Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you don't have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Patlabor-Movie-Limited-Collectors-Edition/dp/B000FILUL0

Go buy one. I found one in a Newbury Comics for 20 bucks, and was shocked when I picked it up, it weighs 2 pounds, 4 ounces, and has not only a kickin' rad case, a stylish inner case for the DVDs, but also has a book with the entire storyboard and a book with a shitload of information about the movie, the world of Patlabor, and the vehicles, Labors, and characters of it. Both books have a great heft and weight to them that are the mark of good quality. It is a fantastic set, regardless of the quality of the movie, which also seems to be at the very least above average, if not great going by online ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for reminding me that Patlabor exists and that I need to watch it.

Any advise for how I should do that? I know the Gundam movies replace the series, is it like that or just additions?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You have the first series of OVAs, which IIRC share a cast but are their own thing. Then there's everything else. The movies use the continuity from the show and OVA series 2 I think, but they are really serious and you shouldn't expect them to be more of the same.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
The movies actually follow the OVA version of events, sort of. Basically, Patlabor continuity is kind of screwy. The OVA and the three movies are supposed to be one "continuity," though the second movie is actually based on a two-episode arc from the original OVA.

The TV series and the second OVA are their own continuity, which plays up the antagonism between Special Vehicles Division 2 and the multi-national corporation SHAFT and pull more from the manga for inspiration.

Both series, though, of course feature the same characters, setting, mecha, organizations, etc. but in slightly different contexts.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 7, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

If you don't have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Patlabor-Movie-Limited-Collectors-Edition/dp/B000FILUL0

Go buy one. I found one in a Newbury Comics for 20 bucks, and was shocked when I picked it up, it weighs 2 pounds, 4 ounces, and has not only a kickin' rad case, a stylish inner case for the DVDs, but also has a book with the entire storyboard and a book with a shitload of information about the movie, the world of Patlabor, and the vehicles, Labors, and characters of it. Both books have a great heft and weight to them that are the mark of good quality. It is a fantastic set, regardless of the quality of the movie, which also seems to be at the very least above average, if not great going by online ratings.

I have movie 1 and 2, which I bought off Rightstuf for $40 since Mike Toole was talking about how much of a bargain it was, and boy was it ever. Both retailed for $90 back when they were released. :psyduck: Only saw movie 1, didn't watch 2 yet but I enjoyed 1 pretty good.

Hopefully someone rescues the TV series and the OVAs, like maybe Discotek since they seem to be the go to for expired Central Park Media stuff. I don't really think movie 3 sounds interesting, but I'd love to see the series since it's a little more lighthearted and more about camaraderie among the police force (or so it seems)

Also, the manga being rescued would be nice, but it was one of those Viz titles that got canned after like 3 volumes. One day, one day...

Zeether fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 7, 2012

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Man, I was wondering when Bryger 35 was dropping and that day was apparently yesterday.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Al Baron posted:

Man, I was wondering when Bryger 35 was dropping and that day was apparently yesterday.

Bryger has 4 episodes left, L-Gaim has the same iirc, and Xabungle has 3 left since an episode was released today.

I have only watched a little bit of Xabungle and Bryger and I liked what I saw, but I'm waiting on all 3 to finish before I marathon them, which should be sometime this year unless something horribly wrong happens.

It's a good time to be a fan of 80s mecha :toot:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, definitely pleased to see a number of classic series that have appeared in the SRW franchise nearly settled out all at about the same time at last. One wonders where it goes from here across the lot of them as I know the well of series has still got quite a bit to it...

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zeether posted:

I have movie 1 and 2, which I bought off Rightstuf for $40 since Mike Toole was talking about how much of a bargain it was, and boy was it ever. Both retailed for $90 back when they were released. :psyduck: Only saw movie 1, didn't watch 2 yet but I enjoyed 1 pretty good.

