Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
At this stage, I just want to come out of the cinema thinking "Yeah, I enjoyed that." Because I realised that the last film I saw where that happened was M:I4, which means I haven't seen a movie that I enjoyed without reservation this year.

Come on, Dredd. Deliver some blackly satirical sci-fi as you tickle the reptile part of my brain with Verhoeven-esque ultraviolence. Is that too much to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Almost certainly.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

MrBling posted:

Might as well put these here, in case some of you don't read the poster thread.

I don't really get this one, it makes it seem like the judges are some kind of underground movement. I mean Dredd would definitely bust the hell out of whatever punk stencilled this on a wall, so what's the deal?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's just a cool image that gets across the general aesthetic and feel of the movie, nothing more and nothing less.

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.

I can't be the only one who just sees a butterfly here, right? I mean, I know it isn't a butterfly. But that's what I see, and butterflies are rarely badass.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

WickedIcon posted:

It's just a cool image that gets across the general aesthetic and feel of the movie, nothing more and nothing less.

Well I guess that's pretty subjective. I think clashing with the movie it's representing makes a poster pretty uncool.
I mean Judge Dredd is very specifically not Batman, where this kind of image was used extensively in marketing and made sense. He's more like The Man, so who the gently caress is spraypainting his "logo" anywhere?

e: I guess it could be a warning. Like a Mega-City hobo-sign, "Judges patrol here".

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Dredd's met Batman in a crossover a while back, poor old Bats got his arse beaten off for being a Vigilante in Mega City 1 (which is very illegal, just ask Fairly Hyper Man).

The spraypaint type logo though seems like the type Perps would spray on walls with the words, gently caress the Jays man! under it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think you guys put way more thought into that poster than whoever made it did.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I can imagine it's more in line with Batman having a spray paint poster, so they decided Dredd should have one too.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Shanty posted:

e: I guess it could be a warning. Like a Mega-City hobo-sign, "Judges patrol here".

This was my initial conclusion. Something like this isn't a good spot to commit crimes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

degauss posted:

I can't be the only one who just sees a butterfly here, right?

I see a dog with it's head busted open.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Alhazred posted:

I see a dog with it's head busted open.

Tire-tread on burst stomach.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
The initial reviews are coming in

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

and its at uuuh 100% so far ? I am very sure this will drop rapidly but its almost enough to sell me a ticket so far!

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010
New TV ad is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kBtJYmaxDE

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Haha I was not expecting a Fergee reference in this movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
You know, if Cal ever becomes Chief Judge you'll be the first to be executed...

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
If drug makes time slow down for the user, perhaps their reaction time is much shorter? That would be pretty cool

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!
It's weird that all the promo stuff shows scenes that are in the script that's been floating around for ages, which makes me wonder if they did stick with that (with rewrites, I'm sure). The version I read had a beefier part for Anderson than Dredd. He just came off as a robot. Or is that what he's like in the comics? Never read 'em.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

tokidoki posted:

It's weird that all the promo stuff shows scenes that are in the script that's been floating around for ages, which makes me wonder if they did stick with that (with rewrites, I'm sure). The version I read had a beefier part for Anderson than Dredd. He just came off as a robot. Or is that what he's like in the comics? Never read 'em.
Dredd is not generally a deep character, and that's kind of the point. He has literally no personal life (he's still a virgin in his late sixties, and the only women who have ever expressed any romantic interest in him he's either rejected or killed), and on the odd occasion where he's displayed a normal human emotion like compassion it generally hasn't worked out well for anyone involved. Over the years he's acquired a kind of 'family' (a niece, a couple of clones, a very small number of fellow Judges who he would consider friends rather than just colleagues), but he's horribly uncomfortable about dealing with them on anything other than a purely professional basis. All he cares about is the law, and the only thing he enjoys is enforcing it.

The thing about the comics, though, is that Dredd is just as often a villain as a hero, and sometimes barely even appears except to show up at the end to arrest/kill the subjects of the story. (There was once an entire episode about the pet rat of a dead villain taking a poo poo on his bike's seat.) It could be argued that they're as much tales of Mega-City One in which he happens to feature as anything.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Yeah basically, he's a brainwashed clone with no other interest than The Laaaaaah. The stories - even the good ones - have him as sort of an inhuman ur-policeman used as a vehicle for satire, horror or violent action. It's kind of a tricky character to write for as Dredd himself cannot be the direct target of satire, nor is he allowed to change; only the world around him can.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

degauss posted:

I can't be the only one who just sees a butterfly here, right? I mean, I know it isn't a butterfly. But that's what I see, and butterflies are rarely badass.

