Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Halloween Jack posted:

Laird's Old Apple Brandy isn't bonded; it's 80 proof. I've heard they make a bonded that's good, but we don't get it here, unfortunately.
right, it's good stuff. The 8 and 12 year aren't cut with vodka either, to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

That is absolutley gorgeous! Where can I find one of those for my collection?
Ok, more like 5 for my collection actually.

Here you go. There's a bit of a look at some different types and sizes, but most of them link to stores in the UK, so you might have to get them sent back across the pond. The ones we use were brought back from Australia by another one of my bartenders, so again, not much help there for you.

They look great behind a bar though, and it's something you can actually display instead of having a bunch of ratty looking bitters bottles with their labels half soaking wet.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

nrr posted:

Here you go. There's a bit of a look at some different types and sizes, but most of them link to stores in the UK, so you might have to get them sent back across the pond. The ones we use were brought back from Australia by another one of my bartenders, so again, not much help there for you.

They look great behind a bar though, and it's something you can actually display instead of having a bunch of ratty looking bitters bottles with their labels half soaking wet.

Only downside is that the cork stoppers suck, warp easily, and the spouts on the top tend to clog easily and are inconsistent in the amount of liquid that comes out when you dash them.

One of my coworkers got a similar set of bottles/dashers a while back, and while they looked cool, he ended up pitching them after a few months since they were a pain to use at work. So cool stuff to impress people with for a home bar, but definitely not something for regular use. I'd repurpose an eye-dropper or an old bitter bottle any day.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Tom Rakewell posted:

Only downside is that the cork stoppers suck, warp easily, and the spouts on the top tend to clog easily and are inconsistent in the amount of liquid that comes out when you dash them.

One of my coworkers got a similar set of bottles/dashers a while back, and while they looked cool, he ended up pitching them after a few months since they were a pain to use at work. So cool stuff to impress people with for a home bar, but definitely not something for regular use. I'd repurpose an eye-dropper or an old bitter bottle any day.

Cocktail Kingdom sells four that aren't based on cork toppers.

tboeske01
Apr 6, 2011

in the end the addition of charles barkley did improve the amount of dunk in the proposed replacement picture as expected, even exceeding our more modest projections easily.
lately I have been drinking a concoction off the Hendricks site. Its called the Meadow Mule. This drink has a peculiar taste, and its good. I can't describe how though. Before I continue I will post the recipie.

Ingredients
1½ parts Hendrick's Gin
½ part elderflower cordial
1 part apple juice
ginger ale
tall cucumber slice

Preperation Instructions
Build ingredients over ice in a long glass and finish with ginger ale. Garnish with a tall slice of cucumber.

When I drink this i can't quite place it. It has such a unique taste. I can't describe it. I would suggets trying this conction.

Someone was asking for a good punch. Here is the recipie for one my roomate and I made on the 4th of July.

Maidenhead Punch
2 bottle(s) Champagne (2 - 26oz. bottles)
1 bottle(s) Gin (1 - 26oz. bottle)
1 bottle(s) Strawberry Schnapps (1 - 13oz. bottle)
1 bottle(s) 7-Up (1 - 2 litre bottle)
2 can(s) Cranberry Juice (Concentrate - thawed)
2 Lemons (Sliced)
1 pound Cherries

We changed up a couple things.We chopped up some watermellon, pineapple, and tossed in one pound of real cherries. Once the group drank the puch we took the fruit out tossed it in a bowl. We then covered it in whipped cream and the ate it like a fruit salad. Before you murder me for using the wrong recipie for fruit salad. Please understand that the recipie I remember from my youth was whipped cream and fruit mixed. I am not to be held responsable for anything that happens while you are under the influence of this libation. This list is not limited to to; throwing things at your neighbors, your girfriend discovering that she is a lesbian, or streaking. have a nice day.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Vegetable Melange posted:

right, it's good stuff. The 8 and 12 year aren't cut with vodka either, to my knowledge.

This is the Laird's you want for cocktails. This reminds me I need to get some to start making fall cocktails. I usually take whatever cocktail I'd make with Rittenhouse Rye, and swap in the Apple Brandy.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The Spaghetti Western

1 oz Tequila
3/4 oz Amaretto
1/2 oz Gran Marnier or equivalent
Fill with Grapefruit juice

Is this a drink? Because I made it and it's delicious. I still want to play with the ratios a bit, but for now, this is good. My friend suggested the name. We're both big fans of the Man with No Name trilogy, and it immediately stuck.

P.S. I made my first ramos gin fizz the other day and it was delectable.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Rotten Cookies posted:

The Spaghetti Western

1 oz Tequila
3/4 oz Amaretto

Is this a drink? Because I made it and it's delicious. I still want to play with the ratios a bit, but for now, this is good. My friend suggested the name. We're both big fans of the Man with No Name trilogy, and it immediately stuck.

P.S. I made my first ramos gin fizz the other day and it was delectable.

Maybe swap the amaretto for simple syrup or the Gran Marnier for a more generic triple sec? You've got four flavors at the moment, maybe reduce it to three and add in some orange zest?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Rotten Cookies posted:

The Spaghetti Western

1 oz Tequila
3/4 oz Amaretto

Is this a drink? Because I made it and it's delicious. I still want to play with the ratios a bit, but for now, this is good. My friend suggested the name.

I made a drink with this name the other day, I found the recipe here.

2 ounces Hudson Manhattan rye
3/4 ounce Solerno
1/2 ounce Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
2 dashes Angostura bitters

I didn't have blood orange liqueur, so I used Combier. It was really good, sweet and spicy. A nice, complex, slow sipper.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm playing around with the Heering. Last night I tried

1 oz. dark rum
3/4 oz. Heering
1/4 oz. Tuaca
1/2 oz. fresh lime

I might would replace the Tuaca with Cointreau and and add a little Peychaud's next time.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

nrr posted:

Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

^ ^ ^
:toot::krakken::toot:

Tom Rakewell posted:

The only problem I've really had so far out of those is inconsistent dashes. I've got a couple of different bottles that I use. Cork stoppered ones for my couple of most used bitters, that so far haven't warped or clogged, and a screw top one for dashing absinthe. That one lets out a bit more liquid but since absinthe isn't quite as volatile aromatically as bitters, it's not a problem.

As for the inconsistent dashing amounts, I don't find regular bitters bottles to be tremendously consistent anyway. Basically, most of them are quite dark and you can eyeball whether you got one drop or a couple and can adjust as needed. The cork stoppers I've got are actually way tighter in the spout and dispense less liquid. So if I need more I can add it, whereas quite often I'll get a small stream out of a regular bitters bottle which kind of sucks when I only want one drop.

YMMV but for me the change has been pretty painless so far. If you do run into problems, you could always try appropriating a regular rubber collared spout, or maybe trying to convert a synthetic cork.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I regret being out of town during the whole Everclear jello shot thing. I guess that happens though.

The other night I had a friend over and offered him a drink. He didn't know what he wanted, so I told him to give me an adjective, any adjective, and I'd make a drink for it. I was expecting like "sharp" or something. He said "seething," which is in fact a verb, but whatever. The drink I came up with was actually pretty satisfying.

Seething Cocktail

2 oz. cognac
1/2 oz. Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
3/4 oz. lemon juice
dash simple
Campari

Shake cognac, Domaine de Canton, lemon, and sugar together in a mixing tin. Strain into an appropriate glass, then dribble in just enough Campari over the back of a spoon to give the drink a bit of a red glow near the bottom.

The warmth of the ginger and the bitter bite of the Campari, along with the redness at the bottom, gave it a distinctly seething character, to my mind. I also feel like cognac is a very resentful spirit. I'd make it again.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

I regret being out of town during the whole Everclear jello shot thing. I guess that happens though.

The other night I had a friend over and offered him a drink. He didn't know what he wanted, so I told him to give me an adjective, any adjective, and I'd make a drink for it. I was expecting like "sharp" or something. He said "seething," which is in fact a verb, but whatever. The drink I came up with was actually pretty satisfying.

