Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes, please don't blow the bunkers. Or waste the trucks on a meagre artillery hit. Keep denying that bondsref, fellas!

Who knows, I might wind up playing Piet tied to a stake. In the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That would undoubtedly lead to an uncomfortable number of Custer's Revenge references while we were waiting for updates.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yes, please don't blow the bunkers. Or waste the trucks on a meagre artillery hit. Keep denying that bondsref, fellas!

There's no way in hell that truck's not blowing the gently caress up, orders or no orders :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zaodai posted:

That would undoubtedly lead to an uncomfortable number of Custer's Revenge references while we were waiting for updates.
I'm fine with this. It's not like it's creepier than robot sex.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
This mission is going to be fuckin awesome.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

No.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

I would emptyqhote this so hard. But you're so loving wrong, Arq, it's not even funny.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Arquinsiel posted:

:ducksiren:Is it already ROBOT SEXY TIME again? :ducksiren:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TildeATH posted:

:ducksiren:Is it already ROBOT SEXY TIME again? :ducksiren:

I like how no one uses the normal siren anymore.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So, uh, let's talk about the new weapon system. It seems likely that we are facing Heavy Lasers, which would be a boon for the players since they aren't very good. If true, do make sure to not make yourself an easy target, as those things do hurt quite a bit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The gently caress is up with :ducksiren: anyway?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arquinsiel posted:

:stare:

I can't even come up with a response to that. I'm the guy who routinely advocates machine gunning children in thread, and that seems wrong even to me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

dis astranagant posted:

The gently caress is up with :ducksiren: anyway?

You obviously have never played Earthbound.

Also orders sent

a Simple runup 7 and turn left... not much else to do i'm gonna be taking up the rear by default.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Well, assuming they are running Heavy Lasers it has some good and bad things for Goon Company.

Heavy Laser Cons -
Same range profile as standard IS Lasers - so the Mediums are 3/6/9
Accuracy Penalty - Like pulse lasers but in reverse!
And they also run stupidly hot.

Heavy Laser Pros -
Hits like a loving truck

This is somewhat mitigated from the fact that all clan weapons tend to hit ridiculously hard, but you should never underestimate a medium laser that hits as hard as a spheroid PPC.

Find the designs using the heavy lasers and do your best to force them on the lava tubes and if possible light them up with the Flamers on the Po; with those weapons and on this map flamer hits have a lot of potential to neuter the effective firepower of these clan machines.

EDIT

If the Star Captain is rocking a Heavy Laser boat, it might be worth it for the Banshee to engage and try to cripple the Pillager instead so it can't pitch gauss from the backfield while the other clan machines try to close and engage, meanwhile Gooncompany can use their superior long range abilities to crush the approaching clanners.

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 23, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I have, but I don't remember that at all.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Picard Day posted:

Well, assuming they are running Heavy Lasers it has some good and bad things for Goon Company.

Heavy Laser Cons -

The accuracy penalty isn't quite the same magnitude as pulse lasers' accuracy bonus.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Picard Day posted:

Heavy Laser Cons -

Heavy Laser Pros -
Hits like a loving truck

This is somewhat mitigated from the fact that all clan weapons tend to hit ridiculously hard, but you should never underestimate a medium laser that hits as hard as a spheroid PPC.

Find the designs using the heavy lasers and do your best to force them on the lava tubes and if possible light them up with the Flamers on the Po; with those weapons and on this map flamer hits have a lot of potential to neuter the effective firepower of these clan machines.

EDIT

If the Star Captain is rocking a Heavy Laser boat, it might be worth it for the Banshee to engage and try to cripple the Pillager instead so it can't pitch gauss from the backfield while the other clan machines try to close and engage, meanwhile Gooncompany can use their superior long range abilities to crush the approaching clanners.

The Commander probably has BOTH heavy lasers and Gauss.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Personally, I hope you're all wrong and that we're about to see those Clan Heavy PPCs in action. Should be interesting to see how they handle.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Personally, I hope you're all wrong and that we're about to see those Clan Heavy PPCs in action. Should be interesting to see how they handle.

A Clan Widowmaker weapon in Hell's Horses hands? I don't think nearly enough time has passed for it to have entered mass production and been claimed as salvage by CHH in a Trial of Possession. Unless you think CHH independently came up with the same weapon after watching the same BattleROM?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

landcollector posted:

A Clan Widowmaker weapon in Hell's Horses hands? I don't think nearly enough time has passed for it to have entered mass production and been claimed as salvage by CHH in a Trial of Possession. Unless you think CHH independently came up with the same weapon after watching the same BattleROM?

