Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

My friend's Blackberry Curve is constantly roaming here in Chicago, even though I'm right next to her with a Evo3d with a strong signal. She's taken it to two Sprint stores and has gotten useless answers: one said the antenna was bad, the other said the tower replacement thing meant she would roam a lot. Could this be a PRL issue? If so, how do I fix it, I googled a bit for settings but gave up pretty quick.

It could be the area, given that like others have said there apparently are signal issues in Chicago (I say apparently because I don't live there). When sprint is upgrading a tower it is off and on from what I understand, so one will get weak signal or pockets of roaming whenever they upgrade towers in ones area.

Honestly, in this case she has a curve, in willing to bet a 8530 or at best 9330. Tell her to get away from that lovely phone. If she has insurance she should have the option in the system to swap to a Bold 9650, although it varies on how willing a rep will be on actually doing it. They are cracking down on exchange numbers lately, and very much trying to keep them lower.

If they do a diagnostic test I guarantee you it does nothing. Have them run a service tender report, that's a useful tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

It could be the area, given that like others have said there apparently are signal issues in Chicago (I say apparently because I don't live there). When sprint is upgrading a tower it is off and on from what I understand, so one will get weak signal or pockets of roaming whenever they upgrade towers in ones area.

Honestly, in this case she has a curve, in willing to bet a 8530 or at best 9330. Tell her to get away from that lovely phone. If she has insurance she should have the option in the system to swap to a Bold 9650, although it varies on how willing a rep will be on actually doing it. They are cracking down on exchange numbers lately, and very much trying to keep them lower.

If they do a diagnostic test I guarantee you it does nothing. Have them run a service tender report, that's a useful tool.

Yeah, I don't think it's the area, since I'm on Sprint too, in the same office a few feet away, and I'm totally fine. And it's not like there should be handoff issues when stuck in one place. She doesn't have TEP though and is broke, hence having the lovely phone in the first place. I'll ask about the service tender thing though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I bought my mom the Kyocera Rise. It's a nice little phone for $70 (With $50 rebate)

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Got my extended battery for my Galaxy Nexus today... The new cover doesn't seem to fit right. It looks like it's bulging out in the middle on one side (near the volume buttons). It also appears to "float" above the camera hole. Anyone else see this?

Honestly the old cover seems to fit better. Are there overheating issues if I keep using the old cover?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

gman14msu posted:

Got my extended battery for my Galaxy Nexus today... The new cover doesn't seem to fit right. It looks like it's bulging out in the middle on one side (near the volume buttons). It also appears to "float" above the camera hole. Anyone else see this?

Honestly the old cover seems to fit better. Are there overheating issues if I keep using the old cover?

Are you saying the extended battery fits under the standard cover? Are the batteries the same size?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Are you saying the extended battery fits under the standard cover? Are the batteries the same size?

The extended battery is bigger but the difference is pretty tiny from what I've seen in pictures. Haven't gotten mine yet, when it comes in I can take pictures.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yeah it even fits better than the replacement cover that comes with the battery. The replacement cover appears to be the same size externally but, for lack of a better way to describe it, has extra plastic on the inside at certain points. Specifically a large square right on top of the battery. That's why I was concerned that the extra plastic is some kind of heat reduction thing and using the regular cover will somehow be bad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation

gman14msu posted:

Yeah it even fits better than the replacement cover that comes with the battery. The replacement cover appears to be the same size externally but, for lack of a better way to describe it, has extra plastic on the inside at certain points. Specifically a large square right on top of the battery. That's why I was concerned that the extra plastic is some kind of heat reduction thing and using the regular cover will somehow be bad.

That's pretty goddamn awesome, even if the mAh difference isn't anything massive.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Duckman2008 posted:

I pretty much don't get a signal anywhere in Chicago, except for the random block or two every so often where it's perfect. It really sucks, and I'm thinking about ditching Sprint once my contract is up even though it's SERO because what's the point of a smartphone that can't get a signal? Or maybe just jailbreaking and forcing it to roam all the time.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Well I figured I would get on the free battery train while it last.

The telesales person I talked to seemed pretty desperate to unload extra batteries. She talked me in to taking 5 of them. Seriously, she was like "Well, do you have any co-workers who have a Galaxy Nexus? You could get extra ones for them, too"

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Well I figured I would get on the free battery train while it last.

