Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Captain Capitalism posted:

So, I did a draft, and I want to see what everyone thinks:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3dctv

I ended up with a very insane UB deck. I think you clung on to that boar too hard.

I agree with P1P1 and P1P2 but I took the ring over the boar. Arbor Elf 4th seems bad to me since Switcharoo is by far the most powerful card in the pack, whereas Boar lets you stay on color if you want to go that direction. I took Switch. Faerie Invaders is insane and seeing it 5th is a signal to me. I didn't take a red card for the rest of the pack-- Sleep, Archeomancer, Tricks, Shade. Harbor Bandit 10th is ridiculous and cements me in UB after picking that Shade.

Black and blue were just very open through the entire draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

accordingtojosh
Jun 21, 2005
Wow. P1P1: Foil Tamiyo, P2P1: Tamiyo.

Also got 2 Into the Void, 3 Gryff Vanguard, and other goodies.

If I don't win this draft I should quit magic.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
If anyone wants to see a crazy draft, Sam Black (http://www.twitch.tv/samuelhblack) is going all-in on mono-red goblins with P1P1 Arms Dealer, P2P1 Krenko, and like a dozen other goblins.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

Every time I cast Mindclaw Shaman, the only instant or sorcery in my opponent's hand is Divine Verdict.

There was a team draft last week. I was playing EDH in the next room.
Suddenly, "WOOOOWWWWWW", say about 6 people.
When I asked what happened: "Mindclaw Shaman hit Planar Cleansing, both in last game AND JUST NOW"

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/xomfgtomx if anyone would like to watch me crash and burn (or maybe not!!!)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My favorite mindclaw shaman play is when I cast it, looked in my opponents hands and saw a forest, 2 bountiful harvests and an angel's mercy. I had to seriously decided "uuhhh which is the better spell here?"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

My favorite mindclaw shaman play is when I cast it, looked in my opponents hands and saw a forest, 2 bountiful harvests and an angel's mercy. I had to seriously decided "uuhhh which is the better spell here?"

If you have more than 7 lands, Bountiful Harvest. Otherwise, Angel's Mercy.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

He had 5 lands in play, and counting the land in his hand thats 6 lands so I did infact cast angels mercy.

Needless to see, that was an long game where my opponent just played life gain cards and practically nothing else. FNM Drafting at its finest :v:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
You laugh at the lifegain/ramp deck, but just wait until they slam down a Serra's Avatar at 30 life on turn 5.

BewareTheCheese
Apr 23, 2012

Jet Set Jettison posted:

He had 5 lands in play, and counting the land in his hand thats 6 lands so I did infact cast angels mercy.

Needless to see, that was an long game where my opponent just played life gain cards and practically nothing else. FNM Drafting at its finest :v:

Honestly speaking, if you mindclawed an opponent in a draft and all he had in his hand were 3 life gain spells, I would be very disappointed if you didn't end up winning that match. Then again, I'm personally a midrange/control type player, so I guess I tend to look down on stall decks relying on lifegain that isn't lifelink based. Serra Avatar? Meet Murder! :black101:

Speaking of mindclaw and lifelink, I played a draft recently where my opponent threw one down as a last resort, hoping to pull a reversal out of my hand while he was on the brink of defeat. He pulled my switcheroo, took my Arctic Aven, and proceeded to carry the match with it because I was out of fliers. :bang:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I was too busy laughing to be mad at losing to the dreaded Kraken Hatchling -> Dark Favor -> Mark of the Vampire -> Tricks of the Trade combo.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I finally have enough cards to test out my Modern Peasant cube this weekend! For some reason only half of the sleeves I ordered have come in so far, which means I'm limited to a 6 person draft or maybe a 2HG sealed thing. Working on getting this together has been a lot of fun so I'm pretty pumped to see how it works in practice!

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Final match of FNM draft, game 2, I've won the first so I'm playing for all the marbles, and there was a clogged board state. Both of us are trying to topdeck an answer, and I get a trumpet blast. I fire a searing spear and trumpet blast, targetting some creatures as unable to block with my battle jester, then try and decide if I can attack for fatal and still have blockers if he has safe passage, while still playing around Yeva, Divine Verdict, Rain of Blades, and the like. Douchebag unskilled spectator says "You're dead anyway if he has safe passage, swing with everything" while I'm working out the combat math. I tell him that I can figure out the math myself, and my opponent gets real upset saying outside assistance can lead to a game loss. I scoff, saying that makes no sense otherwise people would just pay random dudes to spout advice at their opponents at the pro-tour, but the judges seem to agree with him, and give me a warning. Anyway, I do enough math to realize that I can't maintain enough defensive presence to survive, and just swing with everything. My opponent realizes he can't win and scoops, then immediately starts telling the judges he should have issued a game loss, since I followed the advice and it led me to victory. Anyway... I go back and read the rules tonight after the tournament, and sure enough it says "Outside Assistance - Game Loss" as recommended consequence for the infraction, but on further review the rules read: "Players may not use electronic devices to access outside strategic sources (websites, forums, etc) or communicate with others in order to receive outside assistance." and nothing further. Additionally it says "Spectators are responsible for:
• Remaining silent and passive during matches and other official tournament sections, such as Limited deck construction, in which players are also required to be silent." It seems to me that I did nothing to merit a warning, much less a game loss, since I did not "communicate with others to receive outside assistance" but all the judges seemed to think the rules stated otherwise. However, IANAJ, so my interpretation of the rules may be wrong. I don't really have an axe to grind, since me and my opponent both could have gotten in trouble for unsportsmanlike conduct due to our language, and did not... but I would like to be sure, in case this situation comes up again. I don't want to have to tell every spectator to go away immediately just in fear that they may not know the rules or that they are too ADD to keep their mouth shut.

Shovelmint fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 25, 2012

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
IANAJ either but if those who are can confirm that your interpretation of the rules is correct, I wouldn't let your lack of an axe to grind stop you from making whatever reports are appropriate to the higher authorities. Judges at low level events making bad calls and enabling players who do that sort of scummy fishing for penalties is a problem in my book, because even if the event is one that "doesn't matter," a judge siding with the local loudmouth rules lawyer can have a chilling effect on the experience of players who aren't assertive, confident or knowledgeable enough to defend themselves.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Probably doing a draft on http://www.twitch.tv/xomfgtomx in the next 15-30 mins. Hit it up to watch me haphazardly reach victory whilst wrestling like an old lady with the streaming software!

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Shovelmint posted:

Final match of FNM draft, game 2, I've won the first so I'm playing for all the marbles, and there was a clogged board state. Both of us are trying to topdeck an answer, and I get a trumpet blast. I fire a searing spear and trumpet blast, targetting some creatures as unable to block with my battle jester, then try and decide if I can attack for fatal and still have blockers if he has safe passage, while still playing around Yeva, Divine Verdict, Rain of Blades, and the like. Douchebag unskilled spectator says "You're dead anyway if he has safe passage, swing with everything" while I'm working out the combat math. I tell him that I can figure out the math myself, and my opponent gets real upset saying outside assistance can lead to a game loss. I scoff, saying that makes no sense otherwise people would just pay random dudes to spout advice at their opponents at the pro-tour, but the judges seem to agree with him, and give me a warning. Anyway, I do enough math to realize that I can't maintain enough defensive presence to survive, and just swing with everything. My opponent realizes he can't win and scoops, then immediately starts telling the judges he should have issued a game loss, since I followed the advice and it led me to victory. Anyway... I go back and read the rules tonight after the tournament, and sure enough it says "Outside Assistance - Game Loss" as recommended consequence for the infraction, but on further review the rules read: "Players may not use electronic devices to access outside strategic sources (websites, forums, etc) or communicate with others in order to receive outside assistance." and nothing further. Additionally it says "Spectators are responsible for:
• Remaining silent and passive during matches and other official tournament sections, such as Limited deck construction, in which players are also required to be silent." It seems to me that I did nothing to merit a warning, much less a game loss, since I did not "communicate with others to receive outside assistance" but all the judges seemed to think the rules stated otherwise. However, IANAJ, so my interpretation of the rules may be wrong. I don't really have an axe to grind, since me and my opponent both could have gotten in trouble for unsportsmanlike conduct due to our language, and did not... but I would like to be sure, in case this situation comes up again. I don't want to have to tell every spectator to go away immediately just in fear that they may not know the rules or that they are too ADD to keep their mouth shut.
it's regular REL, you pretty much can't get a game loss unless you punch someone.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kind of curious about what deck you guys would build from this pool:

edit: I was going to ult Ajani with me on 20 life and a Faith's Reward in hand, but my opponent decided to concede instead.
second edit: I have now opened more Ajani's than Talrand's Invocations.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 25, 2012

