Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
poo poo, I gotta leave for the airport in 2 hours and I have a bunch of MKV files I wanted to load on my tablet.

What app should I use for playing these files? Would I be better off converting them to something else? If so what software should I use? I only have two hours and need to convert 22gigs of video so I'm not sure if I have time for that method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
There's something going on with Google Wallet today in about 10 minutes: https://developers.google.com/live/shows/ahNzfmdvb2dsZS1kZXZlbG9wZXJzcg4LEgVFdmVudBj7wqUDDA/

No idea what it's about, but they're announcing something!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
If we're lucky it's "Hey we've got a legit way for it to work on the majority of your phones now!"

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm betting it's a partnership with a bunch of stores so we can stop eating so much McDonald's.

edit: though it says "google wallet features", but I don't know what more features it could have

edit2: international use would probably count as a feature

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 23, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Jewce posted:

poo poo, I gotta leave for the airport in 2 hours and I have a bunch of MKV files I wanted to load on my tablet.

What app should I use for playing these files? Would I be better off converting them to something else? If so what software should I use? I only have two hours and need to convert 22gigs of video so I'm not sure if I have time for that method.

You definitely don't have time to convert those. I'm not sure two hours is enough time to even transfer those files as-is, but for playing them I've always had good luck with MX Player.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Oh cool, I missed a bunch of the Wallet announcement because it didn't refresh automatically. Hopefully someone will post the important stuff.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Jewce posted:

Seconding MXPlayer/MXPlayer Pro. You probably don't have time to even copy them. I'd say maybe a flash drive if you have a way to copy them afterwards from another computer somehow. Of course a few before on the tablet would be good as well.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Oh cool, I missed a bunch of the Wallet announcement because it didn't refresh automatically. Hopefully someone will post the important stuff.

They haven't said anything that the app doesn't already have, or buzzwords of what they want it to be. Basically a bunch of non-info right now.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

IT Guy posted:

Just an FYI, the Humble Bundle 3 for Android is live right now:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay more than the average and you get extra games. Some really good games in here too.

I think it was posted earlier. I'm sort of glad I was broke and didn't qualify for the extras since they are repeats. I'm only missing out on Spirit, which I could get later and still be cheaper.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

You definitely don't have time to convert those. I'm not sure two hours is enough time to even transfer those files as-is, but for playing them I've always had good luck with MX Player.

Sweet, I'll check out MXplayer.

I am just about to finish copying to the tablet. It only took around 40 minutes which was surprising to me, but I'll take it.

Now I can copy them off later and convert them or just use MXplayer. Any recommendations one way or another? I suppose converting them would save a ton of space so that would be good.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Frozen-Solid posted:

There's something going on with Google Wallet today in about 10 minutes: https://developers.google.com/live/shows/ahNzfmdvb2dsZS1kZXZlbG9wZXJzcg4LEgVFdmVudBj7wqUDDA/

No idea what it's about, but they're announcing something!

Not really their style to announce consumer stuff on their Google Developers channel. Its most likely a misleadingly named developer session which accidentally got media attention.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I haven't been able to use it yet so forgive me if this is a stupid question: does Wallet currently work in an area with no/marginal signal? His talking about clouding the security credentials is a little worrying since I don't usually get much (if any) signal in grocery stores and other local warehouse-y structures.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 23, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I haven't been able to use it yet so forgive me if this is a stupid question: does Wallet currently work in an area with no/marginal signal? His talking about clouding the security credentials is a little worrying since I don't usually get much (if any) signal in grocery stores and other local warehouse-y structures.

I've used it in bad signal areas of Omaha, NE on my Nexus S 4G so I'd say it does work if it's offline but I don't think you can change your card over if you're not getting a signal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On the subject of the Facebook app...

http://phandroid.com/2012/08/23/mark-zuckerberg-reportedly-forcing-facebooks-android-team-to-use-app-and-see-how-bad-it-is/

I feel like the tide is (finally) starting it move in favor of Android native apps now rather than sub-par half ports of iOS apps. App awareness is starting to catch up with Android's marketshare I think.

It's VERY important for Facebook's bottom line long term to not chase people away from the official app. Ads are eventually coming to mobile and if everyone has left the real app for alternatives, they are destroying a huge part of their revenue opportunities.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
In the 2 and a half years I've had various android phones, I've never had a problem with the facebook app. I see everyone bitching about it all the time.

I guess I'm then luckiest man in the world.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

How's EasyMoney? Is there anything better for tracking expenses / budgeting? I'm thinking about moving out and I'll probably need all the help I can get to survive. :v:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

I like how Mark Zuckerberg is only referenced in the headline, and nowhere else in the article.

quote:

According to Business Insider, Facebook is so fed up with its subpar Android app that he is forcing its developers to ditch their iOS devices in favor of Android devices.
Made me double-take a little!

