Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I'm a single, female grad student. I live alone with a cat. I have no car because I live in crunchy granola-ville, and because I can't drive.

Why yes, I *am* a stereotype.

Did I mention I knit as a hobby, and spent last night drinking tea and watching Downton Abbey while my cat repeatedly murdered a shoelace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

According to your pics in the cosplay thread, their eyes are broken. You look super young to me. :psyduck:

Yeah, it's weird. I've always thought I looked just about right for my age. Sometimes I get guesses way under my age, and the rest of the time way over.

Not too long ago someone mistook me for my stepson's girlfriend :gonk: And yet within the same day I didn't get carded because the cashier thought I was "obviously over 35."

Speaking of stepkid, he and Nibbler were doing adorable synchronized napping earlier. Same body position, woke up and yawned together, everything. I told them both they make me sick with their cuteness.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I'm 25 and apparently look about 17-19 according to everyone. The most difficult thing for me with everything though is fitting in with terrifying racist, sexist, tea-partier old white white men enough that they will talk to me about pit bulls. They aren't really used to ~girls~ being involved in the breed period, and I currently live in the suburbs, which doesn't help. I have to dress way down and make sure I look really normal, and then talk REAL country (which isn't hard, I DID grow up here, I just never really got the accent) and there's still a lot of standoffishness and I have to be very persistent to get my foot in the door with anyone enough that we can have dogchat. It was a lot easier when I was A Military Wife and they at least had a context for me, but now I get a whole lot of weird stares and "lol what"'s at first. It doesn't help that my dog is bred a little differently than most of the local dogs (I got him in Kentucky) so there's some snobbery there because they tend to only like what they and their buddies have bred.

It's a giant uphill battle to like a breed owned primarily by people who live in an entirely different universe than you and ~don't particularly like yer kind around here.~ Lot's of dancing around the politIcal issues they try to inject into every conversation and "OH YEAH MY FIANCE. HE'S A MAN. A BIG STRONG MAN. I LOVE MEN AND MY FIANCE IS A MAN."

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I'm married, have a five year old, and own two cats, four snakes, a savanna monitor and three leopard geckos. What does that put me? Closet lesbian satan worshiper?

Or terrible mother whose "BABY IS GONNA BE EATEN BY THAT SNAKE, HOW CAN YOU KEEP THAT THING IN YOUR HOUSE"? according to my father in law.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
The biggest thing I've noticed when walking my GSD (me being a pretty small woman) is that men assume I got him for protection, while women don't assume I got him for any specific purpose (or if they run across us while we're working, they assume I got him for SAR). I have literally never had a woman ask if I got him to keep me safe, and to be fair most men don't either, but a noticeable amount do. Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems a bit creepy honestly. I usually tell them that I bought my gun for protection, I got my dog to be my buddy. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Lola just started screaming and trying to attack a moth because I was trying to get it out of the house. She was jumping at the wall and barking and shrieking at it :downs:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I am a man in my thirties who usually gets stuck walking the Chihuahua because the tougher dogs listen to my wife better.

:smith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Lola just started screaming and trying to attack a moth because I was trying to get it out of the house. She was jumping at the wall and barking and shrieking at it :downs:

Ugh, we had a moth get in last night. Ires saw it. She dove across the floor staring at it and ran chest first into the drat wall.

She's gettin' bigger than I thought, too. And I got a coupler after that for those two.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

2tomorrow posted:

The biggest thing I've noticed when walking my GSD (me being a pretty small woman) is that men assume I got him for protection, while women don't assume I got him for any specific purpose (or if they run across us while we're working, they assume I got him for SAR). I have literally never had a woman ask if I got him to keep me safe, and to be fair most men don't either, but a noticeable amount do. Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems a bit creepy honestly. I usually tell them that I bought my gun for protection, I got my dog to be my buddy. :3:

Never hurts to have both, right? :3

When I tell guys about my "dude dog" they ask me :downs: why didn't you get a woman's dog :downs:. Maybe because gently caress you.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

This big scary manly dog belongs to my ~80 year old neighbors.

One of his owners has Parkinson's and so sometimes he hitches the dog to his three-wheeled old person bike for walks and it is completely adorable :3:

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I'm a straight female whale who has five ferrets, 2 rats and 2 cats. Uhh, I don't know. Am I secretly a dickgirl? :saddowns:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
25 year old white woman with 3 cats and an entire thread (+ facebook album) with pictures of my cats that tops 400+ individual shots. I am going to die alone.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

ladyweapon posted:

25 year old white woman with 3 cats and an entire thread (+ facebook album) with pictures of my cats that tops 400+ individual shots. I am going to die alone.

19 year old white girl with two dogs and around 2000 Facebook photos. Plus on my second album of mice photos. Plus I have around 200 photos of my friends' pets on fb. Check and mate :smug:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I just hit 3000 photos of my two cats, one of whom has her own G+ page.

I may die alone, but at least I'll always have cats :unsmith:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Radio! posted:

I just hit 3000 photos of my two cats, one of whom has her own G+ page.

