Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Those screenshots look awesome. I know there was some single vs multi-protagonist discussion earlier but despite what you guys think it will be, do you want multiple protagonists? I really don't know how I feel about having more than one main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
I'm loving all these screen shots as of late. It's nice to have something to tide us over until another trailer arrives or they start their design and tech video series for the game(like they did with RDR, LA Noire, and Max Payne 3).

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
All I want is a helicopter with a magnetic winch on it like in that GTA SA mission. Why couldn't they make that chopper usable at all times?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

davebo posted:

The second I saw that pic I knew you called up rockstar and demanded more cambered wheels in this game. If they start slamming cars so we can't go off-road or hop curbs I'm blaming you.

All I can say is :getin:.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

LARRY JEW posted:

Those screenshots look awesome. I know there was some single vs multi-protagonist discussion earlier but despite what you guys think it will be, do you want multiple protagonists? I really don't know how I feel about having more than one main character.

If you think about GTA IV, it was super fun to see the city from all the different angles that having three separate and complete storylines had to offer. As long as the multiple protagonists concept doesn't detract from the integrity of each of the individual storylines, I don't see why it couldn't be fun. And if you only like one storyline, just stay in that one after you beat the campaign! Like we had to do before they released the expansions originally anyway.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Would it be spergy of me to point out the brand new police car and helicopter?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

LARRY JEW posted:

If they have separate campaigns (which you can choose between when you start the game) with unique storylines and gameplay differences that make sense then I'm okay with it. Not sure how well it'd work with the narrative jumping around.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Knightmare posted:

God I hope you can steal a car off a loving car carrier truck. That would be so badass. The fact that some dudes climbing on it makes me think so.

The trick will be stealing the car without getting it all hosed up and damaged rolling off the back of a speeding carrier truck.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

davebo posted:

Did anyone play it?

It was released pretty drat early in the 360's life, if I remember correctly. Like back when there were no great games for it so a lot of people got it out of boredom. Supposedly it was a really polished game that played well, but I'm not speaking from experience there so you might trust someone else's opinion more than mine.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 24, 2012

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

After 5 years on the east coast, it was time to go home.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Install Gentoo posted:

The trick will be stealing the car without getting it all hosed up and damaged rolling off the back of a speeding carrier truck.

The trick will be flipping into a handbrake turn from 80mph and launching all the cars off the back.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Holy poo poo. The graphics improvement in the past decade is crazy.

Physical posted:

I loved the driving too. GTA 4 multiplayer races were the best races out of any game I've played. It was a great racing sim. And that was before they even fixed the bugs.

This. The driving controls in GTA4 were so realistic. Going to games like SR3 where your car accelerates instantly turned me off.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I hope there are more magical swing sets in GTA V. So much time spent launching cars in IV.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Coolodile posted:

After 5 years on the east coast, it was time to go home.

If that isn't the GTA V thread title I'm giving up on this board.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Knightmare posted:

The trick will be flipping into a handbrake turn from 80mph and launching all the cars off the back.

That's for the multiplayer!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

One of the things I missed in GTA IV the most from San Andreas was tractor trailers. I sure hope this confirms that they're driveable.

Also give me tractors and tow trucks that can latch onto other tractors and tow trucks so I can make giant farm trains again!

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Erwin posted:

One of the things I missed in GTA IV the most from San Andreas was tractor trailers. I sure hope this confirms that they're driveable.

Also give me tractors and tow trucks that can latch onto other tractors and tow trucks so I can make giant farm trains again!
Just Cause 2 grappling hook as well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

davebo posted:

Did anyone play it? Didn't seem like there was a whole lot to it aside from wiggling a controller, so I can't imagine what it's like once you take that away.

It was a LOT deeper on other consoles. Imagine something like Top Spin but with table tennis instead of normal tennis.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Physical posted:

Its going to be a whole mission or maybe a subset of missions like taxi driving or vigilante. (This is my eager speculation).

Or a car theft/collection side mission. "There's a shipment of the new Banshees coming in from the docks tonight. I want one."

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Physical posted:

Just Cause 2 grappling hook as well.

Too bad this will never happen. Oh well, I'm happy to see some great countryside because that's where I spent most of my time in SA.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

LARRY JEW posted:

It's been handled pretty well in other Rockstar games!

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Physical posted:

To all the GTA 4 dislikers, that game rules. Who cares about the story (I personally liked it), just skip the cutscenes and do missions. Don't like the controls? Well sorry about that but I loving loved them. You can vault over stuff and keep running and poo poo. You gotta control your character like he has inertia though so if a car nips him in the knew you may go down if you try to be too forceful and don't go with the flow.

I loved the driving too. GTA 4 multiplayer races were the best races out of any game I've played. It was a great racing sim. And that was before they even fixed the bugs.

God drat I wanna work at Rockstar on one of these games. Rockstar and Valve.

Have to agree with you there I loved the driving I never understood how people hated GTA4's driving and loved Saints row 2/3's driving.

