Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Seabreeze posted:

Hey, anyone here do any FMA (Filipino MA)? I just started practicing a branch of Kali Ilustrisimo called Bahad Zubu.

Pretty fun and I'm pleased so far by the emphasis on sparring and relatively basic attacks/defenses.

Did it for a long time. They are very fun to train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Today there was an submission wrestling competition co-hosted by our local MMA club and Judo club.

I got in three matches;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZRJzF0KrJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbgLUoZry6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLrOi8mizOY

Hahaha that suit! The other guys are right you're doing a great job keeping your hips moving and looking for the angles.

Vid1: You missed a great opportunity to throw when he based out and postured up against your neck grip in the very beginning, you can always reap the advanced leg when they do that. Also, good instinct with the guillotine grip but don't forget to sprawl back with it.

Vid2: When you crossed your feet in that initial arm bar you should have been switching to an omoplata instead, you should continue rotating for a sweep if you can't tap at the elbow with your arm bars, and you should sweep to mount if you're having trouble finishing the triangle (just hug your knees together with both arms and it'll tap the thin necks when it's that deep).

I'll have to think about vid3 after class.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
That suit is effing GREAT. Every MA needs stuff like that if allowed within rules, and if not, it should be. It was just awesome.

Also nice grappling.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Bohemian Nights posted:

... I have serious issues with people who have thin necks, but whatevs.

One of the teenagers at my school has a tiny neck, and the only way I can finish a triangle on him is to "shorten" my leg. Point your toes up and grab your shin/ankle where your leg would normally lock. Then lock in your second leg the way you normally would (except it's against your arm, not your foot). It's harder to work from there since you're tying up one arm, but if you've already got everything else in place then it'll tighten the squeeze on their neck by the width of your hand.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bohemian Nights posted:

^^ I quickly understood what had happened, and I was mostly laughing about it. You feel a lot LESS ashamed wearing a mask, so it has that going for it. ^^

Yeah, that turtle roll thing is something I manage to pull off from time to time. You can end up in all kinds of crazy positions, or just back into open guard, but I usually like toeholds from there. I really like toeholds in general!

Also, the suit wasn't just slippery under my feet, it was pretty slippery everywhere, especially if it gets sweaty.
The grip itself was fine, and people seemed to be able to grip me with reasonable ease, but when I was surfing over people, I could definitely feel that i was sliding around more than I would be with just my bare skin, so holding people down was a little harder. It was pretty much like wearing rashguard all over your body, and it was mostly weird because it covered the legs, so I guess I'd experience the same thing with spats.
I don't know for sure that it was worse for that, but it was certainly a different experience!

You can hear and see just fine (unless you're told to identify someone from 10 meters) through it, you can even drink straight through the mask. I think it's called a morphsuit , and that it's originally the kind of stuff people who do green screen work in movies wear. Breathing was slightly laboured, but it didn't become an issue in these matches.

Oh, and as for the why, just because it looked like it could be fun. Another dude does it in a red suit on youtube, and I've been curious about it since then. Had a dry test with it before on Sunday, but that's it. People seemed to love it, and it was fun, so it's justified in my mind!

I'm really really not trying to be disrespectful, you clearly know what you're doing on the mat but I'd get laughed out of my loving gym if I showed up wearing a gimp suit and this post makes it sound borderline fetish or something

E: wait that was totally just for the gently caress of it? No point at all besides wanting to wear a gimp suit? I kind of can't help but respect that now, psyops on the mat

T.S. Smelliot fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 22, 2012

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The gimp suit was epic. It bears repeating. Continue to wear it and become a local hero.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

oh my god i need a morph suit

Israfel posted:

I'm really really not trying to be disrespectful, you clearly know what you're doing on the mat but I'd get laughed out of my loving gym if I showed up wearing a gimp suit and this post makes it sound borderline fetish or something

Your gym takes itself too seriously, obviously. Closely related to dressing like a retard, there'll be a guy from my gym on the next ultimate fighter season... and you'll know which one pretty fast, I think.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Israfel posted:

Okay, but the chicks digged it! :v: I just preemptively answered all the questions everyone at the comp asked me, in case anyone here wondered!