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'd build like this:

Guardian Lions
Pillarfield Ox
Captain's Call
Captain's Call
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Safe Passage
Ajani's Sunstriker
Silvercoat Lion
Arbor Elf
Farseek
Deadly Recluse
Flinthoof Boar
Naturalize
Cenataur Courser
Fungal Sprouting
Spiked Baloth
Ring of Kalonia
Elixer of Immortality
6 Forest
6 Plains

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Shovelmint posted:

Should I have gotten a game loss?

As a newly minted judge I can tell you that it's really up to the judge's discretion to give you a warning or not (I would not have if after investigation the spectator was just a random spouting advice for no reason, and you didn't know him).

Also as Scribe Jones pointed out, there's no instant game loss penalties at Regular REL (Friday Night Magic, Gamesdays, Pre-releases), but judges can give warnings that can be upgraded to a game loss if the situation is serious enough (theft, violence, verbal threats etc).

If the next time a spectator does make some comments which may be interpreted as advice, be the first one to wave a judge down or just talk to the person and say that if they want to watch to just be quiet. I know you're frustrated and I can see why, but FNM has always been about casual fun so you definitely don't want to be 'that guy' who calls people douchebags or what-not or the internet.

Limited discussion: Just had a Avacyn sealed with Captain of the Mists, Gallows, Gloom Surgeon, Revenge of the Hunted, Arcane Melee and Broodwing Dragon. And no power commons or uncommons, while one opponent had 2x Forcemages and Mist Ravens, Tracker, one had 3 deathwinds and a temporal mastery and one opened a bonfire. Avaycn is a cruel mistress
:negative:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Limited discussion: Just had a Avacyn sealed with Captain of the Mists, Gallows, Gloom Surgeon, Revenge of the Hunted, Arcane Melee and Broodwing Dragon. And no power commons or uncommons, while one opponent had 2x Forcemages and Mist Ravens, Tracker, one had 3 deathwinds and a temporal mastery and one opened a bonfire. Avaycn is a cruel mistress
:negative:

That's what you get for playing one of the worst limited formats in recent memory instead of one of the best!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm fairly new to drafting, but I'm really enjoying M13. Got to the finals today by being passed a lot of ridiculously good stuff after opening Sublime Archangel P1P1.

Somehow got passed Staff of Nin P2P2 (what do you take over that?) and then got passed Stormtide Leviathan (when I ways already heavily in blue) and Intrepid Hero later in that pack.

Ended up with the following

quote:

Creature (11)
1x Arctic Aven
1x Faerie Invaders
1x Guardians of Akrasa
1x Healer of the Pride
1x Intrepid Hero
1x Stormtide Leviathan
1x Sublime Archangel
1x Warclamp Mastiff
2x Welkin Tern
1x Wind Drake

Artifact (3)
1x Ring of Evos Isle
1x Ring of Thune
1x Staff of Nin

Instant (2)
1x Divine Verdict
1x Safe Passage

Sorcery (3)
1x Divination
2x Talrand's Invocation

Enchantment (4)
1x Encrust
3x Pacifism

Land (17)
9x Island
8x Plains

Pretty sure no one else was really trying for blue. I found out after that the guy to my right hate-drafted both Void Stalker and Sphinx of Uthuun even though he was R/B. :argh:

I lost in the final to our LGS's most experienced drafter who is miles better than any of the rest of us and was playing a deceptively good W/B with Trading Post as his only rare. He beat me down Game 1 with a Ringed-Up Knight of Infamy that I couldn't draw a blue creature to block, and Game 2 he survived long enough with Trading Post to outrace my fliers. I had him in a position where he had to keep the card he draw every turn to discard to Trading Post because he was at 4 life and I had two drakes he couldn't block. He topdecked Divine Favor of all things to out-race me.