I used to play the poo poo out of the online multiplayer races in GTA4 you would occassionally get people setting up roadblocks trying to knock out the race leaders. It made for some really good races definatelly when you were in the lead group.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

It was a LOT deeper on other consoles. Imagine something like Top Spin but with table tennis instead of normal tennis.

Yeah, R* Table Tennis was a good game. I find it more fun than any regular Tennis game I've played.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I like the driving in the Saints Row games and GTA IV. They both just have their learning curves. If you think that "OH MY GOD driving a car around GTA IV is like guiding wet noodle cars" (or whatever) you have to remember that, in real life, do you always floor it with your car? In some missions I've found applying the L brakes a bit and slowing down always gets me through corners fine. Saints Row driving is a bit more "arcade" like but you still don't go full throttle in it either.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

LARRY JEW posted:

I hope they make the very different from each other - I want one of them actually be a bad-rear end guy who knows his way around various criminal activities. Stop equating emotional wrecks with character depth, Rockstar. Oh, and also stop letting other characters in the story give me orders to do menial poo poo and have my character jump at it.

If I just shot a security guard and hijacked a truck full of sports cars, my character better respond to "Drop what you are doing and come play darts!" with a quick and concise "Go to hell."

Pretty much give me somebody like John Marsdon again. I liked playing as him.

Physical posted:

To all the GTA 4 dislikers, that game rules. Who cares about the story (I personally liked it), just skip the cutscenes and do missions. Don't like the controls? Well sorry about that but I loving loved them. You can vault over stuff and keep running and poo poo. You gotta control your character like he has inertia though so if a car nips him in the knew you may go down if you try to be too forceful and don't go with the flow.

God drat I wanna work at Rockstar on one of these games. Rockstar and Valve.

Having realistic inertia is all good and fun provided the character you're controlling does certain things autonomously - getting stuck on doorways, chairs and tables is a major frustration in a firefight. They improved it quite a bit in Red Dead Redemption, so I'm sure they'll improve it again for this.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 25, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The wilderness shots are making me loving crazy giddy with anticipation. I'm crossing my balls that the extra-city area of the game is sufficiently enormous.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mammal Sauce posted:

If they have separate campaigns (which you can choose between when you start the game) with unique storylines and gameplay differences that make sense then I'm okay with it. Not sure how well it'd work with the narrative jumping around.

Yeah I would really enjoy having an Episodes from Liberty City feel where you're able to play a completely separate storyline in the same city and every so often come into contact with the other storyline and see it from a different perspective.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I hope you can play as a female cop. I think it'd be a nice change for GTA, not only playing as a cop, but a woman.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Himuro posted:

I hope you can play as a female cop. I think it'd be a nice change for GTA, not only playing as a cop, but a woman.

A cop who commits grand theft auto...?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Cop by day, car thief by night.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don't think playing as a cop would work in a GTA game, but I would also like a woman main character, and was kind of disappointed that both possible protagonists in the trailer are men. Though the nerd rage would be terrible to behold, judging by the reaction many fans had to playing as a black man in San Andreas.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who didn't like playing as CJ? He's by far my favorite GTA protagonist. Also I'm not sure about playing as a woman. How would I gently caress the hookers and kill them for my money afterwards?

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"

bef posted:

Who didn't like playing as CJ? He's by far my favorite GTA protagonist. Also I'm not sure about playing as a woman. How would I gently caress the hookers and kill them for my money afterwards?

I remember when the game was releasing reading some gaming forum and one dude made a long post about how playing as a black person would break his immersion and he had no way to connect with the ghetto life so the game didn't appeal to him like the others did. It was ironic since he had a Zelda Avatar and signature implying he finds more humanity in Elfs in a fantasy universe than a black person in a representation of places that actually do exist.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bef posted:

Man there were all kind of weird racist assholes who HATED the fact that CJ was black. They even made mods to get white CJ and sometimes even make all the people in Grove Street white.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cop by day, car thief by night.

So :rice: then? We'd need to mod the cars to have 12 forward gears.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

bef posted:

Who didn't like playing as CJ? He's by far my favorite GTA protagonist.

GTA fans saying they loved Tommy Vercetti but hate 'gangster culture' was especially stupid. But Tommy's the most stereotypical gangster possible and these games have always been about gangsters! Oh wait it's some kind of racist code meaning they hate black people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bef posted:

See: Saint's Row 2/3.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bef posted:

I think some goon said (and I agree wholeheartedly) that the best GTA protagonist would be a gay black woman. Not only would it be awesome, it would drive literally every bigot away from the series forever.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think some goon said (and I agree wholeheartedly) that the best GTA protagonist would be a gay black woman. Not only would it be awesome, it would drive literally every bigot away from the series forever.

She's hilarious too, so she'd be perfect. Make it happen, Rockstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.

Coffee And Pie posted:

So basically Snoop from The Wire.

I'd play this for the rest of my life if only they put all the important mission details in Snoop's dialogue so I can read goons posting online about how they can't understand a word she's saying and they refuse to turn on subtitles because they didn't pay to read a videogame. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread