Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Does Jason takes Manhattan count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Below is a sort of psychological horror/ghost story set totally onboard a US submarine during WW2. Plus it has Olivia Williams in it and she's hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk57TzUtP88

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Below is great. It used to be on Netflix Instant.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Actually, request, can you post all the horror films you can think of that revolves around being out on/in the ocean?

The Reef ain't too bad.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Leviathan is sorta like Alien underwater, and it's on streaming. It was better than I remembered during a recent rewatch.

Deepstar Six is like... Jaws 3 starring Giant Enemy Crab.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Zachack posted:

Leviathan is sorta like Alien underwater, and it's on streaming. It was better than I remembered during a recent rewatch.

Deepstar Six is like... Jaws 3 starring Giant Enemy Crab.

Oh man, Leviathan... I remember being so freaked out by that movie as a kid. Way too much body horror for my tiny brain to process.
---
Wanted to give my thanks to Hundu for the Black Sabbath recommend. What a beautifully shot, fun movie.
---
Anyone see The Boneyard before? It looks like one of those 80's/90's carnival ride horror movies; hell, Phyllis loving Diller is in it and plays a character whose name is a poo poo joke, which only strengthens my belief that it will be a fun, though not necessarily good, movie. Opinions?

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 22, 2012

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
My dad got us Leviathan to watch when we were kids and he was really excited for us to watch it. I'm not sure if here remember it correctly beforehand.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
Ocean Horror:

Dead Calm is a really great 90s thriller with Billy Zane, Nicole Kidman and Sam Neil, if we're casting a wider net (puns, lol) than just horror.

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

Ineffiable posted:

Actually, request, can you post all the horror films you can think of that revolves around being out on/in the ocean?

The Watermen. Warning: It is rubbish.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

For the "Ocean Horror" category I'm going to second Below, The Reef, Dead Calm and Triangle. Heads up about the last one, I remember it looking really low budget and uninteresting but the story is so drat good you'll be glad when you finished it. Like there's nothing interesting at all to look at when they're on the ship, just the events that play out on it.

faustcf
Jun 1, 2004

My beard! I broke my playoff beard!!
Ocean Horror:

Creatures from the Abyss

quote:

Five teenagers embark on a boating trip off the coast of Florida. The teens get hopelessly lost at sea after they get caught in a fierce storm. Fortunately, the quintet stumble across an abandoned yacht in the middle of the ocean with a mysterious biology lab on board it. Unfortunately, there are also ferocious mutated prehistoric fish running amok on the yacht. Will any of the teens survive this harrowing ordeal?

I wouldn't recommend watching it though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh, wow...horror movies involving the ocean?

How about Death Ship! A cruise liner crashes into a derelict ship...that turns out to have been a floating concentration camp for the SS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ2zVFW8ixQ

Or...Uninvited! It was a lovely cruise on a yacht for these teens...until a genetically modified cat showed up to crash the party!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKPkf9dJKw

You want more? How about Peter Cushing in Shock Waves! Genetically modified Nazi zombies off the coast of Flordia!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUemv6hW2S8

Hey, R Lee Ermey in Endless Descent! An experimental submarine, the Siren II, with a very experienced crew is sent to find out what happened to the Siren I, which misteriously dissapeared in a submarine rift. Things go awry when they begin to find things that shouldn't be there, things that should never reach the surface...

Oh, yeah, there's also Deep Rising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8CYpb7zrjs

And Virus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bI1oa_1WME

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.

CobiWann posted:

an awesome post

You are a good person.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Whoa. Virus is one of those things I would never have been able to recall existed unaided.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Uninvited should just be called Cocaine: The Movie.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Let's not forget that there was also a Blind Dead movie that took place in the ocean

The Ghost Galleon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oywinOzT3Xc

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Why do you guys think that ocean themed horror movies are so rare and hardly ever any good? Is it just because shooting out on the ocean is hard and expensive?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I think you nailed it. It's expensive and difficult and time-consuming. Seconding the Death Ship rec, though; it's one of my favorite horror films. Mainly thanks to the sound work and pacing. Really unique, especially when it reaches the insane climax.

Also, it's not on the ocean, but it would be a shame not to mention Creature from the Black Lagoon which is just one of the best movies you could make. Watch it weekly, preferably on VHS.

Thanks for the cabin/autumn recommendations! I haven't seen all of the mentioned movies and I'll need to check 'em out. The Zombie Halloweens are pretty drat good in my opinion. I know most people hate H2 but I thought it built up tension pretty well.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Thanks for the heads-up guys, we ended up watching House of Devils instead, which was really good and damned creepy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ape canyon posted:

Thanks for the cabin/autumn recommendations! I haven't seen all of the mentioned movies and I'll need to check 'em out. The Zombie Halloweens are pretty drat good in my opinion. I know most people hate H2 but I thought it built up tension pretty well.

I didn't get around to see the Rob Zombie Halloween 2 but I hated that he turned Michael into an abused redneck kid that looks like he grew up on Metal; it feels like rednecks is all Rob Zombie knows and he's running it into the ground.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The 2nd Zombie Halloween has some interesting visuals and some decent ideas working in it. I didn't think it was particularly good, but it was a nice try.

His first attempt however was just awful and somehow missed what made the original a good film while pointlessly rehashing it at the same time.

The tacked on backstory was lazy at best. If you're going to give Michael friggin Myers a backstory, one should try a little harder than all of the stereotypes we got. Also the kid who played little Michael was farily terrible in his role. His "gently caress YOU" at the school is hilariously bad.

But yeah, Zombie somehow made a violent, well shot Halloween film, boring as all hell. That is an achievement in itself really.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This is maybe the most heretical film opinion I've ever had, but I kinda think Malcolm McDowell did a better Dr. Loomis than Donald Pleasance did.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

This is maybe the most heretical film opinion I've ever had, but I kinda think Malcolm McDowell did a better Dr. Loomis than Donald Pleasance did.

