Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
There was a lot of hate in my young heart for Mighty Bomb Jack from all the frustration it caused me. Maybe I would have had a chance at finishing it if I knew the 1-up loop :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

Joctan posted:

So, what game do you consider super hard than arino has beaten?

Spoiler for an episode yet to be subtitled: Battletoads.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Pretty much any of those games can be beaten by just chucking yourself at it. Keep in mind for Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, they gave Arino a very relaxed schedule to beat them.

I will say this though, even though I think he's a pretty horrible gamer, that man has the patience of a Sage and a level of will power I can't even being to comprehend.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, Ninja Gaiden really isn't that bad given that it controls well and you can beat it through sheer attrition.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Binary Land actually looked monstrously difficult to me. He breezed through that in no time at all. Probably because his mind was fixated on the 'midbosses'.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It honestly doesn't seem that difficult. The levels repeat often and once you get used to the controls, it's probably not that bad. Even the AD who never played it before cleared his level on his second try.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Corridor posted:

Binary Land actually looked monstrously difficult to me. He breezed through that in no time at all. Probably because his mind was fixated on the 'midbosses'.

What really made it a breeze was when Arino figured out the trick to getting the invincibility item every time, at that point he could just rush straight to the goal.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I thought I'd make a crosspost about speedrunning since the game involved is very famous in the GCCX community, the game being Adventure Island. It was recently run in a speedrunning marathon(for charity) overseas in Europe and I saw it mentioned in the SA speedrunning thread so I thought some might be interested.

I had personally never seen the game speedrun before and odds are you haven't either but if you have about 50 minutes why not sit back and see someone absolutely destroy an impossibly tough game notorious for beating down even really good gamers, humiliating Arino, and causing Urakawa to drat near kill himself beating it.

This is nearly flawless play on a ridiculously difficult game. He wastes almost no shots, his jumps are amazing and his memorization shows the amount of time he put in practicing this game. Considering the memories I have of this game personally and of the episode, it's a pretty jaw-dropping run.

http://www.twitch.tv/ludendi/b/329020944 - the run starts at around 16:30, game gets super hard and he starts dominating at around 16:50

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 21, 2012

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The only thing I disliked about the SMW episode was how many stages he never played. Time restraints :argh:

And yeah, he was horrible against Bowser but come on, the way it all ended was totally worth it. And aside from that one stage he breezed through Bowser's Valley which I remember caused me a fair amount of trouble.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Joctan posted:

So, what game do you consider super hard than arino has beaten?

For me solomonīs key is impossible, yet he manages to clear it, and in the second season!

Kirby's Adventure and Mega Man 2 are the only games he's challenged that I've been able to beat. :(

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

makere posted:

Ninja Gaiden and Ghost n Goblins.
Well, he technically never really beat Ghost'n Goblins. Plenty of people have gotten as far as he did, but they usually give up when they find out they have to beat it a second time on a higher difficulty to really get the ending (Myself included, gently caress that).

I was pretty disappointed that he didn't do the star road in SMW too, I have horrible memories of Tubular as a kid. It did have a good ending though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

I thought I'd make a crosspost about speedrunning since the game involved is very famous in the GCCX community, the game being Adventure Island. It was recently run in a speedrunning marathon(for charity) overseas in Europe and I saw it mentioned in the SA speedrunning thread so I thought some might be interested.

I had personally never seen the game speedrun before and odds are you haven't either but if you have about 50 minutes why not sit back and see someone absolutely destroy an impossibly tough game notorious for beating down even really good gamers, humiliating Arino, and causing Urakawa to drat near kill himself beating it.

This is nearly flawless play on a ridiculously difficult game. He wastes almost no shots, his jumps are amazing and his memorization shows the amount of time he put in practicing this game. Considering the memories I have of this game personally and of the episode, it's a pretty jaw-dropping run.

http://www.twitch.tv/ludendi/b/329020944 - the run starts at around 16:30, game gets super hard and he starts dominating at around 16:50

So this isn't tool-assisted then, he's actually playing it?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Stefan Prodan posted:

So this isn't tool-assisted then, he's actually playing it?

Yes, that is a recording of him playing the game in person for a charity event.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the Binary Land episode, and I have to say it was a great feel-good episode. The mid-bosses were a great idea and completely made the episode.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone interested in what a live, US version of GCCX would be like might want to check out these two videos from the recent Evo fighting game event, where one of the competitors plays I Wanna Be The Guy Gaiden, the sequel to one of the most purposely unfair games in history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixgagswag8M - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bsCiM49e8o - Part 2

Warning - All together these videos are around three hours long. Gameplay starts at around 14 mins in the first one.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 22, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That's a pretty good watch and it's awesome to see the creator interactively trolling Floe.