Hopefully someone rescues the TV series and the OVAs, like maybe Discotek since they seem to be the go to for expired Central Park Media stuff. I don't really think movie 3 sounds interesting, but I'd love to see the series since it's a little more lighthearted and more about camaraderie among the police force (or so it seems)

Also, the manga being rescued would be nice, but it was one of those Viz titles that got canned after like 3 volumes. One day, one day...

I just machine gunned the TV series having not seen the original OVA or the movies, but those happen in different continuities so it doesn't matter all that much. It was a lot of fun and 90% of the time very lighthearted, its definitely more police-mecha-slice-of-life rather than a flat out mecha show so unless you're onboard with the characters it'd get dull fast. Something worth noting if you do watch it; the real ending such as it is makes up the first 4 episodes of the 2nd OVA series so its worth finding that too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Yeah, definitely pleased to see a number of classic series that have appeared in the SRW franchise nearly settled out all at about the same time at last. One wonders where it goes from here across the lot of them as I know the well of series has still got quite a bit to it...

Presumably after L-Gaim finishes up the subbers will be able to put out more than 2-3 episodes of Layzner a year, and iirc the guy subbing Bryger is gonna do the rest of the J9 stuff next. No idea if the Xabungle folks are gonna pick up something new once they finish.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I keep hope alive the Daitarn fellow will decide to come on back to things!

The world needs all the J9 stuff for sure---guess the remaining months of 2012 will ultimately spell it all out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I've been keeping the OP as updated as possible whenever my RSS feed triggers a new episode of something, but then I never make a new post about it anymore. I don't wanna be that guy that quadruple-posts in a thread, even if each post is a week apart or something.

Most of the shows in the OP haven't updated in a long time. It's as if my attempt to inform the masses about awesome classic super robto shows went to waste. But then I see Xabungle and Bryger nearly complete, and I don't feel bad anymore. :unsmith:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
By the way, the next Simulwatchathon is up, and we're watching Turn A Gundam. Y'all should join us.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Here's a brief interview with Go Nagai regarding Mazinger Z and the Soul of Chogokin line on the website for the latest, really expensive Chogokin Mazinger. It's pretty interesting, and Nagai comes off as a really cool guy. An overgrown kid, basically, and the kind of guy you could have a lot of fun chatting to.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

tsob posted:

Here's a brief interview with Go Nagai regarding Mazinger Z and the Soul of Chogokin line on the website for the latest, really expensive Chogokin Mazinger. It's pretty interesting, and Nagai comes off as a really cool guy. An overgrown kid, basically, and the kind of guy you could have a lot of fun chatting to.

I saw this earlier, and I also share Nagai's desire for a 1 meter tall Mazinger figure. I'd want it to walk autonomously so I could ride around on it's shoulders. Probably yelling things about Breast Fire and Rocket Punch.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Can we get a 1 meter tall Great-Hen figure? Though it would make the pain even worse...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mikeycp posted:

Can we get a 1 meter tall Great-Hen figure? Though it would make the pain even worse...

I think I could forgive the lack of a Great-Hen series if there were a meter tall Great Mazinger to console me.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Schwarzwald posted:

I think I could forgive the lack of a Great-Hen series if there were a meter tall Great Mazinger to console me.

It's okay, Great Mazinger, I'm not an Imagawa anime either. :gbsmith:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's been a long road for AXSUS but they just dropped episode 48 of Xabungle meaning the series is fully subbed.

Now someone just needs to sub Star of the Seine and the rest of L.Gaim from /m/subs and we'll have the full Tomino filmography in English.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Guyver posted:

It's been a long road for AXSUS but they just dropped episode 48 of Xabungle meaning the series is fully subbed.

