Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Slyfrog, one other thought. Have you considered finding a counselor/psychiatrist/mental health professional? It sounds like you've got two groups of problems: one, that your work is boring and uninteresting; and, two, that you're getting really stressed and anxious about making any mistakes. Your comments about your home life suggest it's the second group that's been causing more problems outside of work, and as you recognize, it's the problem that'll be harder to address if you switch jobs or move into a new legal focus.

I had some anxiety difficulties in undergrad, and spending even six months with a psychiatrist, meeting once a week, really made a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

entris posted:

Hobson's comment probably doesn't trigger 8.02(a), but am I the only attorney who thinks that practicing attorneys should not publicly criticize judges (even if the judges are being stupid)? I think its unseemly to publicly criticize a judge or court. Maybe I'm just prudish, I dunno.

Counterpoint: Justices Thomas and Scalia.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

entris posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/23/us/texas-judge-warning/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Hobson's comment probably doesn't trigger 8.02(a), but am I the only attorney who thinks that practicing attorneys should not publicly criticize judges (even if the judges are being stupid)? I think its unseemly to publicly criticize a judge or court. Maybe I'm just prudish, I dunno.

In less extreme situations, publicly calling out a judge doesn't make sense from a practical standpoint, so such actions are usually self-limiting. As cathartic as a point-by-point public refuation/bitchslap of my court's results-oriented jurisprudence would be, it wouldn't do my current or future clients any good.
On the other hand, one of the hardest things to teach new attorneys is that showing a judge proper respect does not mean allowing yourself to be bullied by him/her, particulatly when it's to your client's detriment. Polite always, doormat never; even when the judge yells at you for being unprofessional when you politely and tactfully insist that he/she follow the law.

Chucklehead wasn't acting in a judicial capacity, but as the head of the county emergency planning committee. Chucklehead probably wishes nobody knew he was a judge, because of Canons 1, 2 and 4 of the TX Code of Judicial Conduct

Judges are not gods, or even demi-gods. They are lawyers who, more often than not, have traded proficiency in the law for political connectivity. Yes, the office demands respect; but when the office holder is clearly acting/speaking/behaving outside the bounds of what is acceptable as holder of that office, they effectively abandon their position and lose that mantle of respect.

e:

MoFauxHawk posted:

Legitimate Rape update: My definition was actually printed in the Washington Post! http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...d010_story.html

I'm really part of this scandal now! So proud. :')

I've now had three attorneys ask me to write up a 'legitimate rape' jury instruction. I referred them to your UD entry.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 23, 2012

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Never doing criminal law again. gently caress this poo poo.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

joat mon posted:

Chucklehead wasn't acting in a judicial capacity, but as the head of the county emergency planning committee.

Yeah I was going to say, in Texas this is like, being the mayor of a county. I doubt he ever presides over a court. It's really an executive branch position.

Doesn't mean he's not a tool.

Here's his job description:

code:
General County Administration as provided by law, including:

Director of Emergency Management
    Prepare County budget for approval by the County Commissioners
    Preside over Commissioners Court
    Conducts mental competency hearings and other mental health related duties prescribed by law
    Serve on Juvenile Board, SPAG Board, Bail Bond Board, and others
    Refuse or issue alcohol beverage permits
    Responsibilities associated of holding elections
    Give notice of public hearings
    May conduct Marriage Ceremonies
Commissioner's Court description:

quote:

Function and Duties of the Commissioner's Court
Purpose and Responsibilities of the County Commissioner's Court

The Commissioner's Court is the governing body of the county. The Texas Constitution specifies that courts consist of a county judge and four county commissioners elected by the qualified voters of individual commissioner's precincts. The county judge is the presiding officer of the County Commissioner's Court. The court exercises powers over county business as provided by law (Tex. Const. Art. V, Sec 18).

Many state administrative responsibilities rest with the court as well as a growing number of permissive authorities. The Local Government Code contains many of the provisions that guide the commissioner's court in carrying out its responsibilities for the operation of county government. For example, the Code covers the duties and authority of the commissioner's court and other officers related to financial, management, public officers and employees, regulatory matters, property acquisition, buildings, and many other areas of county affairs.
Areas of major responsibility for the Commissioner's Court
include the following:

Construction and maintenance of roads and bridges in the county which are not part of the state highway system
Filling vacancies for certain elected and appointed officials
Setting salaries, expenses and other allowances for elected and appointed officials
Creating offices, boards and commissions to carry out certain purposes
Providing buildings for use as offices and other operating facilities for the county
Issuing bonds for construction and other public projects and management of debt incurred by the sale of such bonds
Entering into contracts or cooperative agreements with other local governments, the state or private entities
Holding general and special elections including those authorizing creation of special districts, issuance of bonds and other purposes necessary to carry out Court responsibilities
Setting the tax rate and authorizing expenditures
Performing a variety of administrative duties

I know the guy who has this job in Harris County (Houston area) isn't a lawyer or anything.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 23, 2012

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Arcturas posted:

Slyfrog, one other thought. Have you considered finding a counselor/psychiatrist/mental health professional?
This is good advice. The past year was really rough for me, and seeing a psychologist helped me through it.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

entris posted:

Christ, what happened to you?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Well, looks like I get the cancel my vacation because a paralegal stealth inserted some briefs on my taskpad, and just saw fit to ask for a status update on them today (day one of my three day "vacation"), a week and a half after they were due. gently caress everything. Don't go to law school.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Dantu posted:

Well, looks like I get the cancel my vacation because a paralegal stealth inserted some briefs on my taskpad, and just saw fit to ask for a status update on them today (day one of my three day "vacation"), a week and a half after they were due. gently caress everything. Don't go to law school.
Why would you cancel your vacation for this? Just respond when you're back. It's only three days.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

quepasa18 posted:

You say you've thought abou teaching, but not as full-time. As one who's made the transition from practice to teaching, I can tell you it's the best thing I've ever done. The stress level is low, it's fulfilling, and I love how I get to start over every semester. Plus, this summer I worked one day a week, which is great if you have a family. The only downside is that your pay would be lower, and it sounds like your wife's spending habits might be an issue there. Although at my school you can teach extra classes for more money, and some make quite a bit extra doing that, especially in the summer.

Well, I've thought about teaching as a possibility for a different full time job, but I have not moved to investigate it more (other than looking up several community colleges, looking at job openings, and seeing absolutely nothing).

What I was saying in reference to full-time is that I have not thought about teaching part time, because I do not think I currently have the energy to add more hours per week on top of my current job. I assume you have to come up with a curriculum, study the material yourself to refresh your recollection/create a lesson plan, etc. I just cannot currently see myself doing that at 8:00 at night after coming home from work (let alone that it would mean spending even less time with the family, etc.).

But I suppose full time would be a possibility. If: (a) the salary was not so low as to not even support a normal middle class existence, recognizing that my wife does not work and does not contribute income; and (b) there were actually stable positions available.

Arcturas posted:

Slyfrog, one other thought. Have you considered finding a counselor/psychiatrist/mental health professional? It sounds like you've got two groups of problems: one, that your work is boring and uninteresting; and, two, that you're getting really stressed and anxious about making any mistakes. Your comments about your home life suggest it's the second group that's been causing more problems outside of work, and as you recognize, it's the problem that'll be harder to address if you switch jobs or move into a new legal focus.

I had some anxiety difficulties in undergrad, and spending even six months with a psychiatrist, meeting once a week, really made a difference.

I have thought about it, and tried various things. They didn't seem to have any effect.

One of the things with respect to my anxiety; while I'm probably a bit more highstrung than most people, most of my anxiety does seem to come from job pressures. I'm not, for example, the type of person who freaks out over whether I left the stove on, whether I close the garage door, etc. I might be wrong about this, but it seems to be mostly work related (my anxiety drops significantly when I get away from work, but again, alas, no one seems to want to pay me for being away from work).

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 23, 2012

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ani posted:

Why would you cancel your vacation for this? Just respond when you're back. It's only three days.

Well, once you're a week and a half late (I assume this is a senior associate or partner asking, not the paralegal) "I'll get to it when I get back" is not a good answer.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SlyFrog posted:

Well, I've thought about teaching as a possibility for a different full time job, but I have not moved to investigate it more (other than looking up several community colleges, looking at job openings, and seeing absolutely nothing).

What I was saying in reference to full-time is that I have not thought about teaching part time, because I do not think I currently have the energy to add more hours per week on top of my current job. I assume you have to come up with a curriculum, study the material yourself to refresh your recollection/create a lesson plan, etc. I just cannot currently see myself doing that at 8:00 at night after coming home from work (let alone that it would mean spending even less time with the family, etc.).

But I suppose full time would be a possibility. If: (a) the salary was not so low as to not even support a normal middle class existence, recognizing that my wife does not work and does not contribute income; and (b) there were actually stable positions available.

I have thought about it, and tried various things. They didn't seem to have any effect.