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

The morphsuit is cool. Can't get over that style!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seabreeze posted:

Hey, anyone here do any FMA (Filipino MA)? I just started practicing a branch of Kali Ilustrisimo called Bahad Zubu.

Pretty fun and I'm pleased so far by the emphasis on sparring and relatively basic attacks/defenses.

Report back with theory and application for stuff. My only exposure to FMA is watching Dog Brothers tapes and would like to hear more emptyhand experience with it.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Report back with theory and application for stuff. My only exposure to FMA is watching Dog Brothers tapes and would like to hear more emptyhand experience with it.

The instructors don't seem to like the fma empty hand patty cake stuff so they literally just teach western boxing (they're certified trainers in that) and throw some elbows in the mix.

As for the weapons theory, this style has origins in sword and knife stuff more than stick stuff so there isn't much hard blocking and twirly stuff. It's more about ducking and weaving and using your footwork to avoid getting smacked.

Surprisingly, my 10+ years of kendo training seems to help a bit because there are a few parallels here and there. Except...you know...it's less weaboo and full contact.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seabreeze posted:

It's more about ducking and weaving and using your footwork to avoid getting smacked.

But do you preserve any triangle steps? A lot of those tactics show up in boxing anyways, but I would imagine an FMA school to keep that formalized.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

But do you preserve any triangle steps? A lot of those tactics show up in boxing anyways, but I would imagine an FMA school to keep that formalized.

Yeah, there's triangular footwork.

From what I've seen so far it's used in a sort of "stick and move" application, or to get out of a close range fight and force your opponent to pivot so it's a bit harder to chase after you. I'm pretty sure there's an offensive application but I literally just started a few weeks ago.

And more about the theory: I really dig the emphasis on body mechanics in swinging your weapon. Lots of hip/leg movement and weight shifting to get more snap into it.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask a few questions. I decided I wanted to learn a MA after checking out the thread, and wanting to get in shape. I'm having a hard time deciding which to choose though. Anyone in the king county area of WA know any good places to learn? I'm looking toward judo or a form of karate, but I'm willing to check anything out.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elblanco posted:

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask a few questions. I decided I wanted to learn a MA after checking out the thread, and wanting to get in shape. I'm having a hard time deciding which to choose though. Anyone in the king county area of WA know any good places to learn? I'm looking toward judo or a form of karate, but I'm willing to check anything out.

Judo looks like heaps of fun to me. I'd love to take it up in addition to BJJ, but time and expense mean I can't. There's a Kyokushin Karate class before my wednesday BJJ class and that looks pretty cool too, and does full contact fighting (unlike some other Karate styles).

Don't worry too much about your fitness when you start. The fitness will absolutely arrive if you stick with your training and push yourself. When I started BJJ I thought I was going to pass out and puke by halfway through the warmup but three months later I get through the whole thing and then 1.5 hours of drilling/rolling. I'm doing some lifting and even running on some of my non-training days now, and I loving hate running. I found that the BJJ motivates me into more fitness stuff, and the fitness stuff lets me go harder at BJJ, making me fitter - it's a self re-enforcing cycle.