I may die alone, but at least I'll always have cats :unsmith:

They'll eat you. If you die alone with cats, I mean.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Right after I put my phone down after checking this thread, I see a dude go by with a dog in a stroller. It wasn't a toy dog, either, it was a bit bigger than a beagle. But it was partially standing, with its back paws on the seat and its front paws on the footrest, looking like it was going to jump off. Guy just walked by again with it. Dog looks okay with the arrangement.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

CompactFanny posted:

I'm a straight female whale who has five ferrets, 2 rats and 2 cats. Uhh, I don't know. Am I secretly a dickgirl? :saddowns:

:hf:

Three ferrets and a cat. By all accounts, I should be smelly, obsessed with anime, and painfully single. Wanna come over and watch Sailor Moon OMG KAWAIII DESU~~~

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, that spawned an interesting discussion!

The funny thing is that I just naturally like things that defy gender expectations and always find myself attracted to androgyny and all that exists in the world of overlapping and backasswards gender roles. Or something like that. So I expect to see normal woman with big scary dogs and masculine men with cute kitty cats, it's innately appealing to me. It's almost disappointing to me that I'm a slim, androgynous, sensitive twenty-something gay man living alone with my cat because that's so... predictable!

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Well get a huge beefy bully mix, obviously! :)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

When I walk my dogs people don't even look at me, never mind judge me for having two GSDs. They are literally staring at the dogs and complimenting them. Not even kidding.

I also have a cat and a piranha and a betta and some tetras :3: I used to have a budgie and rats. I have never owned a pony :(

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 23, 2012

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Two cats only, which I guess is pretty standard, but grew up with a German Shepherd and if I got a dog it would be another larger breed. I have an inexplicable dislike of small dogs which is a shame since my husband loves them. He also loves our kittens and has been spotted cooing "who is a fatty, who is a tub!" at them on rare occasions.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
The whole bunny boiling thing can be kinda awkward to explain..

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

notsoape posted:

The whole bunny boiling thing can be kinda awkward to explain..

"You breed...the rats...to feed to the dogs? You feed rats to your dogs? That you breed? In your house?"

"yeah"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Superconsndar posted:

"You breed...the rats...to feed to the dogs? You feed rats to your dogs? That you breed? In your house?"

"yeah"

"Yeah...I found it wasn't as economical to breed dogs to feed to rats."

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Bad Munki posted:

"Yeah...I found it wasn't as economical to breed dogs to feed to rats."

BYB apple head teacup chiwowiepoos and feed the runts to the alpha dawgs. Cut out the middle man!

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Jossos posted:

BYB apple head teacup chiwowiepoos and feed the runts to the alpha dawgs. Cut out the middle man!
I'd rather hold a handful of dead pinkies than a single live teacup dog

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
I also look fairly boring, so people don't expect me to be ~ratwoman~ and have rats crawling around in my hair all the time, like its not normal or something. :colbert:

Also, having rats used to instantly label me as being eccentric.

2tomorrow posted:

I'm also pretty small and have people ask me if I got my dog for protection, female or male. He looks like a dingo, and in my opinion he looks pretty harmless, but almost every time I walk him, people cross the street in fear. I wonder sometimes if they are assuming I did get him for protection, and therefore he is aggressive?

Also, macho teenagers will nod their heads slightly and say, "nice dog," when I pass, trying to be cool.

When my fiance and I walk the dogs, I usually walk the big one because he listens to me better, and my fiance walks the tiny retarded one. He's actually been reprimanded for "making" me walk the big dog. So many gender stereotypes are stupid, and its funny that they can extend to the type of pets people own.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

kaworu posted:

Well, that spawned an interesting discussion!

The funny thing is that I just naturally like things that defy gender expectations and always find myself attracted to androgyny and all that exists in the world of overlapping and backasswards gender roles. Or something like that. So I expect to see normal woman with big scary dogs and masculine men with cute kitty cats, it's innately appealing to me. It's almost disappointing to me that I'm a slim, androgynous, sensitive twenty-something gay man living alone with my cat because that's so... predictable!

You should get a big fat cock like mine, that will be a good conversation starter!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

It can be annoying when I'm out with my chihuahuas. Especially if I'm holding or carrying one, because then people assume they never touch the ground.

I'm 28, female, look maybe 20. I'm about 5'2". Normal weight. People likely think I'm one of those bimbo girls who wants purse dogs!

Little do they know, my dogs are treated mostly like normal dogs. People who meet my smaller one are always "OMG I NEVER LIKED CHIHUAHUAS, BUT HE IS SO AWESOME!" I also have a bunch of snakes, a few dozen geckos, a couple tarantulas, chickens, and rodents.

I also work as a groomer and often have to restrain dogs to keep them from biting me. My female boss who is about the same size as me lift huge dogs together all the time, including some Irish wolfhounds. There has only been one dog since I've been working with her we absolutely could not groom (surprise surprise, it wasn't a large dog!)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I was going to post these in the yappy rat thread, but I want to share them here because Ned is ~*The Best~*

I took some pictures of him in his new collar mania collars.