One of the things with respect to my anxiety; while I'm probably a bit more highstrung than most people, most of my anxiety does seem to come from job pressures. I'm not, for example, the type of person who freaks out over whether I left the stove on, whether I close the garage door, etc. I might be wrong about this, but it seems to be mostly work related (my anxiety drops significantly when I get away from work, but again, alas, no one seems to want to pay me for being away from work).

Smoke weed every day (seriously)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

BigHead posted:

Hey I think it's cool :fistbump:

Also, does anyone have the pdf of that 120 page poker ruling from, like, this morning or yesterday or whenever? I can't find it and all my pdf ruling finding skills are exhausted after a cursory google search. I'm generally considering doing a FAQ in PITR (which I lurk and leech advice from) but am probably too lazy to do that without Unanimo's commitment to helping me.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/103482098/U-S-vs-DiCristina-Opinion-08-21-2012

I can assist with questions if there's nothing that doesn't touch on my current job (there shouldn't be much, but just in case)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Ani posted:

Good point, they are already late. Plus, getting fired would probably be the best thing that ever happened to me.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

When you say you've tried "various things" what do you mean? Are those self-help techniques, or different therapists/avenues of professional help? There's a world of difference between seeing a medical professional and doing some tricks you find in a self-help book. I'm not saying the self-help things aren't useful (they are for most people, I'm sure), but they aren't a substitute for seeing a professional.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Arcturas posted:

When you say you've tried "various things" what do you mean? Are those self-help techniques, or different therapists/avenues of professional help? There's a world of difference between seeing a medical professional and doing some tricks you find in a self-help book. I'm not saying the self-help things aren't useful (they are for most people, I'm sure), but they aren't a substitute for seeing a professional.

All of the above, plus the standard "start working out, start eating better, etc."

And when I say start, I mean I got a gym membership and worked out five days a week for nine months. Did the "eat leafy greens" thing. I got into better physical shape (although I was weight/height appropriate before that anyway). But the supposed mental/stress reduction benefits did not manifest. Instead, I just felt like I was adding the annoyance of trying to find a way to stick an hour a day of work-outs/bicycling/various other poo poo into my day. That annoyance didn't go away even after I "stuck with it" month after month.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Smoke weed every day (seriously)

I've honestly (though not with any likelihood of doing it) thought about it.

I recall something I read or watched once, where John Wooden said that he had a "no marijuana" policy. Then Bill Walton came to UCLA. Wooden made Walton stop smoking weed. Then he realized that Walton was literally so high strung and a wreck without it, that Wooden literally made an exception to his policy for Walton, as basically the one man on the planet he had ever met who probably needed it to stay sane and somewhat normal.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 23, 2012

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/103482098/U-S-vs-DiCristina-Opinion-08-21-2012

I can assist with questions if there's nothing that doesn't touch on my current job (there shouldn't be much, but just in case)

Oh god, anytime the rule of lenity is invoked is just asking to be overturned.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

CaptainScraps posted:

Do go on. :allears:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Another attorney flips me a ridiculous assault case he signed up. "Where's the money?" I ask. "She's good for it." Fine. I drive an hour. I get a good deal. I tell her all she has to do is pay a fine and pay me.

She then proceeds to duck all phone calls and does not pay me and does not pay her loving fine. "gently caress her," I think and write it off. Then last night I get a teary phone call about some sob story. So now my rear end is in court telling the prosecutor that my client is "a loving idiot" and needs more time because I'm a big sissy and will apparently take it in the own rear end for $400. Which I haven't been paid.

Family law is WAY better.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

So Guile had the opportunity to see this video before trial, and despite how incriminating it was he refused to take a plea deal because hey, you never know.

In about half an hour, after he is convicted of felony vandalism (his third strike), he will be dragged from the courtroom screaming at his "public pretender" for not getting him a better deal in the first place. Y'know, one he woulda taken.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

It will vary some from school to school. But we give our adjuncts a complete course to work with -- syllabus, assignments, exams, and other materials. They never ever have to develop anything themselves, although of course many do add things. So don't let that scare you.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SlyFrog posted:

Ok, wall of way too personal text coming up:
You've got enough wiggle room in your schedule to go to the gym and you're not tied to a desk all day. Make your new hobby 'finding a job I don't hate.'

qwertyman posted:

I will say that it's significantly easier to find a new job while you currently have a job than it is to find a job while you're unemployed.
See how much you and your wife can pare down your budget/spending while you're doing that and bank the extra. If you decide to stay, use the extra to take yourself and your family on a real vacation.

