Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirblewind
Aug 10, 2012
Finally have color shots of the Buster.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2012/07/mg-1100-buster-gundam-dengeki-hobb-y.html

I like how the whites are a little cleaner instead of the SNES plastic staining the Buster usually has.

Whirblewind fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Just bought my Hammurabi from HLJ. I'm almost too excited about this suit.

On another note, I need some help finding the right spraypaint for my Kshatriya. I need a color for the light green but Hobby Lobby has nothing that even remotely resembles the color I'm looking for. Everything is way too dark.

I'm thinking Pearl Green maybe? https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=85060

The problem is I don't really have any stores around me with Tamiya paints.

Honest Ray fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 24, 2012

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pearl Green will likely be a shiny, iridescent sort of finish, so maybe not exactly what you're looking for.

It is really, really hard to find good spray colors for mecha. You'd be better off investing in a cheap airbrush set and mixing what you need.

Whirblewind
Aug 10, 2012
Nu Ver.Ka render leak.

http://i.imgur.com/76uT4.jpg

I hope you like RG color separation.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Awful beyond words.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You mean awfully badass beyond words. :D

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't decide to add in gray to the Nu's color scheme, resulting in awful pseudo arctic camo

Whirblewind
Aug 10, 2012
I would love it if the grey were white, I don't think it needed that, but as for the actual panel lines, those I approve of.

Really no idea what's up with the grey, though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Whirblewind posted:

I would love it if the grey were white, I don't think it needed that, but as for the actual panel lines, those I approve of.

Really no idea what's up with the grey, though.

Maybe Katoki likes the RG line and thought he's apply the same thing to his new MG? You can see there's two shades of blue as well.

Whirblewind
Aug 10, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Maybe Katoki likes the RG line and thought he's apply the same thing to his new MG? You can see there's two shades of blue as well.

Yeah, I don't blame him. I see what he was going for. The Justice as an example of the lines and color separation changes working in the suit's favor.

I'm just not convinced it worked this time. I'll revisit my thoughts when it has funnels and non-renders.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
There's a definite difference between using multiple tints/shades of a color and using two different colors.

Whirblewind
Aug 10, 2012

Nasgate posted:

There's a definite difference between using multiple tints/shades of a color and using two different colors.

Yeah. There's too much contrast for me to be comfortable.

It makes it look like some kind of Sandrock prototype instead of the Nu that we're used to.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Is that an actual render of the kit itself or is that a render of the Nu Gundam that is projected against the wall behind the Gundam statue? Not that there's any difference; that's probably the main reason they're making this kit (the Nu Gundam makes its appearance around 4:20 in). I'd expect the kit to be slightly less detailed than the render itself, but it does give you a better idea of what it'll look like in 3-D.

Wonder if they're going to keep the differently colored RG-style panels, though. They're not in the lineart that was released, but again, I'm assuming they're releasing this kit to go along with its appearance at the Diver City Tokyo Gundam pavilion, so it wouldn't shock me either. Not like you couldn't paint them either way.

Whirblewind
Aug 10, 2012
Part of me wants to think not even Katoki would risk the grey, so you could be right. I guess we just don't have enough info yet.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
This is so very much unlike Katoki's usual style (I have been following his career for 25 years so don't loving talk to me) that I can only imagine some suit-wearing git was all "very nice but we need more Michael Bay up in this poo poo" and also the muti-hued crap which was very nice on the 1/1 Gundam but is already a cliche and they need to stop already WHERE WAS I oh yeah this design sucks and I really hope they will do a smooth-skinned anime variant based on whatever frame this monstrosity permits.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

This is so very much unlike Katoki's usual style (I have been following his career for 25 years so don't loving talk to me) that I can only imagine some suit-wearing git was all "very nice but we need more Michael Bay up in this poo poo" and also the muti-hued crap which was very nice on the 1/1 Gundam but is already a cliche and they need to stop already WHERE WAS I oh yeah this design sucks and I really hope they will do a smooth-skinned anime variant based on whatever frame this monstrosity permits.