Seething Cocktail

2 oz. cognac
1/2 oz. Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
3/4 oz. lemon juice
dash simple
Campari

Shake cognac, Domaine de Canton, lemon, and sugar together in a mixing tin. Strain into an appropriate glass, then dribble in just enough Campari over the back of a spoon to give the drink a bit of a red glow near the bottom.

The warmth of the ginger and the bitter bite of the Campari, along with the redness at the bottom, gave it a distinctly seething character, to my mind. I also feel like cognac is a very resentful spirit. I'd make it again.

The Cognac was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I decided to experiment a little with a cocktail last night:

1.5 oz gin (Hendrick's used)
.5 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin)
.25 oz absinthe (Vieux Carre)
2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
1-2 drops of rose water
Shake with ice and strain into a glass, garnish with citrus peel (I used lemon).

My reaction: it was middling. I probably should have just rinsed the glass with absinthe rather than mixing in a whole quarter ounce; it's really strong stuff and overpowered most of the other flavors. Fresher vermouth couldn't hurt either. Also somehow--I don't know why--I think grapefruit peel would have been a better garnish than the lemon. It was interesting at any rate, and I think some tinkering could make it quite a bit more palatable.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Meaty Ore posted:

1.5 oz gin (Hendrick's used)
.5 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin)
.25 oz absinthe (Vieux Carre)
2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
1-2 drops of rose water
Shake with ice and strain into a glass, garnish with citrus peel (I used lemon).

I'll try this tonight with your proposed changes, as I think absinthe is at it's best just rinsing the glass. It's kind of like the anchovy of cocktails. I'm a big fan of a grapefruit peel with sweet vermouth, so that sounds good too. Reading this I can't believe I've never tried anything with Hendricks and rose water before, so you're on to something there. I'm wondering how essential the Peychaud's are though.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Klauser posted:

I'll try this tonight with your proposed changes, as I think absinthe is at it's best just rinsing the glass. It's kind of like the anchovy of cocktails. I'm a big fan of a grapefruit peel with sweet vermouth, so that sounds good too. Reading this I can't believe I've never tried anything with Hendricks and rose water before, so you're on to something there. I'm wondering how essential the Peychaud's are though.

I imagine a big old grapefruit peel, twisted and expressed over the glass, would add the right amount of bittering citrus if you killed the Peychaud's. I'm imagining that this drink might be better with that freshness, rather than the musty zing of Peychaud's.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Made the 1966 Cosmopolitan tonight, after waiting overnight for the raspberry tincture and hunting down orange blossom water. It seems fruity cocktails aren't super popular in this thread, but I think this is a very good take on the cosmo – not too sweet, and very aromatic.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
If you are looking for something else to do with that raspberry tincture.

1.5oz gin
.75oz lemon juice
.75oz tincture
1 egg white

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
As much as I love gin, and this tincture, I'm not crazy about gin cocktails with egg white in them. I think it's the mouthfeel, mostly.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I only use egg with brown spirits, never with clear. The only exception is the Ramos Gin Fizz, but that drink is, ah, unique enough to be a valid exception.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I made my boyfriend something decent with, I think, bourbon and an egg yolk (along with other stuff). Egg white and gin drinks are common enough, though, and I can't really get into them. I don't think I'll have much trouble using up the tincture though! Pretty tasty all on its own.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Jahoodie posted:

I imagine a big old grapefruit peel, twisted and expressed over the glass, would add the right amount of bittering citrus if you killed the Peychaud's. I'm imagining that this drink might be better with that freshness, rather than the musty zing of Peychaud's.

I made the drink once with the Peychaud's, and once without. They definitely made a difference, and made it taste more like a complete drink. The one without clearly had something missing. It was just way too simple. Both had glasses misted with absinthe and an expressed grapefruit peel. I felt both of those elements worked really well. Drinking it now I still can't help but feel it's incomplete. Maybe something to work with the floral qualities.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Just made orgeat for the first time using this recipe! I know the obvious choice is a mai tai, but are there any other cocktails with it I should check out?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Cameron's Kick is a good orgeat-forward cocktail. I also really like a Trinidad Sour for orgeat.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Those are great. I also like the Japanese. I believe this is the first cocktail where the name did not indicate what was in it.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Klauser posted:

I believe this is the first cocktail where the name did not indicate what was in it.