Trading Post is a legit bomb.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Went 2-1 at FNM last night, it was my second time drafting so I felt pretty good about it all things considered and it was nice to break my recent streak of winning the first round and then losing the rest. P1p1 Was a Sunpetal Grove and nothing else exciting, so i went with it. The rest of the pack seemed like green and white were pretty open. P2p1 was a Glacial Fortress without much excitement, so I grabbed that for blue splashes. Then p3p1 was my second Sunpetal Grove so I decided to go hog wild on a consistent mana base. I'm noticing that I have a tendency to settle on my colors early on and stick with it so I stop paying much attention to other colors and focus on what's the best in my colors at the expense of thinking about moving in to different colors. For example, I passed what seemed like a pretty late Searing Spear In pack one for something that was on color but not that great, like a fog or something.

I the decked worked relatively well primarily because it was pretty consistent, I rarely had cards stuck in my hand for lack of mana. It was pretty good for putting down a steady stream of dudes and pushing damage through. It did suffer from mana flood at times but I never missed a land drop until I cut to 16 lands for the third round. It would have been nice to have something to do late game with all the extra mana I had, but I can't think of anything that would have done that for me in my colors. My removal was pretty lackluster but I didn't suffer too much because of it, but i did fold hard to removal. My match loss in round 2 came to a guy who had drafted a Crimson Muckwader with all the BR removal deck and I couldn't keep up.

The deck may have also been helped by the meta of my pod (if there is such a thing) in that there were relatively few bombs opened and there was a lot of chatter about how weak the packs seemed; the bombiest cards anyone mentioned were Akroma's Memorial and mutilate. Meanwhile, the other pod opened a foil and regular Chandra, two hellkites, Ajani, and some Cathedrals of War. I don't know if this is a thing or not, but the other pod's top 2 decks looked like they would have destroyed our pod's top 2 decks.

Here's the final deck list I ended up running in the last round, any feedback would be much appreciated.
2x bond beetle
1x fog
2x unsummon
3x elvish visionary
2x farseek
1x glorious charge
1x Silvercoat lion
1x Serra avenger
1x serpent's gift
1x yeva's forcemage
1x prized elephant
1x divine verdict
1x tricks of the trade
1x primal huntbeast
1x roaring primadox
2x battleflight eagle
1x sentinel spider
1x switcheroo
2x vastwood gorger

2x sunpetal grove
1x glacial fortress
6x forest
5x plains
2x island

Sideboard
1x plummet
1x revive
1x ranger's path
2x negate
1x erase
1x pillarfield ox
1x guardian lions

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BXCX posted:

Went 2-1 at FNM last night, it was my second time drafting so I felt pretty good about it all things considered and it was nice to break my recent streak of winning the first round and then losing the rest. P1p1 Was a Sunpetal Grove and nothing else exciting, so i went with it. The rest of the pack seemed like green and white were pretty open. P2p1 was a Glacial Fortress without much excitement, so I grabbed that for blue splashes. Then p3p1 was my second Sunpetal Grove so I decided to go hog wild on a consistent mana base. I'm noticing that I have a tendency to settle on my colors early on and stick with it so I stop paying much attention to other colors and focus on what's the best in my colors at the expense of thinking about moving in to different colors. For example, I passed what seemed like a pretty late Searing Spear In pack one for something that was on color but not that great, like a fog or something.

I the decked worked relatively well primarily because it was pretty consistent, I rarely had cards stuck in my hand for lack of mana. It was pretty good for putting down a steady stream of dudes and pushing damage through. It did suffer from mana flood at times but I never missed a land drop until I cut to 16 lands for the third round. It would have been nice to have something to do late game with all the extra mana I had, but I can't think of anything that would have done that for me in my colors. My removal was pretty lackluster but I didn't suffer too much because of it, but i did fold hard to removal. My match loss in round 2 came to a guy who had drafted a Crimson Muckwader with all the BR removal deck and I couldn't keep up.

The deck may have also been helped by the meta of my pod (if there is such a thing) in that there were relatively few bombs opened and there was a lot of chatter about how weak the packs seemed; the bombiest cards anyone mentioned were Akroma's Memorial and mutilate. Meanwhile, the other pod opened a foil and regular Chandra, two hellkites, Ajani, and some Cathedrals of War. I don't know if this is a thing or not, but the other pod's top 2 decks looked like they would have destroyed our pod's top 2 decks.

Here's the final deck list I ended up running in the last round, any feedback would be much appreciated.
2x bond beetle
1x fog
2x unsummon
3x elvish visionary
2x farseek
1x glorious charge
1x Silvercoat lion
1x Serra avenger
1x serpent's gift
1x yeva's forcemage
1x prized elephant
1x divine verdict
1x tricks of the trade
1x primal huntbeast
1x roaring primadox
2x battleflight eagle
1x sentinel spider
1x switcheroo
2x vastwood gorger

2x sunpetal grove
1x glacial fortress
6x forest
5x plains
2x island

Sideboard
1x plummet
1x revive
1x ranger's path
2x negate
1x erase
1x pillarfield ox
1x guardian lions
Dual lands aren't great first picks unless you really really want them for constructed.
Mana-fixing isn't as high a priority as removal or creatures with evasion.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yeah, dual lands aren't really very good and will probably table a good amount of the time. Fixing is nice and all, but this format both has Evolving Wilds and pushes you toward basic land for the allied creature cycle (each of which is insane).

A few of the inclusions in the deck seem pretty off. Fog, for example, is pretty bad and even worse in a deck that looks like it wants to beat down a fair amount. Serpent's Gift is very bad since it's a combat trick that will almost always 2-for-1 yourself. Even when it works it's a marginal/bad removal spell (casting it on a 2/4 attacking into opponent's 2/4) or a stone blank. I also don't really like Glorious Charge in a deck with multiple Vastwood Gorgers.

I think I'd cut Serpent's Gift and Fog for Pillarfield Ox and either Plummet or Revive. They're not cards that I love, but Fog just seems actively against this deck's gameplan.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I definitely valued the duals more highly because I'd like to pick up a playset for constructed and I think I also overvalue consistency. I didn't think that something like duals would ever table, so that's something I'll be keeping in mind for next time. Also, people were just giving or throwing away their non-money cards at the end, which blew my mind. One guy came up to me at the end and asked if I was the guy that drafted the duals deck and then gave me a glacial fortress he opened in a prize pack and didn't want. The guy who came in second in my pod drafted an exalted deck just handed all his cards to a guy who has been playing for a month because he overheard the new guy talking about the exalted deck he was working on. I don't know if this is common thing or not but it should help me get over raredrafting the next time I go.

In hindsight I can tell that the fog wasn't a good idea, I didn't draw it in any of the games so I didn't see it suck in action, but I can't think of a situation I was in where a fog would have been helpful. I maindecked Serpent's Gift because I was thinking I was short on removal, but it was not helpful except when I got to discard it to ravenous rats. I also thought that I should have more than one three drop for the sake of my mana curve, but the deck really didn't have a problem with it and was often to able to ramp to 4 lands by turn 3. I think Tricks of the Trade was also an iffy inclusion, but I was hoping to live the dream of putting it on Primal Huntbeast (I didn't).

I left out Pillarfield Ox because I thought I had too many four drops. Revive would have been better for nothing else than bringing back Roaring Primadox, who drew a lot of hate as soon as it hit the table. Revive also would have probably been a good maindeck given how many fliers I ran in to.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

camoseven posted:

I'd build like this:

Guardian Lions
Pillarfield Ox
Captain's Call
Captain's Call
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Safe Passage
Ajani's Sunstriker
Silvercoat Lion
Arbor Elf
Farseek
Deadly Recluse
Flinthoof Boar
Naturalize
Cenataur Courser
Fungal Sprouting
Spiked Baloth
Ring of Kalonia
Elixer of Immortality
6 Forest
6 Plains

I ended up running something kind of similar. I played the Duskdale Worm instead of an Elixir and I decided I'd rather have Faith's Reward than the Ox. I also splashed for a single Mountain instead of running six forests.

Reward isn't as great with all of the token generation, but it did end up with a total blowout on a turn where my opponent swung a Shimian Specter and tron'd up Faerie Invaders into Ajani to kill him, Essence Drained my 3/4 Deadly Recluse to finish it off, and then got the Faith's Reward with a Safe Passage blowout to kill the Invaders next turn.

