Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

DaWolfey posted:

I may be suffering from sense of humour failure but I found this profoundly disturbing.
They point out something genuinely horrible and lay out a few facts, such as the bank bailout costs but then you are shown a harmless silly right-on prank related to it.
It is reinforcing the idea that we are actually powerless and in fact it is openly mocking the very concept of revolutionary action and those who would do it by reducing it to a sub Trigger Happy TV sketch.

Also it wasn't funny.

It is very, very BBC3, yeah, now that I think about it the fact it doesn't really have any teeth is a bit disquieting. "Extraordinary rendition, ahahahahaha!". Oh well, let's move on. It doesn't have the teeth that satire needs. I want satire to be angry, really.

Still nowhere near as bad as it looked in the adverts though.

Noreaus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm happy that it exists purely because we've actually got some political satire back on TV. I hope it gets better and more aggressive as the writers get more confident with what they can do.

Besides, its nice to see someone on TV genuinely sending up the way the media treats any form of public protest.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I watched about five minutes before I turned it off. It wasn't funny, it was depressing.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Noreaus posted:

It is very, very BBC3, yeah, now that I think about it the fact it doesn't really have any teeth is a bit disquieting. "Extraordinary rendition, ahahahahaha!". Oh well, let's move on. It doesn't have the teeth that satire needs. I want satire to be angry, really.

Still nowhere near as bad as it looked in the adverts though.

What would you expect them to do? Any illegal/violent acts either wouldn't be broadcast and/or would have them arrested.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I saw that there was a character called 'Dale Maily' and my fingers cringed their way over to the escape key. Is that a fair indication of the show's merit or am I being overly cynical?

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
My wife and I are American adults in our mid twenties that like to live vicariously through fictional British youth. We loved The Inbetweeners, the first four seasons of Skins (didn't much care for the characters after that, but maybe it merits a second look), and Misfits. Although the major themes of these shows are all quite different: awkwardness and sex, drugs/depressing poo poo and sex, superpowers and sex... okay maybe not that different... Anyways, are there any recommendations for shows that we might enjoy?

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
You'll love Being Human. It's similar to Misfits being funny and having a quirky story you don't have to take too seriously, about a werewolf vampire and ghost that live together. Make sure you watch the UK one not the US remake. :)

If you like The Inbetweeners you're bound to love Peep Show, and well pretty much any english comedy that Linehan & Matthews, Bain & Armstrong, Morris and/or Iannucci worked on. 15 Storeys High is very 'english' if that makes any sense whatsoever, and generally considered one of the best comedy shows of recent time.

For more drama based stuff Luther and The Shadow Line are both great.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Gejimayu posted:

My wife and I are American adults in our mid twenties that like to live vicariously through fictional British youth. We loved The Inbetweeners, the first four seasons of Skins (didn't much care for the characters after that, but maybe it merits a second look), and Misfits. Although the major themes of these shows are all quite different: awkwardness and sex, drugs/depressing poo poo and sex, superpowers and sex... okay maybe not that different... Anyways, are there any recommendations for shows that we might enjoy?

I'd say check out Fresh Meat. It was only on last year, about a bunch of university kids who don't know each other but end up living in a shared house. I wasn't expecting much from it but as the series went on I thought it was actually really good. It's mostly comedy with some awkwardness and a bit of drama.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I see Channel 4 have remade Nighty Night, but under the new name Bad Sugar.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Gejimayu posted:

Todd and the Book of Pure Evil
, despite being Canadian (I think), has a kinda British sense of humour. It's also pretty awesome in a nu-skool Buffy/ Bill & Ted way.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Pablo Bluth posted:

I see Channel 4 have remade Nighty Night, but under the new name Bad Sugar.

Sounds pretty bad. Julia Davis has a new show called Hunderby that's coming to Sky Atlantic soon. She's pretty awesome, so can't wait to see some new work by her.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's not actually a remake; I was mocking the apparent type-casting of Julia Davis in Bad Sugar. The Independent has given it the thumbs up

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 23, 2012

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

UnquietDream posted:

What would you expect them to do? Any illegal/violent acts either wouldn't be broadcast and/or would have them arrested.
Did you ever see the Mark Thomas Comedy Product?
Comedy themed but with a lot of direct action. Not even always 100% clearly legal.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Caught an advert for 'Mount Pleasant' on Sky last night, isn't it usual for sitcom adverts to at least contain a joke in their highlights package?

Whatever happened to Harry Hill is on CH4 tonight 9pm. It's about the old Channel 4 Harry Hill show which was fantastic in S1, bit iffy in S2 and hated by the new head of Channel 4 so messed about with constantly S3.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's not actually a remake; I was mocking the apparent type-casting of Julia Davis in Bad Sugar. The Independent has given it the thumbs up

Yeah, I didn't think you meant an actual remake. How could you even improve on that show? The first season was amazing.

Giedroyc posted:

Caught an advert for 'Mount Pleasant' on Sky last night, isn't it usual for sitcom adverts to at least contain a joke in their highlights package?

A northern woman talked in a funny voice. That's comedy, right?

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sally Lindsay used to dress as a fella and do stand up with Peter Kay, so you know she's funny.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I watched an episode of Bad Education last night.

Not nearly as bad as some people have made it sounds. Some drat good lines in it.

The Revolution Will be Televised, however, was utterly loving terrible. It was somewhere between soulless satire and preachy left-wingedness. I mean, gently caress, I wouldn't consider myself right wing by any margin, but it just felt so smug and self-satisfied. "LOOK AT ALL THESE STUPID RIGHT-WINGERS, HOW SMART WE ARE MAKING THEM LOOK A BIT SILLY".