:raise:

C'mon man.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nrr posted:

:raise:

C'mon man.

He means chronologically, and while it shows up in JT's book, I'd argue that the Sazarac is both older and slightly more confusingly named, even if it is a basic old fashioned variation.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Klauser posted:

Those are great. I also like the Japanese. I believe this is the first cocktail where the name did not indicate what was in it.

Aw man I can't believe I forgot the Japanese Cocktail. I went through a period where I was drinking those all the time.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

He means chronologically, and while it shows up in JT's book, I'd argue that the Sazarac is both older and slightly more confusingly named, even if it is a basic old fashioned variation.

Well, yeah I guess that'd make more sense, but even still I'd be with you on the Sazerac having it beat.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I don't know...I've heard one origin story of the Sazerac that claims it was named after the brand name of the spirit used in it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Klauser posted:

I don't know...I've heard one origin story of the Sazerac that claims it was named after the brand name of the spirit used in it.
sazeracs were originally made with cognac (try it sometime but lean back on the syrup) and sazerac rye has been around less than a hundred years, I believe.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

sazeracs were originally made with cognac (try it sometime but lean back on the syrup) and sazerac rye has been around less than a hundred years, I believe.

Yeah, that's the story I've heard. Whiskey exchange has heard the same tale as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can someone give a rundown on the differences between Angostura and Peychaud's and a general guideline for when to use one as opposed to the other?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Angostura is spicy and thick-tasting, with strong notes of cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon. Peychaud's is lighter and a bit sweeter, dominated by anise.

If a cocktail just calls for "bitters" use Angostura. The ones that need Peychaud's will specify. When I'm experimenting I like to follow David Wondrich, and use Peychaud's for brandy cocktails; otherwise I usually use Angostura. In general Angostura is good at holding its own with strong, assertive flavors, while Peychaud's is a bit more delicate, in my opinion.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I had a craving for an Old Fashioned tonight. I had all the essentials, with the glaring exemption of a fresh orange.
However, I did have a couple Clementines on hand.
It turns out that a Clementine Old Fashioned is delicious.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 19, 2012

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Kenning posted:

Angostura is spicy and thick-tasting, with strong notes of cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon. Peychaud's is lighter and a bit sweeter, dominated by anise.

If a cocktail just calls for "bitters" use Angostura. The ones that need Peychaud's will specify. When I'm experimenting I like to follow David Wondrich, and use Peychaud's for brandy cocktails; otherwise I usually use Angostura. In general Angostura is good at holding its own with strong, assertive flavors, while Peychaud's is a bit more delicate, in my opinion.

Speaking of bitters and old fashioneds, this is my current favorite and it sucks without the peychaud's AND the angostura together.

3 oz Buffalo Trace Bourbon (works with four roses also)
large natural sugar cube
1/4 of a small orange, with 2 large strips of peel sliced off
1 splash angostura bitters
2-3 splashes peychaud's bitters

Muddle sugar cube with bitters in the bottom of a shaker. drop in orange peel and muddle a few more times to bruise. Squeeze in the 1/4 wedge of orange juice (don't worry about every last drop) and drop in a ton of ice. Pour in the two shots of bourbon. Shake the crap out of it and pour over ice. Garnish with a wedge of orange and the other strip of orange peel. A natural maraschino tops it off if you want a touch more sweetness.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Y'all are overcomplicating the hell out of the Old Fashioned.

1-2 tsp simple syrup depending on taste
2-4 dashes angostura
2 oz rye or bourbon, but rye is way the hell better

Swirl the sugar and bitters in the bottom of the glass before you add the whiskey. Ice is optional. Garnish with a lemon or orange twist.

I've been making it with Rittenhouse as my "I just got home from work and I'm loving tired" drink, and I honestly don't see how it could be improved in any way.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Please don't muddle fruit in your old fashioned, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Bourbon, ango, peychaud is the holy trinity, respek.