Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Quad posted:

So, having seen all 6 movies for the first time this year, I decided to start reading some EU as "junk books", things I can finish in 1 shift at work that don't involve a lot of thought. Chronologically by publication, I'm starting the Thrawn Trilogy today, after like 14 really lovely books.
This stuff gets better, right? I mean... It's really, really bad. Comically bad.
Also, jizz-wailer is the best word ever.

Read the X-wing series, then drive off into the sunset after work and never pick up another Star Wars book again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Pick up Allegiance and Death Star. Both are really good and give a good look at the other side of things.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Read Thrawn, X-Wing series, play X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and Dark Forces/Jedi Outcast, and KOTR and come to my world where all this other "expanded universe" and "prequel" stuff doesn't exist.

The space-game thread in Games has me thinking about X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and other great 90s space dogfighters. In addition to yearning for new games in the genre, I realized more than ever how the de-emphasis of the space battles in favor of weirder and weirder Force stuff has really hurt the Star Wars franchise. When I was a kid, the Death Star battles and asteroid chase were as cool and important as lightsaber duels.

Now?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

/\/\/\/
I specifically went out of my way to grab this magazine the other day because it has a write up on the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games. I really hope someday someone gets to make a great sequel or update to that series, but I'm doubtful it'll ever happen. Here's hoping the games show up on Gog.com at least!

I will say some, not all, but a decent amount of the comics are pretty good for EU stuff. I really like Legacy and the Rogue Squadron series was really fun to read.

As far as the books are concerned...

-X-Wing Series (can't comment on the Wraith series, I've yet to read them)
-Thrawn Series/Anything by Zahn
-Episode III Novelization
-The Han Solo Trilogy was enjoyable for me and some other people, but I might be in the minority segment for that one.

Hell, pretty much anything written before the prequels came out and doesn't have the name "Kevin J. Anderson" on the front should be a pretty decent read in comparison to post-prequel books.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Most books are crap, most comics are decent some games made in the mid to late nineties were awesome.

I'm still amazed that SWGemu is almost done and SWOTOR is going Free To Play.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Most books are crap, most comics are decent some games made in the mid to late nineties were awesome.

We mine as well go ahead and put that in the OP.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Fifty minutes (audio) of first world problems.

Judge John Hodgeman rules on whether a wife/mother can opt out on attending Celebration VI in cosplay.

http://www.maximumfun.org/judge-john-hodgman/judge-john-hodgman-episode-71-probable-cos-play

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Ugh, bought Mercy Kill on kindle but apparently the book vanished off the Amazon cloud servers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So Amazon recommended me this. Could be interesting, probably hilarious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

So Amazon recommended me this. Could be interesting, probably hilarious.

That's one of the books I've been most looking forwards to for ages now. I cannot wait til that finally comes out.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

I just finished reading Mercy Kill, as I am way gay for X-Wing books, much like the rest of you lot. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the older Rogue/Wraith squad books in my opinion.

Piggy being the main character was cool, but when did he turn space-racist against the Vong? I haven't read many of the new books after the Salvatore ones but I was taken aback at how much of a dick he was being to Scut. Also repeatedly mentioning that Myri was OMG WEDGE'S DAUGHTER and the Wedge shows up and does a partial saving of the day felt a bit ham-handed but whatever Wedge is cool regardless.

The ending did feel cool though, in traditional Wraith Squad~=A-team I love it when a plan comes together style.

Also gently caress you amazon for making me think I was only 70% done with the book but instead the rest is just samples from books I've already read or don't really care about :mad:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Markoff Chaney posted:

I just finished reading Mercy Kill, as I am way gay for X-Wing books, much like the rest of you lot. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the older Rogue/Wraith squad books in my opinion.

Piggy being the main character was cool, but when did he turn space-racist against the Vong? I haven't read many of the new books after the Salvatore ones but I was taken aback at how much of a dick he was being to Scut. Also repeatedly mentioning that Myri was OMG WEDGE'S DAUGHTER and the Wedge shows up and does a partial saving of the day felt a bit ham-handed but whatever Wedge is cool regardless.

The ending did feel cool though, in traditional Wraith Squad~=A-team I love it when a plan comes together style.

Also gently caress you amazon for making me think I was only 70% done with the book but instead the rest is just samples from books I've already read or don't really care about :mad:

I was a bit off-put by the space-racism, but you have to consider-- Vong are directly responsible for a couple trillion deaths across the galaxy, in the not-so distant past, one of which was Piggy's best bud. I don't know about you, but I can't even begin to think about the kind of mess your mind would be in from that. I'm willing to give that one a pass, personally.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

That's one of the books I've been most looking forwards to for ages now. I cannot wait til that finally comes out.

I have heard that it will include the very first picture of Cal Omas. I'm not entirely sure what the book will actually be about, though. Is it just a list of all the books and comics?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I would imagine Cal Omas looks something like conservative pundit Cal Thomas.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's taken three years, but KOTOR II is finally out on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/

Metal Loaf posted:

I have heard that it will include the very first picture of Cal Omas. I'm not entirely sure what the book will actually be about, though. Is it just a list of all the books and comics?

It's supposed to be a massive collection of summaries covering literally every Star Wars prose work written - novels, short stories, and comics - all in in-universe chronological order. Plus apparently over 100 full-color character illustrations commissioned especially for the book. I find that kind of impressive, if it's even pulled off in a way that's not just a one-paragraph vague blurb for everything.

But I think the gold standard for reference books is going to be the Essential Guide to Warfare for a long time. That was a hugely entertaining book whose value was far more than just reading lists of fleet compositions or flag officers.