Edit: there's some great advice about picking an art and a gym towards the start of this thread. Basically, train in an art that looks fun, that you have a good local instructor for, and is taught somewhere that's not sketchy.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 22, 2012

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Elblanco posted:

Well I can tell you as far as striking goes I was originally considering Kyokushin Karate but goons in irc convinced me to do Muay Thai instead and I can honestly say looking back it makes me cringe at the idea of not being able to use my knees or elbows or clinch in a striking art. I'm not going to say I outright look down on Kyokushin since it's definitely a legit thing but after going through a Kyokushin class, barely breaking a sweat and then going to my MT gym and barely being able to stand and almost puking twice during the 1 hour free lesson, if you are looking to get into shape then do Judo or Muay Thai. It's also going to be a lot more useful in a self-defense situation than karate would be.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Israfel posted:

Well I can tell you as far as striking goes I was originally considering Kyokushin Karate but goons in irc convinced me to do Muay Thai instead and I can honestly say looking back it makes me cringe at the idea of not being able to use my knees or elbows or clinch in a striking art. I'm not going to say I outright look down on Kyokushin since it's definitely a legit thing but after going through a Kyokushin class, barely breaking a sweat and then going to my MT gym and barely being able to stand and almost puking twice during the 1 hour free lesson, if you are looking to get into shape then do Judo or Muay Thai. It's also going to be a lot more useful in a self-defense situation than karate would be.

Depending on your goals, the art itself doesn't matter as much as how they train. Typically, Muay Thai gyms train really hard, so you'll get a good workout, but some more traditional arts train just as hard. Definitely try to sit in on a class or two if you can and test places out. For all you know the Kyokushin place will run you just as ragged as anything else. If, of course, general fitness is your goal. As far as self defense goes, I wouldn't even bother with a striking art. I say that as a long time practitioner of Muay Thai.

In short, you should be sitting in on a free session at all your prospective gyms/schools before determining anything. If fitness is your goal, don't bitch out and go with the one that makes you puke.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I found a couple places I'd be interested in for judo or kyokushin, but I have no idea if they're legit or not. The judo place makes some pretty big claims too, I just don't see anywhere on the site that shows a certification.

http://www.judochampions.com/home

http://www.kyokushinseattle.com/index.html

If anyone knows anything about these gyms I'd greatly appreciate any info you have.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Israfel posted:

Well I can tell you as far as striking goes I was originally considering Kyokushin Karate but goons in irc convinced me to do Muay Thai instead and I can honestly say looking back it makes me cringe at the idea of not being able to use my knees or elbows or clinch in a striking art. I'm not going to say I outright look down on Kyokushin since it's definitely a legit thing but after going through a Kyokushin class, barely breaking a sweat and then going to my MT gym and barely being able to stand and almost puking twice during the 1 hour free lesson

A serious KK school should be allowing clinches as well as elbows and knees to the body during sparring.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Welp, returned from Fightcamp 2012 yesterday. I am bruised all over, my bruises have bruises on their bruises, it's great. People seem to think I'm into BDSM now.

Mostly did a bunch of pugilism/clinching/bare knuckle fisticuffs workshops, good fun. Also smacked my hand so hard we decided to get it x-rayed, (it's fine, I'm apparently Wolverine), randomly fought a shitload of people with longsword/messer/messer&buckler/grappling, fought Longsword in the tourney in which I had one excellent match and got curbstomped in the next one and there was a lot of bacon.

Overall, a well-spent long weekend.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

I don't know anything about that club, but I have had some very positive experiences with http://www.spokanejudo.com/. I went to Japan with Sensei Tashiro some years ago and he (and his daughter Missy) made a big impression on me as awesome people and talented competitive judoka. I'm sure if you called they would be able to give you a knowledgeable assessment of Holm's club.

Also, don't overlook the Seattle Dojo.
http://www.seattledojo.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Dojo

In general something to remember is that American Judoka don't tend to do very well in the upper level competitive scene so look skeptically at dojos claiming to produce champions.