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
You sound fun. Come to the UK Politics thread.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Do I have to? I mean, I was having such a good day up to this point.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Zero Star posted:

My friend linked me to the new BBC3 series The Revolution Will Be Televised. He described it as "satire, like Monkey Dust but less animated" - the first episode isn't bad so far. You can see the opening news scene was influenced by The Day Today. Other than that it's been pretty watchable so far. It kinda feels like a UK version of Michael Moore's old show TV Nation, in a good way.

I watched the first 10 minutes, it was just lovely student politics 101. Absolutely awful.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Exactly. Comparing it to anything involving Chris Morris is a disservice TO Chris Morris.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its more along the lines of the very early days of the Mark Thomas Comedy Product where he was more scatter-shot and a little more playful with his activism.

Edit: Yeah, I read the previous posts now..

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

VogeGandire posted:

Do I have to? I mean, I was having such a good day up to this point.

Heh, fair enough, I can see why you'd say that :)

I hate nailing my colours to the mast like this but... right-wingers make it so easy to ridicule them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Just to clarify, I don't consider myself right-wing at all, I'm a Labour voter, but loving hell, TRWBT is just the most stereotypically student politics. Like trying to get into the Olympics wearing shirts saying something about "Dow Chemical poison the Olympics".

As Noreaus said, it lacks the teeth needed to be a good satire. Like they wanted to make The Day Today or whatever, but didn't really want to offend anyone.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Giedroyc posted:

It really makes you wonder why the US never chooses decent UK comedy stars to feature in their sitcoms, and when they do pick good ones they're always broken down shells of themselves way past their prime. I suppose since half of them think British comedy is still in 1976 they just don't realise.

Benny Hill is still unironically popular in the US. 'Nuff said.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Is it me or since Spitting Image went crap in the nineties proper political satire on British TV seems to crash and burn ninety percent of the time?

The latest handful of attempts have all been terrible. The Thick Of It is the only one that comes to mind as well executed.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Because most satirical shows would rather go for the cheapest, laziest gags rather than anything that genuinely approaches a skewering.

The Day Today had a sketch in which they, started a war, did some ludicrously over the top coverage of the conflict and then capped it off with an attempt at an emotive montage when the war ended. They even managed to cram in some silly puff pieces about both sides coming together to rescue a cat. Its funny, its insightful, its taking the piss and its loving brilliant.

Compare that to Broken News, a half hearted attempt to satirise contemporary news coverage that had a running gag in which the standing hosts just randomly walk all over the studio for no reason. Its the laziest and most boring gag you could go for about that style of presentation.

Also, go watch Mark Thomas you shits. Although I guarantee he'll be dismissed as smug too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Don't worry satire fans, the new series of The Thick of It starts again next month.

And it will be glorious.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Don't worry satire fans, the new series of The Thick of It starts again next month.

And it will be glorious.

I will eat the loving cheese for it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Charlie Brooker's A Touch of Cloth is on Sunday and Monday, Sky One, 9pm.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think I should finally get round to watching the thick of it really. It sounds like fun.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I will eat the loving cheese for it.

That's it, eat the loving cheese, Nicholson.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NaDy posted:

I think I should finally get round to watching the thick of it really. It sounds like fun.

You should. It is very good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NaDy posted:

Oh, it's fantastic. There's not even that much of it, so it's easy to catch up, you can watch it all in one day.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Watching "The revolution will be televised" now and I concur that its bloody awful. I dont see the problem with diplomats being exempt from the congestion charge either, is this really a thing folk are bothered about?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Plus wasn't it the FINNISH ambassador? Is hating the Finnish a thing? What have the Finns done?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Plus wasn't it the FINNISH ambassador? Is hating the Finnish a thing? What have the Finns done?

Shrugged and got on with things. Finns don't give a drat.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
The fact that the guy was let into Blair's house and was lent a stepladder was pretty funny, though the fact that This Security Is Not Very Good wasn't really the sketch's point.

I was talking to a housemate about it, he really liked it. He asked me if I felt that Brass Eye, for example, was really "angry". I couldn't really respond yes, but said that in picking targets like "The media's reaction to paedophiles", it didn't go for easy. The very fact that that was its angle made it biting: "Olympic sponsors are bad" is generally well known

I also would say that part of what made Brass Eye good was that people went along with it. When Morris asked people to show where they stood on the Right-Wronginator, they actually stopped and pondered it seriously. The Olympic security guards, the police called outside MI5, and the Lib Dems at the party conference don't believe that the person they have been called to deal with is actually a supporter, club manager, or Tory respectively - They realise it's just a prick making a joke.

That said, I watched it all and didn't hate it as much as some have. It was just...bland. It is only going to irritate its opponents and bore its supporters. It was nowhere near the crushing disappointment that Celebrity Bedlam was. Now that was a crap show - Incidentally, I also think that is terrible because nobody being 'pranked' on it really seems to believe it, but they are going along with it because it's a paid gig and they are Z-list "celebrities".

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

StrawmanUK posted:

Watching "The revolution will be televised" now and I concur that its bloody awful. I dont see the problem with diplomats being exempt from the congestion charge either, is this really a thing folk are bothered about?

Diplomats aren't exempt, these are fees they've been dodging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I quite enjoyed The Revolution Will be Televised. Some bad sketches, some quite funny sketches, some annoying bits, some bits that made me laugh. Yeah it's very right on but it's a BBC3 satire show, what do you want? I'd rather see poo poo satire than whatever that one show with the young scally lookin' fella or a rerun of little Britain. This thread reacts worse to things that are bad versions of things it likes than it does to things that are just offensively poo poo.

It won't revolutionise anything, but it is just a loving TV show. I thought the bits when they put on a character like in the Lib Dem conference were reasonably funny and showed promise. But I'm a sucker for that kind of humour anyway. I guess I just enjoy subterfuge