

:rolleyes: "It's not a sled dog, they were bred as hunting dogs."

:raise: "I was about to say...but hunting dog?! What the hell do dogs like that hunt?!"

:rolleyes: "Small things."

:raise: "It's a real WOMAN'S dog!"

My husband then walks up.

:raise: "Oh, I'm sorry son, is it YOUR dog?" :smuggo:

Hubs: :confused:

:rolleyes: "Nope, it's mine~"

:allears:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Once, I read a theory that dogs are considered "manly" because "manly men" (a.k.a. insecure men) want to control/order around their subjects - the dog is a proxy for what they want in a woman, you can tell it what to do and it will still adore you undyingly. Cats cannot be controlled and are choosy about affection, and men who are so concerned about control don't want any more of that in their lives. I've seen the same attitude in plenty of dog ladies, too, so it's definitely not a 100% male thing.

It's definitely a silly fluff theory, but I find a shred of truth to it. People who are outspoken cat haters tend to be lovely people, in my experience.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

demozthenes posted:

Once, I read a theory that dogs are considered "manly" because "manly men" (a.k.a. insecure men) want to control/order around their subjects - the dog is a proxy for what they want in a woman, you can tell it what to do and it will still adore you undyingly. Cats cannot be controlled and are choosy about affection, and men who are so concerned about control don't want any more of that in their lives. I've seen the same attitude in plenty of dog ladies, too, so it's definitely not a 100% male thing.

It's definitely a silly fluff theory, but I find a shred of truth to it. People who are outspoken cat haters tend to be lovely people, in my experience.

I'll buy it. I mean, as a description of an element of the weird dumb feelings people have about animals and gender. This stuff kind of interests me, honestly. The whole pet/person relationship involves so many elusive unconscious ideas.

Along with blatant loudly-articulated ideas, apparently, like "It's a real WOMAN'S dog!" :suicide:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
As a young lesbian, according to stereotypes I should have a large pit bull and drive a Toyota Tacoma.

WELP.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Captain Foxy posted:

As a young lesbian, according to stereotypes I should have a large pit bull and drive a Toyota Tacoma.

WELP.

But I'm a guy with a tacoma...what kind of dog do I need to keep my manly machismo mainlined? :P
Does my Vallhund count? Maybe I need a swedish car to go with my dog...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

WELP.

If we're going by stereotypes I should have at least 2 kids, weigh 300 pounds and maybe have a poorly cared for yorkiepoo I can clutch to my "I'M A MILITARY WIFE" pink camo shirt.

I swear to god if anyone ever brings one of those shirts near me, I'm burning it.

PI: breakin' the mould.

E: If we're out with all four dogs, Husband walks Kaydee's prissy rear end and Ires while I've got the danes. It gets more odd looks than I ever expected.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 22, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bear Rape posted:

I've been asked if Major was "[my] boyfriend's/husband's dog" when walking him around or chatting with people in the vet's office even though I'm there with him alone. :saddowns:

Also people have commented on how he was too big to be my dog because I'm ony 5'2" and he's a horse. Whatever, he's the smallest animal on the farm and I can handle all of them just fine.

Captain Foxy posted:

WELP.

I drive a Tacoma and have a large dog that has been confused for a pit bull before.

Does this mean I'm a lesbian now? :ohdear:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'm a transguy with rabbits and a manly dog. And a boring sedan.

I have no idea.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Siochain posted:

But I'm a guy with a tacoma...what kind of dog do I need to keep my manly machismo mainlined? :P
Does my Vallhund count? Maybe I need a swedish car to go with my dog...

Do it. Get a Volvo, not a loving SAAB.

Bailey is a chick magnet. If I was a dude (or a lesbian), I'd be pretty psyched. Fortunately he's also a creepy dude repellent due to his size. Also I own an old Volvo with shitloads of bumper stickers and out of state plates, and I'm not really sure what that means.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
See, I get the opposite problem. For some reason my two poms are dude magnets, especially Bridget. Only a couple of months ago this random guy pulled up along side me in his Escalade and said, "drat, that's a pretty dog," and drove off. Little boys go apeshit for her, too. There's even one in my neighborhood who politely asks to pet her every time he sees her.