----

Unrelated I've been drilling this lately and it seems super reliable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbiPFvFGsZk Kimura>Triangle switch

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 22, 2012

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

A serious KK school should be allowing clinches as well as elbows and knees to the body during sparring.

like I emphasized as well, if this Kyokushin school is the real thing and works your rear end out with elbows and knees as well during sparring, it's legit and definitely consider it. All I was trying to say was be wary of McDojos I guess

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Israfel posted:

like I emphasized as well, if this Kyokushin school is the real thing and works your rear end out with elbows and knees as well during sparring, it's legit and definitely consider it. All I was trying to say was be wary of McDojos I guess

Sure. I just wanted to differentiate between "makes me cringe at the idea of not being able to use my knees or elbows or clinch in a striking art" and "not going to say I outright look down on Kyokushin since it's definitely a legit thing."

Those could be taken to mean that the KK style doesn't allow those technique, despite it being legit.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Seabreeze posted:

I did FMA for ~2 years, we generally referred to it as "Kali" though it was one of those things where we would focus on ALL of the SE Asian Island arts, Arnis for a few weeks, then P'Kal for a few weeks, mish-mashing where appropriate, then say a few weeks of Pekiti-Tirsia mixed in with blade work from Pencak Silat and so on ). There was a Dog Brother's class on the weekends as well if you were so inclined. Keep in mind the following is just my experience, it may not be yours or anyone else's.

It was fun and you feel like a kung-fu master in a very short time. However, the only people that I saw who had been doing it for years and years were into it more for the ART ( and it can be beautiful ) and not the "practical" application. The head instructor was about as legit as it gets with Pekiti-Tirsia/FMA ( trained under Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje, jr & Dan Inosanto ) and would always say that it's more about learning the reflexes, the muscle memory, and appreciating the beauty of all SE Asian arts.

That is where I faltered and why I ended up quitting. I didn't feel there was any real or practical application for the art, that I was willing to use anyway. The sparring isn't "live" - even if you take into account Dog Brothers ( and years of training ), because you're NOT using an actual weapon. Every "sparring" session you do is with the knowledge that you are using a plastic or dull knife ( or stick ). You KNOW that if you gently caress up you might get a bruise at worst. Even the instructors, however "legit" they are, likely haven't ever been in a real knife-fight or had to defend themselves. Per that video posted it's all "theory", they are doing what they were taught. The only real solution I could think is if you use those Electric knives that simulate being slashed - they had only just come out at the time though and were quite expensive. So sparring devolved into choreography, fun and bad-rear end looking, but it was choreography none-the-less.

Finally I started to think about real-world application as it pertained to me, self-defense, and I felt it lacking as well because the entire art was built around a time and people where killing and being killed was a common occurrence, a part of the culture. If someone pulls a knife on me, I would rather run or give them money than try to be Jason Bourne. There is also so much focus on counter-counter-counter-counter moves, much like JJ/BJJ, only again, in what actual situation am I going to need to know the 10th counter-move from an initial swing by some crazy gently caress who is trying to stab me? How often am I going to run into a serious FMA practictioner who is trying to rob me? What if, in real life, my training turns out to be totally useless because the guy isn't following the choreography I learned?

The only actual useful non-lethal application I found was grip breaking.

Granted after watching that Irvine video where he describes his home invasion, I can see the merit of learning the reflexes. However I think if that is the goal, self-defense, you should focus on a legit Self Defense/Krav Maga school instead. No flowery dancing, just pure efficiency.

That's why I went to Muay Thai - It's a much more simplified set of moves ( not saying easy, just there are fewer of them ) that you can spend a life-time on perfecting - but you can still perform the basic moves from the very beginning. There is "live" sparring/training. You can go to tournaments and fights where you use the skills you've learned. In basic self-defense situations ( no weapons ) you could in theory block ( or take ) a punch and/or disable someone without killing them, or gently caress them up if it really came down to it.

FMA is just like Wing Chun - it looks cool as hell but does it actually work? How do you "prove" some of the techniques without literally killing someone?

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 22, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TollTheHounds posted:

FMA is just like Wing Chun - it looks cool as hell but does it actually work? How do you "prove" some of the techniques without literally killing someone?