I saw an image the other day that featured the different linearts for the Nu Gundam over the years, and one thing I noticed in particular is that the Gundam Fix Figuration version is markedly different from the "Ver. Ka." If you know anything about GFF, you know that it's a line specifically devoted to Katoki redesigns of classic designs.

So, yeah, there you go. That's what the more "Traditional" Ver. Ka looks like. Way different from the design featured at Gundam Front Tokyo and with this new model kit.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

I can understand if you dislike the color separation, but you're really overreacting on the added armor detail. Do you hate this style altogether or is Nu Gundam your holy grail and anything besides a 2.0-style is unworthy of it?

Then again, i'm also apparently a horrible person for preferring the Gundam OYW over the 2.0 so what do I know about cool Gundam designs?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I, for one like the shapes of it, it reminds me of the MK-2, which is the best looking Gundam. And I like the multi-hue style, but they could have gone with a less in your face color than gray.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TaurusOxford posted:

Then again, i'm also apparently a horrible person for preferring the Gundam OYW over the 2.0 so what do I know about cool Gundam designs?

OYW owns bones. If I could only keep one Gundam, out of all of them, it would be this one.

ed: oh hey look at this old thing:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 25, 2012

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Pffft, look at these people loving the Nu-Gundam.

GPB's Hi-Nu in Nu's colors is best, obviously. :c00l:

So, finishing off MG Sinanju... think I might actually clear coat this guy. I'm still working it over, but it's beautiful. Other than the shield, which seems completely a bitch to work on for no reason.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 25, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nasgate posted:

I, for one like the shapes of it, it reminds me of the MK-2, which is the best looking Gundam. And I like the multi-hue style, but they could have gone with a less in your face color than gray.

This may be the first time I've ever heard gray described as an "in your face color" but I can see your point. :cheers:

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
I superimposed the older Nu Gundam lineart over the new Ver. Ka kit's magazine scan because I couldn't initially see that many differences (and also because I was bored):

I like the added articulation in the newer design, but not so keen on the greys from that render that was posted.

Since it was brought up at the MG Hi-Nu was not designed very well, are there any other not-ancient MGs that need to be avoided? Pretty much everything I have/want is 1/144, but I'd like to pick up some MGs at some point and would rather not pay the premium for something sub-par. The only other one I know of that's bad is the Sazabi, but I'm happy with my assembled HG.

EDIT: VVV Well, for starters, how does the existing MG Nu Gundam hold up? I know the new Ver. Ka is what everyone's talking about now, but if the Ver. Ka ends up being an ugly/sloppy kit, I'd consider getting the MG Nu at some point. I'd also like a Gundam Mk. II, and I'm trying to decide between an 1/100 MG and a 1/144 RG.

GFBeach fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 25, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Is there any specific Gundams you would want to buy a MG for? We could tell you which ones are worth your money or not.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

TaurusOxford posted:

Is there any specific Gundams you would want to buy a MG for? We could tell you which ones are worth your money or not.

How's the Gelgoog Cannon/Johnny Ridden Type and how's the Ez-8?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
MG Nu is a nice kit by 12-year-old standards, somewhat less so by modern ones. The old Gelgoogs are alright but horrendously outdated. Ez-8 and its variants are all well-thought-out, solid kits.

MGs that I would consider "bad" or otherwise less than desirable:

- Zeta 1.0 (an engineering clusterfuck, can barely stand up)
- Gouf Custom (weirdly put together and not very sturdy)
- Kampfer (ditto, one of the cheapest-feeling kits in the line)
- Hyaku-Shiki (great-looking model as long as you don't expect the limbs to stay attached to the body)
- The-O (poster child for "half-assed effort)
- F91 (incredibly fragile, also hideous)
- GP-02A (structural integrity leaves much to be desired)
- GP-03S (overall poor quality, too may corners cut)
- Sazabi (makes the baby Jesus drink, a complete and utter disaster)

Most of them have been pretty good, though!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Bimmi posted:

MGs that I would consider "bad" or otherwise less than desirable:

- Gouf Custom (weirdly put together and not very sturdy)
- GP-02A (structural integrity leaves much to be desired)

:negative:

Hearing that the Ez8 is solid makes me smile though.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I wish they'd redo the MG Kampfer. It's easily one of my favorite designs in the show. Thing just looks like it's a loving problem. It doesn't hurt that 0080 is loving awesome.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I have the Kampfer and F91 and can confirm that they are fragile flimsy things, although F91 is still a great looking model IMO and maybe worth its very low price for the high quality of its accessories.