I will admit that guys who have cats turn me into a puddle of goo, though. I absolutely loving loathe those stupid stick figure family decals on cars, but one day I saw one in the back window of a truck that was a guy in a tie and seven cats trailing next to him and I was all :3:.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

wtftastic posted:

Also I own an old Volvo with shitloads of bumper stickers and out of state plates, and I'm not really sure what that means.

That creepy dude who owns a reticulated python.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I will admit that guys who have cats turn me into a puddle of goo, though. I absolutely loving loathe those stupid stick figure family decals on cars, but one day I saw one in the back window of a truck that was a guy in a tie and seven cats trailing next to him and I was all :3:.

me too. My boyfriend has a cat (well, we live together now, so now *we* have a cat) and I thought it was the cutest thing.

Also, check this out: http://menandcats.tumblr.com/ :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Plus_Infinity posted:

me too. My boyfriend has a cat (well, we live together now, so now *we* have a cat) and I thought it was the cutest thing.

Also, check this out: http://menandcats.tumblr.com/ :3:

YES. This reminds me, too...A few days ago I posted in Yappy Rats about how my very ~manly~ construction worker boss wants a "yorkiepoo" because they're Cute and he likes Cute Dogs (he's also a cat lady but can't have them because his wife's crazy allergic). I've been helping him scour shelters for the dog he wants.

Also also there's a pet salon here in town called Doggy Styles owned by this huge Samoan dude. He has an adorable little white pom that he routinely dresses up and he even dyes her tail hot pink, and the salon is COVERED in glamour-type framed photos of her in tiny convertibles/wearing biker jackets/dripping in diamonds and it's the BEST THING. Every time he grooms Genevieve for me he makes sure she smells like violets and puts a prissy bow around her neck and la la la la la.

The last time I was there I met his wife.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Real men not only own cats... they own fluffy cats :colbert:

There is a good bit of machismo attached to certain breeds of dog. Jus tlook at any website for the hippo-esque "blue nose american bulldawgs!" I can't think of any cat types that would have the same sort of thinking applied to them. I think that is just silly really. Anecdote time: a friend was searching on an online dating site and after getting way too many results he changed down his search to exclude those that owned cats. Zero results.

In less whimsical news my friend's parents' dog passed away. The dog was a 13 year old boxer but she had collapsed a few days before yet was seeming to being doing much better until last evening when she refused any food at all and collapsed and passed when my friend was going to take her for a walk. She's really distraught because you know.. family dog and such. I loved that dog too and she's the reason I want a boxer. Sadtimes.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bear Rape posted:

That creepy dude who owns a reticulated python.

why must I be that person.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

wtftastic posted:

Do it. Get a Volvo, not a loving SAAB.

Bailey is a chick magnet. If I was a dude (or a lesbian), I'd be pretty psyched. Fortunately he's also a creepy dude repellent due to his size. Also I own an old Volvo with shitloads of bumper stickers and out of state plates, and I'm not really sure what that means.

Asa is a chick magnet to :P ahah. People love cute, small-medium sized dogs that are super friendly. Although the g/f gets weird looks every now and then walking her for some reason.
And I would totally buy a volvo if I could afford one :/

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

kaworu posted:

Ok so this might be a random post, but whatever. It's something that keeps coming up lately and it's been bothering me.

Basically, what I'm wondering has to do with gender and pet ownership. I'm a 27-year-old male who has been a cat owner for well over a year now. For some reasons I've been getting more comments in general about this, and like... whether it's "okay" for a guy to have a cat, or what that means.
The concept of a man owning a cat is so outlandish around here, that when my boyfriend took our cats to the spay/neuter clinic they wrote an entire article about him in the local newspaper. :sigh:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Captain Foxy posted:

WELP.

Yeah basically. When I was a fat military wife, everyone just assumed the pit bulls were my husband's and they were really weirded out when they found out they were mine.