And with that I am finally able to move Xabungle's position in the OP to the "Completed" section along with the other Tomino alumni. Bryger is close to finished as well, so at least two series will finally be finished in this thread's lifetime.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
What's with the really shaky status of most of this stuff getting subbed, anyways? Even if mecha stuff is looked down upon for the most part by "ordinary" weeaboos (which is surprising given that Gurren Lagann was the Nerd Thing du jour for a while, even among people who had never touched anime before outside of Toonami/[as]) it's still got a pretty huge internet following.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, most of it is old/ugly/not sleek. Mecha might be fairly popular, but old mecha is decidedly less so. How many people out there are really gonna sit down and watch Jeeg, for instance?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I don't know about shaky status. I'm really pleased that any of this is getting fansubbed. I remember when I began playing the fan patched Super Robot Wars 3, and not recognizing the vast majority of the units involved, except for vague notions that some were Gundams, while others came from 70s super robot shows. Today, I just watched an episode of J-Decker and GEAR Fighter Dendoh, while adding to my queue a batch torrent of the first 20 episodes of Super Dimensional Century Orguss. :stare:

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

It's a fine line. Gundam at least has attempts at being deep and political and such, (how effective that is being up to the audience). It takes a special kind of person to watch Combattler fighting a giant dragon monster who's head turns into a blender, or Domon and Rain shooting a giant king to stop the Devil Gundam once and for all and instead of going, "That's loving stupid," to go, "That's loving stupid. But I goddamn love it!" Insert whatever super robot fighting moment you may have into that.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Endorph posted:

Well, most of it is old/ugly/not sleek. Mecha might be fairly popular, but old mecha is decidedly less so. How many people out there are really gonna sit down and watch Jeeg, for instance?

Well, you've got one of them right here. I love mecha, especially mecha in SRW, so much I even watched God Mars.

Of course, what I'm really waiting for is the original Brave Raideen and Daimos. It kinda hurts having something so ubiquitous in SRW still unsubbed.

onepixeljumpman posted:

It takes a special kind of person to watch Combattler fighting a giant dragon monster who's head turns into a blender, or Domon and Rain shooting a giant king to stop the Devil Gundam once and for all and instead of going, "That's loving stupid," to go, "That's loving stupid. But I goddamn love it!"

Why do you even have to care if it's stupid or not, let alone force yourself to recognize that fact? If it's awesome enough, it shouldn't even matter how plausible it is.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

onepixeljumpman posted:

It's a fine line. Gundam at least has attempts at being deep and political and such, (how effective that is being up to the audience). It takes a special kind of person to watch Combattler fighting a giant dragon monster who's head turns into a blender, or Domon and Rain shooting a giant king to stop the Devil Gundam once and for all and instead of going, "That's loving stupid," to go, "That's loving stupid. But I goddamn love it!" Insert whatever super robot fighting moment you may have into that.

See I just don't get that, the love love finger and basara singing aliens to death are what really sold me into SRW and subsequently mecha. People loved the poo poo out of DBZ's genkidama and action anime loves its friendship beams in general, along with fighting spirit equating to actual powerlevels. What's wrong with taking it a step further?

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 23, 2012

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

Yeah, new mecha shows that don't get simulcasted tend to get fansubbed since there's enough fans watching the newest of the new stuff.

I'd say the issue mostly lies in the fact that the majority of fansubbers want to sub all the brand new stuff that's airing right now. Many do it because that's what they enjoy, but others because of the e-peen in subbing whatever is the current otaku hit is.

I imagine that it's easier to pace yourself by subbing one episode a week for 26 weeks instead of looking at taking on an old 50~ episode mecha show where you have all the episodes available immediately, it's pretty daunting.

Another problem is that it's super easy to get high quality raws for current shows not long after they air. However for older shows it's not uncommon for fansubbers to have to shell out the cash themselves for the dvds due to raws being poor or even nonexistent.

And that's to say nothing of the personal taste behind their choices, of course.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Whenever I tried to share super robot shows with other people that liked anime, they either didn't "get it", thinking it was silly, not awesome. Or more often they would say they liked it but couldn't watch it because it looked bad.

The reason I love SR shows is the music though.

Like, just listen to the openings of Getter Robo or Great Mazinger or Jeeg
It all rules.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Endorph posted:

How many people out there are really gonna sit down and watch Jeeg, for instance?