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

I was glad to hear the speedrunner say that the part I finally gave up on (Area 8-2) was one of the hardest parts of the entire game.

Myrmeleo
Jan 27, 2010

If only I had Earth Power...
I want to say thanks to you all for subbing these episodes. They're amazing. And you do such a good job with it too.

Lately, I've been looking at Famicom History, so I have to wonder if there's a website or something that offers a complete collection of Famicom carts with their artwork and such.

I've been so fascinated with the history lately that I've even considered buying some of the stuff even! Like FDS disks... etc etc.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Myrmeleo posted:

Lately, I've been looking at Famicom History, so I have to wonder if there's a website or something that offers a complete collection of Famicom carts with their artwork and such.

Have you watched Chrontendo? It's a video series where one guy plays and documents every Famicom and FDS game, in the chronological order they were released in. So far he's covered over 600 games in 40-odd hours, and because it goes chronologically, he starts to paint a real picture of how the Famicom industry evolved, which minor games influenced major titles further down the line, and how games pigeonholed themselves into clearly-defined genres.

The first episode (and every episode) can be streamed from Archive.org if you want to give it a try :

http://archive.org/details/Chrontendo_Vol_1

It's also worth mentioning Game Over, on the off-chance that there's anyone in this thread who hasn't read it yet. It focuses mostly on Nintendo Of America, and most of the interesting stories in it have been re-told in other books, but it's still The Bible of Famicom history.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Tyma posted:

Have you watched Chrontendo? It's a video series where one guy plays and documents every Famicom and FDS game, in the chronological order they were released in. So far he's covered over 600 games in 40-odd hours, and because it goes chronologically, he starts to paint a real picture of how the Famicom industry evolved, which minor games influenced major titles further down the line, and how games pigeonholed themselves into clearly-defined genres.

This sounds rad as hell. Thanks for the heads-up.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Dizzybone posted:

I was glad to hear the speedrunner say that the part I finally gave up on (Area 8-2) was one of the hardest parts of the entire game.

I can't believe how he played some of that, it was absurd. Even dying and losing his weapon he made it through a crazy hard part of the game. Probably one of the more skillful speedruns I've ever seen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tyma posted:

It's also worth mentioning Game Over, on the off-chance that there's anyone in this thread who hasn't read it yet. It focuses mostly on Nintendo Of America, and most of the interesting stories in it have been re-told in other books, but it's still The Bible of Famicom history.

I got that in the mail two days ago and I haven't had a chance to start reading it yet.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I was watching Shadow Lands again and noticed that my Season 5 folder was woefully small until I saw the reasons why. Amazingly enough, though, there are only 4 episodes in the first 9 seasons of GCCX that have not been translated by our own team, "translated" by TV Nihon, or defiled by KOTAK. One episode, Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, is currently being worked on by a class of students learning Japanese and if I remember right, still a go per what zari-gani said awhile back. The other 3 are Ghouls n' Ghosts, Super GnG, and Mendal Palace.

It's crazy to think that we're so close to have the first 9 seasons totally subbed and know that we're in line to see a lot more of the most recent episodes.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
I had a friend visit yesterday and after going on to her about the show, we ended up watching the Bomberman special and she seemed to enjoy it a lot. I'd forgotten though that one of her favorite games is Adventure Island and that episode's great. heh

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
That's what I've found when I wanted to get my friends into the show: find them a game that they'll connect with, not necessarily the "best" episodes. One of my friends was really into the quirky, never-heard-of-it Japanese titles. The one he really liked was Wagan Land. He also like Dynamite Headdy (even though it had a NA release). Another one of my friends was nonplussed by stuff like that, but was really into the Street Fighter II episode. He used to play SF competitively back in the day, and the character he'd dedicated himself to: Dhalsim.

Another one of my buds I've only mentioned the show to in passing, but lately has been obsessed with Super Mario 2. The US version. He was a Sega fanboy back in the day, so never played a lot of the classic NES/SNES titles. Considering Arino has challenged pretty much every retro SMB game (as well as Doki Doki Panic), maybe that's a place to get him addicted introduced to the show.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Another one of my friends was nonplussed by stuff like that, but was really into the Street Fighter II episode. He used to play SF competitively back in the day, and the character he'd dedicated himself to: Dhalsim.

