Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Flickr-havers; I got favourited by someone, so thought I'd take a look at their work... example a:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79288155@N03/6955424258/

In less than 2 months, 2700 views, 350 likes, 260 comments :o: All while not being added to any groups or sets that I can tell.

How the hell does that happen!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does 500px not show your pics once your account isn't VIP or something? I went from like 100 views to 4 which I thought was strange.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Flickr-havers; I got favourited by someone, so thought I'd take a look at their work... example a:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79288155@N03/6955424258/

In less than 2 months, 2700 views, 350 likes, 260 comments :o: All while not being added to any groups or sets that I can tell.

How the hell does that happen!?
They have added 4,802 contacts and have (bot) favourited 32,000 images. Some of these people have reciprocated.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

I'd be surprised if people were aware film is still being produced at all.

This. I've had this reaction more than once. Fortunately, every time when I said something like "Well, Kodak went bankrupt, but Fuji is still doing fine, Ilford still makes black-and-white, and there are a bunch of films from China on eBay, plus all the old expired stuff people have kicking around", the reaction has been more "Oh, hey, cool" and not so much *slowly backs away from the crazy luddite*

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Yeah, but film is headed for the same category that vinyl records has been in for a loong time. Weird-because-analog

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mathturbator posted:

Yeah, but film is headed for the same category that vinyl records has been in for a loong time. Weird-because-analog

I could be totally wrong about this, but I feel like vinyl is a lot more popular now than it was in the 90s and early 2000s. But it definitely seems to be due to the resurgence in interest in "vintage" and old technology rather than anything else. I think film would be a lot more popular if it was cheaper and not so relatively complicated compared to digital.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Film is never going to be less complicated or cheaper than the minilab-cd, and you saw how well that's been working out.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 29, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

drat, Amazon have a new super-cheap long-term storage solution up and running:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/21/amazon-glacier-lets-you-back-up-your-entire-photo-library-on-the-cheap/

1penny/GB
:eyepop:

get your RAW files backed up somewhere safe in case of Act of God :)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I just saw a 8-15mm L glass at the PX. For those who don't know, the PX is the Army version of Walmart.

Pity it was for canon. I still can't believe they expect to sell something that good to a bunch of people who buy a T2i and brag to their friends that they have a "professional camera"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/21/amazon-glacier-lets-you-back-up-your-entire-photo-library-on-the-cheap/

1penny/GB

Oh, that is pretty cool.

That said, with the cost/speed of bandwidth in the UK, it probably still works out cheaper to post a HDD to a friend and update it every month or so.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Welp, Impossible have done it, 8x10 instant film is back on the market with a first batch of 1000 boxes of 10 sheets going for around $190 a piece.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2200240/impossible-revives-8x10-instant-film-gallery

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

It looks like poo poo, they haven't done anything.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Photo like it's 1899

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The quality isn't amazing, but I'm happy they're working on large format instant film, hopefully they might cut some down to 4x5 now that Fuji has pulled the plug.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

It looks like poo poo, they haven't done anything.

How lame do you have to be to not think that's cool?

I've only ever shot on digital and have zero interest in pouring a bunch of money into any kind of film, much less super expensive instant film, but that's cool as hell.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I guess it's cool that they made a Polaroid film that's 8x10, but it does look terrible. Like... really, really bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's the perfect lomo film. Crappy and expensive. It will probably outsell everything else if marketed at the right demographic.

(judging by the photos, the demographic is people with old timey twirled moustaches and top hats)

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I... I can cut this down to 2 4X5 sheets right? :gizz:

Ugh, probably not

:flaccid:

Still, it gives me hope that Impossible might start cranking out 4X5 instant. That would be amazing, seeing as how every time I bought a pack or sheet holder for one type of instant film, it got discontinued.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

squidflakes posted:

I... I can cut this down to 2 4X5 sheets right? :gizz:

Ugh, probably not

:flaccid:

Still, it gives me hope that Impossible might start cranking out 4X5 instant. That would be amazing, seeing as how every time I bought a pack or sheet holder for one type of instant film, it got discontinued.

YOU! It's your fault that the film died!

STAY AWAY FROM THE FILM.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Is it going to fade into nothingness like the rest of the poo poo they make?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How lame do you have to be to not think that's cool?

I've only ever shot on digital and have zero interest in pouring a bunch of money into any kind of film, much less super expensive instant film, but that's cool as hell.
8x10 generally sells for $10 to $15 a sheet. They are charging $20 for film that looks bad. So yes, it looks like poo poo and they haven't done anything.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

TheLastManStanding posted:

8x10 generally sells for $10 to $15 a sheet. They are charging $20 for film that looks bad. So yes, it looks like poo poo and they haven't done anything.