I want to.

It'd be better than watching the whole of 70s Mazinger Z, if nothing else. :v: Never again.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

I like how just because I said those things are stupid that everyone assumed that meant they were bad. I think half, if not more, of the charm of super robot stuff is that it's stupid and awesome. It's totally ok to get wrapped up in that stuff. Some people just can't do that though and will only see it as dumb. It's just also worthwhile to not take giant space brains and combining with Mars to form a robot that eats the universe and so on too seriously.

Shaezerus posted:

It'd be better than watching the whole of 70s Mazinger Z, if nothing else. :v: Never again.

Did anyone else ever see a sub set for that that was really terribly done, maybe JoJo's Part 4 levels of bad? I'm talking about translating "Mazinger Z" as "Tall God Z."

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 24, 2012

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

onepixeljumpman posted:

Did anyone else ever see a sub set for that that was really terribly done, maybe JoJo's Part 4 levels of bad? I'm talking about translating "Mazinger Z" as "Tall God Z."

Dr Hell talking about his crabstick is hilarious for a few episodes but I imagine that after dozens of episodes it loses its charm.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

onepixeljumpman posted:

I have DVDs of those. HK subs are a hell of a thing, and I don't regret the purchase; watching the quality of the subtitles slowly decline from vaguely making sense, using complete sentences and actually spelling characters' names correctly to calling Mazinger "God General" and the like is entertainment in itself.

Of course, even the early, better-done subtitles are pretty well and horrible (crabstick), but at least you could sort of piece together what the episode is about, which is kind of an achievement all to its own.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 24, 2012

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Srice posted:

Dr Hell talking about his crabstick is hilarious for a few episodes but I imagine that after dozens of episodes it loses its charm.

I watched them to about episode 15 or so, and yes. Yes it does.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm 15 episodes into Shin Mazinger.

I mean, I had heard that it's the best robot show of the last decade, but those words didn't "click" for me until I got into the thick of it.

This is some of if not the best storytelling I've seen in a show.

On an related note (a show with terrible storytelling to contrast), Eureka 7 was awful and none of the hype for it makes sense.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Broken Loose posted:

I'm 15 episodes into Shin Mazinger.

Isn't episode 15 the finale of the Dr. Schtroheim arc? That's my favorite moment of the series. Mad scientists do not make good family men.

The plot really starts to pick up steam, here. Please keep us informed of your reactions!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm surprised it didn't click for you when kanjite knight started playing :kamina:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

A friendly reminder that this is in the OP:

Mercury Crusader posted:

THE BEST SUPER ROBOT SHOW OF THE LAST DECADE! IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT, DO IT!

Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen
- A modern retelling of the classic Mazinger Z storyline, and currently the best super robot show of the new millennium!

Granted, the new millennium hasn't given us many super robot shows, but Shin Mazinger will probably remain on top for decades to come. :c00lbert:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Schwarzwald posted:

The plot really starts to pick up steam, here. Please keep us informed of your reactions!

I wanted to give trip reports but I seriously can't stop watching it long enough to post.

Just finished episode 22 (first half recap/second half Mechabeast Baron Ashura WOOOOOOO). I'm absolutely floored that there has been no filler or recaps up to this point, and I think this recap was really well implemented as to emphasize the final battle that I assume will take up the last 3 episodes.

I mean, Christ, when I first started watching I began to get the impression that the show was just a single long fight in real time, and while the first sortie eventually ended after 6 episodes, the show is paced pretty damned close to that.

edit: AHAHAHAHA EPISODE 23 ENDS WITH KANJITE KNIGHT PLAYING AND 24 PICKS UP WHERE THE SONG LEFT OFF

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 29, 2012

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
HOLY loving poo poo THE LAST 60 SECONDS OF THIS SHOW JUST STABBED ME WITH A GODDAMN PITCHFORK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gotta love that bastard Imagawa's endings :argh:

• Locked thread