The telesales person I talked to seemed pretty desperate to unload extra batteries. She talked me in to taking 5 of them. Seriously, she was like "Well, do you have any co-workers who have a Galaxy Nexus? You could get extra ones for them, too"
That's funny, I saw that people XDA were getting multiples and I asked for one extra for my roommate's Verizon Galaxy Nexus (and I didn't give "giving a Verizon customer a handout" as a reason), and the telesales person I got wouldn't budge on letting me have only one.

gman14msu posted:

My cover doesn't bulge on one side, but like yours it isn't flush like the original against the camera oval area. There's about 1mm of play if I press below the oval.

I tried to get the old cover to fit and it wasn't what I'd call a good fit at all. It goes on but it feels ready to pop off, and you can see small gaps where the clips connected but the edge between the clips isn't flush with the back of the body of the phone.

All I can comment on is the fitment as I only just installed my battery today at lunch and haven't charged it or anything. I honestly don't know if I'd notice the 15% greater capacity but I guess we'll see.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

gman14msu posted:

I don't see how you can think this, after trying it out myself. With the extended battery, the original back cover bulges noticeably near the bottom and one or two clips on the side don't fully engage. The replacement cover is hardly any different anyway, all it really does is fill out the little scoop that is near the bottom on the original. Feels like it goes with the phone, unlike some of the more extreme hunchback replacement covers for the double+ capacity batteries.

The weight difference was immediately apparent though. Not bad, but you can tell. I charged mine from 75% when it came at work yesterday, and after taking it off the charger around 4 PM yesterday, it is just now at around 25%. Pretty decent improvement for $12 so far. We'll see after a couple full charges.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My signal in north east Omaha seems to be at full bars every single time now.

Except MMS has apparently poo poo the bed to go with such good reception.

Is there a number I can call or something I can do to my phone (NS4G)?

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Skeezy posted:

I bought my mom the Kyocera Rise. It's a nice little phone for $70 (With $50 rebate)

I would probably not recommend any Kyocera phone after using the Echo for the past year. The build quality is super cheap, over the past couple of months there have been alot of battery pulls, phone won't wake up from sleep mode, battery is awful (don't even bother with the dual screens), super laggy, etc...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

dundun posted:

I would probably not recommend any Kyocera phone after using the Echo for the past year. The build quality is super cheap, over the past couple of months there have been alot of battery pulls, phone won't wake up from sleep mode, battery is awful (don't even bother with the dual screens), super laggy, etc...

Eh. She's happy with it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation

ThermoPhysical posted:

My signal in north east Omaha seems to be at full bars every single time now.

Except MMS has apparently poo poo the bed to go with such good reception.

Is there a number I can call or something I can do to my phone (NS4G)?

Well, call 911 first because you've probably been shot. Then, you probably can call Customer Service to see if maybe some toggle for picture messages is off on your account.

I didn't catch it earlier but if you flashed a ROM off XDA it may just be a feature.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Well, call 911 first because you've probably been shot. Then, you probably can call Customer Service to see if maybe some toggle for picture messages is off on your account.

I didn't catch it earlier but if you flashed a ROM off XDA it may just be a feature.

Yeeaaah. These shootings are getting crazier with each day.

I'll probably call CS tomorrow since I haven't flashed any ROMs or anything. It just randomly started recently.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeeaaah. These shootings are getting crazier with each day.

I'll probably call CS tomorrow since I haven't flashed any ROMs or anything. It just randomly started recently.

I have a GNex, as does my mother, and I was able to get a picture message off to her but we were both around 72/Pacific at the time, which would put it on a different tower from where you are. It very well could be a tower thing, since you haven't hosed with the phone, and the account toggle thing is probably very unlikely.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

I have a GNex, as does my mother, and I was able to get a picture message off to her but we were both around 72/Pacific at the time, which would put it on a different tower from where you are. It very well could be a tower thing, since you haven't hosed with the phone, and the account toggle thing is probably very unlikely.

I'm thinking of getting a GNex off of eBay or Craigslist instead of using my upgrade for one.

Wouldn't this just let me stay on Sprint come May 2014 but not use an upgrade (and also not be under contract anymore)?