You've got savings, no debt and you own your house. If you want to make a change you have as much or more ability to do so than almost anyone in this thread.
I'd been out of law school just shy of ten years when I made a scary change from OK pay in a job I hated to crappy pay in a job I loved. I didn't (and still don't) have no debt or own our house or have savings greater than enough for one small emergency. Scary? Yes. Did things suck at times? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.
You're either 40 or pushing it. Do you want to feel like this when you're 60?

SlyFrog posted:

meaning I can't make the decision to go off the grid and wear discarded burlap sacks for clothing.
Duh, burlap is for roofs.

(currently putting one on a work/storage shed)

srsly posted:

So Guile had the opportunity to see this video before trial, and despite how incriminating it was he refused to take a plea deal because hey, you never know.

In about half an hour, after he is convicted of felony vandalism (his third strike), he will be dragged from the courtroom screaming at his "public pretender" for not getting him a better deal in the first place. Y'know, one he woulda taken.

From last week: Domestic A&B by strangulation. Guy has priors, so range is 3-life. There are audiotapes from him calling g/f on the jail phone saying (literally) "Im sorry I strangled you."
Offer is 3, but hey, you never know.
The jury gave him 20.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Sly, are you sure it's the law that's bothering you? Sounds like a classic case of mid-life crisis.

Go buy a red convertible corvette and party at clubs where you are 20+ years older than everyone else. You'll have the sudden realization that your job and life were awesome.... but will you be able to mend fences with those that you hurt? The movies say yes.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Another attorney flips me a ridiculous assault case he signed up. "Where's the money?" I ask. "She's good for it." Fine. I drive an hour. I get a good deal. I tell her all she has to do is pay a fine and pay me.

She then proceeds to duck all phone calls and does not pay me and does not pay her loving fine. "gently caress her," I think and write it off. Then last night I get a teary phone call about some sob story. So now my rear end is in court telling the prosecutor that my client is "a loving idiot" and needs more time because I'm a big sissy and will apparently take it in the own rear end for $400. Which I haven't been paid.

"15 bucks, little man, put that poo poo in my hand.
If that money doesn't show then you owe me owe me owe.
My jungle love.
Oh e oh e oh.
I think I wanna know ya know ya ... yeah, what.
"

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

CaptainScraps posted:

Family law is WAY better.

Clients can be lying cheapskates regardless of the practice area. Here's a tip for avoiding this in the future that you have to learn the hard way:

ALWAYS GET THE MONEY UP FRONT.

And never listen to any other attorney who says the potential client is "good for it." Nine times out of ten, if the client is good for it, they're taking the case.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Stunt Rock posted:

Clients can be lying cheapskates regardless of the practice area. Here's a tip for avoiding this in the future that you have to learn the hard way:

And never listen to any other attorney who says the potential client is "good for it." Nine times out of ten, if the client is good for it, they're taking the case.

I know, I know. Family law cases I can hold hostage for payment plans. Crim not so much.

But you don't tell your regular referral source to come back with money in hand.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

CaptainScraps posted:

I know, I know. Family law cases I can hold hostage for payment plans. Crim not so much.

But you don't tell your regular referral source to come back with money in hand.

A wise old lawyer once told me: "Bad news costs money. Good news costs more." I don't know how it is down there, but here if the client is out of custody I'm dragging that poo poo out until there's cash in my hand. Don't even tell them there's a deal, tell them there's a chance for a good deal but you need to hammer out some issues. Then get paid. Then go to court.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Stunt Rock posted:

Basically, if it's true in drug deals, it's true in law

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Soothing Vapors posted:

As is said in Goodfellas, "gently caress you, pay me"

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

joat mon posted:

You've got enough wiggle room in your schedule to go to the gym and you're not tied to a desk all day. Make your new hobby 'finding a job I don't hate.'

That's pretty much what I'm trying to do. Or trying to figure out how to make this one better. Unfortunately, I haven't found either yet.

joat mon posted:

You've got savings, no debt and you own your house. If you want to make a change you have as much or more ability to do so than almost anyone in this thread.
I'd been out of law school just shy of ten years when I made a scary change from OK pay in a job I hated to crappy pay in a job I loved. I didn't (and still don't) have no debt or own our house or have savings greater than enough for one small emergency. Scary? Yes. Did things suck at times? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.
You're either 40 or pushing it. Do you want to feel like this when you're 60?

Of course I don't want to feel this way at 60. I also don't want to make a change, find out it didn't help, and feel this way at 60 making a shitload less money.

Change isn't necessarily the problem. It's finding change that improves the situation that is the difficulty. In objective ways, I recognize that it's like I have a winning lottery ticket here. That is making it mentally more difficult for me to take a shot at an unsure thing, because if I take that shot and it sucks, I know I'm not getting this lottery ticket back.

I fully recognize that part of this is a decisiveness problem, of wanting to have a sure thing, and that the world doesn't necessarily deal in sure things.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Sly, are you sure it's the law that's bothering you? Sounds like a classic case of mid-life crisis.

Go buy a red convertible corvette and party at clubs where you are 20+ years older than everyone else. You'll have the sudden realization that your job and life were awesome.... but will you be able to mend fences with those that you hurt? The movies say yes.

Actually, I've thought that might be the case. That's the problem with headcase poo poo - it can be hard to figure out if it really is something to remedy (because you're unsuited for your profession long term), or something you should ride out. You say things like, "I was never really actually happy doing this," but you don't know if that's the case, or just a rationalization your stupid brain is making to get you to go buy a convertible.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 24, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Soothing Vapors posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgNhSfEy5hA

Pretty much sums it all up.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

CaptainScraps posted:

If your regular referral source isn't an overly sensitive ninny he should understand you not wanting to take a case where they can't pay you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

srsly posted:

I had the exact opposite of this today.
Supplemental report upon Deputy Viewing the video from a carjacking:
"I reviewed the video and am convinced that the person carjacking the car is not [client]."
Of course, complaining witness had already picked D out. Eyewitness id. Thank god this gas station had a quality video camera.
Judge suggested that client buy the deputy a drink.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

joat mon posted:

I've now had three attorneys ask me to write up a 'legitimate rape' jury instruction. I referred them to your UD entry.

Awesome, thank you. And thanks, BigHead and others.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 24, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Yeah not everyone can handle con law

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?
e: oops, beaten

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Stunt Rock posted:

If your regular referral source isn't an overly sensitive ninny he should understand you not wanting to take a case where they can't pay you.

Nah I salvaged some money out of it.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

SlyFrog posted:

That's pretty much what I'm trying to do. Or trying to figure out how to make this one better. Unfortunately, I haven't found either yet.

Of course I don't want to feel this way at 60. I also don't want to make a change, find out it didn't help, and feel this way at 60 making a shitload less money.

Change isn't necessarily the problem. It's finding change that improves the situation that is the difficulty. In objective ways, I recognize that it's like I have a winning lottery ticket here. That is making it mentally more difficult for me to take a shot at an unsure thing, because if I take that shot and it sucks, I know I'm not getting this lottery ticket back.

I fully recognize that part of this is a decisiveness problem, of wanting to have a sure thing, and that the world doesn't necessarily deal in sure things.

Actually, I've thought that might be the case. That's the problem with headcase poo poo - it can be hard to figure out if it really is something to remedy (because you're unsuited for your profession long term), or something you should ride out. You say things like, "I was never really actually happy doing this," but you don't know if that's the case, or just a rationalization your stupid brain is making to get you to go buy a convertible.

Do you want to travel the world? Then come join the Foreign Service!. I seriously have a bunch of colleagues who were in every kind of law practice and who just got tired of that life/work/whatever. Now they're doing foreign policy or are spokespeople or have awesome work hours as consular officers and spend their evenings and weekends drinking beers, eating at cafes and exploring the foreign cities where they live.

The money is not as good as Biglaw but it is pretty good (and the work is infinitely better). Some countries and cities are nicer than others, but one can make a good time almost anywhere. The lifestyle is awesome, and if you're looking to break out of a rut, you will be able to do that in spades. Remember, nobody was born to be a lawyer, and there is nothing wrong with redefining yourself and moving to a new career. And you'll never be bored!

edit: also, your custom title. . . .

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 24, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Plus, your law degree will actually come in handy at some point. I've been consulted on adoption fraud, international environmental law, trade related IP, etc. Foreign Service owns. I work 7:30-5, half day on Friday, with any time over that either OT or comp time. The work is stimulating, I get paid decently (certainly not biglaw, but having your housing paid for helps a LOT, if you have kids likely their education is paid for too), and the lifestyle owns like BoF says. Lawyers are common, everything from former solos scraping by to senior partners who wanted a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Uh yeah, the Foreign Service is probably a terrible suggestion for Sly. He has kids and a wife. Working for the Foreign Service, while cool for younger people without kids or a spouse, would probably completely disrupt the lives of his family members.

I dunno, maybe they would be up for it? I know my wife would probably be totally into that.