Faith's Reward Blowouts: 2
Safe Passage Blowouts: 3

I ended up getting the 3-0 in this deck, although for two games I sided into a U/B deck running:

Sign In Blood
Harbor Bandit
Mind Rot
Cower in Fear
Mark of the Vampire
Liliana's Shadex2
Essence Drain
Hydro Surge
Welkin Tern
Augur of Bolas
Mind Sculpt
Negate
Tricks of the Trade
Vedalken Entrancer
Rewind
Harbor Serpent
6 Swamp
6 Island

The U/B version of the deck crushed in both games I sided into it, but I only lost a single game during the event and that was to a Stormtide Leviathan. The W/G version had absolutely no way to deal with that, although I did have both Captain's Calls and the Duskdale Wurm on the board waiting to sprout some fungus and alpha. Then he cast Leviathan.

Ultimately I wonder if the U/B version wouldn't have been the better deck, but the two games I played with it were basically the nuts. t2 SIB into t3 Harbor Bandit with an island on board into t4 Mark of the Vampire against a tapped out R/U, then in match 3 I ended up getting an on curve Shade and hitting Mark of the Vampire and Tricks with Negate backup. It's obviously not going to do that every time, but I am genuinely curious how it would have done.

The red was obviously totally unplayable.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea I thought about the Mountain splash, but I don't play much 30 card so I'm not sure how tight the mana ends up being. Same with Duskdale. U/B just seems like it's trying to do too many different things, and I think you probably got lucky with those draws. Again, though, I don't play much 30 card, and I'm sure the decks are, in general, much less powerful than in other limited formats.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

camoseven posted:

Yea I thought about the Mountain splash, but I don't play much 30 card so I'm not sure how tight the mana ends up being. Same with Duskdale. U/B just seems like it's trying to do too many different things, and I think you probably got lucky with those draws. Again, though, I don't play much 30 card, and I'm sure the decks are, in general, much less powerful than in other limited formats.

The W/G was probably the better deck in a vacuum, but my r2 and r3 opponents were on the "all welkin terns and wind drakes" gameplans, and that W/G deck folds miserably to that one. Deadly Recluse did a lot of work in g1 of r2 taking out a huge Faerie Invaders, two Wind Drakes, and a Shimian Specter, but realistically I'm not going to curve Recluse into Ajani often enough to survive against all those flyers.

30 card is kind of swingy, but I felt okay splashing a single Mountain to get with the Farseek and turn on boar. I never saw the Mountain, Farseek, or Boar in the same game, and I was never punished by the Mountain, so it turned out fine.

I don't think this is the 3-0 pool and I really hate building decks from pools like this one, where it feels like I've got about 5-7 playables in four colors but none of them deep enough to make a main color and no real synergy. So thanks for the feedback, I hope someone else will chime in because I had no idea what to do with this pool at all, and I get pools like this a lot.

Can't complain about 5 packs and an Ajani though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im bored, you're bored its late why not watch me draft? Ill make questionable plays for your pleasure http://www.twitch.tv/jetsetjettison

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
If you're also bored and want to watch two goons shotgun beers after every round and get heckled, come check us out too! TOP WIZARD!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

rabidsquid posted:

Can't complain about 5 packs and an Ajani though.

I didn't realize that those 4 pack sealed queues gave out 5 packs for 3-0 and 3 packs for 2-1. That's actually not too bad, and I gave it a go just now. I went 2-1 with a pretty decent BW exalted list, and then got crushed in the finals by Jace. Jace is stupid in 40 card, and is actually unbeatable in 30 card. So grats to the guy who opened it and then cast it in literally every game of the tourney, I guess.

My bitterness aside, 3 packs isn't bad, and I opened 10% of the cards I was missing for a redemption set, including a mythic. 70 cards to go, hooray!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

camoseven posted:

I didn't realize that those 4 pack sealed queues gave out 5 packs for 3-0 and 3 packs for 2-1. That's actually not too bad, and I gave it a go just now. I went 2-1 with a pretty decent BW exalted list, and then got crushed in the finals by Jace. Jace is stupid in 40 card, and is actually unbeatable in 30 card. So grats to the guy who opened it and then cast it in literally every game of the tourney, I guess.

My bitterness aside, 3 packs isn't bad, and I opened 10% of the cards I was missing for a redemption set, including a mythic. 70 cards to go, hooray!