Omaha won't have LTE until 2014 anyway and the "Nexus" line doesn't really work on CDMA so I'm not sure why I'd stick around for another 2 years bound by a contract with a phone that will never get updates on time waiting for something that won't be around until the last half of my contract.

If things don't get better, I can always just jump ship then with no ETF, right?

Anyway, I think it might just be a tower thing. I'll call Sprint before work tomorrow and see.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm thinking of getting a GNex off of eBay or Craigslist instead of using my upgrade for one.

Wouldn't this just let me stay on Sprint come May 2014 but not use an upgrade (and also not be under contract anymore)?

Omaha won't have LTE until 2014 anyway and the "Nexus" line doesn't really work on CDMA so I'm not sure why I'd stick around for another 2 years bound by a contract with a phone that will never get updates on time waiting for something that won't be around until the last half of my contract.

If things don't get better, I can always just jump ship then with no ETF, right?

Anyway, I think it might just be a tower thing. I'll call Sprint before work tomorrow and see.

Correct on all counts. Buying a phone unsubsidized doesn't do anything to your current contract, but you aren't signing a new contract either.

One thing you could do is flash a Verizon PRL to your phone, you might get your MMS messages that way.

On the other hand, since its roaming usage to Sprint, if you use too much data they will cut you off, cancel your service, and waive the ETF.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Extended battery for GNex is really nice so far. The back cover is most certainly not flush with the camera though.

The added weight is a con, but then I know there are people out there who hold the opinion that a phone should feel like a German car door closing and be nice and weighty for some bizarre loving reason - so maybe you'll like it.

Battery life seems to be much more than 15% extra. My old battery couldn't have been THAT tired but this feels more a long the lines of ~30% more life.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is there anyone here that can dig around and see if Sprint has any covert WP8 device in testing or anything that might brighten the future posiblity of them actually having a Launch WP8 device? The rumors from back in the spring about an LTE Nokia device in testing is still the last anyone has heard of anything... :(

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I was thinking about getting the rise for my 11 almost 12 year old daughter. I think it would be a good device for her.

She is on v mobile on the 25 per month and doesn't need anything fancy at all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

atomicvocabulary posted:

I was thinking about getting the rise for my 11 almost 12 year old daughter. I think it would be a good device for her.

She is on v mobile on the 25 per month and doesn't need anything fancy at all.

Basic rule of thumb : don't buy Kyocera, LG or ZTE.

P.S. Fantastic avatar.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Is there anyone here that can dig around and see if Sprint has any covert WP8 device in testing or anything that might brighten the future posiblity of them actually having a Launch WP8 device? The rumors from back in the spring about an LTE Nokia device in testing is still the last anyone has heard of anything... :(
Actually, it seems that every carrier except for Sprint is testing WP8 devices. http://wmpoweruser.com/sprint-windows-phone-8-handsets-still-mia/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

td4guy posted:

Actually, it seems that every carrier except for Sprint is testing WP8 devices. http://wmpoweruser.com/sprint-windows-phone-8-handsets-still-mia/

Just great. They were testing a device back in March or so, but if that chart is anything accurate, it is either over and they either really are not testing one at all now, or are being drat covert somehow...

Either way I'm pissed but what am I gonna do? I'm not going to pay more for less just for.a phone.

I could always get one unsigned and just throw in a prepaid sim for testing purposes I guess.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just great. They were testing a device back in March or so, but if that chart is anything accurate, it is either over and they either really are not testing one at all now, or are being drat covert somehow...

Either way I'm pissed but what am I gonna do? I'm not going to pay more for less just for.a phone.

I could always get one unsigned and just throw in a prepaid sim for testing purposes I guess.

There have been indications that Sprint will pickup windows 8, but the incentive for Sprint to release another Windows phone is just low. I'd say you'll see one, but probably not much fanfare behind it and probably not first to launch.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I figure that, but it sucks to have the same thing happen again. It wasn't until June 2011 we finally got the Arrive (and Verizon got the Trophy) due to the CDMA limitation. Though the Arrive was pretty well supported by Sprint up until just after the mango update give or take.