As for Omas, I always imagined him being a kind of pudgy, prematurely balding bureaucratic-looking type.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Chairman Capone posted:

Holy poo poo this is great. I can finally go play the cut content restoration mod!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

astr0man posted:

Holy poo poo this is great. I can finally go play the cut content restoration mod!
Speaking of which, courtesy link of said mod.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

I was going to complain that I just deleted my Kotor2 gamedata to free up disc space, and then I realized the installer is an exe so it doesn't even matter anyways v:shobon:v

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well now this is good news. I never thought it'd happen. I hope VALVE will eventually open a Workshop for both games as they are quite moddable.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Still no Mac port :smith:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

Still no Mac port :smith:

This is why I kept around my original Xbox and copy of it. :colbert:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So, I just got through the first 2 of the Thrawn Trilogy, and it was pretty decent. But WHAT THE HELL is with Jedi Prince? I thought they were taking EU fiction seriously after Thrawn sold so well?
Can I just skip this lovely fanfic and not miss anything? Do they actually use "the 3 eyed mutant son of Emperor Palpatine and the Magic Glove" in anything important?

Quad fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 24, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

No, but you should read it anyways because it's hilariously bad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

No, but you should read it anyways because it's hilariously bad.

Or read the excellent review of it in the Bad Star Wars Books thread before it gets Gold Mined.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Quad posted:

So, I just got through the first 2 of the Thrawn Trilogy, and it was pretty decent. But WHAT THE HELL is with Jedi Prince? I thought they were taking EU fiction seriously after Thrawn sold so well?
Can I just skip this lovely fanfic and not miss anything? Do they actually use "the 3 eyed mutant son of Emperor Palpatine and the Magic Glove" in anything important?

As the person who wrote the write ups in the Bad Star Wars Book Thread, I'll say Jedi Prince is by no means necessary. As much as I like to joke that this is canon, they're really not. In that, they're never referenced again in any meaningful way. Either everyone in universe agreed that the things they did during those times were so stupid no one should ever talk about them, or they were stories told to Han and Leia's kids, and completely made up.

Either way, they're young adult books, pay no attention to them. Keep reading Zahn, Stackpole, and Stover instead.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

As the person who wrote the write ups in the Bad Star Wars Book Thread, I'll say Jedi Prince is by no means necessary. As much as I like to joke that this is canon, they're really not. In that, they're never referenced again in any meaningful way. Either everyone in universe agreed that the things they did during those times were so stupid no one should ever talk about them, or they were stories told to Han and Leia's kids, and completely made up.

Either way, they're young adult books, pay no attention to them. Keep reading Zahn, Stackpole, and Stover instead.

And the Allston books that are not LotF/FotJ.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I got to say though, I can remember back when I read them when I was 12 the drat things had that type size, writing style and even the loving insane illustrations that just screams THIS IS A BOOK FOR KIDS man.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

api call girl posted:

And the Allston books that are not LotF/FotJ.

Oh, right, of course him too.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

So they just revealed the Seth Green animated Star Wars comedy show that was announced a while back, it's called "Star Wars Detours" and it looks, um, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yRNXFhboBI

There's also an interview with the people behind the show, including Seth Green:

http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/08/24/star-wars-celebration-vi-star-wars-detours-new-from-robot-chicken-team/

The best part:

quote:

Green, “George gave us authority that “whatever you make up in this show is canon. The fans can deal with it.”

:negative:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

quote:

Green, “George gave us authority that “whatever you make up in this show is canon. The fans can deal with it.”

Hahahahahaha! I look forward to the future when all the wookiepedia contributors have to try to reconcile this show into their articles!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tomtrek posted:

So they just revealed the Seth Green animated Star Wars comedy show that was announced a while back, it's called "Star Wars Detours" and it looks, um, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yRNXFhboBI

There's also an interview with the people behind the show, including Seth Green:

http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/08/24/star-wars-celebration-vi-star-wars-detours-new-from-robot-chicken-team/

The best part:

:negative:

I...don't hate that. I'm going to have to check that out when it starts up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That's loving awful, even by Seth Green standards.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm sure Seth Green will use that power for good not evil since he is also a nerd. Right?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So is it marketed for...children? Or what? :confused:

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
The Ackbar gag had me laughing.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Looks like pretty standard fare to me. And I doubt they were serious about the canon thing. That line reeks of a bad joke.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Bunch of Star Wars book news out of Celebration VI. I don't have any of the websites up (posting from phone) but we're getting a Sword of the Jedi trilogy and a Zahn-penned ebook that's a Lando-centric prequel to Scoundrels.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Chairman Capone posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/

Seriously, if you have never played the KOTOR games, go play the KOTOR Games. They are hands down my favorite Star Wars stuff outside the Original three movies. That said I have never played KOTOR 2 with the cut content mod.

What I like the most about these games is that the Jedi are not painted in a favorable light. What the Jedi Council did to Revan was extremely hosed up in my opinion

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah, both games paint the Jedi Council(and the entire Jedi order, for that matter) as incompetent assholes. The Sith Lords in particular has some really spectacular ideas about the whole light/dark side nature of things. It's a shame that George pretty much gave a big "gently caress off" to all of it though.

Also, stay as far away from the book Revan as you can after playing these. It's terrible, and utterly diminishes everything these two games had accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What was the deal with KOTOR 2 ending? I've played KOTOR 1 a long time ago and loved it, but people told me to stay the hell out of 2. Is this still the case?