Clan hells horses were the ones who got SHOT WITH IT.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
It's Rotary HGRs with iLK plasma munitions.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
iATMs invented a bit early in this universe.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

landcollector posted:

It's possible. HH tend to be the ones coming up with new technology and keeping the Clans from being stagnant, them and Star Adder. It wouldn't surprise me if they managed to get their hands on some or get the idea to develop some kind of CHPPC of their own after viewing the footage. Honestly though, I'm more hoping for it just because it's another thing that would be unexpected and throw a wrench into the works. I'm just a fan of that kind of thing I guess.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rivensteel posted:

For added realism, the Banshee needs to challenge one of the goons, preferably one far away with high move mods.

As somebody else pointed out, that could easily make a 2v2 become a quick 3v1 stompfest although there's no telling if it would work; although it could give a good excuse to end up with great shots that can be ignored since it's the wrong target.

If we can determine what the holdout assault mechs are, though, forcing a long range fit into a fistfight might be nice.

e: I have the perfect plan for this now, actually.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's a scaled up Gauss Rifle that fires boarding drills loaded with giant bears in power armor. The weapon has to make a hit roll, then a penetration roll, after which you take internal damage each round as the Bear Elemental tears its way through your mech to get to the cockpit and disembowel the pilot.

Unless it hits the head of course. Then you just get a grizzly death. :v:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Zaodai posted:

Unless it hits the head of course. Then you just get a grizzly death. :v:

And then the bear takes over your mech.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sounds like we need a GIF of a cannon shooting bears from RA3, but I can't find one anywhere.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Sounds like we need a GIF of a cannon shooting bears from RA3, but I can't find one anywhere.

I'm more partial to jamming the local CHH CommNet with recordings of George Takei's character in RA3 saying the "You are made of Stupid" speech. (modified with the appropriate word changes of course...)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

The Inner Sphere has actually undergone that phenomenon a few times before. It's not that nobody rediscovered any kind of Star League tech between the start of the downhill slide in the Second War and 3025, it's that anyone who made any breakthrough of note got killed by ROM and had all their research destroyed, so the IS kept rediscovering and losing the same poo poo from high-tech research facilities over and over and over again.

The difference between the Helm core and any other major breakthroughs that really changed poo poo is that the GDL gave copies of it away to anyone who asked nicely, so it was spreading (via JumpShip) to all five Houses faster than it could be contained, whereas all prior significant discoveries were being kept under lock and key in one place, so all ROM had to do was hit one guy. If not for the Helm core making them change their game plan, ROM probably would have come after guys like Dr. Banzai or the DefHes R&D crew that figured out how to make their lines produce new mechs they'd designed (like the Banshee-S and the Zeus-T), destroyed all their poo poo, and left the IS back where it started, plus a little worse.

Oh I know. My problem with it isn't that they got the information, but that they managed to put it to good use so fast at the scale that they did. From how battered their industries were and with Comstar interfering with them implementing it at least to some degree, I'd imagine the only people to actually have any access to enhanced tech would be "royal" units, with maybe a few scraps left over for groups on the front line.

Edit: And Heavy Lasers assigned to a unit that's close to a volcano? I guess some clanners just like it hot.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

evilmiera posted:

Oh I know. My problem with it isn't that they got the information, but that they managed to put it to good use so fast at the scale that they did. From how battered their industries were and with Comstar interfering with them implementing it at least to some degree, I'd imagine the only people to actually have any access to enhanced tech would be "royal" units, with maybe a few scraps left over for groups on the front line.

Edit: And Heavy Lasers assigned to a unit that's close to a volcano? I guess some clanners just like it hot.

You got the 3039 sourcebook? Cause that's exactly how tech exists in that book. I loving adore the rules annex in that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looking to run my Crocket to 1330 this turn. I'm not much use this far out, but at least I can avoid being shot for now.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
They would show off their superior clan tech with Mech-Tanks: Mechs that can transform into Tanks and Elemental Launchers for long range Elemental bombardment.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Running to 1129 for max move mod for now.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
We haven't seen any Arrow IVs yet, have we? :devil:

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
Damage be damned take the plant without damaging it, the harder route is worth more post mission I'm sure of it, sides if you all die, there's 2 other companies of mechs to pick up the slack anyway!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gimmick Account posted:

PTN, did you change anything about the composition of the enemy force when you allowed the Banshee deception?

Nope.

It's going to take real effort to pull off; and even more to take a position to capitalize on that effort.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 23, 2012

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope.

It's going to take real effort to pull off; and even more to take a position to capitalize on that effort.

Can the Banshee move past enemies while facing them or does that count as them getting a good look inside? Or is it only "don't end up facing them at the end of your movement"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope.

Goons are doomed. :allears:

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Orders sent. It looks like my Archer might be best used by hanging back and shooting missiles at everything. If Putin uses the Raven's recon camera, I could do some serious damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

joneswt posted:

Orders sent. It looks like my Archer might be best used by hanging back and shooting missiles at everything. If Putin uses the Raven's recon camera, I could do some serious damage.

The terrain here is beautiful for indirect fire.

• Locked thread