It is weird since the Arrive continued down the business oriented path with the hardware keyboards following the TP2, TP, Titan, and 6700. Sad they may actually end it here unless HTC has something up it's sleeve.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

I figure that, but it sucks to have the same thing happen again. It wasn't until June 2011 we finally got the Arrive (and Verizon got the Trophy) due to the CDMA limitation. Though the Arrive was pretty well supported by Sprint up until just after the mango update give or take.

It is weird since the Arrive continued down the business oriented path with the hardware keyboards following the TP2, TP, Titan, and 6700. Sad they may actually end it here unless HTC has something up it's sleeve.

Yeah, I don't have the link on me, but a Sprint exec went on the record and said that the Arrive was the most returned device Sprint has had. It actually was a great phone, I used it myself until recently, but honestly its at the point where all Sprint and other carriers really need is Android and iOS. It might carry a device of other platforms, but I doubt it would be a focus. The excess inventory of phones like the Arrive and the Echo is staggering, plus no one at Sprint knows how to troubleshoot windows phone since no one bought said phone.

So basically, if you want a Windows Phone, you may want to consider ATT.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yep I saw that. It is weird since it was higher rated than the iPhone on Sprints site.

http://wmpoweruser.com/sprint-blames-htc-arrive-sales-performance-returns-on-user-experience-may-be-hinting-at-timeline-for-apollo-roll-out/

I can blame partially both Microsoft and Sprint for really not putting much effort into the sales and training for the device. While the guys at the local Corporate store had one and liked it. Even when a basic mom who wanted a simple smartphone came in while I was there, it was straight to the Samsung Epic 4G at the time. And not 20min before that another user was in there complaining about her Epic 4G not being able to hang up a call.

When it comes to say transferring contacts and such, Microsoft should have trained the techs on how to get them off any current device at the time (be it Android,Windows Mobile, dumbphone, etc) and get it online to either Gmail, hotmail, etc. That was the only hard transition thing I saw for basic users. Outside of that, after a few minutes of account creation and simply showing how to longpress to move tiles, pin tiles, and see hidden options, even my mom picked up Windows Phone rather quickly.

I feel the sad part is since it is "Different" then the flood of icons and clunky but linear menu tree system which ios and android uses. If people would actually give it a true shot, and actually "try" and discover what does what, then they would convert.

It is amazing how much pain and suffering people will put themselves through just to not have too much change.

I think this is why WP and W8 have such an uphill battle. While change is good, getting people to quit bitching and actually try something different isn't an easy thing once they have their stupid comfort zone. And the lack of Microsoft effort to really train both people and sales people on the devices really doesn't help matters.

They had a great marketing push for the Lumia before WP8 was announced, I really hope Theo push the hell out of the new stuff to get people to try it and hopefully stick with it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Windows Phone will not be successful because it isn't the iPhone and Samsung has the #2 spot with the Galaxy. Therefore you have two things:

1. It isn't cool or glamorous. Lack of apps adds to this.
2. There is no user base of friends to show people stuff (or show mom stuff) when issues happen.
3. The iphone is more customer friendly. I do like parts of windows phone, but the iPhone is better for most people.

So yeah, windows phone is just not going to be popular at this point unless something major changes. And either way, this isn't the Windows thread so I don't know why we are debating this.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

My mom got an Arrive about two months ago and likes it for its keyboard, that's literally what she bought it for, being able to do email and having a keyboard. She insisted on having a phone with a keyboard. It's a very average phone for a non-power user but I really wish she just got an iPhone and trusted me that she'd be able to type on it. Waste of an upgrade.

Last week she had to have it replaced for a USB port that went bad (oh and they couldn't figure out how to transfer her contacts from her old to new phone, they blamed the USB port but it did work at the correct angles, plus what about a bluetooth transfer or something?), and the worst part, she keeps asking me about apps for it :( At one point she said "well most of what I want apps for has a website so I can just use a browser for it", which I think she gave up on.

My grandma got a 4S on AT&T long ago, the member of my family who needs the most tech support, and she's never had to bother me about her iPhone, she does email on it and downloads apps and has made it do everything she wants on it. Whereas my mom's company changed her Exchange password and she couldn't figure out how to get her email working on her Arrive again, it was actually hard to figure out and I'm still not sure what voodoo she did but it eventually started working again after she did something or other to it.