Not a big fan of how Phandroid use URL referral links on all the external links in their RSS feed, either.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

There's also this:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/23/facebook-for-ios-faster/

quote:

If you’re on a Google OS phone, don’t worry. Johnson noted that soon “you can expect similar interesting developments on Android.”

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Did Autostarts used to be free? I used it for several months but don't currently have it installed, and Google thinks I haven't bought it so I'm trying to figure out wtf.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Did Autostarts used to be free? I used it for several months but don't currently have it installed, and Google thinks I haven't bought it so I'm trying to figure out wtf.

Not in the last two years, according to Appbrain.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Not that I know of, Autostarts was one of the first apps I purchased about two years ago, there is the possibility that you acquired it in a sale though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

IT Guy posted:

Just an FYI, the Humble Bundle 3 for Android is live right now:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay more than the average and you get extra games. Some really good games in here too.

drat, Uplink on an android tablet is as close the future as I can get without actually buying new hardware. Paid.

Sadly, I can't see a way to link these humble bundle downloads to the Play store. Might be worth just buying the game the old-fashioned way if that's the only bit of the bundle you want.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

They haven't said anything that the app doesn't already have, or buzzwords of what they want it to be. Basically a bunch of non-info right now.

I was bitching about an Australian bank not releasing an NFC capable payment app when their iPhone version does have that option. Turns out that it's Google's fault for not allowing other companies to access the secure element :argh:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

I was bitching about an Australian bank not releasing an NFC capable payment app when their iPhone version does have that option. Turns out that it's Google's fault for not allowing other companies to access the secure element :argh:
So the iPhone has an app that supports NFC and hardware that doesn't and Android has hardware that supports it but an application that does not.

Sounds like you're not going to be using NFC.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I work with this stuff. Let me tell you: we'd all be better off this way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

I use Beam all the drat time, but :laffo: on linking my credit card to my cellphone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Midjack posted:

Is NFC really that bad? Is it bad security-wise or is it just a hassle for cashiers and banks and whatnot?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

LastInLine posted:

So the iPhone has an app that supports NFC and hardware that doesn't and Android has hardware that supports it but an application that does not.

For $50, you can get an iPhone compatible case with a built in NFC chip. Not surprisingly, it hasn't sold very well.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Are there any SMS apps that offer a progress bar or some such thing for sending MMSs? My phone's been slow as gently caress lately seinding picture messages, and it would be nice if I could see if it's a stalling thing, or just a general low-rear end speed thing.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Nate Falls posted:

Are there any SMS apps that offer a progress bar or some such thing for sending MMSs? My phone's been slow as gently caress lately seinding picture messages, and it would be nice if I could see if it's a stalling thing, or just a general low-rear end speed thing.

So what's the difference from a stalled progress bar and the words just saying sending? You wouldn't get any more information from a progress bar.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Is there any way to delete posts on Friendcaster or not?

rotaryfun posted:

So what's the difference from a stalled progress bar and the words just saying sending? You wouldn't get any more information from a progress bar.

He's asking for a progress bar because we would know how if it is stalled and close it is to completion. I would personally like that as well though I think Android is getting better about these things.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 24, 2012

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm looking for a good Wake on LAN app for local use.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

I believe Google wallet no longer uses the secure element so they probably don't care anymore.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/yoyg8/why_is_facebook_the_development_team_for_the/c5xymsl?context=3

It looks like the Android Facebook app will get better one day, maybe even a native Android app.

Seemingly, Facebook is hearing the cries of those who hate the app.

I tried to install it and it slowed my phone down pretty much immediately so here's hope it'll get better one day.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
My current annoyance with the android Facebook app is that when I click on a photo to comment it tends to load the screen 'below' the photo. By which I mean I get a blank screen which could easily be mistaken for 'Facebook hosed up loading the page again' but, if I scroll the screen up, then the photo/comments appears! :v:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
One of my biggest complaints about the FB app has been it's insistence on firing up GPS for location the moment you open the app, even if you're not doing anything location based. They FINALLY killed that with the last update, so maybe they're starting to take this poo poo seriously.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Require More Fire posted:

One of my biggest complaints about the FB app has been it's insistence on firing up GPS for location the moment you open the app, even if you're not doing anything location based. They FINALLY killed that with the last update, so maybe they're starting to take this poo poo seriously.

I really hope they rebuild the app like they did with the IOS version. I played around with it on my wife's iPhone last night, it's miles ahead of the Android app now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there an app that lets me wake my computer up out of sleep before I get home?

Or something along those lines?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there an app that lets me wake my computer up out of sleep before I get home?

If you get home at the same time every day, some BIOSes have settings to auto-wake on a schedule.

Past that, the only other thing I can think of is enabling wake-on-lan and setting your phone up with a VPN connection to your home box to "ping" the home machine awake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
I'm looking for an app that can trace my bike route over gps and then export a map to an image file. Anything like that or do I have to take a screen shot?

• Locked thread