I like Donald Pleasance much more in general, but I completely agree with you.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Geoffrey Rush made that movie awesome.

I believe you mean Geoffrey Rush as James Woods portraying Vincent Price :v:

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I disagree, but don't think you're insane. I enjoyed McDowell's version having a layer of sleeze and not just being a white knight.

He however can not top Pleasance chasing Michael for roughly 20 years over 5 films and pretty much loving it up. His Loomis became tremendously hilarious about 5 minutes into Halloween 2and from then on. "I SHOT HIM SIX TIMES! SIX TIMES!!!!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

I disagree, but don't think you're insane. I enjoyed McDowell's version having a layer of sleeze and not just being a white knight.

He however can not top Pleasance chasing Michael for roughly 20 years over 6 films and pretty much loving it up. His Loomis became tremendously hilarious about 5 minutes into Halloween 2and from then on. "I SHOT HIM SIX TIMES! SIX TIMES!!!!"

This part's extra funny because right before he says that, it shows that scene and he clearly shoots him seven times.

But yeah, not ragging on Donald Pleasance, but Malcolm McDowell played a character where Pleasance played a caricature.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Liku posted:

For the "Ocean Horror" category I'm going to second Below, The Reef, Dead Calm and Triangle. Heads up about the last one, I remember it looking really low budget and uninteresting but the story is so drat good you'll be glad when you finished it. Like there's nothing interesting at all to look at when they're on the ship, just the events that play out on it.

Seconding this. I won't spoil any of the details by talking about it, but I watched it based on this thread and it was loving awesome. It's rare that I use the phrase "well thought out" to describe a horror movie, but it fits here.

If you haven't watched Triangle, just go do it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

That scene in 2 where Loomis has to deflect the crazy serial killer fans is such a glimpse into Rob Zombie's life, and McDowell just eats it up.

"No, you're the man!"

e - actually, thinking about it, he's gotta be thinking of his creepier Star Trek and Clockwork Orange fans.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 23, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Would Event Horizon count as an "Ocean Horror"? It has all the hallmarks of one, just its in space rather than the ocean.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Would Event Horizon count as an "Ocean Horror"? It has all the hallmarks of one, just its in space rather than the ocean.
There's a movie that's a lot like Event Horizon but I can't talk about it without spoiling the twist. Argh.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

This part's extra funny because right before he says that, it shows that scene and he clearly shoots him seven times.

But yeah, not ragging on Donald Pleasance, but Malcolm McDowell played a character where Pleasance played a caricature.

Yeah, that's well said and pretty accurate.

It always made me laugh in the original set when inevitably Pleasance would find The Shape and gently say "Michael..." before going into a speech in an attempt to reason with him. And then Michael would kill 76 more people.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

There's a movie that's a lot like Event Horizon but I can't talk about it without spoiling the twist. Argh.

Would it be Sphere?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Do it, put it in spoilers or something. Event Horizon is a favorite of mine despite a lot of flaws (we've discovered a dimension of horror beyond human comprehension, how are we going to deal with it, how about a FISTFIGHT!), and I really wish there were more like it. Pandorum and Sunshine were enjoyable and came close but kinda fell apart at the end.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

VaultAggie posted:

Would it be Sphere?

I would think it's Forbidden Planet.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Thir13en Ghosts is a total guilty pleasure of mine.

I admit I have a certain fondness for that movie, mostly because of the :krad: sets and the ghosts. Looking back on it, it seems almost like a precursor to the whole SCP thing.

Which reminds me, has there ever been a movie to try to recreate the elaborate movie theater gags/gimmicks like the original Thirteen Ghosts, House on Haunted Hill, The Tingler, etc? Even a re-release of one of these would be really cool.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

CobiWann, you had an awesome post. Some of those movies look a bit too bad to even enjoy but I appreciate the effort.

Since it seems like the ocean list is drying up let's move to the final frontier!

Share any horror movies set in space!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Hellraiser: Bloodline is underrated as gently caress and is pretty much the series' last hurrah.

(Inferno rules too, but isn't really a Hellraiser movie.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This list is gonna be a lot less interesting because it'll basically just be "Alien and every sub-par movie that ripped off of Alien."

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

CobiWann, you had an awesome post. Some of those movies look a bit too bad to even enjoy but I appreciate the effort.

Since it seems like the ocean list is drying up let's move to the final frontier!

Share any horror movies set in space!
I always like when established franchises are sent to space:

Hellraiser:Bloodline - my fourth favorite Hellraiser, though it is kind of slow.

Critters 4 - In Space! - I loved the Critters movies when I was 10 and now I'm afraid that if I watch them again they'll be loving awful.

Leprechaun 4 is my favorite Leprechaun movie by far, which isn't saying a whole lot. I remember space princess boobs too which I always appreciate.

Jason X had Jason (or his Mom, I forget) slamming the girls into the tree while they were still in their sleeping bag. I like this better than the reboot because it maintains the silliness of the last 5 or 6 Friday the 13th movies.

They don't seem to send monsters to space for no reason anymore and I find that shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ariza posted:

Jason X had Jason (or his Mom, I forget) slamming the girls into the tree while they were still in their sleeping bag. I like this better than the reboot because it maintains the silliness of the last 5 or 6 Friday the 13th movies.

They don't seem to send monsters to space for no reason anymore and I find that shameful.

I always Loved the opening of this film after the initial capture of Jason. We go into the future to a time where Earth is a massive dust bowl incapable life, yet a freezing chamber with the world's most prominent killing machine was still around, and working! If I remember correctly wasn't the crew at the beginning there for him specifically?