So, yeah, standard Impossible Project stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

1penny/GB

That's super tempting.. but the 5-6 hour retrieval time says to me it's a tape based solution.

I got nothing against tape backups, but I feel sorry for the poor bastards that have to maintain the drat thing. Tape robots require huge amounts of manpower to keep operating.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

xzzy posted:

That's super tempting.. but the 5-6 hour retrieval time says to me it's a tape based solution.

I got nothing against tape backups, but I feel sorry for the poor bastards that have to maintain the drat thing. Tape robots require huge amounts of manpower to keep operating.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

xzzy posted:

I used to be the backup admin at my last job and I can confirm that tape backups are the least efficient, most pain in the rear end things.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Because I'm lazy and a digital packrat, I have approx 500GB of RAW dating back to 2005 when I got my first DSLR. I currently keep all of it live on an internal hard drive in my desktop. I maintain a synchronized copy on my home NAS via script. I currently use BackBlaze for offsite backup, which also synchronizes the RAW files.

Took about 3 weeks for the initial backup to BackBlaze, but since then it's been able to keep up with the files I dump here and there. It helps that I have 30mbit/5mbit internet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

QPZIL posted:

I used to be the backup admin at my last job and I can confirm that tape backups are the least efficient, most pain in the rear end things.

The worst is backup guys who have no idea what they're doing. Ask me about trying to restore a mission critical server at 3am while tar is asking for the next tape in the set when the backup guy only gives you one cartridge.

"What? No, there's only one tape. Your stuff is on there!"

We got a new backup guy two days later and implemented a sane backup solution.

Of course that was like number 8 on a list of 99 things wrong with the place I worked, but whatever -- it was a paycheck.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Martytoof posted:

The worst is backup guys who have no idea what they're doing. Ask me about trying to restore a mission critical server at 3am while tar is asking for the next tape in the set when the backup guy only gives you one cartridge.

It works like a cassette, you just needed to flip it over to side 2. :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pseudonordic posted:

It works like a cassette, you just needed to flip it over to side 2. :haw:

If you restore the tape backwards you get the launch codes for the Soviet nuclear arsenal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Managing long term storage is a tough loving problem, and at most companies it's treated like an afterthought and usually handed off to the most junior guy on the team.

Even when it works right it's still a lot of work. In large installations (that is, multiple petabytes) major hardware failures are almost a weekly event.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It is 100% an afterthought because nobody wants to sink (hundreds of) thousands of dollars into the proper equipment and infrastructure.

How many times a day do you think some manager at a fortune 500 company says "How much?! But I can buy a 2TB external drive at best buy for a hundred bucks!"

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I used to run the tape robots for a very very large patient database at a major hospital system. One day, some slime-trail leaving salesman sold the hospital director on a magneto-optical solution which had headroom for 30% growth over three years. The problem being that because we had put in digital diagnostic imaging, our storage growth was more like 300% a month.

That was a fun two weeks. Turns out you can slam watertight doors.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My B&W scanning workflow involves applying the "Gray Gamma 2.2" profile in Photoshop as soon as I open the scanned TIFF.

After I do my editing, my last steps are toning/sharpening/saving. Since I'm adding a slight tone, I convert from Grayscale to RGB. Does that cancel out the GG2.2 profile I applied, or is that still in effect?

Profiles and color spaces interacting is like black magic to me :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

How many times a day do you think some manager at a fortune 500 company says "How much?! But I can buy a 2TB external drive at best buy for a hundred bucks!"
Then the CTO literally tells him to go gently caress himself.

squidflakes posted:

One day, some slime-trail leaving salesman sold the hospital director on a magneto-optical solution which had headroom for 30% growth over three years. The problem being that because we had put in digital diagnostic imaging, our storage growth was more like 300% a month.
Your CTO/IT Director was clue/testicle-less.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Then the CTO literally tells him to go gently caress himself.

If you're lucky the CTO even gets to make the final decision!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

evil_bunnY posted:

Your CTO/IT Director was clue/testicle-less.

I'm sorry, IT Director? You mean the head contractor?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
For the record, my IT director is a Pentax ME Super.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Sent my camera in to Canon for a repair and asked them to tell me what the shutter count was on it just so I knew.

The good news is that it has about 10,000 fewer actuations than the number of miles on my car.

The bad news is that my car has 245,000 miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'm not in Minneapolis but go to the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden so you can pretend to be holding a 30-foot cherry.

I didn't hold up the cherry, but I did go to the Sculpture Garden.

The Great Spoon by iantuten, on Flickr