:supaburn: OMG A FLY :supaburn:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm a 5'1" 23-year-old who has been confused for an 11- or 12-year-old by at least two people, and I own a big, black GSD mix. No one has ever asked why I got him or why I'm the one walking him when out with my boyfriend. You guys live around some nosy people. The most questions I get are "Aw what's his name?" or "Can I pet your dog?"

Except that one guy who asked if Shadow was a purebred GSD (lolwut) that I'm pretty certain wanted to see if he could breed him to his white GSD (who also has floppy ears). :downs:

On an unrelated note, one of my daycare dogs' owner uses a choke chain and a flexi leash on her. It's like she just say down one day and thought, "Hmmm, what's one of the worst restraint combinations I can think of to use on my dog..."

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Greycious posted:

I was going to post these in the yappy rat thread, but I want to share them here because Ned is ~*The Best~*

Ned really is the best :neckbeard: I love his collars too. Collarmania is so awesome. I need to not look at their website ever because they always have sales and there are way too many fabrics to choose from. I just donated 4 of Major's collars to a rescue, I don't need anymore.

I'm corgi-sitting for my parents this week, since two dozen animals are clearly not enough. I was putting her in her crate for bed when Major got so excited about the lovely milkbones that my parents left for her that he crawled into her crate instead of just waiting on his mat like I told him to. He is 28" at the shoulder and ~40" long and he somehow wedged himself through a 17" door into a 20" long crate. I wasn't sure he was going to be able to get out again and I was too busy laughing to grab my camera. He got that milkbone though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

You guys make me feel bad that Husker only had one plain gray collar for the first three years, and then that one got swapped out for an only slightly fancier one this spring. He needs all the collars :smith:

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Skizzles posted:

On an unrelated note, one of my daycare dogs' owner uses a choke chain and a flexi leash on her. It's like she just say down one day and thought, "Hmmm, what's one of the worst restraint combinations I can think of to use on my dog..."

One of my daycare dogs has this setup too, except with a prong. :downs:

I just don't get it.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Ned really is the best :neckbeard: I love his collars too. Collarmania is so awesome. I need to not look at their website ever because they always have sales and there are way too many fabrics to choose from. I just donated 4 of Major's collars to a rescue, I don't need anymore.

Yeah, Ned didn't need anymore, but it his 'birthday' ( took him home from the shelter day) and the collars were demo/sale collars, and she also had that 25% off sale, so I couldn't resist!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

One of my daycare dogs has this setup too, except with a prong. :downs:

I just don't get it.

:downs: : "Well what if he wants to walk a little bit ahead of me? That's okay! *yanks leash*"

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Greycious posted:

It can be annoying when I'm out with my chihuahuas. Especially if I'm holding or carrying one, because then people assume they never touch the ground.

This.

Except I'm old, so folks think I'm a crazy old chihuahua bitch when I'm out with my two and that of course they're my babies! I just love the stereotyping, especially when some other old lady (or even worse, an old couple) comes up to me, thinking we're sympatico, and starts telling me all about her little darlings at home who eat at the table and get strolled around the neighborhood in their special little doggie strollers so they don't have to walk on that hot (or cold, or bumpy or whatever) ole' pavement. And what kind of stroller do *I* use? Ugh.

The only reason I'm carrying my dogs, lady, is because that stupid woman over there won't restrain her big untrained mutt who's been trying to eat mine the entire time I've been in the store, and who thinks it's "cute" this her big dog "just wants to play" when it's crystal clear from his body language that "play" is the LAST thing her dog has in mind!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Oh hey the person who wanted to hand raise mice posted again!

quote:

so I diecided not to hand raise because they would just not take to the formula and i did not want them to die cause they have gorgeus colors. I love them lol there colors are amazing.

:downs: :downs: :downs:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Good old Massachusetts just passed a law banning breed-specific legislation statewide, so of course our local neocon tabloid went off the rails about it, Nancy Grace style. But...is it just me? Or does the omgvicious pit bull plastered across the front page of thousands of papers statewide look more like a Staff than an APBT? I'm not quite the pibble nerd that other posters are but that face looks pretty Staff-y to me.

Either way, Menino going all :qq: is always good for a laugh.

vvv He's also been bathing in self-tanner lately, it makes him even more clownish.

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

demozthenes posted:

Good old Massachusetts just passed a law banning breed-specific legislation statewide, so of course our local neocon tabloid went off the rails about it, Nancy Grace style. But...is it just me? Or does the omgvicious pit bull plastered across the front page of thousands of papers statewide look more like a Staff than an APBT? I'm not quite the pibble nerd that other posters are but that face looks pretty Staff-y to me.

Either way, Menino going all :qq: is always good for a laugh.

Menino is such a whiny bitch when things don't go his way and overall, this piece of legislation is all around pretty good.

• Locked thread