You're not the only one. I have a Monarch T-shirt that looks almost exactly like it, and it's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the poster.

The reviews have me hopeful. I know the early reviews on RT aren't really much to base an opinion off of, but if a movie is utter poo poo there's usually at least one dissenting critic.

And yeah, Dredd is kind of two-dimensional character. He only cares about the Law to exclusion of all else. For example just after he gets back from serving his term as a marshal on Luna-1 he ignores all the obviously horrible and illegal stuff going on around him because he hasn't been reinstated and it's illegal for citizens to apprehend a perp. Of course, as soon he gets his shield back, he hits the block like a force of nature.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Several new clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlIi6G238qE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Bzrz2Jc2Y

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Holy gently caress. It's literally The Raid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is it based on any one specific Dredd story? Is Ma-Ma an original character?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Payndz posted:

Dredd is not generally a deep character, and that's kind of the point. He has literally no personal life (he's still a virgin in his late sixties, and the only women who have ever expressed any romantic interest in him he's either rejected or killed), and on the odd occasion where he's displayed a normal human emotion like compassion it generally hasn't worked out well for anyone involved. Over the years he's acquired a kind of 'family' (a niece, a couple of clones, a very small number of fellow Judges who he would consider friends rather than just colleagues), but he's horribly uncomfortable about dealing with them on anything other than a purely professional basis. All he cares about is the law, and the only thing he enjoys is enforcing it.

The thing about the comics, though, is that Dredd is just as often a villain as a hero, and sometimes barely even appears except to show up at the end to arrest/kill the subjects of the story. (There was once an entire episode about the pet rat of a dead villain taking a poo poo on his bike's seat.) It could be argued that they're as much tales of Mega-City One in which he happens to feature as anything.

This is going from memory, but Dredd has thrown his badge down a few times now when the law gets abused, I've seen him push for changes in the law too. (Mutant rights for sure but I think others too.)

He's still a huge bastard though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I don't remember if I'm recalling this correctly, but early on didn't Dredd get some sort of emotional lobotomy after he started to lose control of his emotions following the death of Rico? I think I recall it happening in a story where he arranges for a young girl who is horribly mangled in an accident to have her brain installed in a robot body, but then she runs in front of a truck after kids teased her for being a brain in a jar. After that some admin judge has a go at him for wasting money, and Dredd punches him in the face, at which point the senior judges decide to perform the surgery to stop him from going crazy or something.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Brown Moses posted:

I don't remember if I'm recalling this correctly, but early on didn't Dredd get some sort of emotional lobotomy after he started to lose control of his emotions following the death of Rico? I think I recall it happening in a story where he arranges for a young girl who is horribly mangled in an accident to have her brain installed in a robot body, but then she runs in front of a truck after kids teased her for being a brain in a jar. After that some admin judge has a go at him for wasting money, and Dredd punches him in the face, at which point the senior judges decide to perform the surgery to stop him from going crazy or something.
Normally they would do the surgery, but since Dredd's the best Judge in the city despite his current issues, they decide he's too valuable to risk lobotomising and basically tell him to :dealwithit: . Which he eventually does by seeing his old mentor, who advises him to get boots a couple of sizes too small - he'll be so constantly pissed off about having tight boots that he won't have any time for empathy.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Killstick posted:

There is only one way this movie should end:

Dredd has cornered the last bad guy woman in her penthouse suite and is doing the whole "I SENTENCE YOU TO DEATH!!!" and just as he's about to shoot her she shoots up a large overdose of Slo-mo. Time starts slowing down as Dredd fires his gun until it's moving so slowly we can see the bullet exiting the gun. When the bullet is halfway time stops entirely and we sit on that scene for 5 seconds. Roll credits.

Mail me my Oscar.

That is really close to how an old Judge Dredd story ends. These dudes have been doing robberies using a device that speeds up time for them, Dredd catches them, except the last guy, who he shoots right as the creep activates the device. Dredd's bullet paralyzes him, and from Dredd's perspective, kills him almost instantly, but from the creep's perspective, it takes him hours of agony to die.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Yeah basically, he's a brainwashed clone with no other interest than The Laaaaaah. The stories - even the good ones - have him as sort of an inhuman ur-policeman used as a vehicle for satire, horror or violent action. It's kind of a tricky character to write for as Dredd himself cannot be the direct target of satire, nor is he allowed to change; only the world around him can.
This is like the complete opposite of Dredd. The problem with Dredd is the he has developed at such a slow pace, in real time, so if you just read the odd story then yea it looks like he's a brainwashed clone whose sole motivation is THE LAAAAAH but it's more complex than that.

