Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

Basically, shoot at sunrise or sunset. Obviously there's more technique to it than that, but I can't think of anything that has a bigger effect on making a mediocre landscape into a great one.

Composition? Content? I mean, I wouldn't say that light alone would make something a great photograph. There has to be something there in the first place.

Dick Danger posted:

I really hate sucking at things, so I want to make a goal of working towards the quality of landscape photography everyone else posting here seems to maintain. Are there any particularly good resources/theory for beginners?

Look at a lot of photographs. Seriously, spend as much time as you can looking at images you like and think about why you like them. Landscape throws a lot of people because they have trouble with the concept of the scene it's self being the subject of the photo. It's easier to get away with sloppier composition when shooting something clearly defined that dominates the viewers attention, like portraits or sports. Remember that you aren't just trying to take a picture of a tree and a rock, you are trying to say something with those elements.

I'm not saying that every photograph you take must be meticulously planned and thought out. Just that if you don't know why you are taking a photograph then you probably shouldn't take it. Here are a few Flickr groups with some strong work that I like to follow:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/anthropogenics/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/neotopografia/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/americanelegy/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/democraticforest/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/landscapist/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

Composition? Content? I mean, I wouldn't say that light alone would make something a great photograph. There has to be something there in the first place.

My assumption is if they're posting here they already have some awareness of composition. :colbert:

Especially because almost everything that gets posted on this sub-forum blows my poo poo out of the water.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

My assumption is if they're posting here they already have some awareness of composition. :colbert:

Especially because almost everything that gets posted on this sub-forum blows my poo poo out of the water.

Fair enough.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Some photos from Icedlandia, I was in Reykjavik for the marathon last weekend, so didn't really get too far out into the country, just the normal tourist spots in the southwest.

Núpakot by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Skógafoss by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Skógafoss by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Reynisdrangar by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Þingvellir National Park by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Gullfoss by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Sorry for the repost but what do you guys think of this reprocessing job? Better or worse? The contrast between sunlit and shadow areas is a bitch to get right in the desert, so many of my shots ended up being flat as hell on the first processing run-through. This one was no different, I guess.

Painted Hills Sunrise Pano (reprocess) by Smekermann, on Flickr

Link to the original.

edit: neckbeard, those shots really manage to convey Iceland's uh... epicness? Epicity? What I'm saying is, Iceland looks pretty fuckin badass.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Smekerman posted:

edit: neckbeard, those shots really manage to convey Iceland's uh... epicness? Epicity? What I'm saying is, Iceland looks pretty fuckin badass.

grandiosity

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think Iceland needs its own superlative. Like icelandosity or something.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Smekerman posted:

Thanks, I wasn't in the country very long, the furthest I got outside of Reykjavik was Vik, which is less than 200Km away along the coast, and the furthest inland I got was Þingvellir National Park, which is about 50Km inland. That means there's still poo poo-tons of Icelandosity out there.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Adirondack High Peaks Region. That's about as close as I got without torrential downpours. Not fun hiking or picture taking that day.

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost
It's been too long since I posted in this thread, I finally stopped being lazy and processed my pictures form my trip to Glacier National park this summer. I think I got really lucky with the weather, just the right mix of clouds and sun for great photos.

Heavy Runner Mountian & Reynolds Creek by johnm3000, on Flickr

McDonlad Creek Valley by johnm3000, on Flickr

Medow and Dusty Star Mountain by johnm3000, on Flickr

Rainbow over McDonlad Creek Valley by johnm3000, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

Nice, what focal length did you use?

Thanks. That one was 24mm, as I was shooting at 30s I needed a slightly longer FL to get some trails happening.

Here is another from the weekend, this time I think I improved the FG a lot, and eliminated the gaps in the trails, although they were thicker/more plentiful in the old one:

A Lucky Break by Aztatlan, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jm3000 posted:

It's been too long since I posted in this thread, I finally stopped being lazy and processed my pictures form my trip to Glacier National park this summer. I think I got really lucky with the weather, just the right mix of clouds and sun for great photos.

This amuses me because I was there just a few weeks ago, and my pictures look suspiciously similar even though I was in a completely different part of the park.

Downside being all my shots were taken right in the middle of the day, and I'm not too happy with most of them.

I also had 100% clear skies.. which is fine for hiking, but I was secretly hoping for a huge storm to come through.

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.
Trekking through the Himalayas.

Sunrise over the Himalayas by alangrainger, on Flickr

Metalslug fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 29, 2012

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Metalslug posted:

Trekking through the Himalayas.