I did FMA for several years. I would say that FMA is much more "reality-tested" than Wing Chun. I would agree with some of your points, though. You might be interested in reading these articles.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elblanco posted:

http://www.judochampions.com/home

If anyone knows anything about these gyms I'd greatly appreciate any info you have.

Well, that gym seems to be heavily into the Hidden Dark Judo Ninja Art of bowing & tazing people.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011

TollTheHounds posted:

That is where I faltered and why I ended up quitting. I didn't feel there was any real or practical application for the art, that I was willing to use anyway. The sparring isn't "live" - even if you take into account Dog Brothers ( and years of training ), because you're NOT using an actual weapon. Every "sparring" session you do is with the knowledge that you are using a plastic or dull knife ( or stick ). You KNOW that if you gently caress up you might get a bruise at worst. Even the instructors, however "legit" they are, likely haven't ever been in a real knife-fight or had to defend themselves. Per that video posted it's all "theory", they are doing what they were taught. The only real solution I could think is if you use those Electric knives that simulate being slashed - they had only just come out at the time though and were quite expensive. So sparring devolved into choreography, fun and bad-rear end looking, but it was choreography none-the-less.

It's an interesting thing to think about. It's a valid argument that it's probably not exactly like the real thing. I'd probably not be as brazen in a real knife fight but here's my arguments for doing FMA.

1. The probability of me being in a knife fight to begin with are pretty low so it's mostly just for the enjoyment of it.
2. If I can't talk my way out of it/run away and the "bad guy" is taking no prisoners, It'd be wiser to whip out my own knife than trying to do any sort of empty hand stuff.
3. I do carry around a knife for self defense so I don't feel like I'll have to worry about being without.
4. If the other guy is unarmed and picks a fight with me, having a weapon pretty much categorically gives me a huge advantage.

Could you go more into how your sparring turned into choreography? When I hear that word it sounds like something prearranged and that's not the feeling I get when we start beating each other with sticks.

I don't quite agree with your argument that you need to use an actual weapon for the techniques to be valid. I mean it's not like we're doing wing chun chi sau or push hands with a bunch of rules. We're going full force/speed where any part the body is valid. Maybe I don't get used to the feeling of my skin cut open but I feel like if we're using blades, and I hit my opponent but he doesn't get me, then that means he's hurt/dead and I'm not. I don't feel like need to commit murder/armed assault to prove that.

Anyways, you're free to disagree with me there. I do martial arts for fun first anyway.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am a huge fan of FMA, but I am under no illusions that it is going to be particularly helpful when defending against a sudden knife attack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XiSn81oFw&feature=g-vrec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ah_0gia4A0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E61jnJe_1SI&feature=related

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

entris posted:

I did FMA for several years. I would say that FMA is much more "reality-tested" than Wing Chun. I would agree with some of your points, though. You might be interested in reading these articles.

Yeah true, I suppose at least with FMA there ARE things like Dog Brothers where you can try to use the skills/weapons as you've been tought. Funny about those articles, they are actually part of what made me shift my perspective when I started to be come less enamoured with FMA and I couldn't really put a finger on why. Before reading them I hadn't really thought about things like the legality of stabbing someone in "self-defense", escalation of a situation, how someone would REALLY attack with a knife, etc. It made me consider my own training, why I was doing it and what I was expecting.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011

entris posted:

I am a huge fan of FMA, but I am under no illusions that it is going to be particularly helpful when defending against a sudden knife attack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XiSn81oFw&feature=g-vrec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ah_0gia4A0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E61jnJe_1SI&feature=related

Oh for sure. I've actually seen that first video not so long ago. I agree with it, actually.

Still, in the unlikely event that someone is trying to kill me with a knife and I can't run away, I may as well give it a shot.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I loving hate knives and in however long I've been doing this I always get "cut" someway when working against them. It's just a matter of how bad it's gonna be. I work out with a former officer that was a prison guard and felony arrest officer for 20 something years. He knows how knives work and doesn't do that "Okay, overhead strike, okay, stab, okay, backhand slash." It's just like that first video.