Ugh, I don't like thinking about the Arrive. I really wish I could have figured out something else for her. If I knew something like this existed maybe I could have convinced her:

DanAdamKOF fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 24, 2012

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I like my Arrive. I wouldn't recommend it to a hardcore phone user but I think its a great phone for a mom or someone coming from a dumbphone that doesn't want to pay the premium to purchase an iPhone. I tried convincing my mom to buy one a while back because of its ease of use, cheap price and HW keyboard. She ended up getting a BB Style :gonk:

Supposedly Dan Hesse said on a call this week they're still not sure if they will carry WP8 or not. Meaning don't expect a phone for 6+ months. http://www.informationweek.com/smb/mobile/verizon-to-back-windows-phone-8-sprint-u/240006025

I really like the WP OS and I think WP8 should fix the main problem people have, app support. Microsoft claims you can port a Windows 8 metro app to WP8 pretty easily. If this is true WP8 should get most apps since everyone should be developing for Windows 8, but we will see.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Now what you told me about your mom is downright tech lazyness vs design flaw. It is like people choose to be ignorant against WP just because it is different and Micro$oft when in fact it has a much more friendly settings menu to access things like email+accounts settings. Also was that transfering her contacts from one Arrive to the new one or from her old phone before that to the Arrive? If she had access to download apps, then her contacts were always backed up from the start, that goes to show how bad the training for sales people is (or the lack of care to learn).

I had a bunch more typed out but I don't care to make this into another WP vs the world war. Waiting patiently for WP7.8/8.0....

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Now what you told me about your mom is downright tech lazyness vs design flaw. It is like people choose to be ignorant against WP just because it is different and Micro$oft when in fact it has a much more friendly settings menu to access things like email+accounts settings. Also was that transfering her contacts from one Arrive to the new one or from her old phone before that to the Arrive? If she had access to download apps, then her contacts were always backed up from the start, that goes to show how bad the training for sales people is (or the lack of care to learn).

I had a bunch more typed out but I don't care to make this into another WP vs the world war. Waiting patiently for WP7.8/8.0....

It was Arrive to Arrive.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Is anyone else having problems with 3G in the NYC area (specifically Brooklyn) for the past week or so? I usually get 4-5 bars in my house but lately I'd be lucky to get 2. When it's really bad I get kicked over to roaming. Oddly enough 4G works fine when I'm right outside.

What the hell are they doing? My battery is dying and I haven't done anything with it at all today.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well, obviously Windows Phone is the best thing ever, so since everyone now knows that I don't think we need to repeat it anymore.

And real answer time: cell phone stores use a machine called Cellebrite to move contacts. For dumb phones, Android phones and iPhones you just plug it in, click and setting and everything moves over. Its great. I always, always dread windows phone because you have to use Bluetooth to get it on the cellebrite, and it always crashes halfway through (and for GSM windows does not backup to SIM card). Thankfully I very rarely have to worry about this issue.

FlyingCheese posted:

Is anyone else having problems with 3G in the NYC area (specifically Brooklyn) for the past week or so? I usually get 4-5 bars in my house but lately I'd be lucky to get 2. When it's really bad I get kicked over to roaming. Oddly enough 4G works fine when I'm right outside.

What the hell are they doing? My battery is dying and I haven't done anything with it at all today.

They are probably working on a tower in your area network vision wise. Check the tower update map to see if there is one close by, or if you stop by a tech center the "service trender" report that they can pull up will say if there are towers down (it wouldn't say why, but again, I would assume tower upgrade).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 25, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Been using the Gnex extended battery a bit more.

Nearly 2 hours of screentime with about 30% left. Pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten that much life out of the old one.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Duckman2008 posted:

They are probably working on a tower in your area network vision wise. Check the tower update map to see if there is one close by, or if you stop by a tech center the "service trender" report that they can pull up will say if there are towers down (it wouldn't say why, but again, I would assume tower upgrade).

Sadly, according to the map there are no planned upgrades in my area anytime soon. :(

Though I swear I remember seeing a tower location closer to where I live last time I checked the map. Where did it go?

Edit: VVV Oh ok, thanks for the clarification.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

FlyingCheese posted:

Sadly, according to the map there are no planned upgrades in my area anytime soon. :(

Though I swear I remember seeing a tower location closer to where I live last time I checked the map. Where did it go?
The map does not display all towers. Maybe the one you remembered was worked on more than 6 months ago.