Sunrise over the Himalayas by alangrainger, on Flickr

I think the saturation is a tiny bit too strong, otherwise this is killer. Such a great shot.

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.

somnambulist posted:

I think the saturation is a tiny bit too strong, otherwise this is killer. Such a great shot.

Absolutely right you are, toned it down a bit. Thanks :)

e: Hopefully enough?

Metalslug fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 29, 2012

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Me and a friend took a trip up to the Knoydart Peninsula to get away from civilization for a couple of days:

Rainstorm by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

To Knoydart by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Insert Celtic Music Here by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Heading Home by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Rowboat 2 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Rain by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 29, 2012

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

Clouds over Nagarkot by alangrainger, on Flickr

Metalslug fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 29, 2012

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

we were once here by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

Glass Front Porch by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

I usually avoid doing this, but how easy is it to notice that the sky in the second photo is from a different shot?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

quazi posted:

we were once here by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

I usually avoid doing this, but how easy is it to notice that the sky in the second photo is from a different shot?

would NOT have noticed had you not mentioned it... beautiful comp ;)

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

quazi posted:

I only looked at the embedded images and not the large sizes, but I personally couldn't tell. Gorgeous shots, really jealous of those skies.

edit: Yeah, it's pretty seamless even in the large size. Great job on the processing.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

quazi posted:

I dunno, I immediately noticed, it looks pretty fake to me.

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
Does crumbled wreckage count as rocks?

I'm still working on these, I had no idea the location for our short film would be both so incredible and so drat difficult to work with.

Any feedback is more than appreciated, I'm banging my head against the wall over this series.
The one day I wish I had brought sticks.:(

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Reichstag posted:

I dunno, I immediately noticed, it looks pretty fake to me.

Are you talking about the blend or the actual skies? If you're talking of the latter, I've seen skies like that (ie. with two different hues in the clouds), there's nothing fake about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's one of those pictures that's got so much processing going on, it's got that "more amazing than the real world so it actually looks kind of fake" feel. You know, the stuff you see on the front page of 500px all the time.

I'm not really making a value judgement on that type of photo, but it is hard for me to look at it and not get stuck on wondering why it seems "off."

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I think the sunset-like lighting in the clouds sorta gives it away. That's just a guess though. It seems like the light on the ground might be too bright for the clouds that suggest lighting in the evening.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

xzzy posted:

It's one of those pictures that's got so much processing going on, it's got that "more amazing than the real world so it actually looks kind of fake" feel. You know, the stuff you see on the front page of 500px all the time.

I'm not really making a value judgement on that type of photo, but it is hard for me to look at it and not get stuck on wondering why it seems "off."

Really? What about it looks fake to you? If you actually sit there and analyze it, yeah, you might notice that everything's a bit too evenly lit, even for what looks to be a twilight scene (which might mean some exposure blending in the shadow areas), but on first glance I couldn't really see anything off about it, except that it was pretty vivid.

Also, here's a lovely shot of mine from 2005 showing another example of skies like that:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not saying skies like that don't happen, just that that particular example doesn't sit well with me.

And I can't express what's "off" about it. It just is. :downs:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Summer by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I don't know if this is good or not.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
You guys definitely aren't the first to say those images are a bit 'punchy'. And yes I'll admit I've possibly been spending an unhealthy amount of free time on 500px.

For reference, here are the source images of the second photo (click for big):

Exposure 5 of 7 (facing west)

Composite of all 7 exposures as a 32-bit TIFF in Lightroom 4.1

Smekerman and East Lake, this might be what you're picking up on: this sky was taken 30 minutes later, 20 miles away, and facing the opposite direction from the "ground" half of the image. (Or maybe I just fell in the HDR Hole and need a ladder.)

quazi fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 30, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
No, I think it's the direction of the light. It's really obvious that the light is landing on the opposite side of the rocks that the sun is facing. I think also the bottom half is too bright compared to the sky. Not by much, but if you tone down the land by about 10% it would probably look more natural.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Looks familiar. I was wondering how long that piano would last.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I think I recall a Woot Fatigue photo of it too.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

HookShot posted:

No, I think it's the direction of the light. It's really obvious that the light is landing on the opposite side of the rocks that the sun is facing. I think also the bottom half is too bright compared to the sky. Not by much, but if you tone down the land by about 10% it would probably look more natural.

Yeah after staring at your picture for far too long, I do agree about the lighting. I think what bothers me is that lit-up cloud on the right. Get rid of that (and darken the foreground a bit) and it'd be a lot harder to tell.