Get out of the way, run, grab and throw poo poo or something. That's about the best defense.

Of course the devil's in the details

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Seabreeze posted:

It's an interesting thing to think about. It's a valid argument that it's probably not exactly like the real thing. I'd probably not be as brazen in a real knife fight but here's my arguments for doing FMA.

1. The probability of me being in a knife fight to begin with are pretty low so it's mostly just for the enjoyment of it.
2. If I can't talk my way out of it/run away and the "bad guy" is taking no prisoners, It'd be wiser to whip out my own knife than trying to do any sort of empty hand stuff.
3. I do carry around a knife for self defense so I don't feel like I'll have to worry about being without.
4. If the other guy is unarmed and picks a fight with me, having a weapon pretty much categorically gives me a huge advantage.

Could you go more into how your sparring turned into choreography? When I hear that word it sounds like something prearranged and that's not the feeling I get when we start beating each other with sticks.

I don't quite agree with your argument that you need to use an actual weapon for the techniques to be valid. I mean it's not like we're doing wing chun chi sau or push hands with a bunch of rules. We're going full force/speed where any part the body is valid. Maybe I don't get used to the feeling of my skin cut open but I feel like if we're using blades, and I hit my opponent but he doesn't get me, then that means he's hurt/dead and I'm not. I don't feel like need to commit murder/armed assault to prove that.

Anyways, you're free to disagree with me there. I do martial arts for fun first anyway.

Have you read these articles? They're interesting, even if you don't agree with the guy, I think he makes some valid points.

http://nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifefighting.html

1. I agree with that, if you're gonna do it do it for fun, no matter what the application of it is. That goes for any martial art, if you're not having fun you're not going to stick with it anyway.

2. The problem is with all of this stuff, it's hypothetical. The world isn't an action movie, if there is a "bad guy" taking no prisoners in such a fashion you are going to get killed if you just casually whip out your knife like you're some sort of grand master.

3/4. To each their own, I personally could/would never carry, I think it's retarded. It instantly escalates a situation from a potential fist fight to you killing someone. Let's say you have your knife you always carry with you and some unarmed guy picks a fight with you. What if your posturing doesn't work and he comes at you anyway ( say drugs, chemical imbalance in the brain)? Are you prepared to kill an unarmed man who was trying to take a swing at you? This starts to get into "goon with a katana" territory pretty quickly. What if he has a gun and pulls it out when you pull out your knife? etc etc.

The sparring turns into choreography because there's not really much choice in my experience. How do you practice the counter-counter-counter-counter-counter moves when every counter you are trying to kill the other person? You can't really. One of you has to start slowing things down or letting something through intentionally. Otherwise the sparring would be limited to maybe 2 or 3 hits deep only. I'm focusing mostly on knives here though, single & double-handed. With Arnis/Escrima true, it is much easier to practice I think because if you wear a helmet you can still get the same techniques done.

As for my "actual weapon" argument. My point is that you know you aren't going to be actually cut or stabbed.

quote:

Maybe I don't get used to the feeling of my skin cut open but I feel like if we're using blades, and I hit my opponent but he doesn't get me, then that means he's hurt/dead and I'm not. I don't feel like need to commit murder/armed assault to prove that.

That is exactly my point though. You have no reason to fear being hit. You can't "feel like you're using a blade" if you are not actually using a blade. You are using a piece of plastic that cannot do more than give you a bruise. You don't have to try as hard to get out of the way. If it was a real knife, and someone was really trying to stab you, I think the reaction would be a lot different.

Things like this though, this theorycrafting, fantasy scenarios, are all reasons why I stopped. You can practice and practice all you want but unless you can actually turn all of your theory into something, you never really know what will happen.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 22, 2012

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011

TollTheHounds posted:

Have you read these articles? They're interesting, even if you don't agree with the guy, I think he makes some valid points.

http://nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifefighting.html

1. I agree with that, if you're gonna do it do it for fun, no matter what the application of it is. That goes for any martial art, if you're not having fun you're not going to stick with it anyway.