I'd add Zeta v2 to that list, the transformation is great but the model sacrifices so much for it. The arms are alright but the shoulders, torso and legs are super annoying to move around and pose. It would probably look alright on an action base but otherwise its only pose is "standing bolt upright". Also the MG God Gundam, which isn't necessarily bad as a model, but is horribly proportioned and looks kind of dwarfy and stumpy. Lastly, the MG 00 Quant is a fantastic model kit unless you want to actually remove the sword bits from the shield at which point the connectors will snap right off.

FWIW, of all my MGs my absolute favourite is the Infinite Justice. Just a fantastic little kit with IMO the best internal frame Bandai have ever put out in this line. Only downside is it's pink, and repainting it red is a total bitch. I half-ruined mine loving up the red paint and I'm hoping to get another and paint it an original colour scheme.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bimmi posted:

I don't care what anyone says, this was intentional and brilliant.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I hope the Buster is solid as a brick because I seriously may just break down and buy it anyway as my first MG because I adore the design.

Whirblewind
Aug 10, 2012
I'm really, really worried the Buster isn't going to have the articulation it needs to pose with its rifle. Even the preview images, meant to be flattering, are pretty disconcerting.

Also, it looks like it will have a similar skirt to the Duel, which has the worst skirt of the last ten years. It's impossible to keep on the suit without a little modification, and don't even think of touching it.

Whirblewind fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 25, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
In some more positive news, the MG Age-2 Normal is a great build so far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

In some more positive news, the MG Age-2 Normal is a great build so far.

Is it just me or does having it half-built like that make it reminiscent of the Neue Ziel?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Popehoist posted:

Also the MG God Gundam, which isn't necessarily bad as a model, but is horribly proportioned and looks kind of dwarfy and stumpy.
It is a pretty small suit, though.

Also, the original Gelgoog has some issues, for some reason the morons who designed it didn't give the shield any way to attach securely to the arm (it has a handle, but no peg to attach to the forearm, it's the only model with a shield I've ever encountered lacking that part).

Also avoid most of the really early MGs unless you can get them really cheap, they're not bad, per se, but they're way outdated.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 26, 2012

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, how DO God and Master MGs still hold up? Is poo poo likely to fall off? Are they kinda stiff? Is their detailing clear and nice?

Basically, are they still worth buying, in this day and age?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, how DO God and Master MGs still hold up? Is poo poo likely to fall off? Are they kinda stiff? Is their detailing clear and nice?

Basically, are they still worth buying, in this day and age?

I have a MG God, and it still holds up well.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
The MG God is a great model, the side beam saber holders sometimes pry off if you get too adventurous with posing it, but that's par for the course. I just hate how chunky and...well, fat, it looks. I once saw a comparison of it side by side with a garage kit and the comparison was mindblowing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gundam Age-2 Normal, Launching!

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

:negative:

Hearing that the Ez8 is solid makes me smile though.

It is! I ordered it because I like the design and I'm not disappointed, dated by newer MG standards I guess, but otherwise very good.
I'm looking for something new to build. Are there any lines that have "western" mecha? I want to add a battletechish mech to my collection and I can't find anything.
There was the macross tomahawk model that's not in production any more (replaced by an action figure?) and that's pretty much all I found. I want a cockpit instead of a head and cannons instead of hands :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This is what I built for the pics in the OP. It was a fun kit, but it's way simpler than the stuff I normally build. There's usually some old Macross stuff available on Ebay pretty cheap though, and Hasegawa still make lots of 1/72 scale kits.

ETA: all the weird textures on the torso are a result of me brush-painting large sections where things went wrong. They're not part of the kit and not really noticable at non super-huge image sizes.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 27, 2012

• Locked thread