So it was an HDR after all, I seem to remember you doing a bunch of exposure blending a while back which is why I mentioned it. Anyway, after seeing your original shot, I'm not sure why you went and changed the sky on it. Give it some contrast/do some burning in the shadow areas, maybe punch up the color a bit and you'd have a pretty drat good shot on your hands.

Speaking of garish/overprocessed landscape shots, we should post our best examples of them. What do you guys think of this?

I'm a bit embarrassed uploading this but I kinda like it, in a "guilty pleasure" sort of way. Let's see if I remember all the horrible ways I overprocesed this:

- square cropped it then moved the clouds accordingly, so they fit the composition better
- obviously adjusted the temperature to a cool 3200K or thereabouts; blended the sunrise glow back to its original state, I think
- dodged/burned the gently caress out of those clouds
- transformed/distorted the dock so the lines were all parallel, then masked/cloned the area around it back to normal (something that always bothered me about the original shot is that I couldn't get the drat thing to look straight without mangling everything else)

For reference, this is the "official" version of the shot:

atomicthumbs - Was the original really underexposed? It looks quite grainy for 125 ASA film.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 30, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Smekerman posted:

atomicthumbs - Was the original really underexposed? It looks quite grainy for 125 ASA film.

I've always gotten nothing but unpleasant grain from FP4, even in medium format. Apparently 35mm is not the exception :(

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Grain shows up if the film is pushed either in the scanning/printing or the development process. I don't really think it's the film itself, though I don't have much experience with FP4. I'm assuming your film is still fresh? Do you develop it yourself? How do your negatives look? If they're pale or see-through then they're underexposed or the film itself is underdeveloped.

If you still have a roll of film in your camera, I'd try maybe overexposing a few shots and see how those come out. The camera's lightmeter might be gone.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Smekerman posted:

Grain shows up if the film is pushed either in the scanning/printing or the development process. I don't really think it's the film itself, though I don't have much experience with FP4. I'm assuming your film is still fresh? Do you develop it yourself? How do your negatives look? If they're pale or see-through then they're underexposed or the film itself is underdeveloped.

If you still have a roll of film in your camera, I'd try maybe overexposing a few shots and see how those come out. The camera's lightmeter might be gone.

The negatives look nice and dense; I had it lab developed. Maybe the grain comes from them.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
For some reason I've really been on a national park kick over the last two years. Recently trying to get more into photography, but finding landscape shots kind of difficult. Anyways, my first trip with the camera was to Alaska, this is from Denali National Park:

IMG_3061 by herd of mongeese, on Flickr

mongeese fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 30, 2012

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 29, 2020

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Smekerman posted:

Yeah after staring at your picture for far too long, I do agree about the lighting. I think what bothers me is that lit-up cloud on the right. Get rid of that (and darken the foreground a bit) and it'd be a lot harder to tell.

So it was an HDR after all, I seem to remember you doing a bunch of exposure blending a while back which is why I mentioned it. Anyway, after seeing your original shot, I'm not sure why you went and changed the sky on it. Give it some contrast/do some burning in the shadow areas, maybe punch up the color a bit and you'd have a pretty drat good shot on your hands.
The HDR technique I'm using is based on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtV9dWyN7JM. It's basically "HDR without the halos and clownpuke", which is what I was trying to do with the exposure blending all along. I don't think that's the problem with this particular shot.

I bracketed based on exposure readings, the sunset was happening right in the gap of the formations, things were coming together nicely -- and then I drove off!

I had this stupid idea "hey there are some other formations just up the road! (30 minutes away) Maybe I can catch the sunset over there too!" Within 10 minutes, the clouds behind me lit up, poked a rainbow through, but by then I was out in a field. I eventually pulled over, got the cloud shot, and got the one shot of the culvert right before it got dark.

Moral of the story:
When you're in an interesting place, and interesting light is happening, STAY THE gently caress THERE. And if you screw up that part, don't use Photoshop in anger trying to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Haha, I had that happen to me as well. I think being burned like that is why I try checking out spots I've never been to at least a couple hours in advance, that way I have enough time to find a good composition and figure out how the light is going to fall at sunset and whether it's worth me staying in that spot or finding a new one. Of course, sometimes my predictions turn out totally wrong and I end up in a lovely spot at sunrise/sunset. Meh. Even then, though, I just stick with it. I'd rather get something as opposed to nothing at all.

And I wasn't saying that "oh hey it's HDR" like it was a bad thing, I use it quite often myself.