That seems really weird to me. I know a bunch of guys who are hardcore fighting gamers, but SFII is the last episode I would pick to get them hooked. Watching someone play a fighting game badly would probably cause them actual physical pain.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Nipponophile posted:

I know a bunch of guys who are hardcore fighting gamers, but SFII is the last episode I would pick to get them hooked. Watching someone play a fighting game badly would probably cause them actual physical pain.

Knowing how to play Street Fighter "properly" actually made that episode more entertaining for me, not less.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
I totally understand: that's how I felt with Arino's struggles with SMW. But with regards to SFII, my friend approved of the Yoga Fire cheapness! Haha. He did wish that Arino would throw a low fierce after a Yoga Fire, but gave him a pass because he wasn't a fighting game player, clearly. Plus, SFII was during an era when fighting games were much more accessible. Normal arcade goers had had a shot at not being totally humiliated for their 25 cents, not like the fighting games of today. You sit Arino in front of MVC3 or something, he would last as long as it took his opponent to hit him once.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
SMW was the only episode I had issues watching having played it religiously when the SNES came out. It kept hoping he would learn how to use the spin jump, he was missing all the switches, I was curious to see what he would do if he found Star Road; it was driving me crazy.

If the Legend of Zelda episode was stretched out over two episodes, I would probably have had the same reaction. To each their own, I suppose.

Edit: I do enjoy watching him play games I was awful at or to see how he handles harder places in games I used to struggle with. It's kind of weird that I was frustrated with him playing SMW when I think about it.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 23, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Mayor McCheese posted:

SMW was the only episode I had issues watching having played it religiously when the SNES came out. It kept hoping he would learn how to use the spin jump, he was missing all the switches, I was curious to see what he would do if he found Star Road; it was driving me crazy.

If the Legend of Zelda episode was stretched out over two episodes, I would probably have had the same reaction. To each their own, I suppose.

Edit: I do enjoy watching him play games I was awful at or to see how he handles harder places in games I used to struggle with. It's kind of weird that I was frustrated with him playing SMW when I think about it.

They should have challenged him to get all exits. It would have taken way longer, but I was curious how he would have handled some of the special levels.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I felt bad that they made him grind for lives using the shell and bullet bills, instead of the stage where turn all the enemies into silver coins and you can rack up 99 lives in a minute or two.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

xamphear posted:

I felt bad that they made him grind for lives using the shell and bullet bills, instead of the stage where turn all the enemies into silver coins and you can rack up 99 lives in a minute or two.

I tried that bullet shell bit to see how it worked and it was a huge pain just to get there with my cape intact. :argh:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I surprised they didn't tell him about the one in the second castle where you just hang on the vine and let the dry bones reassemble into your feet forever.

Also, I finally watched Paris-Dakar Rally and what the gently caress was that game how does it exist

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

xamphear posted:

Or the Forest of Illusion level where you can bounce on three caterpillars indefinitely and it breaks the scoring.

Or any level where you can get a bunch of lives in a matter of seconds, exit out, and repeat. (Arino never did seem to learn that he could just go back a level for a quick power up.)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I wonder if they were worried that the game would be too easy, and that if he knew the tricks, he'd breeze through it...

How wrong they were.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Or the Forest of Illusion level where you can bounce on three caterpillars indefinitely and it breaks the scoring.

Or any level where you can get a bunch of lives in a matter of seconds, exit out, and repeat. (Arino never did seem to learn that he could just go back a level for a quick power up.)

They never told him about top secret area :(

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just catching up with some of the episodes I haven't got around to watching yet and am on the Pilotwings episode.

During the Gameboy segment they showed off Street Fighter II, has anyone played it? It honestly looks like a terrible port, it's a wonder they even bothered trying to cram it onto that hardware. I wonder how many kids bought that after playing the arcade or a console version and regretted it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Xik posted:

I'm just catching up with some of the episodes I haven't got around to watching yet and am on the Pilotwings episode.

During the Gameboy segment they showed off Street Fighter II, has anyone played it? It honestly looks like a terrible port, it's a wonder they even bothered trying to cram it onto that hardware. I wonder how many kids bought that after playing the arcade or a console version and regretted it.

Who cares, a sale is a sale. Even better if they didnt spend much money porting it, that means profit margins are higher.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It wasnt very good...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMG3GuvK2QQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Aside from the Neo Geo Pocket stuff, I can't think of a single handheld fighting game port from before the PSP/DS generation that wasn't complete garbage.