Now that I'm a not-fat lesbo engaged to a brown foreign transwoman my rainbow-collared pit bull is suddenly much more sensible, and when we're together that's apparently fine. If I'm alone though I do get a lot of "HAW HAW UR BOYFRIENDS MAKIN U WALK HIS DAWG HUH :haw:" comments.

I do notice, now that I'm not fat, people are WAY more shocked by my dog choices than they were when I was a whale.

Edit: I am also "that girl with the rats" but that's okay because I dye my hair black and wear a lot of eyeliner which keeps the concept of "girl with pit bulls and rats" from ruining everyone's collective.

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 22, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I confuse the hell out of people with my rats and my big dog and my bisexuality and my tattoos, because none of those things are readily apparent. To paraphrase John Mulaney, "I look like someone who's been sitting in a chair eating saltines for twenty-six years." I look like the most boring milquetoast human being on the planet, and I'm into some very strange poo poo.

Now that I no longer work in an office and can do weird things with my fingernails and wear superhero t-shirts every day, I'm having more trouble "passing" as a mundane ;)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

... I look like your typical 30-something overweight Mexican lady, except that I should have 4+ kids by now and a fat husband. People look at me funny when I talk about my chickens.

Yay I'm a crazy chicken lady now :haw:!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

My fiancé came with the Chihuahua. I get a few surprised expressions when I explain to people that, no, the tiny dog was not my idea -- my dog is the crazy fucker barking its head off and running in circles. Most people don't have much trouble understanding that Cohen is my dog, but they're surprised to see the gruff, stubbly man walking tinydog.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I dont think I really come across any of these stereotypes. But...'new yawk, lawl'? Im fairly used to a lot of big guys owning teeny cutesy dogs such as poms, chis, yorkies, maltese, shi tzus, etc. Same goes for ladies and giant dogs. I guess if I HAVE to be more stereotyping, those ladies are never giiiiiiiirly ladies.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I have the hat, the coat, and the wolfdog, so I am 75% of the way to achieving my childhood dream of being Natty Gann. All I need now is John Cusack.

Alternately I've been told that the hat and coat make me look like Anastasia from the cartoon, who now that I think about it also ended up with John Cusack. There is a Theme.

I'm not posting an actual picture of myself because it is pathetic how I'm 35 and yet look like a 16 year old orphan.

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
I see the stigma against men owning cats sometimes, and it makes me crazy because there is almost nothing on this planet more adorable to me than a cute guy who really loves his cat. All of the headbutting and arm wrestling and baby talking oh man. :3: My husband and HIS CAT melt my heart every time.

And just to vent some crazy cat lady emotions... Oh man I'm about to go on vacation for a week for the first time ever. And even though my cats are going to have a petsitter/housesitter the whole time, I am going to miss them so bad. I'm worried about which one is going to be the most pathetic and sad without me. How am I going to wake up in the morning without them annoying me?!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

It's not so bad Aravenna, I've been getting guesses of 30 since I was about 19 (after growing out the Mohawk, that is...). Lately people have been assuming I'm older than my husband, who's 11 years my senior.

I'm told it's because of my "mature bearing," :smug:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

It's not so bad Aravenna, I've been getting guesses of 30 since I was about 19 (after growing out the Mohawk, that is...). Lately people have been assuming I'm older than my husband, who's 11 years my senior.

I'm told it's because of my "mature bearing," :smug:

According to your pics in the cosplay thread, their eyes are broken. You look super young to me. :psyduck:

Brillig posted:

And just to vent some crazy cat lady emotions... Oh man I'm about to go on vacation for a week for the first time ever. And even though my cats are going to have a petsitter/housesitter the whole time, I am going to miss them so bad. I'm worried about which one is going to be the most pathetic and sad without me. How am I going to wake up in the morning without them annoying me?!

Call home every day and ask to speak to the cats! My girlfriend does this all the time when she's away and oddly enough, Genevieve seems to really enjoy it. There's always a little bit of a spring in her step after she gets rub her face on the phone and listen to her mama babble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
My cats have absolutely no interest in voices over the phone. They're no fun. Honestly I don't expect or intend to have enough downtime to waste it on talking to a bunch of ungrateful fuzzbutts anyway. :)

• Locked thread