2. The problem is with all of this stuff, it's hypothetical. The world isn't an action movie, if there is a "bad guy" taking no prisoners

3/4. To each their own, I personally could/would never carry, I think it's retarded. It instantly escalates a situation from a potential fist fight to you killing someone. Let's say you have your knife you always carry with you and some unarmed guy picks a fight with you. What if your posturing doesn't work and he comes at you anyway ( say drugs, chemical imbalance in the brain)? Are you prepared to kill an unarmed man who was trying to take a swing at you? This starts to get into "goon with a katana" territory pretty quickly. What if he has a gun and pulls it out when you pull out your knife? etc etc.

I did just read through a few things on that site and it did change my views on things. I would definitely retract my arguement 4.

Still if we're talking about someone who's intent on killing you? I'd rather have something on me than nothing.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Seabreeze posted:

I did just read through a few things on that site and it did change my views on things. I would definitely retract my arguement 4.

Still if we're talking about someone who's intent on killing you? I'd rather have something on me than nothing.

If I was going to keep any weapon on me, for self-defense purposes against someone who might be intent on killing me, and I lived in a place/world/scenario where there was a very real potential of being in a situation where I needed to use it, it wouldn't be a knife. A knife is a terrible weapon to use because there is no range whatsoever. You're better off keeping a sword, machete, gun, baseball bat, stick, anything really, on hand.

I don't really like the idea of having to have a weapon all the time though. If I am going to learn something for self-defense it is going to be a skill/art that you can do empty-handed, because you ALWAYS have your hands with you. You don't have to pull them out of a sheath, you don't have to remove the safety and you don't escalate a situation just by having them on display.

I think there is value in purely defensive weapons training. How to disarm and/or de-escalate a situation.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 22, 2012

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011

TollTheHounds posted:

If I was going to keep any weapon on me, for self-defense purposes against someone who might be intent on killing me, and I lived in a place/world/scenario where there was a very real potential of being in a situation where I needed to use it, it wouldn't be a knife. A knife is a terrible weapon to use because there is no range whatsoever. You're better off keeping a sword, machete, gun, baseball bat, stick, anything really, on hand.

I don't really like the idea of having to have a weapon all the time though. If I am going to learn something for self-defense it is going to be a skill/art that you can do empty-handed, because you ALWAYS have your hands with you. You don't have to pull them out of a sheath, you don't have to remove the safety and you don't escalate a situation just by having them on display.

I think there is value in purely defensive weapons training. How to disarm and/or de-escalate a situation.

Fair enough.

And for the record, I fully admit to the theorycraft comment. Again, I do this for fun like most people do and I'm just debating about this here.

edit: holy christ I just noticed. 198 pages? I didn't know there were that many violent goons.

Seabreeze fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 22, 2012

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Seabreeze posted:

Fair enough.

And for the record, I fully admit to the theorycraft comment. Again, I do this for fun like most people do and I'm just debating about this here.

edit: holy christ I just noticed. 198 pages? I didn't know there were that many violent goons.

Yeah for sure, I'm not trying to poo poo on you for learning FMA. I think they're fun and it looks/feels like you're in some sort of kung-fu/martial arts movie even when you're just doing basic practice. There are some legitimate non-lethal applications like grip breaking, effective wrist/arm locks and the like too. I was just explaining my particular issues with it and why I stopped, if you enjoy it that's all that matters.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Seabreeze posted:

Oh for sure. I've actually seen that first video not so long ago. I agree with it, actually.

Still, in the unlikely event that someone is trying to kill me with a knife and I can't run away, I may as well give it a shot.

This is such a dangerous mindset to be in. I've seen it backfire on some really otherwise smart and good people.