Yeah, getting 3 packs for a 2-1 is a pretty good payout, and of course 5 packs for the 3-0 is all profit. You aren't kidding, Jace is unbeatable in 4 pack sealed. Mill in generally is really strong. Increasing Confusion was ridiculously good, the Dream Twist deck was a thing, and Sands or Jace in m13 are just gross. Sands you can maybe beat if you have artifact removal, but against Jace you've got to hope your pool can support a 40 card deck or they don't draw Jace. Mind Sculpt is pretty strong in 4 pack, especially if you've got multiples or an Archaeomancer. Actually depending on how defensive your deck is, a single Vedalken Entrancer can get there. By t4, assuming no card draw and an opponent on the play with a 7 hand keep, their deck is already at 20 cards. That's a six turn clock by itself. Throw in a single Mind Sculpt and you've got a decent alternate win condition and all you've really sacrificed for it is a single potentially useless card, and a Horned Turtle, and Horned Turtle is always sweet, even if this one costs four mana.

4 pack AVR was nearly unplayable, but I don't feel like m13 is that swingy, but I'm obviously in SSS territory still with only having done four. Still, I've opened two Ajanis and sixteen packs and I'm down to 18 from my starting 20 from Release events. I'm pretty sure 4 pack sealed has better EV than 4-3-2-2 and swiss draft even with a relatively low winning percentage.

edit: Four pack sealed also pays out a single pack for the 1-2. Even if your deck is completely useless and everything goes against you, you stand a pretty good shot of getting a pack out of it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen both players in the 0-2 bracket have dropped before the last round starts and one of them has thrown away a pack by not bothering to check the standings.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 26, 2012

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
4-pack sealed is great fun, and not too much a matter of luck. But it really does bite to be blown out by the guy who built W/U/B with Nefarox, Murder, Pacifism, Public Execution, Encrust, Unsummon, Talrand's Invocation, Archaeomancer, double Arctic Aven. It doesn't seem too hard to play 3 colours in this format, not when you have so few cards to draw through.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea I'm gonna get pretty addicted to this format. Every game has been fun so far, and I feel like there are a million different "correct" builds. This queue I've been boarding into different colors every game just for fun.

Also, not having to gently caress around with my collection to sell stuff for tickets is a HUGE plus. Win packs, use packs, win more packs. Simple pimple.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

4 pack AVR was nearly unplayable,
I played a bunch with a friend on skype and it was pretty uncanny how for the first like, eight of them we had endlessly hilarious games with poo poo like smuggling Tyrant of Discord, people defanging a homicidal seclusive malignus, opponent infinite reflection howlgeist and ghostly flickering angel of glory's rise while the opponent makes AFDSAFGDG noises in chat.

But after the luck ran out and we played against nothing but WG and UG for several games until we gave up on it. The match where opponent did nothing on turn 2-4 and then plays Cathar's Crusade before going like, 7 creatures in three turns, every game... Anyway it's sad how it's a fun format hidden under a pile of lovely unplayables and too strong archetypes.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

I think I'm doing this one all wrong. Does anyone have any thoughts?

e: Cut Scroll Thief for Index, which will ideally smooth out a messy-looking deck and really help...

flyingkiwi fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 27, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

flyingkiwi posted:

e: Cut Scroll Thief for Index, which will ideally smooth out a messy-looking deck and really help...

Never play Index. Index is a terrible, awful card. Seeing the words "I cut Scroll Thief for Index" just made my heart sink.

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept

flyingkiwi posted:

If you're playing green, play Predatory Rampage. If you're going to splash something, splash that Xathrid Gorgon. If you're going to run double prey upon, run bigger creatures than two faeries and a recluse. Index is not a good card no matter how you look at it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

dag01 posted:

If you're playing green, play Predatory Rampage. If you're going to splash something, splash that Xathrid Gorgon. If you're going to run double prey upon, run bigger creatures than two faeries and a recluse. Index is not a good card no matter how you look at it.

I was going to suggest Predatory Rampage too, but that's not going to work with only three forests and no fixing.

I think R/U wouldn't have been awful, just running flyers, Geyser, Flames, and Turn to Slag, maybe some Fire Elementals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

rabidsquid posted:

I was going to suggest Predatory Rampage too, but that's not going to work with only three forests and no fixing.

I think R/U wouldn't have been awful, just running flyers, Geyser, Flames, and Turn to Slag, maybe some Fire Elementals.

It'd be very slow, which is why I didn't go with that. Index is pretty crap, I didn't draw it but I can't imagine any point where I would've wanted to.