WickedIcon posted:

Holy gently caress. It's literally The Raid.
Dredd began development before The Raid and post production meant it ended up released afterwards.
The Raid is literally Dredd.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

CheechLizard posted:

This is like the complete opposite of Dredd. The problem with Dredd is the he has developed at such a slow pace, in real time, so if you just read the odd story then yea it looks like he's a brainwashed clone whose sole motivation is THE LAAAAAH but it's more complex than that.

That makes sense but I'm not sure how well that would come over to any audience without reading thousands of progs, specials and megazines. I stopped reading a long time ago but any time he was shown to be the outright bad guy (as opposed to the least worst bastard in MC1) or there was an potentially major character change (for example, dead man) he would -as mentioned earlier- default to upholding the 2000AD jocular rear end-kicking status quo the next week.

Is he actually ageing in real time? If so thats incredible.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 23, 2012

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Dredd is very much aging in real time. It is currently the year 2134 in the Dredd universe and he has been an active judge since 2079 so he's past 70 years old now.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, is he going to die?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Is he actually ageing in real time? If so thats incredible.
Yup. The strip's been running for 35 years, and Dredd is 35 years older than in 1977/2099. So he's now in his early seventies. (Future tech and medicine caveat, obviously, but he's still getting old even by 22nd century standards. For that matter, both Anderson and Hershey are now well into their 50s.)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm pretty sure they gave Dredd cancer at one point and he's still trucking.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Payndz posted:

Yup. The strip's been running for 35 years, and Dredd is 35 years older than in 1977/2099. So he's now in his early seventies. (Future tech and medicine caveat, obviously, but he's still getting old even by 22nd century standards. For that matter, both Anderson and Hershey are now well into their 50s.)

I am going to assume that Anderson is going to die first since she can not take any anti-aging drugs.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Handsome Dead posted:

So, is he going to die?

They've done every conceivable thing to ensure there will be a Dredd, be it him or a clone of him that they will tell people is Dredd. For good or for ill, he's become the personification of the idea of Law. It'd be devastating to social stability for there to be no Dredd. It's like they are self-aware enough to recognize that he is, in fact, the protagonist of their little storybook world. Their technology can ensure he goes on for a long time [Conceivably brain in a robot body Dredd could be lighting up the pages of British comics in a thousand years, still aging in real time], but the reality is he's lost a step. He's not quite as tough, not quite as quick on the draw. People are worried about Dredd getting older and what it means.

They have a lot more continuity and 'realism' than most comics out there. Still comics, but they at least pretend it's a real world a bit harder than they might strictly have two. Of course they aren't too stuck up to keep from introducing undead psychic cops from an alternate dimension to get a bit of the old ultra-horror going.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I never read the comics but by going by that it seems like Dredd could be used as a title along the lines of "Dread Pirate Roberts" instead of being clones and whatnot. Seems like it'd be a way to have there be a Dredd but allow for some growth or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jimbot posted:

I never read the comics but by going by that it seems like Dredd could be used as a title along the lines of "Dread Pirate Roberts" instead of being clones and whatnot. Seems like it'd be a way to have there be a Dredd but allow for some growth or something.

No there are many who try to take his name but there is only one Judge Dredd.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Jimbot posted:

There were great Judges before him, and there will be great Judges after him, but Dredd is Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CheechLizard posted:

Dredd began development before The Raid and post production meant it ended up released afterwards.
The Raid is literally Dredd.

According to Gareth Evans, it's just a colossal coincidence and both sides were more or less oblivious of each other's plot details.

I think it came up earlier in this thread, but here's what Evans had to say.

quote:

Are you aware that the new Judge Dredd film has basically the same plot as The Raid?

Gareth Evans: Yes. It was weird, because, while we were in post on The Raid, I was telling a friend what the story was about – a bunch of guys storming a building. And he said, that’s like the new Judge Dredd movie. And I said, “What?”

He sent me a link that explained the story, and I said, “Oh God, we have to get this released very, very soon.”

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/21335/the-raid-qa-director-gareth-evans-and-star-iko-uwais

• Locked thread