In related news, if you want to use FMA and know it's legit and will help you in a real world situation, go learn it in the Philippines. If you can say it's not effective for a real world scenario then you're doing it wrong. The Philippines have a long and recent history of civil unrest and violence in their daily lives and that mentality seeps into their art. As for practical weapon systems, FMA is the first and last word in knife combat imo. It's very serious.

At the end of the day though, your best practical day to day way to survive is to not be in dangerous situations. Not to say that I don't totally see where someone is coming from when they say 'I do such and such, just in case' but it's not a good idea to let the idea rest in your head that it might be okay to knife fight somebody. At this point in time, in my part of the world at least, you can effectively avoid all danger with just a small small amount of awareness and the willingness to disengage. So don't get stabbed please.

Novum fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 23, 2012

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I did FMA for a few years and I gained the following skills/learned the following things:
1. People get twitchy when you do a rotunda demonstration near them.
2. Left hand dexterity greatly improved, can switch between southpaw and standard now and it ain't no thang.
3. Sticks loving hurt.
4. I can beat the everliving poo poo out of Amtgard kids at their own game.

That's about it. I quit because everything we did was pretty much becoming choreographed and all the other students were so clumsy we were still doing the same poo poo a year later as when I first started. I picked it up and surpassed the rest of the class within a few months. Not to be :smug: which I sure I am sounding, I'm just saying that they were really, really, bad at it. Like curiously terrible. I think one other guy managed to get the footwork down to a workable thing in the 2 years I was there. Although the teacher did show me some 'aggressive' knife fighting at one point, different from the self-defense stuff we had been focusing on the entire time. That was different, and fun.

As far as the knife-self-defense talk, I think it is possible to effectively defend against an attacker with a knife if he is a dumbass and just trying to scare you. Not that I would recommend trying even that. Every situation is unique but a general rule of thumb in my book is to just stay the gently caress away from sharp things.

Story time: Once this disproportionately arrogant TKD black belt attended my traditional JJ class and said this guy pulled a knife on him - he said to the guy, "do you have another knife?" to which he replied, "I don't have one for you," at which point he grabbed the dude's arm and made him stab himself. I don't really don't know what to say about that; I'm just sharing. Later we grappled and he made everything awkward when he furiously refused to tap out to my calm, sloppy mounted guillotine to which he had absolutely no defense aside from squirming and grunting. I was still a newbie and we weren't even technically learning BJJ at that point, so he was in pain, refusing to tap, for a couple of minutes at least. It started to feel like the Milgram experiments after a while.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

All those knife vids should go into the OP.

TollTheHounds posted:

The sparring isn't "live" - even if you take into account Dog Brothers ( and years of training ), because you're NOT using an actual weapon. Every "sparring" session you do is with the knowledge that you are using a plastic or dull knife ( or stick ). You KNOW that if you gently caress up you might get a bruise at worst.

Dog Brothers gatherings are quite live. Yeah, everyone is using a stick, but there's a lot of split skulls under the fencing masks and cracked knuckles. In one match, a guy using a bokken pokes the other guy advancing and breaks a rib.

I think the DB advocate that the stick/blunt domain of fighting is worth teaching and developing, independently of bladed techniques. And while some injuries do happen, there's certainly plenty of real application going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

kimbo305 posted:

Dog Brothers gatherings are quite live. Yeah, everyone is using a stick, but there's a lot of split skulls under the fencing masks and cracked knuckles. In one match, a guy using a bokken pokes the other guy advancing and breaks a rib.

The head instructor/owner of the gym I train at is a Dog Brother, I haven't seen him fight in person but from what I hear it is pretty intense yea. Apparently he had a fight in the last gathering where he kneed the other guy who was blocking it with his forearm and managed to break his forearm. The FMA classes at the gym look fun but I think I'm more than happy to just stick with MT and BJJ.

• Locked thread